Rooms now being assigned by computer

safetymom

dis veteran
Talked with a CM today. One of the new enhancements is that the rooms are now being assigned by computer. The computer doesn't see any room requests that are noted. The CM at check in will see the notes then and can try for any requests.

It will not make a difference if you fax in your requests because the computer will not see it.

Also if you have more than one room you need to have them do a "travel with" on each reservation so that the computer will assign rooms close to the other. If you don't do this your rooms could be scattered around the resort.

I can see the usefulness of the computer assignments, as the majority of people will just take the room the computer has assigned. I am sure that the front desk will accommodate any special requests assuming they are able to meet them. I could see that the people with groups could create an issue if that isn't setup properly though.

1) It is about time.
2) It will surely cut down on the amount of picky room requests.
3) And complaints.

4) This has been a thorn to WDW for a very long time.
5) People pay for a room category.
6) As long as the room meets that category (and there lots of new ones), it should be accepted.
7) After all, an individual room should not be a vacation deal breaker.
8) Few other hotels allow such room requests, and now Disney is finally following suit.
. . . it causes a lot of complaints and guest whining
. . . it requires one heck of a lot of extra manpower at ressie time, assignment and check-in time
. . . it creates open room nights trying fit all the requests

EDIT: Of course, CM's at the desk will try to accommodate last minute requests - when possible. I think this is the best change in the ressie system ever made. It will also cut out the faxing of requests to the resorts, since computers can't read. Of course, it might mean the ROOMS assigners now have a different type of job, and maybe some re-assignments (but we will know soon enough).

1) It is about time.
2) It will surely cut down on the amount of picky room requests.
3) And complaints.

4) This has been a thorn to WDW for a very long time.
5) People pay for a room category.
6) As long as the room meets that category (and there lots of new ones), it should be accepted.
7) After all, an individual room should not be a vacation deal breaker.
8) Few other hotels allow such room requests, and now Disney is finally following suit.
. . . it causes a lot of complaints and guest whining
. . . it requires one heck of a lot of extra manpower at ressie time, assignment and check-in time
. . . it creates open room nights trying fit all the requests

EDIT: Of course, CM's at the desk will try to accommodate last minute requests - when possible. I think this is the best change in the ressie system ever made. It will also cut out the faxing of requests to the resorts, since computers can't read. Of course, it might mean the ROOMS assigners now have a different type of job, and maybe some re-assignments (but we will know soon enough).

Agreed! but it won't STOP the people from whining:rolleyes1

I'm really glad to see this change happening. I hope DVC is using the same system.

Wondering if new system was on in September. It was the only time in all my trips I placed request and it was like they never saw it, that would explain it. I am not sure if I like this new idea. As I said I only placed request once so I do not care much about it BUT wouldn't it lead to some employment cuts?

i wonder if this will reduce the number of people checking in online...

I checked into a room at All Star Movies on Dec 12th. I did online check-in. When I got to the on-line check in counter, the CM said she didn't know where my room would be located. She was waiting for the computer to check. Then she asked if Fantasia was fine. For the online check-in, I requested 1st floor and near transportation. I got 3rd floor and no where near a parking lot and the furthest away from transportation in that building, closest to the Herbie area. It was very quiet though, and I like quiet!

Room requests will still be looked at for online check-in. Even though it is automated now, there is the ability to override the automation and block a specific room to a specific person and lock it.

I predict there will be more complaints and more dissatisfied guests than ever before! The front desk job will be harder than ever. Another brilliant innovation from a company that just keeps 'em coming.

Great news! Maybe this will cut down the time standing in line to check in!

Probably will do the opposite as people stay at the counter longer trying to get a different room becuase their requests were ignored by the computer.

Best thing to do would be to make it like cruises and give you the ability to pick your room from what's available at the time of booking. If you pick the room yourself, you're the only one to complain to.

I feel bad for the folks at the front desk who are going to have to deal with people upset about the rooms the computer assigned! It seems like this is going to lead to a lot of people looking to see if they can have changes made, and it makes me even more nervious about planning trips where we need two rooms because CRO is 1 for 2 on getting the "travel with" noted on our reservations on past trips.

Just FYI...... I work in MI for a hotel chain and our computer system is set up the same way, We do look at requests and try to accommodate if we can. But we an also change room assignments too. But just a word to the wise if you make reservations and the front desk tells you that your requests will be honored take that statement with a word of caution because sometimes you are talking to a new hire or someone who just doesn't care or is afraid to tell you that a "REQUEST IS A REQUEST NOT A GUARANTEE" . I know it sounds harsh but its the fact of the hotel industry. I try my hardest when checking guests in but every hour of the day changes at hotels.

Best thing to do would be to make it like cruises and give you the ability to pick your room from what's available at the time of booking.

Works on cruises because when the cruise is over you either disembark or they throw you off the ship. A lot of hotels don't throw out overstayers.

I agree about many of the requests we see on the boards, but I've never had a hotel/resort tell me they don't allow requests for connecting rooms. And I don't know of any multi-level resorts in the real world (well, in the US) that don't have elevators. Those are my two concerns with this change - the times we need two rooms, because in our experience CRO isn't great about getting that noted correctly on the reservations, and the times we might be staying at CBR or POR and need 1st floor (or the Mansions section at POR) because of my mom's knee problems.

I agree it was probably out of control with people requesting top floor or corner room or specific buildings or particular views, but I hate that they're throwing out the ability to make any requests and leaving that to be dealt with at check-in.

Works on cruises because when the cruise is over you either disembark or they throw you off the ship. A lot of hotels don't throw out overstayers.

Also, with a cruise, everyone gets on and off on the exact same day. Sure, you may see someone take 2 b2b cruises, but for the most part everyone has the same length of stay. At a hotel, everyone has a different check-in, check-out, length of stay, connecting vs. non-connecting, etc. This would make it nearly impossible to do so far in advance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter