Rooms now being assigned by computer

That seems to be a solution that should work for everyone.
How so? It requires cost without demonstrable return on investment. It introduces complexity and opens the system up to new modes of disaffection. Sounds to me like there are myriad problems with that proposed solution.

Meanwhile, the current solution works just as well if not better, overall, taking into consideration both Disney's and our priorities and sensitivities. :confused3

How so? It requires cost without demonstrable return on investment. It introduces complexity and opens the system up to new modes of disaffection. Sounds to me like there are myriad problems with that proposed solution.

Meanwhile, the current solution works just as well if not better, overall, taking into consideration both Disney's and our priorities and sensitivities. :confused3

I think a lot of people on here grossly overestimate the number of people making requests. Yes, the percentage of DISers making requests is extremely high. But I bet the overall number of WDW resort guests making requests is probably pretty low.

Many hotels/chains already offer such a service so it is not impossible nor incedibly "complex". The cost incurred would be fairly minor. The benefit/return is in overall increased client satisfaction.

I thought things were fine the way they were with no need for a change. However, this certainly reeks of a cost-cutting/staff reducing move. I think it will result in longer check-in lines and many unhappy or disappointed guests.

I still believe it can be done - like your DH. However, let's assume for the moment that it can not be done at the time of booking. However, there is absolutely no way anyone could convince me that it couldn't be done within 10 days of your arrival. So how about being able to pick from available rooms if/when you do online check-in? That seems to be a solution that should work for everyone.

But then the type of room you want could end up not available 10 days out. What if I want a top floor room, but at 10 days out there are none? Or there are only some for part of the time? Then you end up with the same problem of either not getting what you want, or having to switch rooms.

But then the type of room you want could end up not available 10 days out. What if I want a top floor room, but at 10 days out there are none? Or there are only some for part of the time? Then you end up with the same problem of either not getting what you want, or having to switch rooms.

If it's not available, then it is not available. I'm not suggesting that you should/will always get what you want. Just that it would be good to be able to choose from what's available within your reserved category.

If it's not available, then it is not available. I'm not suggesting that you should/will always get what you want. Just that it would be good to be able to choose from what's available within your reserved category.

But then what if something you find acceptable is not available? What if I need a ground floor room because my mom is along, and she has a hard time with stairs?

And if you still won't always get what you want, how is that an improvement over how Disney handles requests now?

I'm Hilton Honors Gold and, as such, can check in the day before my reservation starts AND select my room. It offers me a list (based on my preferences and available upgrades) and I can choose from them. If none of them meet my preferences, I can either not choose one (and hope a different one opens up - which does happen if I try to check in the day before) or just take the best of what is there. So, yes, I get to choose, but I still may not get what I really want (I can ask again when I actually get there, if I really want a different room). The only time I really bother is when there are limited upgrades available (as a Gold, I always get an upgrade if one is available).

So, it can be done. However, is it only 24 hours out and, as you state, it doesn't actually guarantee I'll get my room preference.

I think a lot of people on here grossly overestimate the number of people making requests. Yes, the percentage of DISers making requests is extremely high. But I bet the overall number of WDW resort guests making requests is probably pretty low.

That is a bet you would almost certainly win. DIS guests and standard (read: majority of) guests are vastly different. Look how many people on the boards look at what should be rare and special treats as expected and, in some cases, vacation ruining if they don't get them.

I've always just accepted whatever room I am given at any hotel, Disney or otherwise. Top floor, bottom floor, east facing, west facing, whatever. I think way more people do that then start making requests. Then, there is the even smaller percentage of people who view a request as a necessity.

I think a lot of people on here grossly overestimate the number of people making requests.
Meaning that there is very little potential upside to investing anything to address this concern.

The cost incurred would be fairly minor. The benefit/return is in overall increased client satisfaction.
That's what a guest would claim, but there's not reason to believe that.

I thought things were fine the way they were with no need for a change. However, this certainly reeks of a cost-cutting/staff reducing move. I think it will result in longer check-in lines and many unhappy or disappointed guests.
That's also what a guest would claim. I really don't see any reason to believe that either.

Tempest in a teapot.

1% to 83%. That's quite a range. It doesn't sound accurate at all.

I believe sndral was saying that it dropped 1% during the quarter, from 82% to 83%.

For reference, average nationwide is around 58%.

Thanks Bicker, w/out looking the numbers up - occupancy dropped slightly, about 1% lower than 4th quarter '09 per Disney's 4th quarter '10 earnings report announced in November.

That is a bet you would almost certainly win. DIS guests and standard (read: majority of) guests are vastly different. Look how many people on the boards look at what should be rare and special treats as expected and, in some cases, vacation ruining if they don't get them.

I've always just accepted whatever room I am given at any hotel, Disney or otherwise. Top floor, bottom floor, east facing, west facing, whatever. I think way more people do that then start making requests. Then, there is the even smaller percentage of people who view a request as a necessity.

Many Disers do not care about requests. And unfortunately many new Disers ask advice on what to request or even better what room number. I think knowledge is not always a good thing.

I check in at 8am, they had a room that was ready for me, I like courtyard but this was on the side way down the hall. I asked if I could get on that was in the middle facing the lake and pool he left and cam back they did have one from me but couldnt be done till 4, I didnt mind I was gonna get back from the park till at least 5, 2:30 they texted me the room was ready, I finally got back to the hotel at 5:30 and loved my room

Thanks Bicker, w/out looking the numbers up - occupancy dropped slightly, about 1% lower than 4th quarter '09 per Disney's 4th quarter '10 earnings report announced in November.

This Christmas week was more crowded then last year, nothing like Christmas in DW

I check in at 8am, they had a room that was ready for me, I like courtyard but this was on the side way down the hall. I asked if I could get on that was in the middle facing the lake and pool he left and cam back they did have one from me but couldnt be done till 4, I didnt mind I was gonna get back from the park till at least 5, 2:30 they texted me the room was ready, I finally got back to the hotel at 5:30 and loved my room

I've had this experience and felt very excited and happy with Disney's "service." I've also had the experience where the CM was adamant that the room assigned was the room I would get - and I was able to accept it with just a little pang of disappointment and get on with the business of vacation.

The only time I've been truly upset with Disney service (with room assignment) is on the rare occasion that the CM is rude or seems uncaring. If a CM says, I'm sorry, but this is the only room available to you - its no problem. For me, its all about how I'm treated.

I'm Hilton Honors Gold and, as such, can check in the day before my reservation starts AND select my room. It offers me a list (based on my preferences and available upgrades) and I can choose from them. If none of them meet my preferences, I can either not choose one (and hope a different one opens up - which does happen if I try to check in the day before) or just take the best of what is there. So, yes, I get to choose, but I still may not get what I really want (I can ask again when I actually get there, if I really want a different room). The only time I really bother is when there are limited upgrades available (as a Gold, I always get an upgrade if one is available).

So, it can be done. However, is it only 24 hours out and, as you state, it doesn't actually guarantee I'll get my room preference.

Exactly! I prefer Marriott when I travel, because it's so much easier and friendlier than Hilton's club, but I try to keep myself at Silver in Hilton, and I do adore the fact that at many Hiltons I can pick from the available rooms 24 hours out. (I also love the personal monitors above the exercise equipment. .and I admit that the Embassy Suites happy hour is a Very Good Thing.)

It wouldn't be that difficult for Disney to do something like this and offer a computerized checkin with displays, just as airlines do. People who would prefer to deal with a person or who had specialized needs still could deal with a real person, but I'd be much happier to use my aircard on the road to Disney and pick my room, finish up all the check in necessities and just pick up my room key from a monitor when I got to the hotel with only a check to be sure I'm me from a human.

And it would save Disney a ton of money to boot!

I don't mean this as a slam at you AT ALL, but that sounds exactly why Disney would go this way. It is just way too hard for Disney to try to accomodate all of the requests they get, and it is impossible to make everyone happy anyway. Much easier to say you get the room type you pay for, and leave it at that.

I don't agree, you pay PREMIUM prices to stay at Disney World properties and they should in fact make an effort to make sure guests are as happy as possible with their rooms. Isn't that the essence of customer service.

And hopefully this will re-enforce the fact that requests are requests and people shouldn't depend on getting them. Be happy if you get your request met, not mad when you don't because they are NOT guaranteed.:)

But I do very much agree with you on this!! But for them to not even try is disappointing.

1) It is about time.
2) It will surely cut down on the amount of picky room requests.
3) And complaints.

4) This has been a thorn to WDW for a very long time.
5) People pay for a room category.
6) As long as the room meets that category (and there lots of new ones), it should be accepted.
7) After all, an individual room should not be a vacation deal breaker.
8) Few other hotels allow such room requests, and now Disney is finally following suit.
. . . it causes a lot of complaints and guest whining
. . . it requires one heck of a lot of extra manpower at ressie time, assignment and check-in time
. . . it creates open room nights trying fit all the requests

EDIT: Of course, CM's at the desk will try to accommodate last minute requests - when possible. I think this is the best change in the ressie system ever made. It will also cut out the faxing of requests to the resorts, since computers can't read. Of course, it might mean the ROOMS assigners now have a different type of job, and maybe some re-assignments (but we will know soon enough).

My big question is though, what is considered picky? And I ask this honestly. DH and I don't have kids so at AKL, for example, we generally ask for a King bed. Also I have alot of foot problems, so I usually request a room close to the lobby to try to reduce the amount of walking long distances around the hotel.

Is that picky? I don't think so, especially considering the problem I have with my feet. I definitely know that the requests are not guaranteed and if they absolutely cannot accommodate me I understand. However, if a hotel has a room available close to the lobby and it will spare my feet some pain, I don't see the harm in trying.:confused3

Originally Posted by Baltazar
"Oh drat, there goes my request for the farthest room on the highest floor with the dust bunny encased socks under the bed ..."
I think that is what they now classify as the "Standard" room.

LOL! I get that one every time and I don't even have to request it!

Well I have twice requested a specific building (not a specific room) and 1st floor since my kids were smaller then. I never got anywhere near the room I requested or even the section I requested. And we were always 2nd floor. Although this vacation is budget I am seriously considering paying for a preferred room if I can get it. That extra 15 to 20 minutes walk each way to get a drink or to go to the pool can be a real drag. And it definitely is a drag when all 3 kids fall asleep on the bus (moving vehicle is like a drug to my children) and we have to drag them a mile to the room.

Many Disers do not care about requests. And unfortunately many new Disers ask advice on what to request or even better what room number. I think knowledge is not always a good thing.

I think part of the "adventure" is letting them decide what room you stay in. Once it was an upgrade from a standard to a suite at the Yacht club and I didn't even ask for it! :love:

I only asked for a requested "area" (not a specific room or building) once. That was at Coronado Springs because I had already stayed in Rancheros and had not ever stayed Casitisa or Cabanas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter