Rise of the Resistance...ride discussion (spoilers)

The fine details are what really make this attraction for me—the cut lines appearing on the wall of the interrogation room as we're being rescued, Kylo's light saber through the ceiling, the damage marks from the blasters... all of those moments had me shook!
“We’re with the resistance , we’re breaking you out”

Preface that we are FL resident premier passholders who spend a lot of time at WDW, Uni, SW, and BG ( We live in clearwater). We ride a lot of attractions and go by a ridability ( Reride) philosophy. Examples- Cheetah at BG Tampa has a very high ridability for us, the new Hagrid at IOA, Jungle Cruise or pirates at MK, Frozen at Epcot, and obviously for us the highest Ridability we score anything is FoP. So it isnt just coasters. Attractions we continuously go back to because we enjoy them and can always find something new and interesting.
That being said, Saturday 530AM get to studios, get in and just some advice, dont open your app till after you and your whole party are through the turnstiles. People who came in ahead of us were getting groups 40+ because of the delay when the app is open vs us, getting 23 by opening it after we entered the park. Just as an aside, we like star wars and see the movies, love Mandolorian, etc. But, we arent the dress up type. Just go and enjoy. We also believe Pandora is themed beyond anything else in Orlando. Including Potter.
Impressions is that we were not blown away by the land. It is detailed, it is neat, but, unlike Pandora, I didnt feel isolated to a specific place. I knew the rest of the park was right through the walkway whereas in pandora, you feel isolated and part of the environment.
Rode Smugglers Run with about a 10 minute wait. If you are in the back 2 groupings of seats ( Gunners, Engineers) the ride is convoluted and to do your "task" it is difficult to really watch the attraction. The pilots we had were complaining that the directions are limited and they couldnt really follow the storyline. Overall it felt like Star Tours without real direction. Not something Ill run to at all.
RoTR- Got in line at around 850, on the ride by 950. So, here is where Ill be crucified but this is MY opinion. Its super high tech and cool. It is super immersive. The CM playing the role in the room where they assign colors was excellent. But, after we finished the ride, I kept wondering when this amazing "ride" that is the end all beat all would start. For those who have been to SW, this felt like the penguin ride without the spinning and quick stops and starts. It tells a story, but, from the time you are in one vehicle for the "preshow" expecting the ride to the ride itself, I kept waiting for something, anything. And it just never happened.
As I said, Immersion, technology...A+--rideability for us- D. FOP is a better rideability attraction. Hagrid at IOA def. is. IN MY opinion. I just wasnt blown away at all by the land nor either attraction.
And make sure you get coffee before you get there or stand in the mile long starbucks line.

Overall wouldnt tell someone its awful or dont do it. May be your cup of tea and judge it for YOUR perspective and your ideal ride, but, from someone who goes a ton and loves great attractions, we didnt find either of these to be that.

Fire away.

A new milestone in theme park entertainment. This is a leap forward for attractions, the same way that Spiderman was 20 years ago, and yes, I've been on Pooh's Hunny Hunt, I've been on Mystic Manor. I haven't been on Hagrid's yet, and I haven't been on Shanghai Pirates, though I've seen video and I would have said it was probably the #1 attraction prior to this one if I rode it in person.

For me this is global #1 and I'm so happy it's in my "backyard".

It's NOT just the various elements that have been "used" before, it's the combination of them, done brilliantly and with a cohesive story that really puts YOU right in the middle of the action. This is way beyond a "ride"...., and second, there's a ton of other things going on. Yes, it relies on Cast Members to help the roles, but they've done it great and honestly I would be happy to be one of the First Order guards for a day!

Also, if you don't want music in your movie based theme park attractions, maybe you should only go on non-movie based attractions. Music is an integral and VITAL part of movie-making, and in turn, also a large part of theme park design. It sets moods, tempos, enhances the emotion of action, of drama, etc.

Preface that we are FL resident premier passholders who spend a lot of time at WDW, Uni, SW, and BG ( We live in clearwater). We ride a lot of attractions and go by a ridability ( Reride) philosophy. Examples- Cheetah at BG Tampa has a very high ridability for us, the new Hagrid at IOA, Jungle Cruise or pirates at MK, Frozen at Epcot, and obviously for us the highest Ridability we score anything is FoP. So it isnt just coasters. Attractions we continuously go back to because we enjoy them and can always find something new and interesting.
That being said, Saturday 530AM get to studios, get in and just some advice, dont open your app till after you and your whole party are through the turnstiles. People who came in ahead of us were getting groups 40+ because of the delay when the app is open vs us, getting 23 by opening it after we entered the park. Just as an aside, we like star wars and see the movies, love Mandolorian, etc. But, we arent the dress up type. Just go and enjoy. We also believe Pandora is themed beyond anything else in Orlando. Including Potter.
Impressions is that we were not blown away by the land. It is detailed, it is neat, but, unlike Pandora, I didnt feel isolated to a specific place. I knew the rest of the park was right through the walkway whereas in pandora, you feel isolated and part of the environment.
Rode Smugglers Run with about a 10 minute wait. If you are in the back 2 groupings of seats ( Gunners, Engineers) the ride is convoluted and to do your "task" it is difficult to really watch the attraction. The pilots we had were complaining that the directions are limited and they couldnt really follow the storyline. Overall it felt like Star Tours without real direction. Not something Ill run to at all.
RoTR- Got in line at around 850, on the ride by 950. So, here is where Ill be crucified but this is MY opinion. Its super high tech and cool. It is super immersive. The CM playing the role in the room where they assign colors was excellent. But, after we finished the ride, I kept wondering when this amazing "ride" that is the end all beat all would start. For those who have been to SW, this felt like the penguin ride without the spinning and quick stops and starts. It tells a story, but, from the time you are in one vehicle for the "preshow" expecting the ride to the ride itself, I kept waiting for something, anything. And it just never happened.
As I said, Immersion, technology...A+--rideability for us- D. FOP is a better rideability attraction. Hagrid at IOA def. is. IN MY opinion. I just wasnt blown away at all by the land nor either attraction.
And make sure you get coffee before you get there or stand in the mile long starbucks line.

Overall wouldnt tell someone its awful or dont do it. May be your cup of tea and judge it for YOUR perspective and your ideal ride, but, from someone who goes a ton and loves great attractions, we didnt find either of these to be that.

Fire away.
I merged you to the correct thread

Fire away.

Don't worry! Opinions are just that. What a boring world we would live in if everybody liked the same things, eh? Your view of RotR and Galaxy's Edge is my view of Pandora and FoP. I may be the only one who despises FoP and is wholly underwhelmed by Pandora...but there has to be someone who hates puppies, right? LOL!

I thought the same thing, but we weren't really evacuating, so much as we were being recruited and transported, no? But the real question is, the roaming troopers, first order dudes and Kylo Ren, are they supposed to be wandering the land AFTER your encounter with them or before?

Well I've ignored bigger plot holes before...so not a biggie.
I think the FO knows that the Resistance is somewhere on Batuu, but haven't managed to find them. Rey, Chewie, and Vi are still on the planet. I think Ride takes place before the "action" of the land.

I think the FO knows that the Resistance is somewhere on Batuu, but haven't managed to find them. Rey, Chewie, and Vi are still on the planet. I think Ride takes place before the "action" of the land.

Hmmm...I still think the ride happens, chronologically, first (which is why it is the very first thing you encounter when entering the land..main entrance). Then as you wander the land after the ride you encounter troopers, First Order dudes and Kylo who now know the Resistance is on Batuu thanks to the ride encounter. Otherewise, the ride wouldn't make sense. There would be no surprise Star Destroyer or tie-fighter attack. One would expect them if Kylo Ren himself is already on planet.

Hmmm...I still think the ride happens, chronologically, first (which is why it is the very first thing you encounter when entering the land..main entrance). Then as you wander the land after the ride you encounter troopers, First Order dudes and Kylo who now know the Resistance is on Batuu thanks to the ride encounter. Otherewise, the ride wouldn't make sense. There would be no surprise Star Destroyer or tie-fighter attack. One would expect them if Kylo Ren himself is already on planet.
The story says that the resistance arrived about a month ago and the first order found out about it and sent a small group to find the rebels. Kylo Ren impatiently waiting for results arrived 2 weeks after to try and find the rebels group led by Vi Moradi
The story for RotR is that the small group of first order and Kylo Ren alerted the fleet which is why
1 were being evacuated
And
2 the star destroyer shows up

I was coaxed to go on Star Tours later in the evening after I did Rise. It is, uh, a lot more intense. I'm glad I did Rise first, didn't quite care for it.

Don't worry! Opinions are just that. What a boring world we would live in if everybody liked the same things, eh? Your view of RotR and Galaxy's Edge is my view of Pandora and FoP. I may be the only one who despises FoP and is wholly underwhelmed by Pandora...but there has to be someone who hates puppies, right? LOL!

I think FoP and the river ride are very boring. I enjoyed watching how FoP works more than the ride itself. And don’t get me started on the most boring preshow in the world! The waterfall is pretty but I’m not impressed by fake plants and painted rocks. The only part of Pandora I like is the excellent food. I preferred the quaint Camp Mickey Minnie. So nope, you’re not alone. :)

I was entirely blown away by every facet of the ride. The a1000s and the trackless tech were great, but the visuals of the AT ATs, stormtroopers, coupled with the CM (when I snapped a quick pic of the troops, a FO officer asked me, without hesitation, “does the might of the first order call out to you?!” and I skittered away stammering, “Maybe!”) makes this the top attraction anywhere.

I’m a roller coaster guy, and I’ve ridden the new stuff at Cedar Point, Carowinds, etc. FoP was the first ride that opened my mind to the possibility of thrills coming without a track. And it is, certainly, more thrilling than ROTR, but not half as immersive. And if I have to listen to dude say, “um...” one more time in that preshow... But a coaster, even a killer hybrid or a hyper coaster of ridiculous height is still a coaster. This ride is innovative, and gives us a glimpse of thrills that are accessible to far more folks (my mom couldn’t wait to go back on FoP or ROTR, but no way she rides Steel Curtain when we’re in PA this summer.)

Rode Hagrids the next day. For me, not in the same league, but very good for the JV 😉 Universal employees factor so slightly into any experience that I do dislike comparing rides between parks on that metric.

I agree with a lack of re-ride-ability. The Millennium Falcon ride was not fun for any of us (we were placed with a group of 2 who were both given the pilot position). As Engineers we could not tell what we were even doing and as gunners it was frustrating to see what was happening. The screen glitched at one point. Star tours was more fun.

Rise was ok. The story line does not make sense in spots (the purpose of being on the bridge), exactly how they found us on the ship to break us out and then what happens to them (why not have a droid in the room with us to break us out). Spiderman is more intense in spots so the technology is there - why was the "force pull" not more intense? Some parts done well, but waiting in line to be placed in interrogation makes no sense - why are there railings in there and you merge with 50 other mystery normal looking tourist people? It seems like they tried hard to make it immersive but missed. A good ride but not at the level of the hype. FOP is more fun to ride - most pre-shows kind of ruin re-ride-ability, maybe they should skip them and just let people get to the ride and only give safety instructions.

Finn and a group of resistance people had already infiltrated the Star Destroyer, so that part is explained.

The line backing up past the hallway does ruin the immersion. The first time I made it into the hall before the next transport arrived. The second time, it was about three groups later. How are people getting out of the same transport we were just removed off of?? That’s not possible and it totally ruins the illusion.Yes, we all know the transport isn’t real and everyone comes through it but it’s better when they don’t allow the line to back up that far. Then we can just pretend that the people showing up behind us in the hall were on a different transport that was also captured.

Finn and a group of resistance people had already infiltrated the Star Destroyer, so that part is explained.

The line backing up past the hallway does ruin the immersion. The first time I made it into the hall before the next transport arrived. The second time, it was about three groups later. How are people getting out of the same transport we were just removed off of?? That’s not possible and it totally ruins the illusion.Yes, we all know the transport isn’t real and everyone comes through it but it’s better when they don’t allow the line to back up that far. Then we can just pretend that the people showing up behind us in the hall were on a different transport that was also captured.
I mean it could be that the first order is tracking other evacuation transports and trapping those in tractor beams and bringing them to the star destroyer.

I mean it could be that the first order is tracking other evacuation transports and trapping those in tractor beams and bringing them to the star destroyer.

Yes, but the ship we arrived on never physically leaves the hanger...so how can there suddenly be more people on the very same ship we just emptied? :)

Yes, but the ship we arrived on never physically leaves the hanger...so how can there suddenly be more people on the very same ship we just emptied? :)
they could have moved the transport, maybe both hangar door and transport door open at the same time. When the door closes, the first order promptly move the transport to leave room for more prisoners :D

I agree with a lack of re-ride-ability. The Millennium Falcon ride was not fun for any of us (we were placed with a group of 2 who were both given the pilot position). As Engineers we could not tell what we were even doing and as gunners it was frustrating to see what was happening. The screen glitched at one point. Star tours was more fun.

Star Tours is OK, but I think the interactivity of Smugglers Run is more fun (especially for pilots). Especially if as someone hinted a while ago somewhere, they add missions in the future. Currently Star Tours does have more variety. Would be really interesting if in-ride you could actually steer through different paths in some mission of Smugglers Run. It's got so much more potential as a simulator.

Rise was ok. The story line does not make sense in spots (the purpose of being on the bridge), exactly how they found us on the ship to break us out and then what happens to them (why not have a droid in the room with us to break us out).

There is not a purpose to being on the bridge, your droid is just trying to find a way out after they went up instead of down on the lift, and just accidentally ended up there.

How you were found in your cell is how Star Wars prisoners have been found since time immemorial - Finn and crew saw from the ships computers where you were being held. Pretty sure it was explained on the pre-show that Finn was on a mission to a star destroyer somewhere? Can't remember that for sure. They probably found escape capsules too, guess I'll see for sure Thursday when I watch the movie. :-)

Don't know what you mean about having a droid in the room with you? Why would the First Order put you in a cell with a hacking droid, that was not with you in the ship up... also it's way cooler they way they do break you out than having a droid hack the only door to the cell. Did you see the wall as they cut through?

Spiderman is more intense in spots so the technology is there - why was the "force pull" not more intense?

I think that part is just about right, it could be more intense but then it would bother some riders. You get the point as to what is happening the way it is.

Some parts done well, but waiting in line to be placed in interrogation makes no sense - why are there railings in there and you merge with 50 other mystery normal looking tourist people?

Other transports were captured as well.

It seems like they tried hard to make it immersive but missed.

Totally disagree 1 billion precent, for me the First Order part makes the whole ride better than any other, anywhere. Stepping out of the transport into a giant hanger (that you saw from the ship's view as you were being pulled in) and having actual First Order officers directing you is major immersion, to a far greater degree than anything else I have ridden.

A good ride but not at the level of the hype. FOP is more fun to ride - most pre-shows kind of ruin re-ride-ability, maybe they should skip them and just let people get to the ride and only give safety instructions.

Also totally disagree. For one thing FOP makes me sick after about 30 seconds (I rode it twice in one day, the second run was rough). Also since FOP is just a giant screen where you cannot even see the head or wings of what you are riding on if you look around, just feel it under you.

I could get the same experience firing up a VR headset at home and sitting a golden retriever while my wife hits me with a mister now and again (P.S. do not actually try this at home). For FOP, you have exactly the same pre-show and screen content every time, there's nothing new to look at each ride.

Just liked I stopped visiting Soaring for a while as it was always the same, don't know why I'd go back to FOP much if ever. And if plot holes bother you don't think about how the avatar you are in got there to begin with or what happens when the ride ends.

But really I can't even see comparing the rides really as they are so different in concept but I just can't see finding FOP more enjoyable since it's much less immersive.

The ROTR pre-show and in-show bits are awesome because the cast members make it different every time. Will never tire of seeing First Order troopers messing with captured guests, and each rush over to the initial flight vehicle off planet is unique. I've been on ROTR six and a half times, each time I saw something new and interesting... the ride has a ton of re-rideability to the extent that I'm very sad for people who only have limited abilities to ride it each trip out. Even just the first vehicle (transport off planet) you ride in has so much to look at front and back a single ride is not nearly enough.

The mix of screen and practical effects and little details is just so much more amazing to me than any screen ride...

So for my 2nd ride through I got to ride front row of the car that the AT-AT shoots at. I def liked that one more! Rows don't matter as much, it is a little better to be in the front, but not a huge deal.

Also, I noticed a huge difference in CM's that are part of the preshows. They weren't as into it this time around then opening weekend. Was kind of disappointing. After the first preshow, you felt a sense of urgency to get onto the transporter as they are telling you to go. My first time through they had us shouting "light the spark" (or whatever the saying is, I forget lol). My 2nd time, it was like they were just your typical ride CM's just directing where to go. The first order CM's were still pretty spot on, and intimidating at least.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter