Should churches change security in wake of recent events?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The cost alone would be a burden on many churches.
I totally understand that. I just don't think those who can afford guards &/or metal detectors should be considered unwelcoming. It's hard for me to imagine that a lot of people who meant no harm to anyone would feel that way.

I'm not a regular church goer, but the few times I do go, I am pretty much constantly thinking about this possibility. Makes me even less inclined to attend.

The only thing to really do here is just tune out this kind of news, because nothing is ever going to change, and really it will probably just get worse. It's just another thing, just like flu, pneumonia, brain eating amoebas are all going to kill a certain number of people each year, so are random mass shootings. It's the new normal. This will probably not even be the top story in a day or two. Yeah, I tend to avoid crowded places (other than Disney), but that's really how my personality is anyway, not really because of the shooting phenomenon.

And what exactly do you mean by gun control?
In the US it isn't a simple don't allow guns, not sure if you realize that not being an American. I would love to hear what you think gun control entails.

Maybe check out what other countries like Australia have done in regards to this same issue. Or I don't know. Do something! Anything. Has a single thing been done since Sandy Hook?

Maybe check out what other countries like Australia have done in regards to this same issue. Or I don't know. Do something! Anything. Has a single thing been done since Sandy Hook?

It isn't just a gun issue though, it is a society issue. Mass shootings happen here, but people are being killed by guns every day. That doesn't do anything for the gun control argument because they are already criminals, making new laws aren't going to matter to them.
And yes a single thing has been done since Sandy Hook, at least in my state, and others too.

all countries have their crime and issues, but America is the only one which has these type of mass shootings on a regular basis.

while I love my annual visits to USA and Disneyland, there is always the worry that I could be shot when walking down the street, or the the guy ahead of me in target could just pull out a gun if he has an issue with the cashier or that I go to a cinema , church, show, event or even just on the pier at Santa Monica and someone will start shooting. I dont have that fear in Ireland, UK or any other European country.

I'm not sure if we can or should do something, but I at least wish we could talk about it in this country without everyone moving to predetermined political sides.

People reference that there is risk in every day life - for example car accidents. This is very true, so currently car makers are constantly trying to increase the safety of the vehicles with air bags etc. - seat belt use has become mandatory over the last few decades. Does it mean people don't die in car accidents? No, but it has helped reduce them.

So can't we at least talk about doing something to help reduce some of the problems? Nothing will eliminate all gun deaths of course, and there is always risk in life, but we try to mitigate risk in other areas, I'm frustrated that we can't discuss eliminating risk in this area because it becomes too political.

This, exactly. I don't think there's anything we can do to eliminate all risk, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have conversations about the ways we can reduce it. And it is a shame that the current climate is so devoid of willingness to see the grey areas that the conversation can't even happen without devolving into a ridiculous dance of the red herrings between a total ban and no restrictions whatsoever.

As far as metal detectors, my husband just told me that FL is a concealed carry state and that churches are not exempt - which means that they could not stop someone from bringing in a gun. So even putting up a metal detector wouldn't work. You would know who had guns but you wouldn't be allowed to stop them from coming in.

News is coming out about the shooter. Authorities have preliminarily identified him as a white male in his mid 20s, from outside San Antonio. ABC says the suspect recently displayed an AR-15 style-looking gun on social media. And a LinkedIn account indicates he may have had a military background.

I dont know what the solution would be, but gun control is only one small piece of a systemic puzzle.

If there were not access to guns, there would be other methods to terrorize people. Guns are one, easy tool.

Many truck attacks abroad and bomb explosions,etc. There are problems most anywhere.

Mental health is an area that more could be done.

As one citizen of the US, I do not have a lot to contribute to the solution, especially posting on a message board.

Do something! Anything!

I think what we should do is all start GETTING ALONG. There's a lot of ANGER out there right now.

And not just with these large scale events. People kill other people every day because they're angry about something.

Maybe we should start there.

Why should we as Americans cast shade on citizens of a different country because they are observant and note that we have a problem we seem unable to solve?
Me? I'd be fine if Martians fixed it but not the ones from "Mars Attacks!", thank you kindly.
Canada has had its share of problems lately, too.

The whole WORLD has had its share of problems lately.

Nobody is immune.

Shooter is Devon Patrick Kelly, age 26. Church members say he was an ex marine known to the congregation and a recent convert to Islam. A "manifesto" he wrote is now appearing in social media.

s_topTEMP425x425-8967.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s hard to apply such policies in a country whose “Right to Bear Arms” has such a huge place in our history and culture.

I don’t deny that we need to do something, but it’s not as easy as just cracking down on the laws... I think if it was it would have been done by now(or at least be on the table).

I dont know what the solution would be, but gun control is only one small piece of a systemic puzzle.

If there were not access to guns, there would be other methods to terrorize people. Guns are one, easy tool.

Many truck attacks abroad and bomb explosions,etc. There are problems most anywhere.

Mental health is an area that more could be done.

As one citizen of the US, I do not have a lot to contribute to the solution, especially posting on a message board.

I don't think we're allowed to talk about it too much on this board. But I think that while the "accepted political sides" out there are on the extremes, I think a lot of everyday ordinary citizens are probably much more in the middle. And I wish that people would keep talking and that if enough of us in the middle started getting our opinions out there, that maybe politicians would actually start to listen. (pipe dream I know) I feel like a grassroots movement of people who can see the grey area, who can admit that there are many many pieces to this puzzle and that doing something and eliminating some deaths is better that throwing our hands up and saying there's nothing we can do since it won't stop every crazy guy. I feel like that is our only chance at making a difference right now.

A bit of an offshoot, but churches here have a new problem. Traditionally your average church would be open for anyone to walk in on and pray within, but now most lock their doors for much of the day to keep the silverware and gold from being stolen. Stained glass windows have wired mesh over them to stop hooligans from breaking them with rocks. Some even have CCTV cameras to fight against people nicking the lead off their roofs.

Sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter