Rider Switch changing (Started June 16th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I don’t do touring plans so don’t plan to the minute so maybe that is my issue :rotfl:

It has take well over an hour for us to cycle through rides via FP (but you often don’t know how long it will takes) and that can get tough to keep a two-year old entertained - just having the flexibility to take them elsewhere and do the “switch” ride later makes things a lot easier and reduces stress for us

Oh I don’t really plan to the minute. I just use it to help me calculate how much time things will take. We haven’t been to WDW in 8 years, pre-FP+ and magic bands and everything so I want really confident in how much was reasonable to fit in. It is helpful to see how long they estimate it takes to get
Through the FP line and then through a second time with RS. At DL I find it accurate enough, we won’t stick to it to a T but it’s just a guide. ;-)

I didn’t have a single ride come up with a one hour wait just for one FP cycle, but we have CL 5-6 days mostly. I hope that is not the norm!

Rider Swap is sort of like FP but not quite. This is for people with young children. So say one parent sits out and waits with a young child and one rides. Then the other sits with the child after parent one is done and goes through the FP line.

Sorry, I was unclear. I was just saying that FP isn't the only way to ride rides in response to the idea that smaller children wouldn't be able to ride anything if everyone needs a FP. You can do standby and a lot of rides and attractions are fine that way. Or book a mix of FPs

I always felt that while using RS to the fullest gave an advantage to families with small children, it was more of a leveling the playing field advantage. I still think all else being equal, a family without small children can move through the same itinerary faster because they don’t need to do everything twice. I know I won’t miss the days we needed rider swap!

I’m glad my next trip will likely be far enough away that we’re done with rider swap. We didn’t really take advantage in order to get around tiers or get extra rides but we did often use it to get the littles on another ride (for example if we did 7DMT one adult would hold a Pooh FP instead and take the littles on at the same time). That wouldn’t work if everyone needed a FP.

The ability to stock up on RS passes and not use the immediately helped us big time, not to take advantage but because some rides take quite bit of time even in the FP line that sending 2 groups through is really time consuming and sometimes hard to do back to back, especially because sometimes it means the littles in the group kind of have to just hang around the area, depending what you’re near and crows levels. You’re talking almost an hour to get 2 groups through certain rides, especially those that have backed up FP lines.

If they’re making this change I’m not angry and I understand, but I sure am glad we got a form of RS that really helped us tour more effeciently with toddlers!

Sorry, I was unclear. I was just saying that FP isn't the only way to ride rides in response to the idea that smaller children wouldn't be able to ride anything if everyone needs a FP. You can do standby and a lot of rides and attractions are fine that way. Or book a mix of FPs

I think the point the previous poster was trying to make was that when the entire party didn’t need FP to use RS you could do things like book an adult or two with your too short kids to ride a nearby attraction without forcing those adults to miss out on the big ride.

Maybe not a big loss during slow times, but we were there in March and most rides were 30 mins+. In my example I used 7DMT and Pooh. Pooh had waits 50+ minutes when we were there if I remember correctly. Even Philharmagic had a good 15-20 minute wait. It is what it is if you can no longer do that, but I do think in practice they have eliminated that ability during moderate to busy times if they require near back to back rides with a 1 hour window. The ability to ride stand by isn’t really helpful in this scenario.

I think the point the previous poster was trying to make was that when the entire party didn’t need FP to use RS you could do things like book an adult or two with your too short kids to ride a nearby attraction without forcing those adults to miss out on the big ride.

That is what we generally did. Often because it was either too hard to make it back later or too much to ask the little to wait another cycle DH and I switched the rides we missed each year. The first year I missed BTMR and Soarin. DH missed EE and probably something else. The next year I missed Space, etc. It was really nice the times we were able to use RS and both went on but that was always more than an hour later. If this turns out to be true that there will be an hour limit I do feel that's removing a lot of the benefit of RS. I'm for removing the abused that were going on (I believe this change is the result of people selling RS tickets on eBay, personally), but the 1 hour limit seems excessively restrictive. But as others have said, it is what it is.

I think another point that often gets lost is that Disney discounts tickets for little ones with under 3 being completely free, but even those under 10 getting a price reduction.
But why does that really matter? That's a standard thing across many industries. The specific age selected will vary but many many many places have different pricing structures for adults and youths (movies, eating free and kids menus, attractions all over, hotels, airfare for lap babies, and many more).

I see little connection with that and rider switch TBH.

I actually think it's interesting regarding international Disney parks where Shanghai uses height (which for the purpose of this discussion is probably the most interesting), Tokyo has junior and child rates, Hong Kong and Paris uses age up to 11 for child pricing (age 12 and up is GA pricing) whereas DLR and WDW it's up to age 9 for child pricing (age 10 and up is adult pricing).

But why does that really matter? That's a standard thing across many industries. The specific age selected will vary but many many many places have different pricing structures for adults and youths (movies, eating free and kids menus, attractions all over, hotels, airfare for lap babies, and many more).

I see little connection with that and rider switch TBH.

I actually think it's interesting regarding international Disney parks where Shanghai uses height (which for the purpose of this discussion is probably the most interesting), Tokyo has junior and child rates, Hong Kong and Paris uses age up to 11 for child pricing (age 12 and up is GA pricing) whereas DLR and WDW it's up to age 9 for child pricing (age 10 and up is adult pricing).

When you have height restrictions, it’s good business to discount tickets for little kids. Imagine paying full price and you can’t even ride everything. Do they do it for other reasons? Sure.

I was specifically addressing the role of rider swap in somehow making up for the fact that families with little kids have to accommodate them in their touring. Rider swap is part of it, and discounted tickets is a part as well IMO.

I think this will be a big problem, especially when it comes to the newer rides with 1hr+ wait times. Last August, we were a group of 8 adults and 1 child (yeah, i know :) ) so we had 5 queue for Flights of Passage whilst the other 3 (the maximum for the fastpass) waited with the child for 2hrs +, in a hot park. I do prefer Universal's method where we all queued together, then you wait in a child swap room (bonus of most being air conditioned), then you swap immediately. Not noly is the swap immediate, you are actually waiting in a designated and cool area, clearing some of the pathways/shops where people are waiting. I think Disney would benefit a lot from adopting Universal's approach ?

I think this will be a big problem, especially when it comes to the newer rides with 1hr+ wait times. Last August, we were a group of 8 adults and 1 child (yeah, i know :) ) so we had 5 queue for Flights of Passage whilst the other 3 (the maximum for the fastpass) waited with the child for 2hrs +, in a hot park. I do prefer Universal's method where we all queued together, then you wait in a child swap room (bonus of most being air conditioned), then you swap immediately. Not noly is the swap immediate, you are actually waiting in a designated and cool area, clearing some of the pathways/shops where people are waiting. I think Disney would benefit a lot from adopting Universal's approach ?
That isn’t typical though. I’ve never waited an hour in a FP line at DL, and surveying the historical data on Touring Plans I don’t believe the waits are that long for any ride other than maybe just FoP and even then I couldn’t find a day in our trip that the FP line was estimated over 25 minutes.

I do believe when they do implement this that the FP lines will start moving along quicker because they can better plan who will be in them and when.

And please no. I would hate HATE to see Disney take Universal’s lead on RS. I would not be standing in line where I can’t have a stroller for hours with a 2 year old over and over all day. No. Just no. We went in January and I basically did no rides all day because the lines were all over 90 minutes. No way a toddler will hang in a line without being constantly carried, with no stroller. My kiddos are really well behaved and will wait patiently but you can only ask so much of a 2 year old.

That isn’t typical though. I’ve never waited an hour in a FP line at DL, and surveying the historical data on Touring Plans I don’t believe the waits are that long for any ride other than maybe just FoP and even then I couldn’t find a day in our trip that the FP line was estimated over 25 minutes.

I do believe when they do implement this that the FP lines will start moving along quicker because they can better plan who will be in them and when.

And please no. I would hate HATE to see Disney take Universal’s lead on RS. I would not be standing in line where I can’t have a stroller for hours with a 2 year old over and over all day. No. Just no. We went in January and I basically did no rides all day because the lines were all over 90 minutes. No way a toddler will hang in a line without being constantly carried, with no stroller. My kiddos are really well behaved and will wait patiently but you can only ask so much of a 2 year old.

Oh yeah, we were definitely lucky. When my niece was in her stroller, it was mainly on the rides where someone wasn't wanting to go on that attraction or some nice team member allowed us to take our stroller directly into the child swap room (think it was at Spiderman as there was easy access to the room). When she was waiting with us, there was enough in the queue to distract her, like the goblins at Gringotts. I think I mainly liked that we didn't need to separate our party, like you do at Disney. Again, thinking of FoP, that was 2hrs+ where our party was separated. If it was just my niece and her parents, one person would have been spending 2+ hours on their own which isn't really nice.
Ultimate ride switch movement would be: allowing us to keep our group together; an air conditioned room to wait, leading to an immediate swap, and the ability to keep any sleeping/resting toddler's in their strollers at the same time. :)

This is a link to the Disneyland webpage about Rider Switch:
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/rider-switch/

Since hearing about this, I’ve found some things where people have written about their experiences at Disneyland. From what I’ve read, the 1 hour time period is adjusted to longer, depending on what the actual wait is.

We have all had Fastpasses for attractions our daughter could not ride. Our first people went at the start of the Fastpass period and the rest planned to go near the end. The CMs were very understanding when the first riders took longer either in the queue or if there was a ride breakdown/delay. They were very aware of how long extra the attraction had taken and let us still use the expired Fastpasses.

Last edited:
When you have height restrictions, it’s good business to discount tickets for little kids. Imagine paying full price and you can’t even ride everything. Do they do it for other reasons? Sure.

I was specifically addressing the role of rider swap in somehow making up for the fact that families with little kids have to accommodate them in their touring. Rider swap is part of it, and discounted tickets is a part as well IMO.
It's not about height restrictions.

You made a comment that was basically to the tune of "be glad they offer a discount for age". That price difference is around is many different industries (some I've already listed) and certaintly shouldn't have any bearing on someone being ok with an adjustment in policy.

It would seem extremely odd not to have a price difference for children (no matter the age) so it has absolutely no bearing on acceptance of rider switch program. It doesn't make up for it at all. It's something that is standard.

though it does happen - we've had close to an hour on Space Mountain FP in WDW and about the same for Indy in Disneyland ... took us 1:45 to get both of us to cycle through on Indy in the FP - that was a long to to wait with my two youngest that were too short to ride.

This. Young children are not developmentally capable of being patient for hours. It's why daycares and preschools are always switching things up. I don't think my son's 2 year old class did anything other than going outside for more than 20 mins. I would much rather our party be separated than try to entertain the young one in line and a waiting room (YMMV). I also found that Universal was not good about providing appropriate distractions in the waiting room. They showed the first HP movie in the FJ room the time we used it. It's a scary movie for a child that young. Disney at least has appropriate IP to show in that situation I guess. I would still prefer how it is now though.

I learned something today. That Rider Switch does not mean waiting at the exit for parent 1 to ride, then boarding for the next round.
Totally unrelated is the observation that the Fast Pass queue is approaching standby in duration, an unintended consequence of putting so many exceptions out there?

I learned something today. That Rider Switch does not mean waiting at the exit for parent 1 to ride, then boarding for the next round.
Totally unrelated is the observation that the Fast Pass queue is approaching standby in duration, an unintended consequence of putting so many exceptions out there?

The FP queues became problematic after the switch to FP+ did they not? I don’t believe it’s rider switch having much of an impact. Could be wrong.

I would not say that. I don't think the FP lines are anywhere close to stby under normal conditions. Sometimes they get backed up. Often if a ride has been down or there's bad weather so a lot of people have anytime FPs. I don't think RS has much impact, but I also could be wrong about that.

The concept used to be, one parent rides then the other. No reason for it not to be an hour limit.

I'm sure if there is an hour wait through the fast pass line, they will accept them late.
Then let the waiting parent go up the exit, like other parks do. The fast pass lane for many rides takes 45+ minutes, so even with a swap it could take 2 hours or more for both parents to ride a ride back to back. Sometimes you can't wait for 2+ hours to ride one ride with a little kid.

If this is true, there is a good chance I'll cancel my currently planned trips and stay away until my daughter is tall enough to ride everything. But by then I might just go to different parks since I won't have to worry about kid friendliness.

Edit: I realize I am being a little over dramatic here, because I could make do. But we go to WDW because it is easy for all three of us to enjoy our time. If that is made harder, there are many other places we could spend our time.

Last edited:
This just made me laugh - oh, the horrors of taking little ones to Disney, it's so unfair, etc. Honestly? I think people should be grateful WDW does ride swap. They don't have to.
They also don't HAVE to have the business of families with children under 44" tall, but I doubt there would be a WDW for much longer if that were the case, considering that is their main demographic.

Six Flags, Universal and Cedar Fair all offer some version of Rider Swap. I personally already think Disney's is probably the worse overall for how long it can take to get the second parent through many of the rides, with the biggest benefit being that they can go do something else while the first is riding or can come back later when the kid is napping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter