Return to River Country . . . And More! A New TCD Trip Report- April 2010

One of these days, I intend to walk all the way down the far side of this canal. I think I will come out at the Osprey Ridge Golf Course, and that there will be a bridge there to get me back across. I’ll bet that I will see something interesting along the way. I’ll be sure to let you know if I do.

Your assumption about the canal walk eventually leading to the GC is correct. It leads to another gate down somewhere behind the 1900 loop then continues down to where it can be seen off Vista Blvd.

TCD, I love reading your reports! Your mind works in great and mysterious ways. Lurkers like me, and many others, have missed your musings here. Welcome Back and Thank You!

So, we all need to put applications in at Lazy Days RV. ;)

You have got to be one of the most observant people I've ever met. A Supersleuth if I ever did see one. :thumbsup2

That IS interesting! My only question is, does Lazy Days send a cleaning crew over to the Fort from time to time to clean it up? Or have they contracted with Disney mousekeeping to do that? Because if not, that has got to be one dirty, stinky fiver!

So, on your next trip to the Fort, you need to conduct a stake out on that site, and see if a cleaning crew ever shows up.

Im thinking that the next time you see people leaving the fiver with their luggage, sneak into the fiver and get some shots of the inside.

TCD....you need some "TCD Sluethed here" stickers, and leave them behind in inconspicuos spots that youve scooped. A legend has to leave his mark!!!

So, we all need to put applications in at Lazy Days RV. ;)

You have got to be one of the most observant people I've ever met. A Supersleuth if I ever did see one. :thumbsup2

Thanks, Denise. That's me, all right . . . Supersleuth! I am not sure if I am observant, or just plain old nosey. There are a lot of people who stay at the Fort for long periods. What made me wonder about this trailer is that it is kind of in an inconspicuous spot, and there is really nothing that would call attention to it. Which is probably intentional.

That IS interesting! My only question is, does Lazy Days send a cleaning crew over to the Fort from time to time to clean it up? Or have they contracted with Disney mousekeeping to do that? Because if not, that has got to be one dirty, stinky fiver!

So, on your next trip to the Fort, you need to conduct a stake out on that site, and see if a cleaning crew ever shows up.

You know, Dave, that is an excellent question. I wonder how they handle that? It seems pretty clear that the Fort Castmembers take care of the outside. I wonder if they could use a caretaker for when the trailer is not occupied? I will consider your request for a follow up report.

TCD

Im thinking that the next time you see people leaving the fiver with their luggage, sneak into the fiver and get some shots of the inside.

TCD....you need some "TCD Sluethed here" stickers, and leave them behind in inconspicuos spots that youve scooped. A legend has to leave his mark!!!

You have some worthy ideas there, Rog. I do need to see the inside of that trailer. We did exchange some brief greetings with the ladies who were there over Halloween. I think I could turn on the TCD charm and get into that trailer. I will put this in my to-do file for a future visit.

TCD

Well, I must say this thread is moving along at a nice pace, and we have had some good discussion. Yes?

So, it seems like it would be a good time for my next post.

One of the things I always do when visiting the Fort is to read the bulletin boards. There is a bulletin board at each comfort station. There are also bulletin boards at both trading posts. The thing about these bulletin boards is that there is a fascinating lack of consistency. There might be a very important announcement posted on one of the boards, but not on any of the others. Some bulletin boards have stuff on them that is over a year old. Others are pretty much up to date. I wonder who is in charge of the bulletin boards? Well, whoever it is, he or she is not a stickler for details.

I found this surprising tid-bit on the Meadow Trading Post bulletin board (I had to take my photo at this angle to avoid a bad glare):

FWApril2010391.jpg

What is this?

A bear?

In Fort Wilderness?

Have we heard about this before now?

Note the letter is dated January, 2010.

I have seen some trip reports posted relating to visits after January, 2010.

But, I don't think I've seen a mention of a black bear sighting. In fact, this is the first that I have heard of a black bear ever being seen at the Fort.

So, that raises two important questions:

1. How come nobody told us about this?

and

2. Does anybody have a bear costume I can borrow?

Has anyone seen a bear at the Fort?

This one doesn't count:

ThanksgivingFW2008211.jpg

(for those of you requesting a photo of TCD, that is me there on the right, with one of my DD's on the left and Mrs. TCD in the middle)

So, read the bulletin boards!

TCD

OK, now if you don't post I'll know you're dead. :lmao:
Correct. Disney's black helicopters have NOTHING on a woman scorned. So, it might be wise to retract, delete, or otherwise eliminate that last post. Because I know that all of us Fiends could not (pardon the very lame pun) bear to lose you again. :rotfl2:

(for those of you requesting a photo of TCD, that is me there on the right, with one of my DD's on the left and Mrs. TCD in the middle)

:lmao:

I think that this has got to be my favorite trip report thus far. I can't wait to read more! popcorn::

Hey TCD, thanks for coming back and the new trip reports!

When I was at the Fort for Thanksgiving 2009, I ventured onto the Swamp Trail and after making my way through some brush I was able to find portions of the boardwalk. You had to walk past the fallen tree that you took pictures of and when the trail had a slight turn to the right you went straight in and the boardwalk started about 20 feet off the trail. This wasn't really over any water so there wasn't much to see and you couldn't get to far because of fallen trees but I did walk on part of it. At the time I only had my blackberry with me so I couldn't get very good pictures, but I'll see if I can find them.

Thanks again for the awesome reports, they help get me through the work day!

Just wanted to comment about the bugs this week
DD had what looked like the start of a unicorn horn on her forehead, 4 bumps on her leg and a huge one on her backside.
DS had a quarter size hard lump on the back of his one leg we had to keep a bandaid on all week.
DH and I are just not sweet enough, we can away bite free

You are one brave man :worship:

TCD I actually read about bears at the Fort back in 2007 (I think it was 2007) On Intercot but there was not a lot of info.

I did read that same bulletin back when I was looking at RC when the tractors and bulldozers were around. But I never heard anything more about the bear. Maybe he lives on the north side of property, there's lots of wooded areas, and a nature preserve just on the other side of 535.
It's really funny to see ones that have been there for ages.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter