Rooms now being assigned by computer

If the CMs don't see requests until check-in, I wonder if there's any benefit to having them noted on the reservation vs. just mentioning it at check-in?

Hello,

We booked through a Disney Grand Gathering agent. Do you think I will have to phone back sooner to our vacation time and request our rooms to be placed together? I thought from my conversation (before the newer computer system) we would be placed together.

Thank you
Remmy:flower3:

I wonder how they are going to handle requests for handicapped-accessible rooms since that is still a request noted in the file? Even Marriott has a box to check to require handicapped-accessible rooms but as far as I know, Disney does not have this yet.

I hate the sound of this. Some people spend a lot more time at their hotel (and in their room) than others, and as such their room allocation can be a huge factor in their stay. Whether it's requesting a certain building in the Polynesian, a certain floor at Contemporary, or a certain view (such as at Beach Club, where the water view can be either the calm Crescent Lake and Boardwalk or the noisy pool), room requests have greatly improved the enjoyment of our trips. No, we haven't always gotten what we wanted, but this sounds like it'll be much worse.

I wonder how they are going to handle requests for handicapped-accessible rooms since that is still a request noted in the file? Even Marriott has a box to check to require handicapped-accessible rooms but as far as I know, Disney does not have this yet.

Maybe they will keep that the same since the CM puts you on hold and calls Special Services to see if a handicap accessible room is available and if so they lock it into your request.

I am interested as well to see how this will affect he accessible rooms. We have to have a roll in shower room.

I hate the sound of this. Some people spend a lot more time at their hotel (and in their room) than others, and as such their room allocation can be a huge factor in their stay. Whether it's requesting a certain building in the Polynesian, a certain floor at Contemporary, or a certain view (such as at Beach Club, where the water view can be either the calm Crescent Lake and Boardwalk or the noisy pool), room requests have greatly improved the enjoyment of our trips. No, we haven't always gotten what we wanted, but this sounds like it'll be much worse.

I don't mean this as a slam at you AT ALL, but that sounds exactly why Disney would go this way. It is just way too hard for Disney to try to accomodate all of the requests they get, and it is impossible to make everyone happy anyway. Much easier to say you get the room type you pay for, and leave it at that.

And hopefully this will re-enforce the fact that requests are requests and people shouldn't depend on getting them. Be happy if you get your request met, not mad when you don't because they are NOT guaranteed.:)

It all comes down to the application their using and if Disney customized it. Then add the skill set of the developers and project manager. It could easily include fields and codes to consider room request within the room assignment process. It all depends if Disney considered room request a business requirement, beyond legal requirement like ADA.

So basically it's business as usual.

AND I'm totally fine with that. :love:

They SAY they try and accommodate you but people being the way they are, taking the easiest path, it doesn't always work out.

before there were several paths to a room assignment, now there is one.
"Wherever we can fit you"

Once again, I'm fine with that ... but my wife will probably see it as a conspiracy against her happiness.

I feel bad for the folks at the front desk who are going to have to deal with people upset about the rooms the computer assigned!

I predict there will be more complaints and more dissatisfied guests than ever before! The front desk job will be harder than ever.

1) No way.
2) They will just use the same phrase I used to use at check-in.
3) After looking at the computer, "Nope. Sorry, Nothing else available."
4) Voilà!
5) Worked every time. *
6) Problem solved, with taling too much extra time.

* Of course, until now, we only used it when people would ask for a free upgrade. A good way to dismiss what we call mooches. (Defintion Mooch = People looking for something for nothing, like an upgrade to a room they would like but didn't want to pay for at ressie time.)

When exactly are the rooms assigned? Will we less of a chance of getting connected rooms because we're arriving in the evening?

I don't mean this as a slam at you AT ALL, but that sounds exactly why Disney would go this way. It is just way too hard for Disney to try to accomodate all of the requests they get, and it is impossible to make everyone happy anyway. Much easier to say you get the room type you pay for, and leave it at that.

And hopefully this will re-enforce the fact that requests are requests and people shouldn't depend on getting them. Be happy if you get your request met, not mad when you don't because they are NOT guaranteed.:)
Of course it's easier to say that. It's also easier to homogenize all the food everywhere, outsource various service aspects, and sell the same generic merchandise everywhere. But Disney used to do things that were difficult because it satisfied more guests. The people who don't make requests will be unaffected, while the people who do will probably be way more dissatisfied.

Doesn't seem very "Disney". WDW rooms are much more expensive for comparable rooms off-site. Disney has always prided itself on it's service. Just another thing going away.....

Doesn't seem very "Disney". WDW rooms are much more expensive for comparable rooms off-site. Disney has always prided itself on it's service. Just another thing going away.....

I couldn't agree more. Like Disney's merchandise, the WDW experience is becoming cheap and streamlined.

And stay at the Waldorf or Ritz or other truly deluxe hotel.
Oh I have - they're obviously much nicer than Disney's deluxe resorts at this point, and they always do their best to grant requests for a particular location or view.

But why should I have to choose between being close to the castle and having exceptional service? Doesn't Disney still insist that they offer both?

Probably will do the opposite as people stay at the counter longer trying to get a different room becuase their requests were ignored by the computer.

Best thing to do would be to make it like cruises and give you the ability to pick your room from what's available at the time of booking. If you pick the room yourself, you're the only one to complain to.

Love this idea! :thumbsup2

Works on cruises because when the cruise is over you either disembark or they throw you off the ship. A lot of hotels don't throw out overstayers.
It surprises me when I read on here (alot) that folks that want to extend their stay always get to keep the room they are in.

When we did our split at AKL/WL we asked about extending our WL visit. We were told they would be happy to extend us, but we would have to move to a different room, as woods views were already sold out for those nights.

It surprises me when I read on here (alot) that folks that want to extend their stay always get to keep the room they are in.

When we did our split at AKL/WL we asked about extending our WL visit. We were told they would be happy to extend us, but we would have to move to a different room, as woods views were already sold out for those nights.

I was talking about those who don't ask.

I honestly do not understand what a big deal anyway. Requests were always only requests, so now you will place them at check in not booking. Of course I hope CMs will not simply pretend to stare at the computer and just tell you "there is nothing else available" and reasonable requests at least will be given a try. But really, nothing changed anyway.

I honestly do not understand what a big deal anyway. Requests were always only requests, so now you will place them at check in not booking. Of course I hope CMs will not simply pretend to stare at the computer and just tell you "there is nothing else available" and reasonable requests at least will be given a try. But really, nothing changed anyway.

I will still put my requests in either over the phone or or on-line check in. When you show up they will pull your reservation and see that you already have a request in and can check right away without asking....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter