Shop Disney has the worst customer service I have ever seen!

jill leclear 626

Earning My Ears
Shop .Disney has always had difficulties for customers on its site, especially during "sales." Items would sell out before I could check out, then check out would become impossible unless the out of stock items were removed. The problem has been that their system would not always tell the customer which items were out of stock. So I'd eventually have to call customer service and have their agents figure it out --- something that was a challenge even for them, And even after the order was finally placed, I'd receive many notifications that oops, certain items purchased were not really available. This would create a problem if gifting to a family. Certain items would still be delivered to some members, then other members would receive nothing. This is especially bad if children are involved. How do you explain to nieces or nephews that of course you tried to send them something? But there were also pros: some great prices could be found on quality merchandise.

All this being said, I've never seen things with Shop Disney go as horribly wrong as they are today. I understand that we are in a middle of a pandemic; however, other companies seem to manage responding to complaints effectively and within a reasonable period of time. Not Shop Disney!

Here's what happened: Back in May of 2020, I pre-ordered 5 packages of Star Wars themed and other Disney themed assortments of masks. They were priced at about $20.00 per set of 4. I was really excited over the choices and told family and friends that I would be giving some to them as well. The only slight negative at the time was that I discovered after placing my order that they would not be available until July. I'd heard that they'd be released in June, but I guess I missed that cut off. There was no on site notification about shipping times, so I had to learn this from customer service. I accepted the delay till July. I also asked after the fact of ordering, if my $30 worth of Disney certificates (3 - $10 ones) that I'd received as compensation for pricing changes could be applied retroactively to my order. I was told that they could, and when my order shipped, I'd see the discount. It would reduce my order cost from about $108 or $109 to about $76. I was very pleased! At that point in time, everything appeared to be working more or less okay with their customer service department.

Come mid-July, I received a notice from Shop Disney that my order of masks had shipped. Tracking was included. I thought great, finally they are on their way. Disney has never had exactly speedy shipping, so I wasn't really concerned all that much when they had not arrived during the first couple of weeks, but by early August, I started worrying. They should have been here. I checked the shipping and discovered my order was simply sitting in the same shipper location. Not moving..I could not get any help through the shipping site directly, so attempted to contact Shop Disney. I hoped that they could find out what the problem was and fix it. Thus began my Disney descent into Hades.

I have totally lost track of how many emails I sent to Shop Disney, both through their site and through their customer service email. Sometimes I would receive some sort of form letter telling me to look for tracking once shipped. Sometimes I'd receive no response at all. Every time I attempted to call Shop Disney's customer service phone line, which I thought would be the most direct route to fix the issue, after being routed through the entry level information, I was told it would be over an hour's wait, but have no worries, here are some Disney songs to brighten your day. The last attempt I made to call, I was given a notice of an expected 124 minute wait. That's over two hours of listening to Disney Princesses belting out tunes. I tried hanging on for a bit, but ultimately couldn't take all that happiness coming my way even with a speaker phone and playing on the computer while waiting. So I went back to sending messages. So I hung up and sent more messages.

I finally received a message icheerfully informing me that they had cancelled my order and refunded my money to my credit card. That refund didn't take into account my $30 worth of Disney dollars. In any case, I wanted my order and not a refund. They had never bothered to give me a choice. So I sent more messages, this time amped up ones because I was getting pretty angry.

Finally I received a message from a service member (whose name I will withhold here). She sounded very sweet and attentive and like she actually cared and would fix things. She offered to call me on a certain date -- think it was August 12th -- and proceeded to ask me the best time to reach me. So I gave her a two hour window, then waited. I never heard back from her through email if the time I chose was doable. I simply hoped and expected (silly me) that she really would call. I kept my phone with me for three hours of waiting. Nada.

I went back to sending more emails requesting help. A couple of responses have trickled back informing me that whether or not I wanted it, my order was cancelled and my money refunded. The last person seemed a tad more responsive, providing the details that the refund had already gone through to my account, so she could do nothing in terms of sending me a replacement order. She declared that I was refunded in entirety, which is simply not true. I was refunded what was charged to my credit card account --- just over $76 dollars --- but not the Disney dollars from the used certificates. She told me that I could place a new order if I wanted for the same items. Yeah, well that's just great. I ordered in May and now it's getting into late August and I have nothing. And you expect me to place a new order for the same items I waited so long for? By the time Disney would get masks to me, Im guessing the pandemic might well be over. I sent yet another message in which I pointed out that I could not possibly place the same order for the refunded $76 dollars. I would come up $30 short. I don't know how to make these people understand. Perhaps they don't want to. I get that we are operating in different and difficult times, and that there's probably a shortage of Disney employees to field all the complaints, but other companies seem to do a much better job of it. They may have problems but they step in to quickly fix them. Zulily is exceptionally good that way, and I noticed that they have a whole line of cute masks, so I will be ordering from them instead.

Meanwhile, Shop Disney has stolen my $30 worth of certificates, wasted many hours of my time (I am a senior citizen so that matters to me: these are hours I will never get back!) and after 3 months of waiting for something I was really excited about, given me nothing at all but headaches. No choices about how I wanted things handled. No promised phone calls ringing through. They gave me empty promises, misunderstanding at every turn (probably because they never really took the time to actually read what I wrote), and provided tracking that never went anywhere. The tracking should have led to me. And while the shipper may be the one at fault, Shop Disney has a responsibility to follow through on the customers' behalf to make things right, to get their package to them. Shop Disney is the most irresponsible company I think I've ever seen, and I do a lot of online shopping. These people with their mouse ears telling me to have "a magical day" are the worst when it comes to service, understanding, and caring. They don't. They have such a big name, but they just don't care Instead of bringing magic and happiness to my doorstep, they drained it from my world.

Jill,
I'm sorry to read of all your frustration and problems on your order. I can't help you fix it, but just wanted to acknowledge that you were trying your best and on the other side, they dropped the ball and failed to appreciate you as a valued customer and human being. I hope things balance out and that soon equally good moments come your way.

I’m sorry that you have had such issues and I know it’s got to be incredibly frustrating. I just wonder though given the issues in the past why you continue to order from them and throwing a wrench in by adding an alternate payment form after the fact doesn’t seem worth the aggravation.

I hope that they are able to remedy your issue for you, senior or not who has time to deal with all of that nonsense.

I have to say, I had a completely different experience. I too ordered 4 sets of masks on 4/30, when they were only selling up to a Large size. Received them and they wouldn’t fit anyone in my family. Since my purchase, Disney is now selling XL sizes. I sent an email to ShopDisney saying that they don’t fit and was given a $100 store credit for my troubles.

I received a package last week. In it, was an item my husband ordered in November for Christmas. Never any indication that it was coming. He had a back order email in November with no date. He said he cancelled it at that time. They weren’t very helpful.

I have to say, I had a completely different experience. I too ordered 4 sets of masks on 4/30, when they were only selling up to a Large size. Received them and they wouldn’t fit anyone in my family. Since my purchase, Disney is now selling XL sizes. I sent an email to ShopDisney saying that they don’t fit and was given a $100 store credit for my troubles.

My experience too.
I have had to reach out to them many times over the years..... broken items, wrong sizes, etc.
Always fast service and always replaced with not problems. I know things are going slower now.....not just with them but lots of stores when ordering online.

Sorry for your bad experience

It certainty sounds frustrating :scared:

In your late comments you mention a replacement order. They are not in the pre-order phase therefore in theory (which I stress) it wouldn't take months to receive a replacement order. The XL addition I do believe was set up as a pseudo pre-order aspect taking a bit longer once they figured out (which they already should have known) that their masks were NOT standard sizes for adults like so many other companies (I'm fairly surprised by this part). That said I totally understand the skeptical part about timing given your prior experience.

On the certificates does it mention something about if you return or your order is cancelled about forfeiting the balance of the certificates? I wouldn't say Disney stole the value of the certificates based on what you've written. If I shop at JCP and use a reward certificate and return items I don't get the value of my certificate back. They just credit me whatever I actually spent. So if I had a $10 reward and my purchase was $20 with that reward I don't get $20 back and the $10 reward put back in my rewards account to be used later; it's just gone. I'm pretty sure that's how Eddie Bauer works too with their rewards program. I believe Khol's Cash depending on how it was used and the timing of your return you can get the value back. It really just comes down to store policy.

I do think "those people" do understand that you paid $76 w/certificates applied, was refunded $76, and if you went to purchase it again you wouldn't have the prior certificates to use. Perhaps the explanation to you so you actually know is if those prior certificates are considered forfeit as they have already been used, regardless of the end result. You actually were refunded in your entirety because you only paid $76 (that was what you mentioned you were actually charged for). That is a true statement made by the customer service rep. Your issue is the certificates which are a separate issue.

I can understand not wanting to wait on hold for that long but it's possible that would have been the most expedient route at that time than a continued back and forth messaging. Some companies do a call back method instead where when you call and you can choose to be called back rather than wait on hold. It's not always feasible for a company to implement that but I do know that is an option elsewhere.

I'm sorry you're having this big 'ole mess with your order though :( :(

I hear you. IMHO, shopDisney is truly the worst e-commerce site on the internet. I had a horrible experience with them last November when attempting to order Christmas gifts. I will never order clothing or breakable items from them again. Getting anyone to respond to issues is next to impossible and having to spend so much to return items in this day and age is ridiculous. There are so many other e-commerce sites that have this down to a science - quick shipping, ability to chat with customer service, easy returns. Until then, it's not worth the frustration.

My experience too.
I have had to reach out to them many times over the years..... broken items, wrong sizes, etc.
Always fast service and always replaced with not problems. I know things are going slower now.....not just with them but lots of stores when ordering online.

Sorry for your bad experience
I am sorry about the OP's frustrating experiences, but I agree with the above posters. My experience with Shop Disney's CMs and customer service has been very good. I know that mistakes get made (and we experienced that, too!), but overall, the CMs have been friendly and courteous and have tried their best to make up for any issues, even with the mask problems and all the pandemic awkwardness. And this is why Shop Disney retains my business.

Then I would expect to have the store credit restored and available for another purchase, especially since Disney cancelled the order, not OP.
As a pp explained in post #7, the issue with the certificates being refunded is something the OP will have to discuss with Shop Disney, preferably by phone, not by email. She paid $76 and was refunded that full amount. But the credit amount is still an unresolved issue, and no one here can fix that. This will have to be taken up with Shop Disney, preferably with a supervisor who can look over the whole history and straighten everything out.

As a pp explained in post #7, the issue with the certificates being refunded is something the OP will have to discuss with Shop Disney, preferably by phone, not by email. She paid $76 and was refunded that full amount. But the credit amount is still an unresolved issue, and no one here can fix that. This will have to be taken up with Shop Disney, preferably with a supervisor who can look over the whole history and straighten everything out.
I wonder if we'll ever hear from OP again.

It certainty sounds frustrating :scared:

In your late comments you mention a replacement order. They are not in the pre-order phase therefore in theory (which I stress) it wouldn't take months to receive a replacement order. The XL addition I do believe was set up as a pseudo pre-order aspect taking a bit longer once they figured out (which they already should have known) that their masks were NOT standard sizes for adults like so many other companies (I'm fairly surprised by this part). That said I totally understand the skeptical part about timing given your prior experience.

On the certificates does it mention something about if you return or your order is cancelled about forfeiting the balance of the certificates? I wouldn't say Disney stole the value of the certificates based on what you've written. If I shop at JCP and use a reward certificate and return items I don't get the value of my certificate back. They just credit me whatever I actually spent. So if I had a $10 reward and my purchase was $20 with that reward I don't get $20 back and the $10 reward put back in my rewards account to be used later; it's just gone. I'm pretty sure that's how Eddie Bauer works too with their rewards program. I believe Khol's Cash depending on how it was used and the timing of your return you can get the value back. It really just comes down to store policy.

I do think "those people" do understand that you paid $76 w/certificates applied, was refunded $76, and if you went to purchase it again you wouldn't have the prior certificates to use. Perhaps the explanation to you so you actually know is if those prior certificates are considered forfeit as they have already been used, regardless of the end result. You actually were refunded in your entirety because you only paid $76 (that was what you mentioned you were actually charged for). That is a true statement made by the customer service rep. Your issue is the certificates which are a separate issue.

I can understand not wanting to wait on hold for that long but it's possible that would have been the most expedient route at that time than a continued back and forth messaging. Some companies do a call back method instead where when you call and you can choose to be called back rather than wait on hold. It's not always feasible for a company to implement that but I do know that is an option elsewhere.

I'm sorry you're having this big 'ole mess with your order though :( :(
This sort of situation isnt the same as someone returning an order. I'd guess that if a similar thing happened with JCP I'd be able to quickly get someone to understand the difference and figure out a way to reinstate the rewards or send a gift card for the $30 difference.

OP--if you actually had tracking that left the facility, it may still arrive. In April/ May I had a Priority package take a month to arrive and that was before things really got bad. Also, UPS deliveries seem to be affected here now in addition to USPS deliveries. Hopefully it will show up.

I also wonder if ShopDisney just thinks you are lying about not receiving the package since it shows as shipped on their end. I had an issue with a Belk partial order. After two months of calling every few days and getting promises on a newly sent item I finally figured out that the shipping weight on the package was about 50% larger than what I actually received based on a comment one CS made. Turns out for their system when they load the boxes they tick off the items inside and that auto assigns a weight. The guy loading the box that day must not have actually counted the items, just looked at the order. The CS all assumed I was lying to them because the box that was delivered was the "correct" weight. Once I figured this out I contacted CS offered to send a photo of the box they sent with the contents to prove that there was no way the missing items could have been included. At that point I was transferred to a supervisor and I guess no one would go through that much trouble for a couple of free sheet sets so she just plain believed me without needing the photo. Prior to that I had begged, demanded and just asked nicely to speak to a supervisor. Sometimes the reps refused, other times I would mysteriously be cut off after being on hold for awhile.

I'd guess that if a similar thing happened with JCP I'd be able to quickly get someone to understand the difference and figure out a way to reinstate the rewards or send a gift card for the $30 difference.
It's not about understanding. I feel like that's assuming someone is too dense to figure out what the issue is. It's not normally that. It usually comes down to store policy. I worked in retail for 6+ years and call center (for an insurance company) for 4+ years. Sure there are employees who just don't get it but many of them do, their hands are just tied. The reason I brought up other stores is because their policies vary with respects to reward certificates meaning once used (no matter the reason) can you get it back if something happens or is it forfeit. You'll notice wording like "surrender reward certificate", etc. or if online the computer system recognizes that a code has already been used.

Also to make note in your above comment you said "figure out a way to reinstate the rewards or send a gift card for the $30 difference" that right there is a big reason why many companies have had to tighten their policies. Don't demand nor expect here (and I'm speaking generalities here). I really don't know exactly what the OP used for the $30 so I can't say whether or not they are owed the $30 back in some fashion. That's exactly why I asked about the wording on the gift certificate said and advised the OP that they really need to have shopDisney explain if they are able to get the certificate back or not. As far as what they were actually charged on their payment methods they were returned exactly what they paid. Their issue now lies in are they able to get the $30 in certificates back or not. If they are owed it I hope they can get it back and if they are not owed it either that's the end of it or Disney will do the all too common "one-time exception" which would be lovely for the OP :)

Disney has okay customer service. At one point in time, I thought it was excellent. It’s not anymore. Lots of alternatives with far better customer service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter