Riding Rides During Fireworks

DisneyPhotographics

Earning My Ears
I've often heard WDW vloggers talk about riding rides during parades and fireworks as a strategy.

Last time we were in Magic Kingdom in January 2020 and the fireworks started we header for rides and each one of them was closed or closing. Not sure if that was a rare occurrence or due to the time of year but we were sad because we not only didn't get to ride rides, we missed getting any sort of view of the fireworks because it was insanely crowded.

Obviously Disney can change schedules and availability at any time, but are there some tried and true attractions that pretty much always stay open during fireworks and some that rarely do?

Thanks!

I've often heard WDW vloggers talk about riding rides during parades and fireworks as a strategy.

Last time we were in Magic Kingdom in January 2020 and the fireworks started we header for rides and each one of them was closed or closing. Not sure if that was a rare occurrence or due to the time of year but we were sad because we not only didn't get to ride rides, we missed getting any sort of view of the fireworks because it was insanely crowded.

Obviously Disney can change schedules and availability at any time, but are there some tried and true attractions that pretty much always stay open during fireworks and some that rarely do?

Thanks!
What were the park hours when you were there? There have been times when the park closed at 9 p.m. and the fireworks were at 9 p.m. If this was the case the strategy would not work.

Ideally, you would pick a night to do this when MK is open as late as possible.

What were the park hours when you were there? There have been times when the park closed at 9 p.m. and the fireworks were at 9 p.m. If this was the case the strategy would not work.

Ideally, you would pick a night to do this when MK is open as late as possible.
Good question. It was 2020, so I don't remember the exact day or park hours. I know we did stay on property in a value resort, so if it was extra magic hours we would have stayed later. (Ah, the good old days.) We always tried to go to MK when there was early extra magic morning or evening hours.

So if fireworks caps the evening then they shut down the rides at the same time? Might sound stupid not to assume that, but there are other hacks and things that aren't commonly known, so it doesn't hurt to ask.

I think they do two parades now. So we would definitely keep riding during the first one where more young families go see fireworks.

Thanks.

Since my kid refuses to watch Enchantment in protest of HEA leaving, we have watched from Dumbo the last few times. It’s fun seeing them while on the ride and you can hear the music and usually there’s no one on it so they let us keep riding without getting off.

You can get in line a minute before closing. You aren’t guaranteed to be on the ride during fireworks though. It depends on how many people are in line and the timing.

We used to call this the Late Night Double Dash Challenge.

The goal was to ride both Big Thunder and Splash Mtn during the same fireworks show without the aid of FastPass, Genie + etc.

The key was to hit Big Thunder first. Splash is too slow to unload late at night. Neither have much of a line late in the evening so this is very doable if you get in the first line at the right time.

Yeah, question of closing hours that night. We've been on Big Thunder during fireworks as well as SDMT (that was the best).

Agree about SDMT being a good ride for it. Done it a few times and it's quite fun.

Just a heads-up.

We were at the park tonight, and they blocked off all of the hub and Main Street before 7:30 and would not let ANYONE into any of the lands - they sent everyone backstage either side of Main Street. When you came back up Main Street, they sent you right backstage and to the base of Main Street. It was an absolute mess!

We always go for Big Thunder at Magic Kingdom and Test Track at Epcot... this assumes park closing is after fireworks or there are extended evening hours. To the OP... I have a feeling it had to do with park hours probably ending with fireworks during that time of "phased re-opening."

At Epcot we rode test track twice starting right around when fireworks started and again during the show and then left the park ahead of the fireworks crowds a few years back. DS at that time was more interested in riding that than the show and we had a lot of fun doing that.

Since my kid refuses to watch Enchantment in protest of HEA leaving, we have watched from Dumbo the last few times. It’s fun seeing them while on the ride and you can hear the music and usually there’s no one on it so they let us keep riding without getting off.

We are the same way but like to ride thunder mountain during it lol.

We always go for Big Thunder at Magic Kingdom and Test Track at Epcot... this assumes park closing is after fireworks or there are extended evening hours. To the OP... I have a feeling it had to do with park hours probably ending with fireworks during that time of "phased re-opening."
Actually this was like a month and a half before COVID shut everything down. It was like as soon as the fireworks started the rides no longer accepted people. We tried a few rides and gave up.

Just a heads-up.

We were at the park tonight, and they blocked off all of the hub and Main Street before 7:30 and would not let ANYONE into any of the lands - they sent everyone backstage either side of Main Street. When you came back up Main Street, they sent you right backstage and to the base of Main Street. It was an absolute mess!
Good to know. I'll be there next week and will assume the same. I guess if you were in a land you were ok, but if on Main Street or in the Hub out of luck. Sorry.

Just a heads-up.

That doesn't sound fun. We were there on Saturday Dec 2 and walked through the gates maybe 15 min before fireworks. Path to the right of Main Street was open so we took that and went right into Tomorrow Land (I didn't know there was fireworks viewing down that path, but it was taped on one side and folks were staking it out). Park was open until 11 and fireworks were at 9.

This is awesome….How old is this prodigal child of yours?? Clearly even a small child can see how inferior this show is…LOL (Finally saw it this week and rate it a solid “ok” 🙄—projections great, music soooo meh)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter