Return to River Country . . . And More! A New TCD Trip Report- April 2010

My folks were there the end of February and heard about the bears. Dad was out for an early morning bike ride and came across several CM gathered around a trash container that was a mess with trash scattered all around (near the cabin area). When he asked, he was told that a large male black bear had been caught and relocated but that there were two smaller bears that they had not been able to catch.

OK, now if you don't post I'll know you're dead. :lmao:

Is he dead again? ...and just as I was beginning to experience a legend at work!

Correct. Disney's black helicopters have NOTHING on a woman scorned. So, it might be wise to retract, delete, or otherwise eliminate that last post. Because I know that all of us Fiends could not (pardon the very lame pun) bear to lose you again. :rotfl2:

:rotfl2: bear to lose you again. :lmao: Good one! (I love bad puns!)

[

ThanksgivingFW2008211.jpg

(for those of you requesting a photo of TCD, that is me there on the right, with one of my DD's on the left and Mrs. TCD in the middle)

Hey TCD what is the slogan on your Life is Good shirt? I always look for the camping theme shirts and I don't remember that one.
Thanks

Just wanted to comment about the bugs this week
DD had what looked like the start of a unicorn horn on her forehead, 4 bumps on her leg and a huge one on her backside.
DS had a quarter size hard lump on the back of his one leg we had to keep a bandaid on all week.
DH and I are just not sweet enough, we can away bite free

You are one brave man :worship:

We just got back Sunday and I have the darn bug bites all over my legs! I was fine til we went to the Camfire sing-a-long Sat. night. That's where they got me! The bites are huge! :eek:

Dude.....thats SOOOO wrong!!!!:lmao: I hope she doesnt read the boards!!!

OK, now if you don't post I'll know you're dead. :lmao:

Correct. Disney's black helicopters have NOTHING on a woman scorned. So, it might be wise to retract, delete, or otherwise eliminate that last post. Because I know that all of us Fiends could not (pardon the very lame pun) bear to lose you again. :rotfl2:

You are so bad!

What?

A man can't post a photo of his DW here on the Disboards?

And I suppose you all look better first thing in the morning before that first cup of coffee?

But, after studying this photo some more, I realize that I do need to make a retraction. That is not Mrs. TCD in the photo. It's really my mother in law. I swear Mrs. TCD is looking more and more like her every day. Some times I have to look hard to tell the difference. So, after studying the photo, I will retract my previous caption. That's definitely my mother in law. She is a little hairier than Mrs. TCD.

Hey TCD, thanks for coming back and the new trip reports!

When I was at the Fort for Thanksgiving 2009, I ventured onto the Swamp Trail and after making my way through some brush I was able to find portions of the boardwalk. You had to walk past the fallen tree that you took pictures of and when the trail had a slight turn to the right you went straight in and the boardwalk started about 20 feet off the trail. This wasn't really over any water so there wasn't much to see and you couldn't get to far because of fallen trees but I did walk on part of it. At the time I only had my blackberry with me so I couldn't get very good pictures, but I'll see if I can find them.

Thanks again for the awesome reports, they help get me through the work day!

I would like to see these photos. I am fairly certain that the boardwalk was gone by 2009. If you have photos from Thanksgiving 2009 showing the boardwalk, then that would be contrary to what I have seen and been told. I very well could have bad information.

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
oooooh! ooooh! ooooh!!
I know the answer!!

Thunder

:yay:

Nice job. I can't confirm or deny this answer. I will have to check on this on a future visit.

Just wanted to comment about the bugs this week
DD had what looked like the start of a unicorn horn on her forehead, 4 bumps on her leg and a huge one on her backside.
DS had a quarter size hard lump on the back of his one leg we had to keep a bandaid on all week.
DH and I are just not sweet enough, we can away bite free

You are one brave man :worship:

Wow! Sorry about all the bug bites! I have visited the Fort a lot, and we never bring bug spray. We have never needed it. But, if things continue the way they are right now, everyone had better bring the bug spray!

TCD I actually read about bears at the Fort back in 2007 (I think it was 2007) On Intercot but there was not a lot of info.

Really? I have never heard of a bear (live) at the Fort until I saw this letter on the bulletin board.

My folks were there the end of February and heard about the bears. Dad was out for an early morning bike ride and came across several CM gathered around a trash container that was a mess with trash scattered all around (near the cabin area). When he asked, he was told that a large male black bear had been caught and relocated but that there were two smaller bears that they had not been able to catch.

Thanks for this confirmation. I had not heard of this. So, according to your dad, there were still some bears on the loose!

Is he dead again? ...and just as I was beginning to experience a legend at work!

Not to worry, I am still here, and a new post will be coming right up!

[

ThanksgivingFW2008211.jpg

(for those of you requesting a photo of TCD, that is me there on the right, with one of my DD's on the left and Mrs. TCD in the middle)

Hey TCD what is the slogan on your Life is Good shirt? I always look for the camping theme shirts and I don't remember that one.
Thanks

Can you read it now?

LIGShirt.jpg

Mrs. TCD saw this in a catalog and ordered it for me. I have never seen it in a store, or on anyone else. I really like it.

We just got back Sunday and I have the darn bug bites all over my legs! I was fine til we went to the Camfire sing-a-long Sat. night. That's where they got me! The bites are huge! :eek:

Wow! Sorry about the bugs. Supposedly there are spies from Fort management monitoring this site. I believe there is at least one full time person assigned to read all TCD posts. So, I am directing this to you. Yes you, Disboard Fort monitor- please get out of the office and go spray for mosquitoes. Thank you.

TCD

A short while I ago in this report, I mentioned that I would be sharing a photo of something that I saw at Typhoon Lagoon. Guess what? It’s time.

So, with no further adieu, here it is:

FWApril2010193.jpg

TA DA!

I know what you are thinking.

You are underwhelmed.

This is what you have been waiting for?

What the heck is this thing, and what does it have to do with Fort Wilderness?

Slow down, camper.

What you are looking at there is a genuine Fort Wilderness Rail Road car.

Sitting ignominiously in the Typhoon Lagoon parking lot.

You say, how do you know that is a Fort Wilderness Railroad car?

Well, here are some photos posted by Disboard member Discamper of a restored Railroad car that was visiting the Fort last year:

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

And here is a photo submitted by DaveinTN of a Fort Wilderness Railroad car which was being used as a ticket window at Pleasure Island:

2799679500101147942S425x425Q85.jpg

And here are some more photos of the Typhoon Lagoon car:

FWApril2010194.jpg

FWApril2010198.jpg

FWApril2010199.jpg

FWApril2010200.jpg

Please note that some genius has attached boat pontoons onto this railcar.

Oy!

In this shot, you can see that a window air conditioning unit was installed on one side:

FWApril2010195.jpg

As you can see, there are padlocked doors on both sides of the car. But, I was able to open the doors just a crack to take these photos:

FWApril2010196.jpg

FWApril2010197.jpg

So, this priceless heirloom, and reminder of the glory days of Fort Wilderness sits rotting in the parking lot of Typhoon Lagoon, relegated to the role of storage closet.

Classic.

And sad.

TCD

Seems to be a reoccurring theme here...when Disney is done with something, let it sit and rot (and hope that no one finds out!). Sooner or later it will be just a memory...sad

Ive read articles about disney literally burrying some of their old, no longer in use props, ride components, etc.....I guess its better to recycle them as storage closets than lay them 6 feet under.

We have seen an old Fort Wilderness Rail Car. So, why don’t we take a look at the Fort and see what evidence we can see of the old railroad?

One of the best places to see the old rail bed is between the 700 and 800 loops. There is a stretch of track that is very clear here. The rails are gone, but the ties and rock remain.

If you head out toward the pet walk area from the 700 loop, and turn right, behind the 700 loop, you can see where the tracks continued on through the woods, along the back of the 700 loop. From here, the trains would curve around, and stop at the Settlement Depot.

For the past few years, the area where the track entered the woods behind the 700 loop has been so overgrown that it was impossible to go more than a few feet into the woods. There have been reports of clearing going on in this area, but on my most recent visits, I still found it impossible to follow the old tracks very far at all.

It was not always like this. While the train was before the TCD gang’s time at the Fort, the tracks were clear enough to walk in the early years of our visits to the Fort. We often would start out behind the 800 loop, and walk the tracks all the way to the Settlement where we would visit the petting zoo. But, it has been a long, long time since we have been able to do that.

Well, on this visit, I found that a combination of clearing, and die-back of some of the vines and brush from this past cold winter has opened up a larger stretch of the old tracks behind the 700 loop.

Please join me as we take a look.

Talk about a stroll down memory lane . . .

Our journey begins here at the pet walk entrance from the 700 loop:

FWApril2010285.jpg

From here, you just a walk a little bit, and you will clearly see the old rail bed. This is what it looks like if you turn to the right, where the tracks ran behind the 700 loop:

FWApril2010286.jpg

FWApril2010287.jpg

FWApril2010288.jpg

Do you see that fallen tree lying across the track in the background of the photos above? That was pretty much where you used to hit a solid wall of vines, thorns and brush.

But, on this visit, as I walked up, there was clearly space to continue forward:

FWApril2010289.jpg

You can see in the photo above, that there are a lot of dead vines and plants currently. I am sure this will not last for long. Now that it is warming up, it won’t be long before these tracks get obscured again.

And, this is what you see just past that fallen tree:

FWApril2010290.jpg

These tracks are not very far from the campsites in the 700 loop. In fact, here is what you see if you turn your head to the right here:

FWApril2010293.jpg

Up to this point along the old tracks, there are a lot of missing or partially buried ties. Along this portion of the track, however, the ties are quite visible, and appear to be in better condition:

FWApril2010295.jpg

Now here is something that I found to be quite interesting. It was always my understanding that at this point on the train’s course, the tracks curved to the right, and the trains would continue on to the Settlement Depot. But, if you look at these next two photos, you will see that the track splits here, with one set of tracks going off to the left, and the other continuing on straight ahead:

FWApril2010296.jpg

FWApril2010305.jpg

Do you see the two sets of tracks? One is off to the left, and you can see the other set just right of the center of these photos, under the small trees. I never knew about this. I don’t think the train went anywhere in this area other than the Settlement Depot. And, my understanding is that the trains were kept in a building somewhere up near the Outpost area. So, I am not sure what this split track is all about here. But, there are definitely two sets of tracks, and here are some photos of each set:

FWApril2010297.jpg

FWApril2010298.jpg

FWApril2010299.jpg

FWApril2010300.jpg

FWApril2010301.jpg

As you can see in these photos, the vegetation closes back in around the tracks here. I think you could probably press through here, and find your way to the Settlement Depot. But, I didn’t. The mosquitoes were bad, and I had already had enough of them from my swamp adventure. So, this is where I turned back. Here we are heading back along the 700 loop:

FWApril2010302.jpg

You can see the campers in the 700 loop from here:

FWApril2010303.jpg

FWApril2010306.jpg

Here we are heading out:

FWApril2010307.jpg

And, this is a shot of what the old rail bed looks like between the 700 and 800 loops. In this photo, the 700 loop is to the left, and the 800 loop is to the right:

FWApril2010308.jpg

In my next post, we are going to look at the old railroad path in a completely different part of the campground. A part that even TCD had not visited before. And, I will be reporting on a discovery that will be of major interest to any train buffs out there. And I have some pretty cool photos to share, too. If I do say so myself.

TCD

GREAT stuff!!! How do you do it? How do you just happen upon stuff thats sooo friggen cool???? I would LOVE to go on a morning walk with you one day at the fort, god knows WHAT you'll stumble on!!!

For our Nov 2009 trip, we had site 729 which backed up to the railroad bed. And I mean it literally backed up to it...there was very little space between the back of the site and the old track bed. It was very cool for me, as I went up there a couple of times with my chair and actually sat on the tracks! It was a decent elevation, and the brush had all been cleared so it was pretty cool. Now, back when the trains were running it would have been TOO close for me, what with the noise of the train and the whistle that it likely blew when crossing the road by the Settlement depot, and also worrying about my kids around a moving train! But, these days it's cool.

I would like to see these photos. I am fairly certain that the boardwalk was gone by 2009. If you have photos from Thanksgiving 2009 showing the boardwalk, then that would be contrary to what I have seen and been told. I very well could have bad information.

TCD

Sorry I didn't get to look for the photos last night but I will tonight for sure. Just to clarify though this wasn't a portion of the boardwalk that was over the water, it must have been a portion where it wrapped back around in the woods.

And here is a photo submitted by DaveinTN of a Fort Wilderness Railroad car which was being used as a ticket window at Pleasure Island:

2799679500101147942S425x425Q85.jpg

And here are some more photos of the Typhoon Lagoon car:

FWApril2010194.jpg

FWApril2010198.jpg

FWApril2010199.jpg

FWApril2010200.jpg

Please note that some genius has attached boat pontoons onto this railcar.

Oy!

In this shot, you can see that a window air conditioning unit was installed on one side:

FWApril2010195.jpg

As you can see, there are padlocked doors on both sides of the car. But, I was able to open the doors just a crack to take these photos:

FWApril2010196.jpg

FWApril2010197.jpg

So, this priceless heirloom, and reminder of the glory days of Fort Wilderness sits rotting in the parking lot of Typhoon Lagoon, relegated to the role of storage closet.

Classic.

And sad.

TCD

Looking at the old photo... is it possible this is the same car that was used as a ticket booth before? It would not have been hard to truck it from PI to the parking lot across the street when they replaced them with the newer structures.

Sorry I didn't get to look for the photos last night but I will tonight for sure. Just to clarify though this wasn't a portion of the boardwalk that was over the water, it must have been a portion where it wrapped back around in the woods.

OK, got you. There was a portion of the trail with a boardwalk that went off into the woods for a bit and then looped back. But, I am pretty sure that I recall where this was located, and it has been long gone. Like I said earlier, though, I have been wrong before, and I may be wrong about this, too. If you have photos, I would sure like to see them.

Looking at the old photo... is it possible this is the same car that was used as a ticket booth before? It would not have been hard to truck it from PI to the parking lot across the street when they replaced them with the newer structures.

That thought crossed my mind, too. But, if this was just the old Pleasure Island ticket booth, I don't know why they would attach pontoons to it. Also, I put an arrow on this photo pointing to a column on the outside rear of the car:

FWApril2010194-1.jpg

This looks like it might be to hold up the counter which has been attached. It looks like the Pleasure Island ticket booth car has a counter, but it does not have this column. But, if this was always just used for storage, I don't see why the counter was added to this one. I think this car must have been used for something else before it ended up in the Typhoon Lagoon parking lot. I just don't know what. I wonder if it was ever actually in Typhoon Lagoon? For some reason, I have this vague recollection that there may have been a rail car in Typhoon Lagoon.

Does anyone reading along know?

TCD

As of March 10, 2010, the two PI ticket booths constructed from old FWRR cars were still in place at the entrance to PI, per this blog post: http://savepleasureisland.blogspot.com/2010/03/pi-update-ticket-booth-1torn-down.html

Wow...another great Trip Report from TCD!

I'll never know The Fort the way some of you remember and it's such a shame to see such great pieces of Disney memories/history just going to waste!

Thanks for sharing! I enjoy your reports and thanks to the others in the thread that contribute their pics/stories along the way!

OK, got you. There was a portion of the trail with a boardwalk that went off into the woods for a bit and then looped back. But, I am pretty sure that I recall where this was located, and it has been long gone. Like I said earlier, though, I have been wrong before, and I may be wrong about this, too. If you have photos, I would sure like to see them.

That thought crossed my mind, too. But, if this was just the old Pleasure Island ticket booth, I don't know why they would attach pontoons to it. Also, I put an arrow on this photo pointing to a column on the outside rear of the car:

FWApril2010194-1.jpg

This looks like it might be to hold up the counter which has been attached. It looks like the Pleasure Island ticket booth car has a counter, but it does not have this column. But, if this was always just used for storage, I don't see why the counter was added to this one. I think this car must have been used for something else before it ended up in the Typhoon Lagoon parking lot. I just don't know what. I wonder if it was ever actually in Typhoon Lagoon? For some reason, I have this vague recollection that there may have been a rail car in Typhoon Lagoon.

Does anyone reading along know?

TCD

was there one where they handed out masks to swim through the shark tank years ago. i thought i remembered a train car there but am not certain

As of March 10, 2010, the two PI ticket booths constructed from old FWRR cars were still in place at the entrance to PI, per this blog post: http://savepleasureisland.blogspot.com/2010/03/pi-update-ticket-booth-1torn-down.html

Dave- It just so happens that I paid a visit to Downtown Disney on this trip, and it also just so happens that this was just one day after I saw the old rail car at Typhoon Lagoon. The ticket windows currently leftover at Pleasure Island are most definitely not from the FWRR. I took a good look at these things. They are about double the size of a FWRR car. They appear to be built to resemble rail cars, they do not look like they were ever real rail cars. In the photo posted on the blog, you can see that the windows are different, too. This blogger posted bad info!

Although it is hard to see how much larger these new ticket booths are than an old FWRR car, I think you can see from these photos that there is no way these new ticket booths are old FWRR cars. In fact, I don't think they are real rail cars at all:

FWApril2010200.jpg

0210_PI_049.jpg

0210_PI_050.jpg

TCD

Dave- It just so happens that I paid a visit to Downtown Disney on this trip, and it also just so happens that this was just one day after I saw the old rail car at Typhoon Lagoon. The ticket windows currently leftover at Pleasure Island are most definitely not from the FWRR. I took a good look at these things. They are about double the size of a FWRR car. They appear to not be built to resemble rail cars, they do not look like they were ever real rail cars. In the photo posted on the blog, you can see that the windows are different, too. This blogger posted bad info!

TCD
A blogger who's purpose is to save a collection of nightclubs posted bad info about the old FW Railroad cars?? That can't be! :rotfl2:

Thanks for setting that straight. So, if the two tickets booths remaining at PI are not original FWRR cars, was the one from PI that I had posted last year and you reposted above different? Was it truly a FWRR car? It sure looks to be, and if so, where did it go?

TCD,

I would love to have someone like you to give my family a tour of Fort Wilderness in June when we go for the first time. I am keeping notes because my kids love exploring and I want to tell them the history of FW. So how about making plans to visit the Fort again in June, whatcha say? We will even let you share our sight, we won't smoke, you can tie clothesline and hammocks to the trees and you can ride my kids bikes :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter