Rose and Crown Review

Priorityonecb

DIS Veteran
Okay, now hopefully you all have read my other reviews and realize I am not picky or very hard to please. This place was horrible. We would have been better off at Mcdonalds...and I detest Mcdonalds!

We are a family of four. Two adults. Two daughters 9 and 15, on the dining plan.

Let me start by saying we were seated outside and it was WINDY!! Alberto was starting to churn up and I'll admit..eating in that wind had us stressed out to begin with. I have a picture of dh trying unsuccesfully to read his menu. It kept ripping out of his hands and standing straight up in the air! We will laugh at that one day!

I ordered the potato and leek soup..which I must give credit for...it was wonderful! Dd9 ordered the fruit and cheese appetizer...she enjoyed the grapes. The cheese was dried around the edges. Dd15 and Dh ordered the shrimp cocktail. Beautiful presentation, but it was teeny cocktail shrimp in a mayonaise base and neither of them ate more than a bite or two. The server never even noticed.

Our server must have been having a really bad day...he was so out of it. We had to ask three times for refills on our iced teas. When he finally gave in, he poured it from a pitcher with no ice. So, we had lukewarm tea for the rest of the meal.

Dd9 ordered the fish and chips. She took one bite and the fish was GRAY. Ick! Dd15 and Dh ordered the steak, yorkshire pudding, potatoes and green beans. They both took one bite of the steak and spit it out. They both said it tasted like liver <gag>. I had the chicken pasty, the chicken tasted as if it had been nuked within an inch of it's life. It was completely inedible. Our server didn't even bat an eye when he took away four untouched plates of food. It was almost comical to watch this guy in action.

Of course, we could find this amusing because we felt as if we weren't really paying for the meal...but let me tell you if we paying $150 plus for this meal we would have been quite upset!

Dh was ready to just get up and walk out, but I talked him into at least trying to get dessert into our stomachs so we weren't leaving starving. Dd9 did enjoy her build your own sundae. Well, she enjoyed building it. At no fault of the resturaunt, it had gotten bitterly chilly and windy and you just can't enjoy icecream when you are that cold. At least her tea was lukewarm to warm her up a bit. :rolleyes:

Dh refused dessert...just on principal. He asked if he could have just a regular hot coffee instead and the server told him NO!!! There was no way dh was paying OOP at that place and it really chapped him to know this guy was getting an 18% tip! Dd15 and I shared the apple crisp...which was very good! I didn't care for my sticky pudding, but it could be that I was just upset at the whole experience by that point.

There was no concern for our enjoyment by the server and the meal was just awful. We'd be willing to give several resturaunts a second chance...but not this one. :sad2:

I have reservations for the Rose and Crown in August - was hoping to see Illuminations during dinner.

I must admit you reminded me of my time in London - not the bad food part; but....

"Our server must have been having a really bad day...he was so out of it. We had to ask three times for refills on our iced teas. When he finally gave in, he poured it from a pitcher with no ice. So, we had lukewarm tea for the rest of the meal"

Never did I ever get enough ice for anything. It got to the point where I would always ask for an American cup of ice. :lmao:
The office I worked at told us that the only time the ice machine ever got used was when the Americans came over.

Wow! I'm surprised. We ate at R&C last Friday. One difference I want to point out is that we were not on a dining plan (only DDE).

Although I did not enjoy the food as much as I had in the past, the CMs were fantastic. Our server was Colleen who was returning to Scotland this month. :guilty: R&C has always (IMHO) had the friendliest, most attentive CMs. I'm sorry that you had a different experience.

I ordered a dinner salad with blue cheese dressing and bangers and mash. The salad was very tasty. But I have to say that I had bangers and mash at Raglan Road and they were much better. My Dh also had dinner salad the chicken pasty. I'm assuming he enjoyed his dinner because he "wolved" it down. I did not order dessert but DH ordered the apple crisp and he loved it.
We both ordered ice tea and our glasses were rarely empty.

My son had the fish and chips and ordered the Guiness cake for dessert.
I had to sneak a taste of the cake and although it is chocolate - it is not chocolatey enough for me. My daughter had the shepherd's pie and passed on dessert. They are very picky eaters but ate their meals without a complaint - so I can assume that they enjoyed it.

We were seated inside and were invited by Colleen to stand outside during Illuminations. It was spectacular. I heard many positive comments from guests sitting outside about the atmosphere and fireworks. In hindsight, I have to admit that I did not hear anyone raving about their meals.

Enjoyed reading your review ~ Shame that you ahd such a bad experience.

That's okay. We had enough wonderful meals and lots of Disney magic on this trip. This was our last meal on the dining plan before our road trip, maybe we were just spoiled with such superior service before this! I just wanted to put out an honest review of our thoughts.

Sorry you had such a bad experience. We have dined at Rose and Crown twice and both times our servers were awesome!

I have to agree that ice in drinks is not that common in either England or Ireland. However our kids drinks had plenty of ice in them at Rose and Crown. DH and I drank beer (one of his favorite things about Rose and Crown-the halfyard of beer). :teeth:

It became a joke on a family trip in Ireland. Every time my mother asked for ice, the servers would tell her that the drinks were cold and looked baffled as to why on earth she needed ice! In Dublin, my mother who HATES McDonalds marched in and ordered a large Diet Coke with EXTRA ice. She was thrilled!

Mr. Brit informed me that it's typical in the UK for shrimp cocktail to be the tiny little salad shrimp with a mayo base...He was shocked, and rather pleased, the first time I made him shrimp cocktail with my own spicy horseradish cocktail sauce. However, I did enjoy the UK version at R&C for something different....I do agree with the pasty review though..Blech! Can't say as he didn't warn me not to get it.

LOL jezebella, Mr Brit is quite correct. It sounds like a very typical authentic pub style UK shrimp cocktail to me too :teeth:

We steer clear of the R&C - except to have a drink from the bar occasionally ;)

Thanks for the review. Its a shame you had a bad experience. We have eaten dinner in R&C before and really enjoyed it, we will have to see what we think of it on this years trip as we have a ADR.

That's too bad your experience was so bad. :guilty: We have eaten there three different times and everything has been great from service to food. What a way to ruin your day.

Here at home DH and I went to a mexican restaurant once after people had said how great it was. IT was HORRIBLE!!! We were sorely disappointed and didnt go back for YEARS. Then we decided to give it another try and it was GREAT and became one of our favorite places. It hadnt changed hands or anything either. We just hit a bad night.

I notice a lot of the "kids" that work in the world showcase are not at their best. Sometimes I feel like they are mocking us Americans.... and other times I think they hate their job but put up with it to "have fun in american for a few months."

However, some of the world showcase venues seem to be hit or miss!

Also, I would think the waiter would be use to the "americans" wanting their ice cold drinks!

Guess you now know what it's really like to eat in the UK! :rolleyes1

If you've ever been to Europe, you gain weight in Italy and loose it in England! :rotfl2:

I do not like the R&C, but I would say the small shrimp, that is how they are mean to be, the usual over here is for small shrimp (prawns) to be served in that way, so it is authentic, small but a lot more off them.

It i the rest of the fod I have a problem with here, I have never had good food here and will not visit again.

Our last visit to the Rose & Crown was a downer as well. You are correct about the kid's appetizer being dry. It also had a VERY nasty refrigerator smell. No one in our party loved their meal. Our server was friendly, the few times we were able to track her down. We won't hurry back. I did an internship in London for a month and a half so I had a good idea of what to expect, and Rose & Crown wasn't it. :guilty:

brando5111 said:
Guess you now know what it's really like to eat in the UK! :rolleyes1

If you've ever been to Europe, you gain weight in Italy and loose it in England! :rotfl2:

LOL as if :rotfl2:

robind said:
Never did I ever get enough ice for anything. It got to the point where I would always ask for an American cup of ice. :lmao:
The office I worked at told us that the only time the ice machine ever got used was when the Americans came over.

of the time we asked for ice for our drinks in Germany (not the Epcot Germany) and they brought us each ONE ice cube on a little plate! :rotfl:

Rose and Crown was not our favorite either. The food was blah, the server non-existent and practically THREW my daughter's birthday dessert at her!

I am sorry your had a bad experience. I would just like to say that I was there in May and was on the Dining Plan and I loved it. We had great service our waiters name was Barry and he was Great. :thumbsup2 I loved the shrimp cocktail, the toffee pudding and everything else we got. So I would recommend people to give this place a chance at least once!! :goodvibes

Sorry you had a bad experience, we ate there on 6/5 and thought it was the best meal of our trip. My DS also had the steak but we ordered the sauce on the side which was a good thing because the sauce was terrible. Our waiter Aaron was absolutely wonderful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter