Room temperature cheesecake ???

I don't like the traditional cheesecake, but I do have a thing for the Japanese-style cheesecake, which is absolutely delicious warm or at room temperature.

Probably wouldn't try a room temperature NY style though.

I don't like the traditional cheesecake, but I do have a thing for the Japanese-style cheesecake, which is absolutely delicious warm or at room temperature.

Probably wouldn't try a room temperature NY style though.
Is that the fluffy, giggly cheesecake? Have you made it yourself?

I've seen videos on FB and TBH the process fascinates me lol.

Now there are some pies and cobblers I like warmed up...not piping hot but warmed up.

Apple pie and some other fruit pies. There's a wildberry pie at Perkins I like warmed up. Peach cobbler warmed up.
My sister loves cheesecake will even eat it slightly warm out the oven but absolutely refuses to eat pie because she hates the thought of hot fruit. So funny lol

I don't know what "style" it is, but I like my moms 1970s/80s classic cheesecake (with sour cream topping) and I like ricotta cheesecake.

I don't care for Cheesecake Factory cheesecake though. And here in Chicago we have Eli's - it's just okay.

I'm sure it sits out a bit before we eat it.

My sister loves cheesecake will even eat it slightly warm out the oven but absolutely refuses to eat pie because she hates the thought of hot fruit. So funny lol
My husband doesn't like fruit pies at all no matter the temperature lol. One of his sister's doesn't like pie period not even pumpkin.

Now luckily we all like cheesecake haha. I confess I don't know their temperature preferences towards cheesecake though. Majority of cakes are a go though aside from German Chocolate Cake which only my mother-in-law and I like because it contains coconut.

Not a fan of heavy cheesecakes that seem to weigh half a pound per slice. I like the lighter airy kind.

Where I grew up cheesecakes were light, baked square in an pyrex dish, and had fruit, if any, on the bottom.

Termini Brothers at the Reading Terminal Market in downtown Phiily and a few other locations. These look like pineapple bottom. They also have cherry and blueberry. They sell round cheesecakes too.

I think that's it. I haven't tried making it, but we have a bunch of Uncle Tetsu stores (I think that's the biggest Japanese franchise) in the Toronto area so I can get them pretty easy.

I make them for holidays. The cheese and eggs yolks get tempered on a double boiler then you beat the egg whites and sugar to stiff peaks and fold the two together very gently. It's a lot like making a souffle'.

I've been making one cheesecake recipe for about 50 years.
So good.......out of fridge for 15 or so minutes or right from the fridge is good for me any my family.

I like Twinkies frozen as well as most other snack cakes. Temperature can drastically change flavor and mouth feel.

The interesting thing about cheesecake is that it isn't really a cake at all. It's a custard.

I feel like custards are always better cold.

I love NY style cheesecake. I have a hard time finding it in CA, though. As a splurge to myself for Valentine's day, I mail ordered some mini cheesecakes from Junior's Cheesecake in Brooklyn, NY. They are lauded as the best cheesecake in America, by several publications and I have never tried it, so decided why not?

When the cheesecakes arrived, they were accompanied by a leaflet that talked about the history of the restaurant and the process of making the cheesecakes (the batter is all mixed by hand...WOW!).

Then came this: "Our cheesecakes are best served at room temperature."

HOLD UP.

WHAT?????????

No. Just no. Cheesecake needs to be COLD. As cold as possible. Even somewhat room temperature cheesecake makes me want to gag.

I am in my 40s. I have been eating cheesecake my whole adult life. I have never, EVER been served a "room temperature" slice of cheesecake, and would probably riot if I was.

So, how is it that the "best" cheesecake in the country is recommending that you serve their cakes at room temperature? Do people actually do this?

Please discuss.

P.S. The cheesecake is, indeed, the best I've ever tried. Definitely not just hype. It is the perfect combination of dense but creamy and the perfect balance of sweet and tart.

The flavors of any cheesecake (and many other desserts) are more pronounced to me when room temp. I do not like cold dessert unless it is ice cream. I live in NY so it is not surprising to me that they say best at room temp. Many people serve cheesecake at room temp and not COLD.

And of course apple pie on the other hand is best served warm with a scoop of vanilla or cinnamon ice cream on top!

MJ

Last edited:
The interesting thing about cheesecake is that it isn't really a cake at all. It's a custard.

I feel like custards are always better cold.
I don't think custards are always better cold. There are a variety of custard items that I don't like cold. Not all custards are the same either.

Temp can mess with flavors. For you you may be so used to the flavor of cold cold cold that it tastes off to not have it that way. It's just the opposite for me in so far that the flavors are off, like I said bland when the dessert is too cold.

I would also imagine for some, as it seems to have been mentioned, texture may come into play too.

Yes, Cheese cake has to be room temperature.

I don't think custards are always better cold. There are a variety of custard items that I don't like cold. Not all custards are the same either.

Temp can mess with flavors. For you you may be so used to the flavor of cold cold cold that it tastes off to not have it that way. It's just the opposite for me in so far that the flavors are off, like I said bland when the dessert is too cold.

I would also imagine for some, as it seems to have been mentioned, texture may come into play too.

I understand that people taste things differently at different temperatures.

For me its mostly a texture thing with cheesecake, in particular. I like it firm and dense. I take a bite and don't just swallow it whole...I chew it and let it kind of melt in my mouth. I feel like I get the best of both worlds because it's cold initially, and then warms up as I chew it. I cannot stand mushy or overly soft/whipped style cheesecake. It makes my tongue numb. It's weird.

I have never had an issue tasting the nuanced flavors in any foods, whether they are hot, cold, or in between. I guess I have good taste buds. LOL.

I like one flavor of cake warm...dark chocolate cake/molten lava cake/flourless chocolate cake. Chocolate, to me, is a flavor that is best tasted warm. Cold chocolate is tasteless.

I have never had an issue tasting the nuanced flavors in any foods, whether they are hot, cold, or in between. I guess I have good taste buds. LOL.
Hey now you trying to say I have bad taste buds :laughing:

For me its mostly a texture thing with cheesecake, in particular. I like it firm and dense. I take a bite and don't just swallow it whole...I chew it and let it kind of melt in my mouth. I feel like I get the best of both worlds because it's cold initially, and then warms up as I chew it. I cannot stand mushy or overly soft/whipped style cheesecake. It makes my tongue numb. It's weird.
Yeah I think that's big case for preference.

I'm not generally a texture person so it doesn't hit my radar to have an issue with how the consistency of cheesecake changes the longer it sits out but I totally can see that being the case for people.

I don't swallow whole either but I don't wouldn't want the really cold item to sit long I guess.

I think I could categorize myself as more of a temperature-sensitive person but I do think the flavor gets affected in respects to the foods we're talking about--I'll just call myself weird because it does :crazy: I dislike ice in my drinks especially when pop for instance is coming out of the machine--it's already cold to me and it waters the drink down further. The in-laws love to put ice in milk and that to me is bizarre but I know there's got to be other people that do that. I mean I like my milk cold but it doesn't any ice IMO lol. I don't mind room temp pop though there are times I want it to be colder just not ice cold--I'm not the biggest fan of pop in the fridge. I find that 2 liter pop the flavor changes in the fridge too. Ok..I could just be weird :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter