• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rivers of Light worth it?

skateshome

Mouseketeer
We saw Jungle Book last year and it was okay....but nothing worth waitin 1 1/2 hrs for.

i haven't been but what some like, you may dislike...and vice versa, so I would always say go see/do it at least once. :)

We saw Jungle Book last year and it was okay....but nothing worth waitin 1 1/2 hrs for.

To know what something is worth I would need to know what it costs.

Is it worth your time, yes. How much time, I wouln't wait standby. Is it worth the time and money to make a dining package ADR at Tiffins for lunch, I absolutely think so. Is it worth the time to make a FP+ reservation, yes.

You will get a large range of opinions.

I think everyone should try to see it once for themselves, but I personally would have to have a FP+ or a Dining Package ... unless it's a show we could practically walk on with a shorter standby line. (we saw a second show and the standby ended up being 1/3 empty when it started).

And if you are going after Pandora opens, and you want to do Pandora ... you'll need to make decisions based on your schedule.

RE: Dining Package, if you wanted to eat at Tusker anyway, it's only a few dollars more so a reasonable purchase price for a FP+. If you wanted to try Tiffins and had no other discounts, I would book because you can come out ahead on that one depending on what you order.

Last edited:

I was thinging the same thing. I decided that I won't use a FP or hours of my park time for it since my time is limited. I will try to book the tusker house package and settle for an ok spot 45 minutes before the show since I was going to eat there anyway. If I don't get it (going for BOG first) then it's just not meant to be.

We did the dining package so we did not have to wait on line to get in although we did arrive almost an hour before and the seats were already more than half filled. We were not awed or amazed-I would say we were mildly entertained-it is certainly not the showstopper we were expecting. There is no way I would wait on an hour long line.

To do standby you'd need to be there 90 min or more ahead of show time. Standby is full an hour before.

I wouldn't spend extra money to do the dining package. Maybe if I already planned on eating at one of the restaurants, then sure since it's only like an extra $7 for the dining package.

FP. We did FP before and got in right when they opened it up. So we got there about an hour and a half prior.

After watching the show already, the max I'd probably spend waiting to watch it again is about 15-20 min. I wouldn't go out of my way to do the dining package, so I'd FP it and show up 15 min prior. If we got a seat then cool, if not, oh well

It's much better than jungle book but I wouldn't wait hours for it.

edit: also to note, I fastpassed and needed to wait because show 1 was late and I was seeing show 2. Also it wasn't a hot, humid and miserable weather when I saw it so i can't imagine I'd wait at all when it's summer weather. but i've seen it so it would be a conscious choice to not see it.

so I'd FP it and show up 15 min prior. If we got a seat then cool, if not, oh well
According to the two recently posted announcements on The HUB, (below) Guests with a FP+ arriving 15 minutes or more will be accommodated.

1. Guests with a FastPass+ reservation must arrive within their window (40-15 minutes prior to the start of the show) in order to access their reserved seating. Standby Guests will begin to fill the theater after the 15 min window, which may result in the theater not being able to accommodate a Guest who arrives later than the designated time.

2. Guests with a FastPass+ reservation must arrive 40-15 minutes prior to the start of the show to access their reserved seating.

I saw it last week and I thought it was beautiful. We did the Tiffins dining package and that is very much worth it (and possible to come out ahead $$-wise depending on what you order.)

I really enjoyed Rivers of Light, but I also LOVE Animal Kingdom and the general themes/vibe of that park. Some people aren't that into Animal Kingdom, and I don't think it will resonate as strongly with them.

I will also say that it isn't as over-the-top as many of the other Disney nighttime shows (largely because there cannot be any fireworks). If you manage your expectations and appreciate it for what it is (without comparing to something like Fantasmic, which is not my fave btw), I think you might find it's a beautiful and special show.

Having said all of that, I would recommend the dining package until the standby waits die down (which could be a while because of its new-ness, Pandora, etc.)

I saw it last week and I thought it was beautiful. We did the Tiffins dining package and that is very much worth it (and possible to come out ahead $$-wise depending on what you order.)

I really enjoyed Rivers of Light, but I also LOVE Animal Kingdom and the general themes/vibe of that park. Some people aren't that into Animal Kingdom, and I don't think it will resonate as strongly with them.

I will also say that it isn't as over-the-top as many of the other Disney nighttime shows (largely because there cannot be any fireworks). If you manage your expectations and appreciate it for what it is (without comparing to something like Fantasmic, which is not my fave btw), I think you might find it's a beautiful and special show.

Having said all of that, I would recommend the dining package until the standby waits die down (which could be a while because of its new-ness, Pandora, etc.)

We LOVE Animal Kingdom, could spend days wandering and appreciating the extensive detail in the park. Truly a work of art combined with nature. The show has visually beautiful components, but as a show it did not come together, did not live up to what was promoted nor was it what I would expect from Disney and a Rohde park.

I still believe everyone should see it for themselves but I could never suggest you wait hours in line.

We LOVE Animal Kingdom, could spend days wandering and appreciating the extensive detail in the park. Truly a work of art combined with nature. The show has visually beautiful components, but as a show it did not come together, did not live up to what was promoted nor was it what I would expect from Disney and a Rohde park.

That's totally fair. Tbh, I had set low expectations going in because of all the problems surrounding this show. And while I did really enjoy it (one effect in particular that gave me chills), I wouldn't build my vacation (or even my day) around it. I'm sure Iwill see it again, but only when it fits neatly into my plans.

I agree it's worth seeing once for sure, tho. :)

We booked a dining package with Tiffins ... a place we were wanting to try anyway. We go to WDW at least once a year and always try to add a new experience or two each trip ... we will try it once. It might end up being a "one time only" experience like Fantasmic which was okay but not worthy of another go. We're looking forward to it ... if nothing else it will be fun to see AK after dark!

World of Color (original) in California Adventure is my standard for a great water show. While ROL is nice, it just didn't have the emotional impact for us as something like the World of Color. I'd say go and watch it yourself, but you most likely won't be super amazed.

World of Color (original) in California Adventure is my standard for a great water show. While ROL is nice, it just didn't have the emotional impact for us as something like the World of Color. I'd say go and watch it yourself, but you most likely won't be super amazed.

That was the very reason why I'm not stressing ROL. I watched the video and from what I can see it is pretty short and lacking the level that I have come to expect having seen WOC in its many incarnations. World of Color setts the bar very high. In fact sometimes WOC doesnt live up the WOC :rotfl:. When I saw the special 60th WOC I was very meh-now When they brought back the original I booked a new trip with viewing package ASAP. My son begs to see it every trip.

Can anyone tell me where you line up for FP entry? Is it over by Everest or on the opposite side by Nemo?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter