RV maintenance.

Check tires before each trip. Check pressure, spray valve stems with soapy water to Check for leak if pressure was down compared to other tires. Run hand over tire feeling for lumps or odd shape in tire. With our 2012 Jayco the tires had just turned 5 years and I was in process of checking them and felt that one of them had a bubble on back side and thus I was able to replace it and the other 3 before leaving on a trip.

Piggybacking on the safety topic here....
I'm getting ready to replace tires for the first time. Does everyone normally replace the spare as well? Original tires are 3 years old; so wanted to be safe and replace with some Goodyear Endurance tires. But was wondering about replacing the spare as well. Spare has never used and is covered by a Fort Wilderness spare tire cover.

If spare only 3 years old, I wouldn't. However, past 5 year mark it should be considered. Best thing is take it off and inspect for cracking. Having a cover over it makes big difference as sunlight is huge enemy to rv tires and you are preventing it.

I usually replace my trailer spare tires every other time I replace my main running tires.

I replaced the steer tires 2 years ago. I'm replacing the 6 on the rear now before my June trip. They are 7 years old.
I check the tire pressure before each trip to make sure it's up to spec.
Check fluids before each trip.
Check batteries and make sure everything is up to voltage and everything is charging.
I start the engine once a month. Let it warm up at idle then pick up the RPM. I put the trans in gear and let it warm up.
Run the gen once a month. Put it under load to change RPM.
Cycle the slides. I do keep them out while it sits in the garage so we can get around inside and have access.
I keep it plugged in so I'm always running off of shore power. I keep the ACs turned on all the time, set at about 81 so the interior stays dry and mildew free. City water is attached and and on. Makes it easy to run all of the faucets and flush the toilet. Hopefully It will also let me pick up a leak early. I test floor heat and electric water heater every couple of months. Run the HydroHot to test heat and water heat.
I keep spare bulbs and water filters.
They only thing I don't do that I should is take it out every month or so and drive it around the neighborhood to keep everything lubed up and the tires from flat spotting. It's a pain getting it in and out of the garage but I should do it anyway.
That's the stuff on my list. I'm sure I've forgotten a few things but that's the gist.
PS: I should do this while it's inside and I'm completing the engine run-up, etc. Once the car is hooked up I do a walkaround light check. Coach, headlights- high and low beam. All running lights.
Coach and connected car:
All turn signals including mirrors. Four way flashers and brake lights.
Safety check on towed vehicle braking system (I use Blue Ox Patriot) including remote in coach cab.

Last edited:
If your RV is not kept plugged to power, your battery will drain down. This can lead to premature failure of battery. If mine isn't hooked up I either utilize a solar charger for battery or take it out and put it in my shop and deep cycle charge it monthly to help maintain it.

Roof inspections! Looking for holes, cracking roof sealant.

I keep a heat gun that I use to take off old sealant and I've been fan of Dicor as replacement sealer. I do this about every 4-5 years.

Cleaning and conditioning the roof twice yearly is also my usual practice.

Wax it also, it dosent have to look great just have some uv protection. Paint whats rusty , tounge , wdh bars etc. Check the water in the batteries. Lube up what moves, pullies, stabs, stairs. Change the smoke battery ( if its not a 10 year). Check all the systems for leaks at the beginning of the season. I also loke to vacume out the outside vents for the fridge and hot water heater. I keep mine outside and uncovered, so you want to make sure nothing is in there. Going on that one, i spray 2x a year with ortho home defense max inside and out and keep poison blocks inside for mice.

We bought bug covers for frig, furnace and water heater vents. Well worth the $.
We had a small leak when it rained under the window of the entry door. It is a Philips door according to the manual. Will any seal work?
What kind of oil do you guys put on your slide out drive shaft and roller area?

For lubricant, i use a dry silicon spray. That way it dosen't attract more dirt to gum it up. They also sell a conditioner for slide seals, i did get that. If it makes the seals last a bit longer then its worth the $$$$.

Not sure on the door seal. Maybe some pictures of the area in question?

I use Armor All tire foam on my seals and works great.

For sealing, again, I am huge Dicor fan. They have a self leveling for roof and flexible seal for trim.

Strongly agree with bug screens. I also put on my furnace exhaust and frig cover.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter