Rhubarb Anyone?

Snowwark

DIS Veteran
I don't grow rhubarb, but my parents do, and there's enough for the whole family.

I just finished baking some Honey Rhubarb muffins, and they taste pretty good! I also like to make rhubarb sour cream pie, and enjoy stewed rhubarb on custard.

Do you have some rhubarb in your garden, and if you do, what do you make with it?

Kim :D

I've never even TASTED rhubarb much less grown it.

So enlighten me.....

WHY would anyone eat rhubarb?

WHAT makes it special?

WHO grows it?

WHEN they grow it, what do they do with it?

Rhubarb Muffins?????

REALLY????

You've never eaten rhubarb Gina? The other day you said you didn't know what a butter tart was......I'm getting worried about you Bud! :p

Okay, here goes;

WHY? Because it tastes good!!

WHAT? It's tangy, tart, taste!

WHO? I told you, my parents!! :p ;)

WHEN? Cut it, wash it well, use it mostly for baking.

*When we were kids we would eat the stalks raw (washed first of course), by dipping them in a little dish of sugar to cut the tartness.

Really, rhubarb muffins, really good! :) :p :)

It seems that demand for it has fallen off around here and most farm stands stopped selling it, so I had to plant my own. I love strawberry-rhubarb pie!!!

Thanks Kim, I've just bookmarked the site.........I love rhubarb and yes I remember when I was little going out into the garden and cutting a stalk and dipping it into a small bowl of sugar.:D Yummmmmm!;) :sunny:

Dh said NO RHUBARB!!!!!!!!! It would take over the whole yard. I LOVE RHUBARB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mmmmmm, I love rhubarb and grow some in the back of my garden. I'm giving it a bit longer to grow this year because the stalks are a little on the skinny side. I make this very tasty dessert recipe that my neighbour gave me (I always give her some rhubarb). I haven't yet looked in the 300 rhubarb recipes, Kim, but I'm going to bookmark it for future reference:

RHUBARB DESSERT

Base:
1 cup flour
5 tblsp icing sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine
Mix well and pat into a 9x9 square pan. Bake 15 min @ 350.

Topping:
2 eggs beaten with 1 1/2 cups sugar (I use a little less)
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup flour
2 cups rhubarb
Mix well in food processor and pour over baked base. Bake at 350 for 35 ~ 40 min. Cool and cut into squares.

Serve with ice cream or whipped cream. :)

Yes I grow rhubarb, I have 2 large circles of it in the far corner of the garden. We love strawberry-rhubarb pie, rhubarb cobbler, rhubarb squares and muffins.

I will have to check out some of those rhubarb recipes, Thanks Kim.

That sounds good Julie, and not too complicated, thank goodness! :)

I might make it this afternoon.

Thank you! :D

Another ignorant one here. The only time I would hear the word "rhubarb" would be in some old movie. Forget about me ever tasting it!

Thanks for the recipe site, I will add this to my stash of other rhubarb recipes! I LOVE rhubarb. I grew up eating the sauce at dinner just like applesauce.

I make my FIL several cases of rhubarb/strawberry jam every year. could never find a recipe so i always just came up with mine. He is due for another case soon.

If you get Turkey Hill Ice Cream they have a feature flavor called Strawberry Rhubarb Pie that is Yummy! I buy several cartons at a time and stash them in the freezer.

Hey amid chaos.............you can send any extra jam this way!!!!:p

Hi pas2, welcome to the Garden ! :D

TimNDansMom!!
Julie, I made your rhubarb dessert yesterday, it turned out very yummy!! Thank you for the recipe! :)

:wave: Hi Kim and Julie! I had to pop over and check out this thread after you talking about Julie's recipe on the riddle thread yesterday.
I don't have a garden, so consequently I've never visited here before. But if there are recipes involved, I'm there!

Here is the recipe for the Rhubarb Custard Pie that my mother always made during rhubarb season. My brother just asked for this the other day for a friend of his.

3/4 cup sugar
1 heaping Tbsp. flour
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup milk
Beat all together well.
Mix in diced rhubarb, pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake at 450F for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350F for additional 20 minutes.
Make meringue of 3 egg whites and 6 Tbsp. sugar and cover pie. Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Cool and enjoy!

Glad you liked it Kim, I have a hard time stopping at one square!
Your mother's Rhubarb Custard Pie recipe sounds easy enough for even me to make, Kathy! And yummy! Thank you! :D

Hi Kathy, welcome to the Garden ! :D

My DM makes a rhubarb custard pie that sounds very similar to yours, and it's excellent! I usually make sour cream rhubarb pie, but I'd like to try this one! Thank you! :D

BTW - You don't have to have a garden to visit us Baboo, stop by anytime, we'll be happy to see you!! :D

Julie, I didn't stop at one square, not even at two!! :)

Bumping this up, and hoping for a bumper crop!! :) :)

Time to make those pies and squares again!! Yummy! ::yes:: :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter