Second trip to Universal . . . and probably the last.

After reading this thread, I figured I would let you all know about an expierence we had a USF on this past Saturday. I am not partial to Disney, in fact, we went to Disney parks 3 days, and Universals 2 days this past week. The kids really enjoy many things Universal has to offer, and I actually enjoy the feeling the parks give you. Islands is a great park, even with little kids.

Anyway, onto my little rant. While getting a soda near Fear Factor (with my 3 kids under 8 mind you) the lady getting my soda had a little problem. It seemed a bee was bothering her, so she she "Get you A** outta here!". I was shocked that she would say this, then the other lady behind the counter starting laughing at her. I'm not going to say my kids were scared or anything, heck I say worse everyday. I just thought this was unprofessional and not apologizing for it showed a lack of class. I seen other examples of what I thought was poor customer service, namely at the Buger Diggs, waiting 20 minutes for shakes. Lots of not caring attitute. We will still go back, as I do love the parks, just hope they would clean up some of the TM's that obviously don't care.

After reading this thread, I figured I would let you all know about an expierence we had a USF on this past Saturday. I am not partial to Disney, in fact, we went to Disney parks 3 days, and Universals 2 days this past week. The kids really enjoy many things Universal has to offer, and I actually enjoy the feeling the parks give you. Islands is a great park, even with little kids.

Anyway, onto my little rant. While getting a soda near Fear Factor (with my 3 kids under 8 mind you) the lady getting my soda had a little problem. It seemed a bee was bothering her, so she she "Get you A** outta here!". I was shocked that she would say this, then the other lady behind the counter starting laughing at her. I'm not going to say my kids were scared or anything, heck I say worse everyday. I just thought this was unprofessional and not apologizing for it showed a lack of class. I seen other examples of what I thought was poor customer service, namely at the Buger Diggs, waiting 20 minutes for shakes. Lots of not caring attitute. We will still go back, as I do love the parks, just hope they would clean up some of the TM's that obviously don't care.

1/87 Polynesian
2/88 Grand Floridian
8/03 Polynesian
10/04 Polynesian
10/05 Polynesian
2/06 Hotel Royal Plaza DTD
2/07 Hotel Royal Plaza DTD

Oh come on now PolyGuy.:rotfl: Just teasing, just struck me funny. I dont see ANY Universal hotel stays and I havent seen you post on the Universal boards before, do you often? :laughing:

LOL....ok maybe a tad partial to Disney. But believe me, if a CM at Disney acted that way, I would of posted the same. I have only stayed on property at HRH once, back in Oct 04. With little ones, we just kind of liked the Disney Resorts better.

That being said, we all LOVE the Universal parks. They both have great attractions and not enough people give them a chance. Everything at Islands and the Studios were walk-ons yesterday. I was just shocked that a TM would say this, and then not apologizie for the slip. Belive me, it won't stop us from going back.

That is totally unacceptable. If you ever witness behavior like that again, I would suggest you stop by Guest services and let them know. Problems can't be corrected if no one lets them know.

You are completely correct. Do you think I should email them? I know the exact time and location. I don't want to sound like I want anything, becuase I don't. We had an amazing time there, like always. And like I said, it didn't get me all flustered or ruin my day, I just thought of it as unprofessional.

I will look into emailing them.

I just have to chime in on this whole Disney vs. Universal thing! I was raised by a disney FANATIC with a capital F! I live 2 hours north of Orlando and my parents took us to the opening of MK, Epcot, MGM and AK. My dad has passed away but my mom still loves Disney and still goes. Over the years we have stayed at every resort on disney property, ridden every ride and eaten at every resturant. I can tell you I used to love Disney-especially during the 1980s. Then I liked Disney which led to tolerating it- for my moms' sake and finally I can say I do not like Disney at all now. My husband hates it and my son- eight years old and severely autistic does not care for it anymore either. I can say it is because of a number of factors but the attitudes of the workers is far from what it used to be. ( My husband jokes now when I get in a bad mood- "Don't get a disney attitude with me!)

The guest assistance card has become a joke. Every worker has their idea of what it should be used for. We have had numerous instances where they would not honor it for my son. The two most recent instances: AT POC a female CM said there was not an alternate entrance for our son to use. When we told her there was she said she could not take us to it because she was the only one working the ride. When we pointed out TWO other workers for her she said she just did not feel like taking us to it. We spoke to her manager about it but this is not what a vacation should be about. The next instance was at Small world. We asked for alternate entrance and CM- an older gentleman would not let us use it after seeing our GAC.. his exact words- " There is nothing wrong with your son- just use to regular line like the rest of us!" We left the park but not before filing a complaint. That was last Oct.
Last December my husband said lets try a Universal trip this time. Everyone on the boards here were great and extremely helpful! We ended up staying three nights at the RPR. We stayed Club level and I can honestly say it was our best resort stay ever! He loved it there as did my husband. The parks were great also- very beautiful and very clean! The resturants were incredible!! The workers in the parks bent over backwards to hellp my son - one woman on the Cat in the hat ride could tell my son was scared so she took his hand and led him around to the back entrance of the ride. He ended up loving it. Her name was Mousalanda and she was wonderful!
My husband took part in the MAcy's parade and loved it. On Friday night my mom had given us tickets to the Christmas party at the MK. We drove over and it was a madhouse getting in- I can tell you that over the years they have oversold this event and don't care how crowded it gets. They have also cut back severely on the decorations. We get to the front gate with our tickets and proceed to get our armbands. Over the years with our son, because if sensory issues-my husband wears two armbands- one for him and one for our son. The woman at the gate said she could not do this- that my son had to wear it. We told her that we had done this for years and explained about our son and his autism. She would not budge so we did what we usually do- we filed a complaint and left. We decided then and there we would NOT be going back. We drove back to the RPR and had a great night.
WE already have three more trips in the works for UNiversal for this year. Thanks to everyone here again for all the great tips!! I know everyone has there own experiences but with ours we just can not justify any more trips to Disney. Sorry so long and thanks for reading!

Dsmom, your post really touched me. I am so glad that your son was able to enjoy Universal/IoA. The story about Cat in the Hat is wonderful. We hear so much about how Universal doesn't have the "magic." It looks like you found a little magic there. Thanks for sharing.

This is especially for Phamton.

th_2.gif

Excellent post on page 2 that puts everything into perspective!!! :worship:

Different Strokes for Different Folks! I would not have paid 78 plus dollars if I was only planning on 3-4 rides. If you do not like coasters or simulators then why go at all? Universals theme is still "Ride the Movies" this is not like the wdw "its a small world" rides, it it action and adventure. Im sorry you had a bad time. in the five times Ive been there I never found the photo people to be pushy at all. let them take your pic, if you do not want it...dont take it!

You and your husband sound like great parents for trying as much as you do. Godbless! We had a similar situation with my late brother, and I cannot begin to tell you how frustrating and angry it gets you when you come across cm's like that. You can file as many complaints w/ Disney as you want...you'll find them floating in the water down by POC...that where they flush them. My brothers last trip was marred by these insensitive clods, and I'll never go back again. I have been to Universal 5 times now, and my 6yr old had been there twice w/ me and my wife. I love RPR and am going back in 10 weeks.

Hi Jayster- nice to know someone understands. My husband says life is too stressful for our vacations to be MORE stressful so no more WDW! I still can not believe how much we loved Universal! We planned to go this spring but life happened again - seizures for my son- so we now have Oct. at HRH and Dec. for Portifono reserved! I can not wait!!!!! I want to try all three resorts before we head back to RPR. That place was PERFECT! We had a club room right over the pool. My son is not very verbal but the other day I asked what he wanted to do and he said " trains at versal( his word for Universal)" so I know it was a big hit for him too! He wanted to ride the Suess High in the Sky ride OVER and OVER!! when we were there.

Macraven- my husband and I are still laughing about "mummy dust!"

Hi Jayster- nice to know someone understands. My husband says life is too stressful for our vacations to be MORE stressful so no more WDW! I still can not believe how much we loved Universal! We planned to go this spring but life happened again - seizures for my son- so we now have Oct. at HRH and Dec. for Portifono reserved! I can not wait!!!!! I want to try all three resorts before we head back to RPR. That place was PERFECT! We had a club room right over the pool. My son is not very verbal but the other day I asked what he wanted to do and he said " trains at versal( his word for Universal)" so I know it was a big hit for him too! He wanted to ride the Suess High in the Sky ride OVER and OVER!! when we were there.

Macraven- my husband and I are still laughing about "mummy dust!"

i say mummy dust rules !!!

people can have their pixie dust, i prefer mummy dust..........

glad you got a laugh out of it.

i'll be at hrh in early oct. when is your trip ?

Hey Macraven- We are going Oct 4th-8th and Dec 15th for a week- but that could change! We are at HRH for Oct. and PB for Dec. and we have not stayed at either one yet. My husband called this morning and asked me to see if I could get us a room for next weekend! My son is on spring break and we just got the doctors ok to travel! (He has epilepsy along with his autism). So now I am not sure where to stay this trip. I am still in shock- this is the first time EVER my husband has suggested a trip! I think Universal has won him over!:love:

hey dsmom, looks like you have a partner in crime for universal.
i'll be at hrh the same time as you ! yoo hoo......

we'll have to meet.
i'll have my people call your people......lol

last october another universal homies was at rph the same time i was and in the same room i was but 2 floors above.

does that make sense?
patster was on floor 4 and i was on floor 6, or something like that...

i saw their pic in a uo forum in the picture thread. then i remember that i recognized them in the elevator and at the hotel.

didn't realize it until i was back home from my trip and reading the threads.

are you doing hhn?

i live and breathe it........:rolleyes1

universal is just way kewl

We hear so much about how Universal doesn't have the "magic." It looks like you found a little magic there. Thanks for sharing.
I have to pipe in here .. we went to US/IOA back in 2004.
My youngest son had AFO (ankle food orthotic) braces on. (He's also got a form of autism - but is pretty highly functioning) One of the people who worked there, stopped what he was doing came over, took some beads out of his pocket, twisted them into a little dog shape, and said "bless you," mouthed a small silent prayer, and gave the beads to him. I was very touched by his gesture. The beads are in our credenza.

And .. we'll be down in US/IOA on October 6 - 7th too!

hey barb, looks like the october homie list is growing.

i will see you there also.

and, i wear an AFO also

i'm glad you and your family were treated with the attention from the employee. things like that are so good to hear.

Hey Macraven- sorry it has taken so long to reply! Crazy week with my son! I would love to meet while we are there. But I have to tell you we are old fogies- I will be the big 4-9 this year!:faint: , my husband is a baby- he is only 44 this year. I heard on another thread that 3-0 is old!:rotfl2:
We haven't done the halloween party at Universal- I am afraid it might be a little bit frightening for my son. Maybe when he gets a little older we will try it. I could not get a good rate for next week so it looks like we will wait till mid april or early May to sneak down for a long weekend.

Hey Barb a - that was a beautiful story! All the people we have come across at Universal have been outstanding! How old is your son? Mine is 8 - he will be nine in August and unfortunately he is on the severe end of the spectrum. Where are you staying in October? We will all have to meet up while we are there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter