September 2010 PTR, Celebrating Our Anniversary (With My In-laws?)

mjaure

Mouseketeer
Hello! :wave2: Welcome to my first attempt at a PTR (and hopefully TR). DH and I will be celebrating our 10th anniversary this year and there was no where else I would rather go than Disney! It so happened that his parents were also celebrating their 40th anniversary this year and I wanted to do something special for them. So I am taking them to Disney with us! Good idea? We’ll find out!

Who’s going?

MaryJames.jpg

Me, Mary 33 (34 on the trip), loves Disney, crochets, loves Crocs, loves Facebook, enjoys watching: Lost, Supernatural, House, Grey’s Anatomy, Desperate Housewives and American Idol (usually, this season kinda sucks), has been to WDW 5 times.

DH, James 38 (39 on the trip), is not a Disney fan, plays computer games and Xbox 360 games, enjoys watching: Lost, Caprica, House, Spartacus, TruTV and making fun of American Idol (but he likes Big Mike this season), has been to WDW 4 times.

HildaJimmy.jpg

DMIL, Hilda, likes to read, play games on the computer, enjoys watching Big Brother, Survivor and most any show on BBC and HGTV, has been to the Magic Kingdom once back before EPCOT.

DFIL, Jimmy, likes to garden, enjoys watching the news, NASCAR and I’m not sure what else, has never been to WDW

Who’s not going?

DisneyHalloweenTrip2009140.jpg

DS, Joseph 13 (14 when we go), I didn’t want him to miss any school since it will be his freshman year of high school, he will be staying with my BFF and her family.

Dad.jpg

Ddad, Roger, he has lived with us ever since he had a stroke 6-7 years ago, my BFF’s DS20 will be staying at our house to keep an eye on him.

I love my BFF Teresa. Here's a pic of Teresa and I at WDW for her 40th Birthday last year.

DisneyHalloweenTrip2009053.jpg

Dnephew, Brian 17, he lives with MIL & FIL, he will be staying with Great Grandpa.

IMG_3489.jpg

When are we going?

September 25 - October 3 2010

Where are we staying?

Coronado Springs Resort, 2 King Rooms (hopefully 1st floor) with the DxDP

Why are we going?

To celebrate our 10th anniversary and the in-laws 40th anniversary! MIL and FIL have had a rough year. MIL’s mom passed away last summer and FIL’s dad had to have his leg amputated from complications due to Diabetes. They really need a vacation. We do not get to see them much anymore as we live in NC and they live in FL.

How will we get there?

DH and I will drive down from NC to Ocala FL where his parents (and both sets of grandparents) live. We are leaving in the morning of 9/24 (Friday) and will get there in time for dinner. The next morning we will all pile in FIL’s van with all of our luggage and drive the 1 hour and 45 minutes to Orlando to CSR to check in and get our Keys to the World.

--Mary

Well I am so glad you started a PTR. We can keep eachother company.

You're a lost fan too? OMG I can't miss an episode of lost, I even have requested that night off of work until the season is over.

You're trip sounds fun, it's really nice of you to be taking your inlaws to Disney. I hope oyu all have a great time.

I can't wait to see what ADR's you make.

Our Story

MaryJamesWedding.jpg

The short version: we met at a Sci-Fi Convention. He was a friend of a friend of my BFF Teresa and she had met him before. He lived at the coast, about a 3 ½ hour drive. We talked and e-mailed a lot and I drove down to see him every other weekend and he did the same (good thing gas was lots cheaper back then!). I moved in with him for 5 months. My mom had cancer during this time and it was getting worse so I moved back home. We discussed getting married and so we did a few months later. So I met him in mid February 2000 and we got married November 5th 2000. Seems quick but my first husband I knew for only 2 months!! :scared1: I was only 18 when we got married and young and stupid. That marriage lasted almost 3 years and the only good thing to come out of it was my son Joseph.

We had our wedding in the backyard of my parents house as my mom was too weak to be up and about for too long. My mom was so happy to see me marry a good man who would take care of me and Joseph. She passed away a couple months later. :sad1:

So he moved to be with me and we have moved to different houses since then. About 5 years ago we bought the home we are in now. And now we are about to celebrate our 10th anniversary! :banana::cool1::thumbsup2:woohoo:

--Mary

Their Story

HildaJimmy.jpg

I asked my MIL to e-mail me the story of how they met. So here it is in her own words.

Dearest Mary:
How did me meet? Well, in 1967 thru 1969 I lived in Beaufort, South Carolina with my aunt and uncle, he was in the Marine Corps stationed there.
Jimmy's aunt and uncle, Harold and Marie Lee, lived in that town also. My aunt and uncle took us all to church close to where we lived and Jimmy’s aunt and uncle went there also.

Vietnam was on its way by then and Jimmy was there fighting. During Christmas of 1969,our church, Port Royal Baptist Church, decided to send all out military personal that either went to church there or their family, Christmas cards. I think I send about 50 of them. Well, Jimmy was the only one who answered back and said thank you.

We started writing to each other and developed a very nice friendship. We exchanged photos, and believe me I had no intention of getting married then. When he left Vietnam he was stationed in South Carolina but I was no longer living there, I had returned to Puerto Rico. I had some problems with a young marine, he was constantly following me around and wouldn't leave me alone. I met him through my sisters first husband, who was also stationed there, and I guess he got a bit possessive with me and was making my life very difficult. So I left.

Jimmy and I continued writing to each other, maybe for about 6 or 7 months more. He then got orders to go to Germany and I always wanted to go there. So I told him that and he said, well, you want to get married and come live here with me? We had not met person to person yet, just good pen pal friends. But I said, yeah, why not, I was ready to go to Germany! That is the truth.

So, Jimmy flew from Germany to Puerto Rico. We met for the first time the Thursday he got there and got married that Saturday. I was terrified until I saw him, then everything just felt in place and I was sure I wanted to marry him. My family was ready to take him back to the airport if I had said take him, but after we met, and we talked, and we decided this was the right thing to do for us, we got married.

It has been 39 yrs of ups and downs, of good and not so good but not once have we felt we needed to divorce each other. And believe you me, I felt like leaving more times that I remember and I’m sure he did too, but this June we will celebrate 40 yrs together, and God willing there will be many more. Having a Christian faith has made it all possible, dear Mary. When we felt like giving up, Jesus was there to put it all back together.

And that, is our story.

How wonderful for you that you are celebrating TWO anniversaries while you are at Disney...and at my favorite resort as well. DH and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary (as well as both of our 50th birthdays) at the CSR. Can't wait to read more.

Oh Gosh Mary, those were great stories. more then ever now I would love to meet somewhere and all of us have a drink and toast to our marriages.

How wonderful for you that you are celebrating TWO anniversaries while you are at Disney...and at my favorite resort as well. DH and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary (as well as both of our 50th birthdays) at the CSR. Can't wait to read more.

Thanks KatMark! It was from your CSR thread that I made my decision on the resort! I hadn't even considered CSR before on our previous trips. My MIL likes Southwest themes and is from Puerto Rico so I thought she would really like CSR. I have requested a first floor room in the Casitas and we will have king rooms. The fountains look so lovely in the Casitas. If we do not end up there that's OK.

I was going to surprise the in-laws with the trip during Christmas, however Disney had other ideas! When I booked the reservation in August, I had to do 2 reservations for 2 rooms and they required address information for everyone. I did give them my e-mail address only, lol. So fastforward about a month later. My MIL calls confused because they got something in the mail from Disney about their trip to Colorado! :scared1: My FIL called and they told him that I had booked a trip so he told MIL to call me! I told her no we were not going to Colorado, lol, but I had a "surprise" trip to Disney for all of us planned. I have since sent her pictures of the resort and she and FIL are excited.

DH turns 40 next June. Wonder if he will want to go back to Disney to celebrate his birthday? He is not big on Disney so I will have to try to figure out a way to nudge him in that direction, lol.

--Mary

Oh Gosh Mary, those were great stories. more then ever now I would love to meet somewhere and all of us have a drink and toast to our marriages.

I would love to meet up with you. I will post what I have planned so far so maybe we'll be in the same park one day. Next Monday it will be time for ADRs!

--Mary

Our Plans…so far

I had planned this as a laid back trip. I do have some breakfast ADRs that I would like to make before the park opens. We do not have park hoppers as we never have needed them before and it never was a problem. I should also have 4 GAD certificates to turn into fast passes to use on 4 of the days. I’m lucky to have registered before it was closed. We like leaving a park after lunch for a break and going back in the afternoon. I do not have MNSSHP scheduled this trip, as it is expensive for the 4 of us and I don’t know if they would be interested in going. But that could change. We probably will be driving to the parks since FIL will need a scooter and I am planning on renting one from offsite.

Here is what I have planned so far:

Sat 9/25 Arrival day
Check in at resort and put luggage in room if ready
Go to AK
Lunch at Yaki & Yeti
Dinner at Boma at AKL

Both of these ADRs will be new to us and I am excited to try them! It would make sense to go straight from AK to the AKL for our ADR, right? AK closes at 5pm that day and since we would get there probably around lunch time I figure we could just walk around and maybe see a few shows and let the in-laws soak in Disney a bit (since it is their first time). Maybe see the parade? We have not seen it before so this would be new.

Sun 9/26
DHS Fantasmic night
Breakfast in room
Earliest lunch ADR at 50’s Prime Time Café
Fantasmic package at the Brown Derby

We have done both of these before and really enjoyed them. It would be the first time with the Fantasmic package. James has not seen Fantasmic before. When we went in 2008 he went back to the room to rest (his back was bothering him) and Joseph and I stayed to watch it.

Mon 9/27
MK Spectromagic and Wishes night
Breakfast at Cinderella’s Royal Table !!
Snacks for lunch
Early dinner at Ohana
Go back to the MK to see Spectromagic parade and Wishes

We have never ate at the castle before and I sure hope I can get this ADR! Our second choice would be Crystal Place that we have done before. We have been to Ohana before and enjoyed it.

Tue 9/28
Epcot with morning EMH
Breakfast in room
Unsure if we will actually get there at 8am
Lunch at Le Cellier
Dinner at Teppan Edo
Illuminations

We have been to Le Cellier once in 2007. It was our last ADR on that trip and by that time James was tired of steak so he got salmon instead! So we must go back so he can get the steak. Teppan Edo is new but I love Japanese so I am excited to try this.
Wed 9/29
DHS
Breakfast in Room
Lunch at Sci-Fi Dine-In
Go back to CSR to freshen up
Dinner at Flying Fish

We love the theme at the Sci-Fi and think the in-laws will too. Flying Fish will be new to us. We haven’t been on the Boardwalk before so we will have fun exploring it! Maybe we’ll send FIL & James back to CSR and MIL & I will check out Jellyrolls!

Thur 9/30
AK
Breakfast at Tusker House
Snacks for Lunch
Go back to CSR to freshen up
Dinner at California Grill

The only new one here is Tusker House for breakfast. We really enjoyed lunch here back in 2008. I hope to be able to watch Hallowishes while at the California Grill. We did in 2008 on Halloween Night and they were awesome!

Fri 10/1
MK MNSSHP night but we are not attending…or will we?
Breakfast in room
Lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern
Dinner at Narcoossees

Both of these are new for us. Narcoossees had me at lobster.

Sat. 10/2
Epcot Food & Wine Festival!
Breakfast at Princess Storybook in Norway
Snack around the world for lunch
Dinner at Hoop Dee Doo Revue

James loved the breakfast potatoes last time we had breakfast at Princess Storybook. He also liked Jasmine, lol. Hoop Dee Doo Revue would be new and I am a looking forward to it! I just changed this today from Raglan Road.

Sun. 10/3
Epcot Food & Wine Festival!
Last Day, boo
Pack up the van and check out
Today we’ll ride the buses or park at the TTC
Mid-Morning Breakfast at Chef Mickey’s
Ride Monorail to Epcot
Lunch at Biergarten
Use up snacks or get stuff to take home
Get the van and drive back to the in-law’s house for night.

Mon. 10/4
Drive home

It will be interesting to see how many snacks we have left at the end of the trip. In 2008 we had the DxDP and we were conservative with the snack credits. We ended up with 16 left over! I got a bunch of Mickey Mouse Rice Krispy Treats to bring home. Last year we went during spring break and had the QSDP and had just a few left.

--Mary

Oh, my. I'm drooling just reading over the places that you are planning on dining. We have done a good majority of them and you have a great selection.

I'm glad my thread was able to help on your decision for your resort choice.

I'm subbing Mary! We're going the same week and your plans look great! Looks like we'll both be at DHS on Wednesday! :goodvibes

So far I am thinking that meeting at Epcot on the 28th would be our best, maybe somewhere in world showcase. Kent and I are only doing the quick service plan this time so we won't be held down by ADR's and could easily skip around the parks, the only thing that might hinder it is MNSSHP, I will hopefully be able to schedule it for any other day then the 28th. I'm so excited to meet you all.

Your plans sound great, your ADR's sound yummy!

Your plans look great! How fun being able to celebrate your anniversary in WDW.

My DH and I will be celebating our 10 year anniversary ((next year)). we got married at the POLY and I would love to go back and renew our vows for our 10 year and celebrate at WDW. :)

I look forward to more! :)

So far I am thinking that meeting at Epcot on the 28th would be our best, maybe somewhere in world showcase. Kent and I are only doing the quick service plan this time so we won't be held down by ADR's and could easily skip around the parks, the only thing that might hinder it is MNSSHP, I will hopefully be able to schedule it for any other day then the 28th. I'm so excited to meet you all.

Your plans sound great, your ADR's sound yummy!

That sounds good! We'll be better able to narrow down a time after I see what times I can get for the ADRs. Gosh I am nervous, lol! I call on Monday morning! I don't think I am competing with any other dissers as far as I can tell from other's pre-trip reports. I have a doctor's appointment at 8:30am on Monday so I may be late for that! I have already arranged to drop DS at a friend's house earlier Monday morning so she can take him and her DD to school. I felt a little silly asking if she can take him to school because I have to make dining reservations! :rotfl: Luckily she understands my addiction.

--Mary

Your plans look great! How fun being able to celebrate your anniversary in WDW.

My DH and I will be celebating our 10 year anniversary ((next year)). we got married at the POLY and I would love to go back and renew our vows for our 10 year and celebrate at WDW. :)

I look forward to more! :)

Thanks for reading! I bet your wedding was lovely! I hope you do get to go renew your vows next year at WDW.

--Mary

Well, I have decided to switch Chef Mickeys in favor of 1900 Park Fare breakfast with Mary Poppins (Supercalifragilistic Breakfast). We did Chef Mickeys in 2008 and liked it, however we will have already seen Mickey and Donald at the Tusker House breakfast so maybe something different will be better? We have done dinner here before (also in 2008) but never breakfast.

I have lots of pictures of my 2008 trip and my two 2009 trips on my Facebook page if anyone's interested. Food pics too. Let me know and I will PM the link.

Also I am rethinking about the Halloween party. I have some reward dollars from my Disney Visa that I have been saving up. I have been paying on the trip with my card and then paying that off. I had planned on paying off the trip with the card when free dining is annouced so I should have enough reward dollars from that for 4 MNSSHP tickets. If I did that then I would have to pick a night and move some stuff arround and probably change one ADR altogether. I don't know. :confused3

Any suggestions, comments??

--Mary

2 more days and it will be under 6 months!!!:banana::banana::cool1::cool1::thumbsup2:goodvibes:woohoo::woohoo::dance3::cheer2:

I say if you are able to do MNSSHP then you should go for it. I hope it works out for you that you can go. YOu have plenty of time to make changes to your ADR's. My thoughts are with you during your endeaveros.

I received our GAD certificates and they are in my planning binder ready for our trip.

001.jpg

I have purchased pearl cage carriage necklaces from ebay. MIL and I will do Pick A Pearl in Japan.

002.jpg

Back on our trip in 2008 we did the pick a pearl in Japan. DH, DS and I each picked one. I had the pearls made into a ring and earrings. They were set in gold. I don't remember how much it cost but it was over $200.00.

003.jpg

004.jpg

006.jpg

I have been waiting patiently (well maybe not :rolleyes1) for the free dining code to be released for Disney Visa cardholders as it would save me $$. Finally this morning while at work my patience was rewarded. I called around 9am and only waited less than a minute to be connected to a live person! I was able to change my existing reservations (2 for 2 rooms) to the free dining code and upgrade to the Deluxe plan and still keep a king room at CSR! I saved almost $500.00 on each reservation! :cool1::woohoo::cheer2:

I have pretty much decided that we will not do MNSSHP this year. I've been twice and have really enjoyed it, but it's a lot of money. Maybe another time when DS goes too.

I did get all of the ADRs I wanted at almost the time I picked out.

9/25 Yak & Yeti 11:30am
9/25 Boma 6pm
9/26 50's Prime Time Cafe 11:00am
9/26 Brown Derby Fantasmic Package 4:20pm
9/27 Cinderella's Royal Table 8:15am
9/27 'Ohana 5:00pm
9/28 Le Cellier 11:30am
9/28 Teppan Edo 5:50pm
9/29 Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater 11:15am
9/29 Flying Fish 6pm
9/30 Donald's Safari Breakfast 8:05am
9/30 California Grill 7:30pm
10/1 Liberty Tree Tavern 11:40am
10/1 Narcoossee's 7:30pm
10/2 Princess Storybook Dining 8:10am
10/2 Hoop Dee Doo Category 2 7:15pm
10/3 Supercalifragilistic Breakfast 9:30am
10/3 Biergarten 1:30pm

--Mary

Two weekends ago we visited the NC Zoo in Asheboro, about 1 hour and 15 minutes from where we live. Here are a few pictures.

NCZoo4-17-10011.jpg

NCZoo4-17-10022.jpg

NCZoo4-17-10027.jpg

NCZoo4-17-10077.jpg

NCZoo4-17-10091.jpg

NCZoo4-17-10124.jpg

NCZoo4-17-10139.jpg

NCZoo4-17-10155.jpg

NCZoo4-17-10163.jpg

I really recommend the NC Zoo if anyone visits the area.

--Mary

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter