runDisney Virtual Shorts - An *Incredible* Year 3

My husband and I have signed up for the full series this year. We ran the full series last year and had a blast doing it. We got so motivated that we ran a local 8 km last October, a 10 km this April and we have signed up for a local half-marathon for the Oct of this year. We'll be using 3 of our longer 1/2 marathon training runs as part of our "Virtual Race Runs". We love the medals this year too! They are the best part. Can't wait to see everyone post their pics and times on social media.

Joining in here for any news/updates. This will be my first RunDisney event, and I signed up for the series. Pluto has always been my favorite, so this is a great starting point. Hoping that these 5K runs keep me motivated and on track! Looking froward to it!

This is my first runDisney event too! I've only volunteered for the ones at Disneyland, never ran any of them.

I use the Nike Running Club app.

MapMyRun.com is good for mapping a run ahead of time...they also have smartphone apps. My husband uses the RunKeeper app, and I have a Garmin watch that I use for my runs. :)

Thank you both! I will look into these. It's harder to use phone apps for me what with living in the hills where reception is spotty. I'll give these a try.

I signed up for this series. I have started C25K many times and never completed it. This year I've actually signed up for an in person 5K in my area in June to motivate me to stick with it, and the Pluto virtual series to help keep me accountable over the summer. Plus, my 2 yr old DS will love the medals!

The email with the link to enter your run & print certificates is new and kind of neat -
"Once you’ve completed your run, be sure to submit your time on the official finisher website and download your own race certificate."

I didn't notice there was a RunDisney board until now - and thrilled this thread is here! I signed up last month for my first virtual 5K. I'm just doing August for this year. Then next year maybe I'll sign up for all three. Eventually planning on running a marathon at one of the parks but I'm in the middle of losing some weight so I thought this was a good start for me :thumbsup2

I signed up for this weeks ago, but didn't think to look for a thread on it.

Not really sure how I feel about the 'virtual' thing, but living in Australia, this is the only realistic way to get my RunDisney fix! Probably for the best this year anyway since I'm not sure whether I'll be able to run these or have to walk them.

I was planning to buy one of the cute jackets to wear during my virtual runs, and was even going to pay the outrageous shipping costs to Australia! Unfortunately though, it looks like Disney have decided that their international participants shouldn't be able to buy the merch as they won't ship internationally. Not sure why, as all the other RunDisney merch was available to ship to Australia. Very frustrating (but probably best for my wallet in the long run)!

I noticed there are a few other Aussies in this thread. Anyone from the Melbourne area?

Found out that I'm having surgery in June, so my virtual runs will be virtual walks, but hey, I'll have some good motivation to get moving again!

When is everyone doing the June run? How do you plan out your exact 3.1 distance beforehand?

I'll be doing mine towards the end of the month since I'm still in recovery mode from injury and illness. Easiest way to plan your route is to just do and out and back - 2.5k out then turn around and go back the way you came! May be a boring way to do it, but you don't need to do any measuring in advance doing it that way. Having said that, I'll probably try to map out a 5k circuit for each run on MapMyRun.

I'll be doing mine towards the end of the month since I'm still in recovery mode from injury and illness. Easiest way to plan your route is to just do and out and back - 2.5k out then turn around and go back the way you came! May be a boring way to do it, but you don't need to do any measuring in advance doing it that way. Having said that, I'll probably try to map out a 5k circuit for each run on MapMyRun.

Sure. Give yourself more time. I'm thinking I may do mine June 10, since it is my weekend off from work. I'm a bit of a dork, I guess-- For the first one, I am going to end my run at a local church that all the little girls think of as Cinderella's castle. It seemed fitting, lol. It may wind up being out and back, but I'd like to make up a good loop for it.

Sure. Give yourself more time. I'm thinking I may do mine June 10, since it is my weekend off from work. I'm a bit of a dork, I guess-- For the first one, I am going to end my run at a local church that all the little girls think of as Cinderella's castle. It seemed fitting, lol. It may wind up being out and back, but I'd like to make up a good loop for it.

That's cute - love it!

When is everyone doing the June run? How do you plan out your exact 3.1 distance beforehand?
Not sure yet, need to set dates for them, but more towards the middle/end of June I think, then same for July, & August so it's a month between each. Ours will just be an out and back that we typical run for convenience & know the distance.

I wish I had a castle like spot to run too, that sounds nice!

Earlier in June, surgery date is 6/21. A 5K runs through my neighborhood in June usually... I regularly walk or run that course, so that's plan A. Plan B is to do it at the local HS Track with a friend who is also doing the shorts - that way our younger kids can run with us or just hang out and play.

My maintenance runs are 2.5 miles now so I am planning on extending the first one of the month to the 5k. I use Nike Run app on my Apple watch and set it to whatever time or distance I need to run. If I'm not feeling it on a maintenance run, I'll just pull the time from split on a Saturday long run which vary between 5 and 7 miles.

Random Question: Do you submit your time then you get your medal? Or, do they do they send the medals all at once? I guess how do they handle all of the shipping of stuff?

Random Question: Do you submit your time then you get your medal? Or, do they do they send the medals all at once? I guess how do they handle all of the shipping of stuff?

I have read that they will send the medals out at the end of each month or, if you're doing the whole series, all together at the end of August (along with any other extras you got for signing up).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter