Rode Flight of Passage for first time

I'm wondering if I can handle it. Soarin makes me a little woozy, but I can do it. How is FOP for those with mild motion sickness?

Put it this way. I get motion sickness on a stationary exercise bike. It rocks your stomach a little but I got through it fine. No big queasiness. To be honest the new version of soarin was definitely worse.

My wife and daughter got to ride it 3 times during DVC previews and just raved about it. When I finally got to ride it, they were not kidding about how amazing the ride is. I knew it was a step up from the normal simulator ride, but I wasn't expecting that good. They definitely raised tha bar for other simulators.

I'd literally go to AK just for this ride alone. All of us were stunned when it was done - unbelievable experience.

I think we're going to be stuck in standby in November, but we have the plan of either going to RD or getting in line right near park closing. No luck with getting four FP's for it but no worries. We're all still excited! I wish I didn't read anything about the seats though. I'm worried my boyfriend won't fit in them now!

80 min around 1 pm on Saturday, but ended up being around 90 due to theater malfunctions. Then got in line 10 min before park closed and about a 40-50 min wait but line moved continuously due to no FP+. Highly encourage you do do standby at least once because the queue is incredible
The queue is something else that you will note is incredibly familiar if you see it and then watch the movie, looking for similarities. You'll find many things they copied.

I think we're going to be stuck in standby in November, but we have the plan of either going to RD or getting in line right near park closing. No luck with getting four FP's for it but no worries. We're all still excited! I wish I didn't read anything about the seats though. I'm worried my boyfriend won't fit in them now!
Any specific worry?
I've ridden many times with other guests of every imaginable shape and size. It wasn't until my last ride that I've seen someone not fit. And his was mostly shoe/foot related. I mean he was a big linebacker looking guy in general but it looked to me (his bike was next to mine) if he'd had just a slightly smaller foot he'd fit. He did tell the CM helping to not hold things up any longer, that he ridden before, that he didn't mind waiting for his group outside. He was that close.

We did FOP on EMH day but did not get to the park until a little after 8am and still had to wait 90 mins in a massive line. My dad loved the ride though and the next morning he went back to DAK the following morning to ride it again. But unlike the EMH day, he showed up an hour before the park opening so his wait was a little shorter and didn't involved having to do a switch back all the way to the entrance of Africa.

Any specific worry?
I've ridden many times with other guests of every imaginable shape and size. It wasn't until my last ride that I've seen someone not fit. And his was mostly shoe/foot related. I mean he was a big linebacker looking guy in general but it looked to me (his bike was next to mine) if he'd had just a slightly smaller foot he'd fit. He did tell the CM helping to not hold things up any longer, that he ridden before, that he didn't mind waiting for his group outside. He was that close.

Basically this! I'd say that's probably his build even. His chest/back is massive because of working out but I'm worried that his calves or feet will be too big. I read on reddit that people have recommend changing into flip flops for it, but I don't know. I guess we'll see in a month!

I am a bit concerned about that as well. I get sick on anything that spins and now even on some coasters :( My last trip to WDW I took Dramamine every morning and was fine, other than EE once it started moving backwards. Our FP for FOP is around 1:45 pm so thinking if I end up not feeling well I will at least have done everything else in the park that day already. Also, I know the actual movement is pretty negligible from what I have heard, so hoping I can just close my eyes if I don;t feel well.

I get motion sick, and when the ride gets to me, I just close my eyes and it passes very quickly. I have found only two spots during the ride that bother me, so I close them for about 10 seconds and still get to enjoy the rest of the ride, and it is pretty amazing.

I am a bit concerned about that as well. I get sick on anything that spins and now even on some coasters :( My last trip to WDW I took Dramamine every morning and was fine, other than EE once it started moving backwards. Our FP for FOP is around 1:45 pm so thinking if I end up not feeling well I will at least have done everything else in the park that day already. Also, I know the actual movement is pretty negligible from what I have heard, so hoping I can just close my eyes if I don;t feel well.
I recognize this as an amazing attraction but unfortunately i got way too sick to apreciate it.

The ride is super emersive and even though the vehicle has very little movement you really do feel like you are flying. So much so i let out a sort of navi woooo as we were diving.

However i think it is that realism that triggered my nausea and diziness.

It was pretty bad.

However I am super prone to these types of things and suspect anyone with mild to maybe moderate tendencies to motion sickness will be ok.

Also. Closing your eyes helps a ton. My 2nd ride through to give it a 2nd try i just kept my eyes closed the whole way. There is very little motion and i felt much better.

For my families 3rd ride i just happily explored the gift ship and pandora as a while.

That drum show looled lame to me online. But in person and at night. Man it was a great way to wait for the fam.

I'm wondering if I can handle it. Soarin makes me a little woozy, but I can do it. How is FOP for those with mild motion sickness?

I get motion sick on all kinds of things so I take Bonine every day that we are at Disney. I still get woozy at some points of Soarin and Mickey's Philharmagic. With the meds I am OK on things like DUmbo and Big Thunder. I can't tell you about the bigger roller coasters; I don't ride them because I hate them, not because of motion sickeness, but the end of 7DMT made me very motion sick. Based on this, I had my doctor prescribe a scopolamine patch for me, AND he prescribed a back-up med (because scope and meclizine- which is what is in Bonine- are the same family of drug... he wanted me to have a different type of back-up), because I wanted to ride FoP. Well... I rode it, with my eyes closed. I knew within the first 10 seconds that I wasn't going to be able to handle the motion simulator experience here. It was a bummer, as it's a beautiful, immersive experience, but it would have made me SO SICK for the rest of the day. I just rode with my eyes closed, reminding myself that it'd be over soon. There are a couple of points in the ride where things "stop" and DD would whisper, "Mom, open your eyes!" As long as things were stationary, I was OK, but once we started flying again, I had to close my eyes. Bummer... because what I saw was AMAZING!

I forgot to take my anti vert the morning we rode FOP. I suffer from vertigo and motion sickness. There were only a few times I had to look down to the left corner. Being in spot 1 helped with that so I could see the corner of the floor and where it meets the screen. That helped me a lot. I was glad I got to do it but probably will not ride again as I find as I get older certain rides I can't do any more.

I'm not sure I'm ever going to try this ride. I'm good with coasters, but anything motion+screen makes me queasy. I thought I was going to hurl on the old Antarctica motion simulator at SeaWorld, and Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey (Islands of Adventure one) made me queasy with all the lurching you backwards, even without much in the way of screens. Kong: Skull Island worked for me though I still have trouble focusing with 3D.

FoP would be an hour-plus wait for something where it sounds like my best case scenario is feeling queasy for an hour like I did after HP, and my wife wouldn't be able to ride it at all.

I'm not sure I'm ever going to try this ride. I'm good with coasters, but anything motion+screen makes me queasy. I thought I was going to hurl on the old Antarctica motion simulator at SeaWorld, and Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey (Islands of Adventure one) made me queasy with all the lurching you backwards, even without much in the way of screens. Kong: Skull Island worked for me though I still have trouble focusing with 3D.

FoP would be an hour-plus wait for something where it sounds like my best case scenario is feeling queasy for an hour like I did after HP, and my wife wouldn't be able to ride it at all.
I will say it is light years different from Forbidden Journey because of the difference in movement that you do physically.
I suffer from negative zero motion sickness under all past circumstances but even I had a split second twinge of queasiness on one of my rides on FJ. It really flips, twists and rolls you around, along with visual stimulation. It gets you going every which way (but loose, LOL) I'm surprised your inner ear isn't standing on its head when you're done.
I'd put FoP much closer to Kong, if anything. Though you are on a single rider vehicle instead of a multiperson. If you feel up to it, give it a try and close your eyes since the movement of the vehicle you are on is so slight
And as some mention above, the air blowing in your face seems to help a lot of folks. I have to admit, it's too strong for me, I put my hands on it to block out half of it. It makes my eyes water.

My DD15 and I just rode it for the first time on Sept. 15. We got up at 6 AM and were at the park by 6:55 AM for an 8:00 AM EMH opening. There were 14 people there before us, but the space behind us filled quickly! They let us in early and we were off the ride at 8 on the dot, well worth dragging ourselves up at that hour. Can't wait to go back and do it again sometime.

Funny thing about FoP is that for being one of the most popular rides, it's the one you will be able to do in your living room soon.. with VR headset and a motion chair (And a squirt gun). I can see it being a ghost ride within the decade.

And a fan, don't forget the fan. It would help if your spouse got on all fours and breathed deep while you sat on his/her back. You could def have one of your kids squirt you in the face with water while the fan was blowing your hair.

I'm hoping disney uses this technology more and more. Think of the possibilities! We could venture into any disney land of old, the jungle of jungle book, the circus of dumbo, the villages of pinnochio, so many others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter