SIM card for Canadians with unlocked phones?

MarcJ55

Earning My Ears
If I have an unlocked phone, how easy is it to buy a sim card for data in the US? Can I just walk into a store and buy, say 5gb of data? I don't have a US address. I have only ever used roaming so I'm not sure of the process.

You can, but it is a lot of hassle. Years ago I used to buy "burner" phones every trip down, but that takes a trip to a cell phone store, hassles with Canadian billing addresses, etc, etc. One trip I never got my Canadian LD dialing setup, which is one big reason I got the phone. If you don't keep the account up to date, you have to buy another SIM (or phone) on your next trip; more hassles.

Much better option is to get a SIM card from ROAM Mobility. They are a Vancouver company that sells SIMS for the T-Mobile network to Canadians. https://roammobility.com/ I used this for a couple of years before Rogers came out with Roam like Home and it is still a good option if your carrier still doesn't have reasonable US Roaming plans. It works well in the Disney area (T-M has fairly good coverage in the area). To keep ROAM active, you only have to buy 1 day per year.

If you are on Rogers, consider just switching to a Share Everything with RLH. It is basically the same prices as ROAM Mobility, but you don't have to swap any SIMS, and your Canadian phone number works just fine down there. It also roams across both T-M and ATT, so your coverage will improve. I have a 10 GB data plan, so plenty for usage while down there. I understand from DSis that Bell is getting some better roaming plans as well, but it still sounds like she is paying more for roaming than I am on Rogers.

I’ve used Roam as well in the past and it worked great for that trip. Now I use the Telus Roaming because I would prefer to use the data I already have on my plan and keep my phone number.

I'm on Virgin (no RLH-type package) so I use Roam Mobility. Works great for me. There are better options if you're in the US for a week, but if you're like me and are in Florida for a day or two before a cruise, it's perfect, and also useful if you have a stop in Puerto Rico or the USVI.

I'm another Roam Mobility lover...
  • no risk of unwanted roaming charges
  • I consume more data when travelling
  • Roam Mobility allows you to call a Canadian number... home or someone in your group using a US pass.
  • Roam Mobility is actually a Canadian company (Vancouver) that is reselling the T Mobile coverage
  • check out the 2 packs where there's a little SIM savings for dual phones
BTW.... also consider US passes from your local phone provider. This way people can still reach you with your regular number.

If you are travelling in a group. It's ideal to have one phone on Roam Mobility for heavy users. But the second phone connected to a Canadian provider for contact from home. The dual provider setup also means if you visit places with poor Tmobile coverage.... the Canadian provider phone will switch to ATT or another network for best reception.

Do pay attention to the coverage map.... Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and Jellystone do not have coverage if you are travelling there.

Last edited:
I just started using KnowRoaming on and off for the last 6 months. Haven't used it in Orlando yet but I fly to Boston quite frequently and have used it successfully there. It is very similar to Roam Mobility - the package options are different so I'd go with the provider that suits you best.

Only weird thing with KnowRoaming is that it charges you in USD.

I have used this with an iPhone 5 and 7 and works fine on both.

ETA: WhatsApp usage is free (i.e. does not count towards the data) on KnowRoaming so we use this a lot to make calls to family, text, etc

Another ROAM user chiming in. We bought our SIM cards a few years ago and have used them a half dozen times with no issue.

Great info. Thanks everyone. I'm looking into those options for our trip in the spring.

I've been using Roam Mobility for 4 years now. We are going to Disney in March and have already purchased our plan - they have a "double the data" promotion going on right now, but you better act soon - that offer I believe ends on Jan 2.

Roam Mobility actually makes use of the T-Mobile network. The bonus of dealing with Roam Mobility vs T-Mobile is that Roam Mobility allow unlimited calling to CANADA as well as the USA. The T-Mobile plan does not allow "international" calls, which I'm guessing would also mean Canada. I've always liked Roam Mobility because it allows us to call home to our family in Canada and it is priced in Canadian $.

Roam Mobility actually makes use of the T-Mobile network. The bonus of dealing with Roam Mobility vs T-Mobile is that Roam Mobility allow unlimited calling to CANADA as well as the USA. The T-Mobile plan does not allow "international" calls, which I'm guessing would also mean Canada. I've always liked Roam Mobility because it allows us to call home to our family in Canada and it is priced in Canadian $.
true, but I found these days people pay more attention to data rather than voice minutes. Many apps (ie Fongo) can be used to call free. I will be using Telus 7CAD/day travel plan though, that gives us the flexibility to pay only/when need it

Also, this is a bit concerning:
Know before you go
For security purposes, Tourist Kits must be shipped to U.S. addresses. We suggest asking friends, family or hotel management to use their address.

To keep information secure, only U.S. credit cards can be used to purchase the kit. Ask friends and family to help you, or purchase a U.S. MasterCard® or Visa® gift card.

So you can't get it until you are there, and you can't use a Canadian Visa or Mastercard. What a hassle. ROAM certainly makes all this easier!

You can purchase Roam Mobility at your local Canadian London Drugs, Staples, some computer stores, airports and some southbound border duty free shops.

Also, this is a bit concerning:
Know before you go
For security purposes, Tourist Kits must be shipped to U.S. addresses. We suggest asking friends, family or hotel management to use their address.

To keep information secure, only U.S. credit cards can be used to purchase the kit. Ask friends and family to help you, or purchase a U.S. MasterCard® or Visa® gift card.

So you can't get it until you are there, and you can't use a Canadian Visa or Mastercard. What a hassle. ROAM certainly makes all this easier!
It does sound like a hassle. My presumption is that T-Mobile has somehow been burned in the past by international (not necessarily Canadian) credit cards, because I can't imagine a company limiting themselves like that without reason.

Used to go with Roam Mobility exclusively, but I found their data speed to be spotty in certain parts of Orlando (particularly in the last couple of years). Of course, this was only an issue because I needed reliably fast data for work. Tried H2O on our recent trip to the world, and never once had an issue. Plus, for longer trips (2.5 weeks), h2O pricing was much more reasonable.

We order sim cards off Ebay for AT&T then program them before we leave home so that we have a US number. AT&T has a $2 a day plan where if you use the phone you pay $2. This includes unlimited texting and unlimited calls in the US and unlimited calls from Canada. You can add a long distance package for $5 and/or you can add data. Very easy to do and you don't need a US address, it can all be done online.

I'm on Virgin (no RLH-type package) so I use Roam Mobility. Works great for me. There are better options if you're in the US for a week, but if you're like me and are in Florida for a day or two before a cruise, it's perfect, and also useful if you have a stop in Puerto Rico or the USVI.
Virgin Mobile now has an out of country package similar to Rogers. I believe it's called Roam Sweet Roam.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter