Room temperature cheesecake ???

Hey now you trying to say I have bad taste buds :laughing:

Yeah I think that's big case for preference.

I'm not generally a texture person so it doesn't hit my radar to have an issue with how the consistency of cheesecake changes the longer it sits out but I totally can see that being the case for people.

I don't swallow whole either but I don't wouldn't want the really cold item to sit long I guess.

I think I could categorize myself as more of a temperature-sensitive person but I do think the flavor gets affected in respects to the foods we're talking about--I'll just call myself weird because it does :crazy: I dislike ice in my drinks especially when pop for instance is coming out of the machine--it's already cold to me and it waters the drink down further. The in-laws love to put ice in milk and that to me is bizarre but I know there's got to be other people that do that. I mean I like my milk cold but it doesn't any ice IMO lol. I don't mind room temp pop though there are times I want it to be colder just not ice cold--I'm not the biggest fan of pop in the fridge. I find that 2 liter pop the flavor changes in the fridge too. Ok..I could just be weird :rotfl2:

I put ice in milk sometimes too! I put an ice cube in my cereal as well. Keeps the milk cold until the end. Milk that is less than about 34 degrees grosses me right the heck out. As a kid, I couldn't stand the taste of milk. I would only have it in cereal or with cookies or cake or brownies. I could not drink straight plain milk. It was so bad that in preschool and kindergarten (when they delivered milk and Graham crackers to the classrooms), I would get orange juice instead. I literally threw up if I drank plain milk and I have a memory of doing that after having what I would say was room temperature milk. It tasted SO strong to me, I gagged and threw up.

I'm better now. I can drink plain milk as long as it is straight out of the fridge. On occasion, I will pour a glass, take a sip, and find it not cold enough, so I add some ice.

I also like LOTS of ice in my soda. I find it too carbonated right out if a can and like how the ice flattens it somewhat.

Room temp cheesecake is mushy and gross.

IMO, a TRUE NY Style CAN NOT BE MUSHY!!!! even at room temperature. Just can't happen. Nope. No way. The molecular composition of TRUE NY Style is such that those molecules are so tightly packed (r.e. - HEAVY) that they act as if the cake was at Absolute Zero Temperature and yet it still retains that magnificent smoothness and YUMMYNESS. :worship:

Absolute Zero - - Absolute zero is the lowest possible temperature where nothing could be colder and no heat energy remains in a substance. Absolute zero is the point at which the fundamental particles of nature have minimal vibrational motion, retaining only quantum mechanical, zero-point energy-induced particle motion.

I put ice in milk sometimes too! I put an ice cube in my cereal as well. Keeps the milk cold until the end. Milk that is less than about 34 degrees grosses me right the heck out. As a kid, I couldn't stand the taste of milk. I would only have it in cereal or with cookies or cake or brownies. I could not drink straight plain milk. It was so bad that in preschool and kindergarten (when they delivered milk and Graham crackers to the classrooms), I would get orange juice instead. I literally threw up if I drank plain milk and I have a memory of doing that after having what I would say was room temperature milk. It tasted SO strong to me, I gagged and threw up.

I'm better now. I can drink plain milk as long as it is straight out of the fridge. On occasion, I will pour a glass, take a sip, and find it not cold enough, so I add some ice.

I also like LOTS of ice in my soda. I find it too carbonated right out if a can and like how the ice flattens it somewhat.
Well that just sounds like an awful experience to have had!

I'll have to let the in-laws know that I know someone else who puts ice in their milk they'll get a kick out of that :)

Now I will say I find the idea (as I haven't ever done it) of drinking milk..umm..straight from the cow does gross me out--the temperature being only one of the reasons.

Well that just sounds like an awful experience to have had!

I'll have to let the in-laws know that I know someone else who puts ice in their milk they'll get a kick out of that :)

Now I will say I find the idea (as I haven't ever done it) of drinking milk..umm..straight from the cow does gross me out--the temperature being only one of the reasons.

No joke, I couldn't nurse my first born (his issue, not mine), and I pumped and just holding the milk bottle and feeling the warmth from it made me shudder...and it was MY milk. LOL.

Has to be at room temp... you only serve cold items for things you're trying not to taste, like the disgusting domestic beers available in the U.S.

It's best at room temp (flavor wise). Cheesecake isn't ice cream. Have had Junior's many times...AT Junior's in Brooklyn. But you do you!

Yes, according to Junior's it's best at room temp as the flavor then melts in your mouth. (Remember, NYC is in the higher latitude of the U.S. So, room temp is round 70-ish. Do NOT have it at room temp if it's 80 degrees out. :crazy2: ) I prefer it slightly chilled, but not too cold. So somewhere in between. As Jennasis said, You do you! :thumbsup2

Room temp lets more flavor release and provides a creamier texture.
Temp is maybe even more important for chocolate cake.

Solidified fats block and trap flavors but how you prefer it is what matters most! I love a good chocolate frosting hard and ice cold. Sure it has less flavor :( until I let it melt in my mouth :)

I don’t like the taste of milk either. I never really drank it as a kid. In cereal it was okay although I would not drink the remaining milk.
My kids don’t like milk either.

Chilled or room temperature I will eat it anyway I can get it.

Juniors cheesecake is really easy to make and it comes out just as delicious as long as you use Philadelphia brand cream cheese.

This is the original recipe (or as close to it as you can get) from Alan Rosen who appeared on the ABC Morning show years ago when Emeril Lagasse was on it.

I make a graham cracker crust because it’s easier than the original sponge layer and make the 9” with 4 packs of the cream cheese.
This recipe says to bake for 1 and 1/4 hour, but the recipe I have from the show I believe says one hour (depending on your oven it should be barely gold on top and not as dark as it is in the picture).

https://www.thespruceeats.com/juniors-original-new-york-cheesecake-recipe-1135432

Last edited:
I like Twinkies frozen as well as most other snack cakes. Temperature can drastically change flavor and mouth feel.
Aha! Absolute proof that cold temperatures dull the flaver of foods!!!
I put ice in milk sometimes too! I put an ice cube in my cereal as well. Keeps the milk cold until the end.
have you thought about freezing an ice cube tray filled with milk? Once frozen, you can tore the cubes in a freezer bag

Interesting.
ingredients from the first (obituary) link:
Recipe of a Lifetime: Junior's Cheesecake
1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons sifted cornstarch
30 ounces (3 3/4 large packages) cream cheese, softened
1 large egg
1/2 cup heavy (whipping) cream
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract.

ingredients from the second link:
  • For the Sponge Cake Crust
  • Softened unsalted butter (for buttering the pan)
  • 1⁄3 cup sifted cake flour
  • 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
  • Pinch of table salt
  • 2 extra-large eggs (separated)
  • 1⁄3 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 drops pure lemon extract
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
  • 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • For the Batter
  • 4 (8-ounce) packages Philadelphia cream cheese (use only full fat, at room temperature)
  • 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
  • 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 2 extra-large eggs
  • 3⁄4 cup heavy whipping cream
I guess now I wouldn't trust either recipe. Doesn't matter. My mom made the best New York style cheesecake.

P.S. The cheesecake is, indeed, the best I've ever tried. Definitely not just hype. It is the perfect combination of dense but creamy and the perfect balance of sweet and tart.
When I took the girls to NYC, I had such high hopes for pizza, the street NY slice. I was so disappointed. Not that it wasn't good, it was fantastic, but it wasn't any different than any mall pizza I've had (which I love mall pizza.)

My expectation for Junior's Cheesecake was the opposite. I am very particular how I like my cheesecake (people go nuts over Cheesecake Factory and I found it absolutely horrid.) I was blown away by Junior's. Not sure how I can eat other subpar cheesecake now.

Yes to serving (not storing) room temperature and quadruple yes to Junior's cheesecake as opposed to say...Lindy's (yuck; just a pale imitation). Don't go in for the razzledazzle of the fruit topped varieties since they use too much gelatin...
Thank you. I thought maybe my utter lack of appreciation for Lindy's was due to my tourist ignorance. Here we were -- at LINDY's (!!) -- and I was so un-awed. I did like the cheesecake from the Little Pie Company. So much better than Lindy's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter