She's Packing it All In, a June 2023 5 Night Copper Creek 1BR Trip Report (Completed 8/17)

GrandCalifornian

Can't Wait To Go Back
Hi everybody, we just got back from Disney World and are ready to kick off another trip report!
p1655835469-4.jpg

We had such a great time and packed a lot into a 4 park days.

Yes we did, unlike most of our past trips, this one was a five night trip to Wilderness Lodge, and was our first visit since January 2022. Since it was over a year between trips, we were all really happy to be back.

You know what’s really exciting? We’ve been doing trip reports for 11 years! We totally missed 10 years last year.

That's something. This will be our 12th Trip Report! For anyone who's just joining in for the first time, we'll go ahead and introduce ourselves.

I'm Paul, a now 43 year old Dad, Engineer, Elevator Technician, Car Guy, and taker of way too many photos.
p1710791345-4.jpg

I'll be writing my portions of the report in Blue.

I’m Melissa, mom, kid chauffer, homeschool teacher, and office lady at the family elevator business.
p1695818383-4.jpg

I'll post my comments in Orange.

This is Allison, who is now 13! She is the “she” in the title of all of our trip reports.
p1792508852-4.jpg

She just finished 7th grade and is excited for the summer. She made daily vlog vidoes this trip and they came out so cute. We’ll post a link to them as we finish each day.

Here's Marshall, our youngest who is now seven years old.
p1845897148-4.jpg

He's been visiting WDW his whole life, and loves running around, building things, and anything that moves. His favorite ride is Slinky Dog Dash, and his favorite park is now Hollywood Studios.

This trip is our 11th as a family, and all but one of them have been to Wilderness Lodge, which is my favorite resort and favorite place anywhere.
p1769098181-4.jpg

We fell in love with the resort when we honeymooned there sixteen years ago this week, and ever since it has been our favorite vacation destination.

The timing of this trip fell perfectly so we’d be at Disney for our anniversary which we were both so excited about. We were there from June 7-12. Maybe not so excited about the potential weather but I think it ended up better than the freeze warnings we got during our January trip.

It is our first time since our honeymoon that we've returned in June. We have made lots of September trips, and more recently have been going in the winter, but Allie specifically requested to go when it's more typical warm Florida weather.

We also didn’t want to deal with her missing school since she’s in middle school now. Luckily our district gets out pretty early so we tried to schedule the trip early in June to help with crowd levels.

That leads to the "who" for this trip. Since our friends Jon and Brandy who have joined us on many trips were not excited about the heat and crowds, and my parents Grandpa Jim and Grandma Nancy had just been to WL in December to celebrate their 50th anniversary, we would be on our own as a family of four for the first time.
p1722270524-4.jpg

p1816377982-4.jpg

We set ourselves loose without supervision!

That meant we were free to roam at our own pace, which for this trip was pretty accelerated. Since we still can't take as much time away from work as we used to, we put this trip on the calendar as a realistic goal, and made it happen with only taking four days off of work.

And by accelerated pace he means he walked my butt off. I don’t know how he has the energy he does.

I am the first to get up in the mornings, and take advantage of this time to take pictures of our resort. We stayed at our home DVC resort of Copper Creek at Wilderness Lodge for this entire visit, and I got to enjoy the resort with very few other people around. I love watching it come alive, while families start their day and head off to the parks. In the parks, we did cover some ground, because we just didn't want to miss anything. We know it's not possible to do everything in such a short trip, we gave our best shot at minimizing what we'd miss out on.

So that’s our who, what, where, and when of our trip, let’s kick this off!

Let's start the fun!

Table of Contents:
Intro
Arrival Day
MK Morning
Wrapping Up MK and Driving to The Springs
Early Entry to Epcot
Anniversary Evening
Brunch at Disney Springs
Animal Kingdom Afternoon
HS Morning and an Excellent Lunch
Runaway Railway and a Hop to EPCOT
LeCellier and another Park Hop
Departure Morning at WL
The Trip Home
Wrap Up

Allie's Vlog Links:
Arrival Day
Day 1
Day 2
Day 3
Day 4
Final Day

Prior Reports:
She's free before she's three, touring the world with a toddler: September 2012 Trip Report
She turned 3, but the DDP's Free, a WL Bounceback PTR: September 2013
She's a Princess, a Superhero, and a Rockstar -a September 2013 Trip Report
She's Turning Five at Disney World - a September 2014 PTR
She's Five at Riverside - September 2014 Trip Report
She's Going to Show Him The World - September 2016 PTR
She's a Big Sister and an Expedition Leader: A September 2016 TR
She's Sleeping on the Top Bunk: An August 2017 WL TR with a Party of 10
She's Staying DVC, a September 2018 PTR
She's On Top of The World, a September 2018 TR at Copper Creek Villas and Cabins
She's Going Back to Back, a September 2019 and February 2020 PTR
She Dodged a Hurricane, Skipped School, and Adopted a Porg, A September 2019 TR
She's a Disney Adult and Feeling Artsy, a February 2020 TR
She's Masking Up and Taking on The World, a Jan 2021 PTR
She's Collecting Castles and Staying at Copper Creek, a Jan 2021 TR
She's Surprised to be back to Disney World, a May 2021 Yacht Club Girl's Trip
She's Adding all the Extras, a January 2022 BCV / WL Split Stay Trip Report
She's Saying Aloha, an April 2022 Oahu and Aulani Trip Report
She's Camping at Coral Pink, a Summer 2022 Utah Camping Trip Report
She's Making a June Trip, a June 2023 PTR

Last edited:

On our arrival day, we got up at 3:30 AM and finished getting the house ready for our friends who would be housesitting the dogs. We got both kids up and ready by 4:30, then put away the last load of laundry before heading out at 4:45.
p1742338530-4.jpg

It’s always a little stressful having people stay at your house so I just wanted it to be perfect before we left. It really didn’t feel super early, often we have to be out of the house by 3 or so for our flights out of LAX but this time we did something different.

We were flying out of San Diego for the first time. It is about 2 hours from our house, but that's no worse than LAX with traffic, and we hoped the airport experience would be better. We got to Chick Fil A in Escondido for breakfast at 6:35.
p1638748051-4.jpg

We loaded up on Chicken Minis and hashbrowns. It was a good place to stop for a potty and breakfast. They also had the cutest ballerina cow on the counter, she was a great kickoff to a Disney week.
p1859088609-4.jpg

From there we made it to the airport by 7:25, and parking was super easy. Our pre-paid parking here was less than 1/3 of what it would have cost at LAX, and the lot was actually open and easily accessible.
p1795133701-4.jpg

Oh man, for those that read our Hawaii trip report might remember what a nightmare parking was for LAX the last time we flew out of there. This was the opposite experience, easy, reasonably priced, and quick.

Allie somehow had missed the fact that we were flying out of San Diego, and was confused as to why we were driving a different way.

She was so lost, and got more confused when she saw the ocean. We were cracking up.
p1697309594-4.jpg

San Diego is also way prettier than LA.

Bag check and TSA went very quick and easy, with the minor exception of Allie loosing her earbuds from her backpack. We went and got her another pair and some drinks from the airport store.

After taking out a second mortgage for new earbuds for Allie we had a bit of time to kill. The boys watched planes come and go.
p1647726851-4.jpg

We had a couple of hours to kill, but it went pretty quickly. Marshall video chatted with Kathy who was at the office. Our flight pre-boarding started at 10:07, and we boarded at 10:25.
p1616921021-4.jpg

After we got seated Marshall got aquainted with the aircraft safety instructions. He took them very seriously (as he should) and indicated which exits would be best in a land vs. water landing.
p1678411845-4.jpg

We pushed back at 10:53 and were in the air by 11:06. I bought the WiFi to do some web surfing, and hope for the room number text. We had a neat view of the bay as we took off, then got up into the clouds.
p1753677759-4.jpg

Again, San Diego is so pretty. We had some snacks on the plane and the kids kept busy with thier devices. It’s a long flight but it’s so nice that it was a non-stop.

Yes, we love having the non-stop flight. This time they had the seatbelt light on for quite a while, and the air crew had to remain seated for a bit, but it wasn't too bad. As we got closer to Orlando, they said the airport was being affected by weather and we might have to circle for a while or possibly divert to Tampa.

That was not exciting news.

I had the flight aware website for the flight up, and could see the storms around the airport.
p1641297055-4.jpg

Soon after he told the flight attendants to prepare the cabin for landing, as we were trying to get in before the storm. We could see the dark clouds on the North side of the plane, but the airport stayed open and we were heading straight in.

It was a pretty uneventful landing for the weather that was on the radar. We’ve for sure seen worse.

And the best part was we managed to land ahead of schedule. After landing at 6:25 I got the room number text, but only the second text of two. Looking at my phone, I still had the room number from last trip to Boardwalk, and I couldn't figure our why the number they sent didn't exist at WL. After a minute of confusion, I got the first text that actually had the number. To my delight, it was room 5105, which is one of the so called "bear face" rooms tha topens to the lobby yet faces the inner courtyard. We always request rooms that meet this criteria, but in all of our WL trips this was our first time getting one of these rooms. I couldn't wait to see it in person.

He was beside himself guys. I think if the people around us on the plane were paying attention they would think he was nuts. I kinda thought he was nuts….

I haven't been that excited about anything in a long time. It is so cool, my perfect room location...

Umm except maybe the green Jeep we bought in March…

That wasn't as much of a surprise, and took more work and anticipation... This just came in a text...

Anyway, we deplaned and found our luggage.

Getting our bags went well, but we were on the B side and had purchased a toll road transponder that needed to be picked up on the A side.
p1815911891-4.jpg

We lugged our bags across on the 3rd floor and over to the A side, where we picked up the transponder and then headed to the rental car pick up. This was our first time ever renting a car in Orlando, and we had reserved a Jeep. When we got to the Alamo section of the lot, there were no Jeeps there.
p1611200611-4.jpg

Paul had a moment of panic… and then they drove a Jeep over from the B side.
p1639986965-4.jpg

They probably had it waiting for us over there.... Oh well, soon we had it and were on our way, driving in Florida for the first time.

We found the nearest Target on the map and started heading that way. It felt pretty strange to be in the wild on our own in Orlando. We decided we needed dinner before we did our shopping, and I found a Portillo’s that was near the Target. We have one near our house and we decided that’d be more exciting than Chick Fil A again.
p1735537668-4.jpg

It was a nice arrival dinner, and beat anything we could have grabbed at the airport.
p1839289009-4.jpg

p1781362259-4.jpg

It did feel strange to be in Orlando and outside of the bubble. After dinner we went to Target, where we saw they had a bunch of Disney items. You really can buy your souveniers there ahead of time...
p1731863830-4.jpg

They had t-shirts for the whole family. We picked up a case of water, coffee creamer, some spray fan bottles, and a toothbrush for Paul (that’s a whole other story, his toothbrush had a tragic death the night before we left), and some breakfasty foods.

It was nice to get these things ourselves on the way in, instead of using Garden Grocer or a similar service to have them delivered to the resort. Simple things, but new things to us.

Yes! And we found those spray bottles which the kids actually ended up using during the trip and saved about 10 bucks total over what we would have paid in the parks.

We loaded up our Target finds and headed to the Lodge. We crossed under the sign and hapily into the Disney bubble. We parked at 9:30, and could see the MK firworks still underway in the distance as we walked up to the lodge.
p1704097552-4.jpg

I think this might be the first time we didn’t have to stop at the front desk before we went to our room… actually correct me if I’m wrong we didn’t stop at the front desk the whole trip.

That is true, it was an entire trip without a visit to the front desk. Our Magic Bands worked, and soon we were in my perfect room. I got pictures all around in the room, especially of the view of the pool and lake from the balcony.
p1771005960-4.jpg

p1625864420-4.jpg

p1702976447-4.jpg

p1730627082-4.jpg

He kept running across the room from the balcony to the lobby and back again.
p1857730790-4.jpg

p1705733411-4.jpg

It was just perfect. We unpacked our bags (that we didn't have to wait for) and then went down to Roaring Fork to get our mugs.
p1629673752-4.jpg

p1831702533-4.jpg

We all got drinks and then stopped into the Mercantile to look around and ended up closing it down.
p1736157565-4.jpg

Then we went back up to the room to get settled for the night, it was a long travel day and we were pretty tired. We brought a little air mattress for Marshall because the kids don’t share a bed well anymore.
p1728555510-4.jpg

It ended up working out perfectly. After we got the kids all tucked in I hopped in the bathtub. Friends, that tub is amazing and melted all the icky travel ick away.

It was a perfect arrival night, and except for almost being too excited to sleep we were in bed by just after 11 and the trip was off to a perfect start.

Stay tuned for our shenanigans at Magic Kingdom. Would we ride Tron? Do we get drenched? Come back to find out!

Here’s Allie’s vlog link for the first day. We will include these at the end of each day’s report. They are pretty cute:

Last edited:

Happy for you that you got the room you wanted! Funny, as I was reading it I thought it was your best thing since the new Jeep, and then you actually talked about that!

Gorgeous photo of Allie looking out at the courtyard.

Allie's video is very entertaining! Did she just recently get her braces removed?

I'm Paul, a now 43 year old Dad, Engineer, Elevator Technician, Car Guy, and taker of way too many photos.
I love Paul's shirt. :)
we would be on our own as a family of four for the first time.
Our kids always have a better trip when they don't have anyone else with them, too. So do we. :)
She was so lost, and got more confused when she saw the ocean. We were cracking up.
Maybe she thought that this was a trick, and you were really going somewhere else. ;)
He was beside himself guys. I think if the people around us on the plane were paying attention they would think he was nuts. I kinda thought he was nuts….
I would be excited, too. That is the best location at the WL. :)
Paul had a moment of panic… and then they drove a Jeep over from the B side.
That's a nice looking Jeep.
I found a Portillo’s that was near the Target.
Portillo's was started in our area. It is one of our favorites.
We parked at 9:30, and could see the MK firworks still underway in the distance as we walked up to the lodge.
What a great welcome!
After we got the kids all tucked in I hopped in the bathtub. Friends, that tub is amazing and melted all the icky travel ick away.
That tub looks fantastic. :)

Off to a great start. Excited by the pics of the room. We are staying in a 1 bedroom at CCV in September. We have stayed at BRV and the lodge side of WL, but never CCV. So very excited since we do love WL. Do you have any pics of the shower area/entrance? I just want to be prepared for my Mom and the step into the shower.

I always fly from San Diego and take that same Alaska flight. I was tempted to try Delta out of LAX for my next trip but decided I didn't want the hassle of LAX parking either.
And I have a Portillos near where I live too and have never gone! I must try it.

Happy for you that you got the room you wanted! Funny, as I was reading it I thought it was your best thing since the new Jeep, and then you actually talked about that!
Lol yes, it was a very cool thing to just happen.

Gorgeous photo of Allie looking out at the courtyard.
Thanks, I love that one.

Allie's video is very entertaining! Did she just recently get her braces removed?
Thanks, yes, she just got her braces off the Monday before the trip. It makes for a very fun start to summer for her.

I love Paul's shirt. :)
Thanks, we actually got that on our honeymoon, so I brought it for the occasion.

Our kids always have a better trip when they don't have anyone else with them, too. So do we. :)
They tend to have a good time either way, but do spend a fair amount of time arguing amongst themselves either way. Oh well, siblings...

Maybe she thought that this was a trick, and you were really going somewhere else. ;)
Where would she get that idea... It's not like we've tricked her before... ;)

I would be excited, too. That is the best location at the WL. :)
We always request high floor, near lobby, and this time it worked out perfectly.

That's a nice looking Jeep.
Thanks. It had Illinois plates on it, and walking out of Portillo's some guys asked us what part of the state we were from. Then we decided to name the Jeep Chicago so that's what we called her the rest of the trip.

Portillo's was started in our area. It is one of our favorites.
We figured that was close to home for you.

What a great welcome!
They were neater than the pictures we got indicated. The timing was exceptional, and purely by accident.

That tub looks fantastic. :)
It is so nice, and really quite big.

Sounds like your trip is off to a great start!
It was, and we can't wait to continue the fun.

Off to a great start. Excited by the pics of the room. We are staying in a 1 bedroom at CCV in September. We have stayed at BRV and the lodge side of WL, but never CCV. So very excited since we do love WL. Do you have any pics of the shower area/entrance? I just want to be prepared for my Mom and the step into the shower.
Hello and congratulations. Here's one more of the shower entrance. It is a very low step, from right in front of the toilet into the shower.
p1733409943-4.jpg

Oh and love you stopped at Portillos. Former Chicagoan and I do love my Chicago style hot dogs, italian beefs, and polish sausages. We have been to the Buena Park one a couple times --- it is pretty close to Disneyland.
Yeah, we have one very near our house and don't go that often, but it was just perfect for something nice and different to kick off the trip.

I always fly from San Diego and take that same Alaska flight. I was tempted to try Delta out of LAX for my next trip but decided I didn't want the hassle of LAX parking either.
And I have a Portillos near where I live too and have never gone! I must try it.
We love Delta, but LAX is not worth it. Our parking at San Diego was so much cheaper and easier, and we love the smaller airport feel. Alaska did a good job for us this time, and we'd definitely do it again.

What a great start! Looking forward to following along!
Welcome, and thanks for joining in!

Last edited:
Following! You're off to a great start! The flight from CA to FL is a looooong one. So happy for you on the room location - I know it's a big deal for you. Your first dose of pixie dust!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter