Sicily 2023

Grifdog22

Barking Mad!
We are going on the adults only October 5-12 trip. I haven't seen or heard really from anyone who is going on this trip, new for 2023. We booked this a long time ago it seems - anyone else going? Chime in and share your details. We have a pre-day we booked with the opening hotel on our own (a lot cheaper) but only after we were able to get ABD in writing to agree to still offer the airport transfer.

Our trip is the last one on the schedule - and we are full with 40 (OMG). Last week we were the only trip sold out. Now the trip before us is marked for waiting list. Other dates are actually on sale in a discounted bundle right now. We'll know in a few weeks if these 10 trips were the opening and swan song for this location.

Our trip is the last one on the schedule - and we are full with 40 (OMG). Last week we were the only trip sold out. Now the trip before us is marked for waiting list. Other dates are actually on sale in a discounted bundle right now. We'll know in a few weeks if these 10 trips were the opening and swan song for this location.
Bummer - wanted to try this one. Can’t wait to hear about your trip though!

I also was very interested in this one and almost booked it... I feel it would be shortsighted for them to drop it after one try. Airfare to Europe is coming down but was very high earlier and many people cancelled their overseas trips. The DCL ship in Europe this year has also had a ton of specials and deals to try to inflate its numbers. Next year would almost certainly be better (unless something ELSE happens recession or politically, knock on wood...).

The itinerary looks amazing. I hope they keep it, would love to try another year!

Our trip is no longer listed as full, even after a waitlist.

Our trip is no longer listed as full, even after a waitlist.
Have you checked with ABD to see how many are on your trip now? The price is still pretty high compared to other departures, so it can't be that low.

Sayhello

We are three weeks out from departure - the last ABD trip for 2023 to Sicily for the first year of this trek. I haven't been able to find anything from anyone who has been on the trip. If anyone knows someone who took the ABD Sicily trip this year we would appreciate any comments that they can share. We could use something upbeat and positive. We just went over our preliminary packing and appear good to go. Last count we are down to 34 adults only.

We are three weeks out from departure - the last ABD trip for 2023 to Sicily for the first year of this trek. I haven't been able to find anything from anyone who has been on the trip. If anyone knows someone who took the ABD Sicily trip this year we would appreciate any comments that they can share. We could use something upbeat and positive. We just went over our preliminary packing and appear good to go. Last count we are down to 34 adults only.
I don't know anyone who's been on the trip, except for Dusty Atha, who was one of the Adventure Guides for this trip. He posted a lot, and really seemed to love Sicily and the itinerary. I've asked him if he has any thoughts I can pass on to you. I'll let you know as soon as I hear back from him! ❤️❤️❤️

Sayhello

I don't know anyone who's been on the trip, except for Dusty Atha, who was one of the Adventure Guides for this trip. He posted a lot, and really seemed to love Sicily and the itinerary. I've asked him if he has any thoughts I can pass on to you. I'll let you know as soon as I hear back from him! ❤️❤️❤️

Sayhello
Thank you!

I only saw one report on Facebook, and unfortunately they were there over the heat wave which caused many problems for them. It was not a good experience at 100 degrees as a ton of things are outside or with little A/C, but you shouldn't have the same struggles.

Thank you!

Here's his reply:
"Oh no!!!! I totally understand about the ITA thing. Lord. That airline about killed me this season. They are the only ones that Disney uses that go to the island. And they are in a flight with delta so …. I didn’t get a single airline mile this year! 🤬🤬🤬 anyway- the trip is wonderful! The guests have given many rave reviews of it. The two local adventure guides are both marvelous and trained by me:-) all the local experts are just Absolutely Fabulous too! I trained them as well. The hotels are marvelous. The local experiences are just awesome and everyone is always just surprised at how much they love it. Hope that helps."

Sounds like once you get there, you're in for a fabulous time!! I'll just keep good thoughts the flights aren't *too* bad!!!

Sayhello

Here's his reply:

Sounds like once you get there, you're in for a fabulous time!! I'll just keep good thoughts the flights aren't *too* bad!!!

Sayhello
Thank you so much for this! IF we get there in one piece before the trip is over, it sounds great! Regrettably, he seems to confirm all the horrible ITA reviews posted on social media. And yes, ABD travel services steered us to this airline. Okay, we are ready to rumble with ITA and enjoy Sicily. Tobi - thank you again for the outreach - as always, you are an amazing and wonderful person.

Thank you so much for this! IF we get there in one piece before the trip is over, it sounds great! Regrettably, he seems to confirm all the horrible ITA reviews posted on social media. And yes, ABD travel services steered us to this airline. Okay, we are ready to rumble with ITA and enjoy Sicily. Tobi - thank you again for the outreach - as always, you are an amazing and wonderful person.
I was glad to do it! And you really *are* going to make me blush! ❤️

Sayhello

Our Alitalia flight at the end of our ABD Italy trip was the worst flight I've ever been on.

Venice to Rome was no problem. Then on the Rome -> US flight, when we were somewhere around the UK, the pilot announced that the aircraft had an electrical problem. So we turned around to return to Rome.

This is the only time I've seen a fuel dump. The passengers were nervous seeing stuff spraying from the wingtips. I had to explain what was happening and why not to worry.

So we landed in Rome. Waited several hours for a new aircraft. Then got on that and made it to the US. Of course my connection in the US was blown so we had to scramble to book a hotel. We were very grumpy (and sleepy and dopey).

The nice thing is that European laws meant we were entitled to compensation, which we received after a while. ABD even did something for us too, even though this had nothing to do with ABD.

In Italy, passengers clap after the aircraft lands. Maybe they are celebrating a safe arrival...

Found a comment..! :)

"this was my tenth ABD and easily made my top three favorites. The pace is fast…not a lot of free time. All four of the hotels are fabulous and well located. The food was terrific (except for the pasta with sardines and anchovies). Have a feeling this my be optional in the future ABDs…haha. I loved it all but a few stand outs included the ape taxi tour around Palermo, the valley of the temples (I could see the Concordia Temple from the little patio outside my room, and seeing a snow capped Mt Etna. The Guides are superlative too. I hope this is helpful."

We are on the trip right before you! Might be too close to your departure but let me know if there is anything specific you want to know.

Good luck with your flights. It was a chore to figure this part out. We are flying into Rome on Lufthansa, overnighting at the airport Hilton and ITA the next day. Still arriving a day early! Back the same way.

Found a comment..! :)

"this was my tenth ABD and easily made my top three favorites. The pace is fast…not a lot of free time. All four of the hotels are fabulous and well located. The food was terrific (except for the pasta with sardines and anchovies). Have a feeling this my be optional in the future ABDs…haha. I loved it all but a few stand outs included the ape taxi tour around Palermo, the valley of the temples (I could see the Concordia Temple from the little patio outside my room, and seeing a snow capped Mt Etna. The Guides are superlative too. I hope this is helpful."
Thank you so much for this! Just what I was hoping to hear. And I happen to love sardines and anchovies, as well as olives in all their myriad forms. Really appreciate this.

We are on the trip right before you! Might be too close to your departure but let me know if there is anything specific you want to know.

Good luck with your flights. It was a chore to figure this part out. We are flying into Rome on Lufthansa, overnighting at the airport Hilton and ITA the next day. Still arriving a day early! Back the same way.
Thank you! I would really like to hear about the evening where we have dinner on our own but also a sunset cruise, and not too close to the hotel. How does the timing work out? We haven't made dinner reservations for that night as we have no idea whether to eat a very early or very late dinner!

How far up Mt. Aetna do you go? Will we need hiking boots? They are not on the packing list, but we really needed them in New Zealand and they were also not on the list for that trip either. THANK YOU!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter