Riviera murphy bed fell off of the wall

Having a resort where beds are falling off the wall, or even falling open on people because of “user error” in a resort that caters to families with young children seems really really really problematic to me.
Well with the "user error" comment seems you were directly commenting on my post to a degree. I want to avoid any confusion and putting together my comment with user error and the bed that fell off the wall. I think the bed falling off the wall is a problem (caused by the contractor), though probably a rare issue that by accounts (no others fell), and all beds have already been checked. Unfortunately it is impossible to avoid any risk in your life, and stuff like this could happen anywhere (it is a matter of the response and rate at which it happens that is telling).

Unfortunately with the larger Murphy bed opening (they don't fall because there is a clutch/spring mechanism that makes them open slowly) it is simply a user error and there really isn't a way to dismiss that. Disney can be more proactive and when they turn over the rooms leave a warning message on the sofa (which I did allude to in my post as being something they should do). Personally there are way higher risks of serious injury at Disney than these two incidents, IMO, that guests accept.

I doubt that Disney engineers the murphy beds. I assume they buy them as a product from a Hotel Furniture manufacturing company. I doubt they designed them themselves.

Sorry but that is an excuse. We are not saying it fell apart. We are saying it fell off the wall. You don't do the standard installation for a Disney hotel and you don't buy something off the shelf either if you are Disney. You get something specifically built for your resort.

They are making way to much money to not get custom furniture.

Both styles of these Murphy beds have been installed at WDW resorts for years. The couch ones are new, they have table folding ones in other resorts. The couch Murphy bed has been in use at SSR for months now. Haven’t heard of one complaint.

Last edited:
Both styles of these Murphy beds have been installed at WDW resorts for years. The couch ones are new, they have table folding ones in other resorts. The ouch Murphy bed has been in use at SSR for months now. Haven’t heard of one complaint.
I agree and think this is telling given other comments about RR from people staying there. It sounds more like a construction/inspection issue related to RR. While that's bad for RR, overall it's probably a positive for Disney since it's a more localized problem, therefore more easily fixed.

I'm still not happy that the latest projects -- Skyliner and RR -- didn't seem like they were really ready to open when they did. I don't know if it's cost cutting or simply rushing timelines but it gives me pause since there's still a lot of construction going on around WDW. I hope they learn from this.

I agree and think this is telling given other comments about RR from people staying there. It sounds more like a construction/inspection issue related to RR. While that's bad for RR, overall it's probably a positive for Disney since it's a more localized problem, therefore more easily fixed.

I'm still not happy that the latest projects -- Skyliner and RR -- didn't seem like they were really ready to open when they did. I don't know if it's cost cutting or simply rushing timelines but it gives me pause since there's still a lot of construction going on around WDW. I hope they learn from this.
I don’t think the Skyliner was rushed. They tested it on a daily basis for months. Riviera on the other hand I agree with you. We were at WDW in late April and a lot of work was still needed. If you want an Uber luxurious place you cannot rush it. It takes time. Several have stated that the painting job was not good, paint on things it shouldn’t be and now issues with the beds. DVC set the opening date like seven months ago. I think they should have waited till New Years by the sounds of things. Hoping to try it next fall.

Last edited:
Well, I love these boards for all the info and comraderie but haven’t posted much at all myself for whatever reason.

We are at Riviera now and just got told we can’t use the larger Murphy bed for the rest of our stay. Even though I had called repeatedly before our arrival to ensure this wasn’t an issue and also at our arrival. We have a 20 yr old son and 16 yr old daughter that were perfect for the Murphy and trundle bed. Now the mattress from the Murphy bed is on the floor and the living area is simply gone. Moved the table to the hallway near the closet because the mattress didnt fit well otherwise. Have to step on the mattress or sofa to reach the balcony. Have stayed on property probably 16 times in last dozen years and am so disappointed. Not a tragedy but the three real mattresses and ability to have a usable sitting area are why we stayed at this expensive resort. Now I feel like an idiot.

Sorry for the rant...but the offer of an air mattress (which doesn’t accomplish anything different than the mattress on the ground) was of little use. Considering the cost of this resort, I am disappointed in Disney’s management of the trundle/Murphy bed matter. Rant over - we will have a happy holiday regardless with family - wish you all glad tidings.

Btw - Rise of the Resistance is phenomenal.

They must have changed it from the model I saw in the spring. I even looked at a blog with pictures this past week that showed the legs in the model.
The Murphy bed in the models are reused from previous models. That is why the model has legs.

Well, I love these boards for all the info and comraderie but haven’t posted much at all myself for whatever reason.

We are at Riviera now and just got told we can’t use the larger Murphy bed for the rest of our stay. Even though I had called repeatedly before our arrival to ensure this wasn’t an issue and also at our arrival. We have a 20 yr old son and 16 yr old daughter that were perfect for the Murphy and trundle bed. Now the mattress from the Murphy bed is on the floor and the living area is simply gone. Moved the table to the hallway near the closet because the mattress didnt fit well otherwise. Have to step on the mattress or sofa to reach the balcony. Have stayed on property probably 16 times in last dozen years and am so disappointed. Not a tragedy but the three real mattresses and ability to have a usable sitting area are why we stayed at this expensive resort. Now I feel like an idiot.

Sorry for the rant...but the offer of an air mattress (which doesn’t accomplish anything different than the mattress on the ground) was of little use. Considering the cost of this resort, I am disappointed in Disney’s management of the trundle/Murphy bed matter. Rant over - we will have a happy holiday regardless with family - wish you all glad tidings.

Btw - Rise of the Resistance is phenomenal.
Wow. This really stinks and I’m very sorry for you and your family. Certainly not what you deserve. Definitely surprised by Disney’s offered “solution” to the inconvenience. Out of curiosity, did they offer to move you to another resort? Our family of 4 will be checking into a 1bd a week from now (cash stay). If we’re offered an air mattress for our kids, we’ll be asking to be relocated. Unfortunate as we’re really looking forward to staying at Riviera.

Also makes you wonder what they’re doing with people staying in the Tower studios, if the Murphy bed situation applies to all rooms.

Wow. This really stinks and I’m very sorry for you and your family. Certainly not what you deserve. Definitely surprised by Disney’s offered “solution” to the inconvenience. Out of curiosity, did they offer to move you to another resort? Our family of 4 will be checking into a 1bd a week from now (cash stay). If we’re offered an air mattress for our kids, we’ll be asking to be relocated. Unfortunate as we’re really looking forward to staying at Riviera.

Also makes you wonder what they’re doing with people staying in the Tower studios, if the Murphy bed situation applies to all rooms.

Yes - they did offer to move us but we declined moving. Forgot to mention that in our situation and may seem stubborn a bit of us but it was nearly 10 pm on Christmas Eve and chose the hassle of two nights with this ‘solution’ vs packing up and relocating right before Christmas. but we thought of doing it. Great point re the tower studios...

Yes - they did offer to move us but we declined moving. Forgot to mention that in our situation and may seem stubborn a bit of us but it was nearly 10 pm on Christmas Eve and chose the hassle of two nights with this ‘solution’ vs packing up and relocating right before Christmas. but we thought of doing it. Great point re the tower studios...
I think this is an important note. While I understand the hassle of moving, especially at that time on Xmas Eve, they did pretty much all they can do. It's an unfortunate situation, but if the beds aren't safe, they can't let you use them. What else could they possibly do other than offer to move you to a new resort, or move the mattress on to the floor?

But being at Disney on Christmas? That must be fantastic! Merry Christmas

I think this is an important note. While I understand the hassle of moving, especially at that time on Xmas Eve, they did pretty much all they can do. It's an unfortunate situation, but if the beds aren't safe, they can't let you use them. What else could they possibly do other than offer to move you to a new resort, or move the mattress on to the floor?

Well, they should have had the resort ready before they opened it.

I’m not asking for anything. What they should have done is ensured the resort was ready before charging such prices. It wasn’t. It is fair to criticize Disney sometimes. We all love the place and the sense of community from folks like us that go, but I think we give them a pass many times when we wouldn’t for other corporations.

If this was a Hilton Garden Inn charging $149 a night and you were told not to use the bed frames and take away all open floor space by putting the mattress on the ground, would people really be so forgiving? As I said, I haven’t asked Disney for anything, that’s just not us I guess, but I don’t think anyone here thinks Hilton would even charge you anywhere near full price for that night at that point.

Either way, Merry Christmas everybody. We are enjoying our holiday here.

If this was a Hilton Garden Inn charging $149 a night and you were told not to use the bed frames and take away all open floor space by putting the mattress on the ground, would people really be so forgiving? As I said, I haven’t asked Disney for anything, that’s just not us I guess, but I don’t think anyone here thinks Hilton would even charge you anywhere near full price for that night at that point.

That’s terrible that you have to have the mattresses on the floor! Do you have both the large Murphy mattress and the smaller trundle mattress on the floor? What an inconvenient and uncomfortable situation!
Merry Christmas.

Absolutely. I think I would have stayed in your situation as well. Ours is a bit different as we’re arriving earlier in the day and staying 5 nights. Despite the circumstances, I hope you and your family are enjoying a Merry Christmas at Disney! Hopefully the resort has enough to offer to somewhat mitigate your (justified) disappointment with the room.

Very true. I was at a Hilton and had an issue with the leaky toilet that I had to call about numerous times and they made the issue worse instead of fixing. I didn’t make a fuss about it and just decided not to stay there again until they called me about buying a timeshare and were very aggressive about it. That’s when I decided to complain about the other issues and they gave me my money back for the stay. And to me the way the toilet was leaking wasn’t as bad as this bed situation in my opinion.

This is a big deal especially in a room that costs more than $300 a night! For such an expensive hotel I don’t think it’s unreasonable to be frustrated and expect a partial refund. What they are providing is not $300 a night quality.

This bed issue is certainly a huge issue since a bed is the main point of any hotel room. But I don’t think most new Disney hotels are operationally perfect in the first few months, it generally seems choosing a new hotel to be a choice wanting new vs great, smooth operations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter