Sanibel Accomodation

belinda_r

Earning My Ears
I've booked flights to Florida in October and we're planning to have a few days in Sanibel. Does anybody have any recommendations for accomodation. I don't really want to stay in a large hotel, and, after checking the rental rates, I have come to the conclusion that a villa in Sanibel would prove to be too expensive!

Thanks
Belinda

Hi Belinda,
Take a deep breath & smile_everything on Sanibel is expensive_goes with the territory unfortunately!
Sanibel & Captiva are unique & beautiful and this comes at a price! Tax is higher than on the mainland so everything from accommodation to gas to an icecream will cost you more. If this is a problem you could consider staying on Fort Myers Beach. This will be cheaper & is only just across the Causeway from the Islands. If you have your heart set on staying there you could try the West Wind (it's in the Virgin Brochure). We've stayed there several times & like it a lot. There are very few Hotels & Motels on the Islands, it's mostly Condos & private homes but there are websites that list them, or you could try the Tourist Board (Lee County) or if you are willing to risk waiting til you get there ,there is a Tourist Accommodation Office on the right hand side as you have crossed the Causeway,
Good Luck
Carol:D

Thanks for your help. I eventually found a small inn for $109 dollars per night (including $20 dollars discount for booking so early!) .... and they bring a basket of breakfast to your room. :D

Natalie, Keith & Carol, if you have any recommendations as to places to see, good restaurants, please let me know.

Now to plan the rest of the holiday.

Belinda

Places to see: Be sure to visit the John M. "Ding" Darling Preserve on Captiva Island. You can drive/walk or take a guided tour through this nature preserve.

Shelling expeditions: lots of private boats will take you to outlying islands for shelling excursions. These are usually 1/2-day leaving very early (pre-dawn) and returning around lunch time. Your hotel should have brochures and the local phone directory is chock full of names.

Eco-tours: At the Marina just before the Sanibel toll bridge/causeway, you can book eco-tours of the islands (1/2 day) and 3/4 day snorkeling tours.

Day-long Everglades tours: these are tours in oversized Jeeps; each person has their own seat and binoculars. You visit several places in the Everglades, ride an airboat, see wild life, tour swamp areas.

Restaurants: Our favorites on the islands (Sanibel and Captiva) are: Noopies (at Sundial Resort); Matzaluna's (reservations required, jacket and tie/dress required); Lazy Flamingo (great seafood); Timber's (if the seafood were any fresher, it'd still be swimming!); and finally, Cheeburger-Cheeburger (for the best cheeseburgers anywhere in FL!

Belinda,

You must eat at the Bubble Room on Captiva Island. It is the "in " place to eat in this area although not well known (does that make sense??). It looks like a shack from the outside and is painted with bubbles. It is extremely busy. The watiers/waitresses are high-energy, the decor is really funky. The foods is excellent - huge portions of steaks and seafood ( great food for kids as well). The desserts are completely outrageous. Most people end up taking them home. We love it there and always have to visit (our children insist on it!!!)
Its on 15001 Captiva drive.

There is a great Italian on either Sanibel or Captive which is brilliant for kids (I don't knw if you have any). I can't remember the name, but it is set back from the main road that runs through both Islands and is wooden and looks like a tree house. The food is great and the children get to draw all over the paper table cloths. The staff hang the tablecloths up when you leave.

Lynette

For more info on Sanibel / Captiva, check Kevin's home page
here for trip reports on his visit there last year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter