• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

RIV 50 Points Direct or 75 Resale

Yeah we save money on park tickets. Maybe 4 days on 8 day trip. I know there is options and some good ones in that list but that's a wide net of walking to connect all those. My problem specifically is with boardwalk area... The 3 resorts there (I guess I swan is okay but not Disney in my eyes). The quick service is simply piss poor in quality. The sit down is overcrowded and places like beaches and cream are hard to get and not great. Rivera, flying fish, a few over at swan and Epcot together as bonuses make it great. Beach and yacht side is just blah for me.

My problem is I have a 2 year old and family who just want to get food and go on. Sometimes convincing a group to do a mile walk to back of swan for a meal isn't ideal.... Guess we will get warm meatloaf at the beach club gift shop lol. It's a me thing for sure. I love the area around there but not always been great for us. This new bake shop will be an excellent addition and even more reason I would like to spend more time in that area.

In the spirit of learning... What would be your go to 3 places to get a quick meal without too muss fuss?

I have to say I agree with you that the options for food around the MK and the ease outweighs options in the BW area.

Everything there requires you to go outside and if it’s raining, it’s less than ideal, especially with little ones. When at BLT, you can hop the monorail to quickly get to the others when needed.

I also find that the QS options of the MK resorts much better than the ones at BW and BC..to be fair, though, never went to the Swan/Dolphin.

We do love RIV and stay all the time and do think there QS is top of all the resorts. And, CBR Pop and AOA are close by as options if weather cooperates.

I have to say I agree with you that the options for food around the MK and the ease outweighs options in the BW area.

Everything there requires you to go outside and if it’s raining, it’s less than ideal, especially with little ones. When at BLT, you can hop the monorail to quickly get to the others when needed.

I also find that the QS options of the MK resorts much better than the ones at BW and BC..to be fair, though, never went to the Swan/Dolphin.

We do love RIV and stay all the time and do think there QS is top of all the resorts. And, CBR Pop and AOA are close by as options if weather cooperates.
Yeah that I guess is my point. The quality at them is a little better I thought and much less hassle to access but some may argue monorails are a pain. I don't think so. For my family, dinning service is not the norm avenue of food since it's expensive and slow so I weigh quicker options that have good variety higher. Either way this is the reason I split stay everytime so we are able to try more and have a change of scenery.

Different answer

Based on assumed age ( having a 2 y/o) Sell your 160 BLT and buy 200+ VGF (or poly 2 if you wait a year) direct. No restrictions, blue card, similar MF, best pricing now, and no issue getting RR, SSR, or Poly at 7 months. They are also easier to rent than RR if you wanted to stop going for a few years ( if kids get into sports/band it gets hard to plan WDW)

The second you add RR you will regret having a mix of resale and direct. I know I am looking to dump my resale at Poly and buy direct when poly 2 opens.

There is no reason to walk to the Dolphin when you have a boat and they have the best kids' counter service for the money at the fountain.
I like your take for sure and mix of opinion. For us we bought BLT at 143 a point and have 160. Selling to turn around and pay $240+ for Poly Tower is a big swing in cost to stomach for the same amount of points to be honest. We are staying at Grand at the end of the month and may have a new opinion but for now my wife prefers it the least on the loop and I dont have a strong opinion. Walking into MK was my only big factor and now that path is open it is pretty nice.

That said, I do believe the 7 month window will become very poor at new resorts if the restrictions remain. People will become locked into to resorts they buy at as years pass. Meaning resale may suffer some as maybe DVC (unwisely) intends. That alone is my biggest fear and my priority was to find a "epcot/HS" resort area resort. I just refuse to buy those short life resorts. Buying Direct at GF allows me to access all of them and the future versions at 7 months as you say and keep a home close to MK. It is a fair option but 7 months may become much less useful in 10 years or even less. That is a while from now and my kids life may be very different.

My thought of being a mix owner was I could work towards more direct points slowly and more affordably. We are not big on debt and 160 points already buys us many studio nights so I am not sure I would move that contract unless I simply had to in an attempt to go Direct with more points. Poly tower will be a huge tell for the future of DVC if it splits off and has similar restrictions.

I would not buy RR resale at current prices. The resale restrictions are very limiting and that is not reflected yet in the price.
I would go direct or resale somewhere else.
I still feel they are really deserving of $120ish. When it finally sells out, I wonder what ROFR will be like. How low will DVC let that price bottom out. People let emotions trump logic and I am somewhat victim of it. Life happens and value should be considered. For me I can stomach a micro contract there as I am not likely to sell it or waste points but the truth is I bet resale will be $100 cheaper than direct when the dust settles.

You may have another issue to consider in buying low point contracts at Riviera (and that includes direct purchase points).

Riviera tower and standard view studios have an 11-month availability issue, in that they sometimes fill almost instantly at 11-months out at 8 a.m. eastern, with the result that you may not get one of them for a desired trip even if attempting to reserve exactly 11-months out. That problem occurs at times during the high demand "fall" season that runs from late Sep to marathon weekend in Jan, although once in a while it also happens at other random times of the year.

Thus, if you are buying points at Riviera with the desire to usually book a tower or standard studio for your trips, you may face disappointment.
Yeah I book within 24-48 hours of 11 month window everytime. I would count on a standard studio for 3 nights.... if it is preferred than I would hope for 2 nights with a potential 55 point contract. We travel late Jan/early Feb. We would also expect times to change as we get older with our kids. Sept/Oct may become more popular or edge of summer season. Either way, I only want those lower studio rooms and know that 11 months would be essential. That is why Direct felt better because if I got screwed, I could at least book those points elsewhere at 7 months so they dont get wasted. Of course nobody knows how bad the booking window will be once larger portions of resale contract exist. I would buy resale to save money and just count on it for studio stays but what happens when it cannot be booked??? not sure DVC has a great answer for this future problem.

Might be a different answer but it is one I can certainly agree with especially with the OP stating they have had luck at the 7 month window.

I love BLT for the location and the 1+ Bedrooms not the studios.

If you are planning on another little one you would only be 4 at that point and can technically stay in a BLT studio it makes it a little cramped where VGF gives you a lot more room and then would get 11 month window to try and grab a deluxe studio that has the split bathroom.

I also enjoy RIV but as @drusba points out standard studios are hard to snag and the 75 points will not go far.

If you are set in stone on buying RIV (and keeping your current BLT contract) I would buy the 50 direct and then you would be able to combine it at the 7 month window giving your 210 points to book within the O14 resorts if you did not wish to stay at RIV for a trip. This would give you 10 more points but I believe @Nursemanit has the better plan as there are incentives for the larger contract, you would get the blue card and if needed it should be easier to sell VGF in the future.
It is all a very logical take. I just do not know if we actually care about VGF. It ALWAYS has a room available for us at 11 months, the chart isn't that much better, and it is our least favorite on the loop but not by much (we always pool hop here and hangout). Studios and space are never a issue as both our families grew up squeezing capacity. Wife views the room as bedtime only and I probably enjoy a nicer a room then here. BLT is not a sexy thing in any sense but it was practical for buy in price and due cost mostly.

I would need to hash out some numbers but originally we thought the price of direct was still a big swing and we needed to dump our contract of course in order to afford it. The idea of having one larger direct contract is good in many ways but I lose my 11 month window at two resorts in two different WDW areas that we have interest in. That is the only shortcoming I see and I would never buy that many points at RIV. Maybe buy 150 direct at Grand and 50 at RIV direct after....

I still feel they are really deserving of $120ish. When it finally sells out, I wonder what ROFR will be like. How low will DVC let that price bottom out. People let emotions trump logic and I am somewhat victim of it. Life happens and value should be considered. For me I can stomach a micro contract there as I am not likely to sell it or waste points but the truth is I bet resale will be $100 cheaper than direct when the dust settles.
With all the new restrictions in place I feel DVC will only exercise ROFR on RIV (and other newly built resorts) when it is sold out when they have people who want to buy direct. The new restrictions are going to create a pretty big spread between direct and resale and will increase the profit for DVC when they do ROFR for people who have FOMO by not buying direct.

With all the new restrictions in place I feel DVC will only exercise ROFR on RIV (and other newly built resorts) when it is sold out when they have people who want to buy direct. The new restrictions are going to create a pretty big spread between direct and resale and will increase the profit for DVC when they do ROFR for people who have FOMO by not buying direct.
See I know better (why these restrictions suck) but still tempted to buy direct. It's just simple for me to bank these and find my use year. 55 direct points instantly sounds better than 75 resale. Granted if DVC lets resale fall too far I would simply just buy two resale contracts for the price of one direct. They can't let the back end of their product fall out because in many ways the initial price is supported by years of value created and understood. Of course there are idiots but not sure how many idiots there are dropping $50kplus with no thought. I really was tempted to buy resale here and accept it but currently I do not own any direct points and don't want those points stuck if things get crappy there in future years. Plus dumping 55~ points is much easier if I really had to. Most likely it would just become sleep around points. Still think these points are better than the GF for me since I already own on the loop and only want to target studios so feel stuck. I do think restrictions have to change in the future but who knows.

If you’re going to keep the contract for a long time, I’d go direct. The difference in price isn’t that significant if you keep the contract for a long time (30+ years).

If you’re going to keep the contract for a long time, I’d go direct. The difference in price isn’t that significant if you keep the contract for a long time (30+ years).
Within 10 mins two responses saying different things but it seems the majority is suggesting buying direct in this case. The third option of not buying at all is present but not sure it actually is very feasible for us.

Within 10 mins two responses saying different things but it seems the majority is suggesting buying direct in this case. The third option of not buying at all is present but not sure it actually is very feasible for us.
Going along with what others have said I'd go with the direct. I have 150 direct with RIV and am considering resale RIV in the future but I wouldn't do so without a direct contract. Basically I'm planning to use resale points in the future first and then use my direct points to fill whatever else I need to complete the reservation. We love RIV and don't mind staying there often and worse comes to worst we end up balling out once every 3 years with RIV points and then stay at other WDW resorts for the other 2. But anyways I think the 50 direct gives you enough to add on a day or two for a split stay while still allowing you to add those points to another reservation at the 7 month mark if you don't want to do the split.

I would stick with the small Saratoga contract because of the RIV restrictions. Even if you buy direct and don't have booking restrictions, if you need to unexpectedly sell in the future you likely will not be able to recoup your cost of RIV direct. At 7 months you could easily book a BWV garden studio most times of year which runs about the same points as RIV standard. If we are talking about a 2 night stay you may even be able to snag BWV standard or boarkwalk view as well as a BCV studio although a bit harder. I enjoy the Boardwalk area as well and would much rather stay at these two resorts than Riviera. Riviera has beautiful rooms and excellent dining options, but it's definitely not the Boardwalk area especially when it comes to transportation options (walking and boats to Epcot and HWS).

I would stick with the small Saratoga contract because of the RIV restrictions. Even if you buy direct and don't have booking restrictions, if you need to unexpectedly sell in the future you likely will not be able to recoup your cost of RIV direct. At 7 months you could easily book a BWV garden studio most times of year which runs about the same points as RIV standard. If we are talking about a 2 night stay you may even be able to snag BWV standard or boarkwalk view as well as a BCV studio although a bit harder. I enjoy the Boardwalk area as well and would much rather stay at these two resorts than Riviera. Riviera has beautiful rooms and excellent dining options, but it's definitely not the Boardwalk area especially when it comes to transportation options (walking and boats to Epcot and HWS).
This is tempting. I think my heart is in love with the boardwalk the area but the RIV resort is the nicer one, rooms are great, and longer contract. I kinda want that 11 month window for that area but I guess the 7 month window is a chance but honestly I haven't had good luck there. I would need to be on my game when booking. Direct Saratoga points still a smart idea over just Saratoga resale? 205 a point... It gets me started in direct, it's easy to get UY, can bank points instantly for next year. I just want to not be screwed getting into those parks area and not sure RIV at 50-55 points is that much of a problem. Like those points aren't points I would feel inclined to dump down the road. But I do think financial first in most things and saving some money is ideal.

IMO direct points from SSR as a small contract is not going to be that valuable for your plans for staying at RIV. You will need to purchase more points to be able to book preferred rooms as the standard ones will be gone at the 7 months.

I was not able to grab a standard studio for thanksgiving at RIV (Not sure when they were gone but we are in the 7-11 month window right now)

As suggested you can purchase SAP for SSR resale to stay at boardwalk but just don't look at the standard point chart look to buy enough or a little more for the pool/garden/boardwalk view as the pool/garden view is much easier to get than standard. If you are able to grab standard that is great and you can bank some points but I wouldn't count on standard even if you are an owner.

Yeah I book within 24-48 hours of 11 month window everytime. I would count on a standard studio for 3 nights.... if it is preferred than I would hope for 2 nights with a potential 55 point contract. We travel late Jan/early Feb. We would also expect times to change as we get older with our kids. Sept/Oct may become more popular or edge of summer season. Either way, I only want those lower studio rooms and know that 11 months would be essential. That is why Direct felt better because if I got screwed, I could at least book those points elsewhere at 7 months so they dont get wasted. Of course nobody knows how bad the booking window will be once larger portions of resale contract exist. I would buy resale to save money and just count on it for studio stays but what happens when it cannot be booked??? not sure DVC has a great answer for this future problem.

If a room is having booking availability at 11 months now, then the mix of direct and resale points won't play a role...not to mention it will take a very long time for any meaningful number of resale points to be in play in the system.

None of us, even when buying direct have a guarantee that we will get the exact room size or view on the dates we want year round.

Plus, its really not a DVD/DVC problem since those of us with resale points...I have both...at 11 months out, should be able to use our points on something. If I choose to wait, knowing that my points are good only there, and I have a specific need, then its on me.

We did add the resale because we want the larger units of 1 and 2 bedrooms and that would help. It just took me though a full week to finally snag a 2 bedroom SV there for next December. I decided to at least start a small walk if I could but as it turns out, the walk will end up being just one day.

If RIV resale gets low enough in the next year, I may end up trying to grab some more....I know I can lowball owners but I really don't need to have more points right now, so I am waiting!!! LOL

IMO direct points from SSR as a small contract is not going to be that valuable for your plans for staying at RIV. You will need to purchase more points to be able to book preferred rooms as the standard ones will be gone at the 7 months.

I was not able to grab a standard studio for thanksgiving at RIV (Not sure when they were gone but we are in the 7-11 month window right now)

As suggested you can purchase SAP for SSR resale to stay at boardwalk but just don't look at the standard point chart look to buy enough or a little more for the pool/garden/boardwalk view as the pool/garden view is much easier to get than standard. If you are able to grab standard that is great and you can bank some points but I wouldn't count on standard even if you are an owner.
Yeah I am pretty set that I am going to buy probably 55 direct points this time around at the price point to maintain our budget. I feel like SS sleep around points are nice but may leave me disappointed often. BW often lets me down with availability. In the end I only am seeking 2 to 3 nights in the Epcot area at a studio. In the future banking the points every other year may offer more options.

If a room is having booking availability at 11 months now, then the mix of direct and resale points won't play a role...not to mention it will take a very long time for any meaningful number of resale points to be in play in the system.

None of us, even when buying direct have a guarantee that we will get the exact room size or view on the dates we want year round.

Plus, its really not a DVD/DVC problem since those of us with resale points...I have both...at 11 months out, should be able to use our points on something. If I choose to wait, knowing that my points are good only there, and I have a specific need, then its on me.

We did add the resale because we want the larger units of 1 and 2 bedrooms and that would help. It just took me though a full week to finally snag a 2 bedroom SV there for next December. I decided to at least start a small walk if I could but as it turns out, the walk will end up being just one day.

If RIV resale gets low enough in the next year, I may end up trying to grab some more....I know I can lowball owners but I really don't need to have more points right now, so I am waiting!!! LOL
Yeah we go in the first 4 windows of point charts. We will maybe be in more expensive brackets in the future but I assume my competition for rooms is little easier than thanksgiving and Christmas. What you did with direct and resale is exactly what I thought to do down the road if we really liked it. The idea that we can always have points but direct could swing or cover other stays was nice. I may never buy direct again but if I do it probably won't be any current resort that is available. Just looked at RIV because of contract length and area. GF doesn't really add much to our portfolio and while we actually like SS... I know that really just offers a small discount in price. Not sure LT value there is actually an advantage. RIV is probably lucky where people like it enough that Resale will always have some value.

In the end I believe 55 points is hardly anything and I am beating a bush but it affords both types of studios year round for at least two nights. Banking some allows me to have most 1 bedrooms for 2 nights. It's a useable contract just not exciting ha. We split stay always. If we decide to stay more days and feel the resort is something we truly like, we could scoop from resale market and double that number. We just hesitate to push our budget much and expose ourselves to an expense RIV with restrictions in resale and expensive point ownership.

The chart there is not great but it's just like GF which to me is overpriced and BLT/poly are similar. We stay in those the most so we are use to it. We are a once a year family or do two trips occasionally. Just feel like we in a fantasy world would be buying direct at BC or Poly 2 because they are our speed but that just doesn't make much sense. Of course I could just buy 75 points resale at RIV as my title suggest but not sure those extra 25 points change the game for my purpose. I love hearing what others think but a few of you all have gave me some curve balls to consider!

Right there with you! My hope is the resort is still being actively sold in 2025-2026. That'll be 7 or so years in, should be the sweet spot of original buyers wanting out and getting some more good deals on RIV points!

Yeah we go in the first 4 windows of point charts.
This will definitely help!! As it stands right now you will even have some cushion with 55 points if you have to book a preferred studio for 2 nights. Unfortunately for us we always go in Season 6 and this year were pushed to Season 7 as DS's spring break is now Easter week and the points charts are crazy expensive at that time, requiring an extra 7-10 points a night in a studio over Season 6.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter