Riverea vs. L14 and 7 month booking

What about the Swan and Dolphin? I highly doubt they would knock down BWV and BC to give way to the Dolphin and Swan (and the new tower they are planning to build) priority location.

It's only my view on the potential future development at Disney doesn't mean it will happen. Disney still has a few years to come up with a plan to re-utilize that area and I expect they will re-build. It would be hard to do a fluff and puff like others think will happen when competing against the newer resorts. In today's world it can be cheaper to start from new and with newer building technologies, faster as well.

Remember they have 20 years to build more resorts for all the displaced BC and BWV people while they wait out the deed endings and for all you know maybe Disney will be saturated with rooms by then.

Last edited:
I'm currently buying an AUL resale contract. What if in a few years, Disney is looking to make some E Z revenue and offers all post Jan 2019 Resale L14 buyers, say $10 per point and we upgrade your resale points to be able to book RIV and Reflections? Hmmmmm, certainly a money making idea right there!

RIV resale buyers $20 per point and you can book the other DVC spots :)

The trend has been eating into the hotel inventory. They have not built any new hotels since AOA. But they have dug into Poly, WL, AKL, CR, and CBR. If anything I could see them taking over more of BC like they did with WL, but who knows. The timeshare business seems to be booming, and they have been introducing a new DVC resort pretty much every 2 years.. Maybe by 2042 they will have converted all the All-stars into DVC LOL. I am kidding... but actually it's not impossible.

I'm currently buying an AUL resale contract. What if in a few years, Disney is looking to make some E Z revenue and offers all post Jan 2019 Resale L14 buyers, say $10 per point and we upgrade your resale points to be able to book RIV and Reflections? Hmmmmm, certainly a money making idea right there!

RIV resale buyers $20 per point and you can book the other DVC spots :)
I think this is exactly what will happen at some point. This is how other timeshare's operate.

It gives Disney a piece of the resale pie with almost no overhead. Basically pure profit.

I think this is exactly what will happen at some point. This is how other timeshare's operate.

It gives Disney a piece of the resale pie with almost no overhead. Basically pure profit.
I agree. I think this is where they are going because the documents explicitly provide for that situation.

They might do it, but it won't be cheap. It certainly won't be cheaper buying resale+qualifying points than buying direct. So if the current gap between resale and direct is $60pp, qualifying points would cost $80, at least.

They might do it, but it won't be cheap. It certainly won't be cheaper buying resale+qualifying points than buying direct. So if the current gap between resale and direct is $60pp, qualifying points would cost $80, at least.
It would have to be cheaper. Otherwise nobody would do it.

I'm not suggesting that it would be cheap, but going back to your example, maybe they charge $40 PP. From Disney's perspective, its an easy $40 PP with almost no cost. Disney basically earns profit by reselling the same points over and over without having to hold onto inventory through ROFR, or paying maintenance fee.

From the purchasers perspective, they still have to go through the added "hassle" of buying through resale, but they get to save some money.

From the sellers perspective, it atleast allows the purchaser to get "full value" out of their points without going direct. It may end up hurting the owner because I would assume if Disney implemented this, they would ROFR much less. This would essentially drive the prices down.

Why buy direct if buying resale and then qualify the points would be cheaper and end with the same exact product? To save a bit of hassle?
It must cost more, or it wouldn't make sense for Disney to do it, they would undercut themselves.

Why buy direct if buying resale and then qualify the points would be cheaper and end with the same exact product? To save a bit of hassle?

1) Save the hassle
2) finance with Disney if one wants to
3) buy the actively marketed resort
4) many people don't feel comfortable with the resale market
5) Use credit card for the purchase (gain points).

It wasn't that long ago that there was no restrictions on resale points, yet Disney still sold plenty of points direct even with the difference being a lot more than $10 - 20 per point

It must cost more, or it wouldn't make sense for Disney to do it, they would undercut themselves.

1) If it costs more to go resale + pay this fee than to just go through Disney, nobody would ever go this method.
2) Yes it undercuts their direct purchases, but it also provides them free revenue with no cost. It also leaves their current inventory in tact so that they can still sell it.

1) If it costs more to go resale + pay this fee than to just go through Disney, nobody would ever go this method.
Which is the point. DVC doesn't want to incentivise the resale market. Having a way to own cheaper direct points would do that.
This would be an option for someone who purchased resale and after a while decide they want to book the newest resorts or that direct benefits finally make sense. Instead of buying a full 100 points contract they can qualify their existing points.

Which is the point. DVC doesn't want to incentivise the resale market. Having a way to own cheaper direct points would do that.

They don't want to incentivise resale because they don't get a share. If your offering them $40 PP of free profit from something they have already sold, I don't think they would have a problem with that.

If Disney didn't want anyone to buy this "add-on", they wouldn't offer it.

It's like if I took my SSR points and put them on the DVC Stores listings at $800 per point. What would be the purpose? Nobody is going to buy it when they can buy direct from Disney for $160 per point. It's just a waste of time.

This would be an option for someone who purchased resale and after a while decide they want to book the newest resorts or that direct benefits finally make sense. Instead of buying a full 100 points contract they can qualify their existing points.
I could actually see Disney offering a limited time cheaper offering in an effort to boost quarterly results in a tough economic climate. Something like resale owners before the date of the offering will have a one time offer to upgrade to a blue card at $25 per point.

I guess we'll have to wait and see :)
I still think it won't be cheap as well as if they'll ever do an extension to one of the 2042 resorts (they won't) it won't be cheap either. I read a lot of whishful thinking here, but the time of DVC being a resaonably priced purchase are over.

I guess we'll have to wait and see :)
I still think it won't be cheap as well as if they'll ever do an extension to one of the 2042 resorts (they won't) it won't be cheap either. I read a lot of whishful thinking here, but the time of DVC being a resaonably priced purchase are over.

They may never even do it. But ya, I don't believe it will be cheap either. I just believe it has to be somewhere between the cost of resale and the direct cost to make any sense. More likely to be closer to the direct pricing though

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter