Sister Wives

I agree with all of this......until Robyn came along. Robyn coming along shook things up. Meri divorcing Kody to legally marry Robyn shook things up.

I do think Meri is the love of Kody's life. Janelle is a business deal. Christine was a just because thing. Maybe she fit into the whole "have a lot of kids and be a good sister wife" type deal. He was never attracted to her but I think she makes him laugh and is a good friend. Christine is madly in love with Kody though. Robyn is Kody's ego boost. She needs him. He loves that.

Yes! This exactly. Meri was the one who set up Kody and Robyn. I don't think she expected to be jealous of them. But when it turned out that Kody and Robyn fell in love and had a genuine bond it caused issues with Meri at the same time as she was experiencing empty nest syndrome.

I agree. Although at this point I am sort of curious to know who paid for the house. I don't think they're hurting for cash, but since the show could go away tomorrow it seems like they should be more careful than to buy a B&B on a whim.

it's been reported that this will be the last season of the show-and I can't imagine they make much from the closet or Janelle's newest business venture so the adults may have to get traditional jobs to make ends meet (they just don't strike me as the type to have saved much over the run of the show-they like to have parties at the drop of a hat, paid for a couple of fairly costly weddings, they bought those new homes and furnishings-and don't they still own the old Utah home that holds allot of their belongings so that makes 6 mortgages if you count the b&b?).

On the Ysabel story, Christine made a comment about polygamists being hesitant to take their kids to the hospital for fear of questions about dad. I could see this a few decades ago, but how is this any different from a single parent taking their child to the hospital?

I can see where being a polygamist would complicate the health insurance equation though. I guess each wife has to carry a policy on the exchanges? And Cody can be on with Robyn since they're officially married.

I have to wonder what the deal is on insurance-either they didn't have it or it had some big co-pays or deductibles back a couple of years ago b/c robyn's house had a lien on it due to them not paying hospital bills.

for all of the family's griping about wanting polygamy to be legalized it occurs to me that they probably benefit more from it not being-they can do 4 tax returns vs. 1 with just the standard marital deduction, they've done multiple bankruptcies by virtue of only one being married to kody at a time, and they likely score BIG TIME on college financial aid where it's only 2 parent's income being counted but kody can count ALL the minor kids as his dependants. if polygamy was legalized and taxes, financial aide and other programs were tweeked to count all the adult's income I have to wonder if many of these families would choose to take the legal steps to make their situation formalized.

I have to wonder what the deal is on insurance-either they didn't have it or it had some big co-pays or deductibles back a couple of years ago b/c robyn's house had a lien on it due to them not paying hospital bills.

for all of the family's griping about wanting polygamy to be legalized it occurs to me that they probably benefit more from it not being-they can do 4 tax returns vs. 1 with just the standard marital deduction, they've done multiple bankruptcies by virtue of only one being married to kody at a time, and they likely score BIG TIME on college financial aid where it's only 2 parent's income being counted but kody can count ALL the minor kids as his dependants. if polygamy was legalized and taxes, financial aide and other programs were tweeked to count all the adult's income I have to wonder if many of these families would choose to take the legal steps to make their situation formalized.
I wonder where the big hospital bills came from that put Robyn's home on the time. I'm thinking she had home births.

I have a different take on Meri and Kody.

Years ago when they published the book it was evident to me that Meri was THE wife. Kody and Meri married young and were very much in love. Once Janelle came along she spent most evenings in her room while Meri and Kody cuddled on the couch. Meri would travel with Kody when he went for business and Janelle would be left behind.

Janelle has always said her and Kody are more friends than anything and he enjoys talking business with her.
Christine was married because she was easy and gullible and Meri approved of her. Kody was never attracted to her.

It has been said that Kody likes to go to Meri's house as it's quiet and kid free.

All the stuff about the fertility treatments a few seasons ago and the latest drama is made up for the camera. They know they need some drama to keep people watching.
Meri is the wife who he will retire with. They have created a family together but she is still the alpha wife.

I do think they hit a rough patch in recent years but not as dramatic as they are making it out to be. Meri was probably going thru a empty nest phase/depression and he had difficulty handling it. But overall I think they are still "married".

ETA - I don't think its odd in the least that they bought the B&B. They have ran all sorts of businesses. They know they need investments for when the show income is gone.
It the grand scheme of things its not that expensive and provides revenue.

They use to own a food storage company, sell the protein shake, dabbled in real estate, the jewelry business, the leggings, the exercise thingy of Janelle's.
Owning property is a safe investment especially since they may attract fans as guests while the show is still on.

Wow, totally don't see their relationship the way that you do. He acts like he despises her. I don't see him settling into retirement with her at all. She embarrassed him and the family with her strange catfishing incident. He seems to have turned his back on her and is focusing a whole lot on Robin. I was thinking today how strange his collection of women is. I wonder what about them actually attracted him. I like the other polygamy family show better, My Five Wives, or whatever it was called. They seemed less strange than the Brown clan.

As for an investment in the bed and breakfast, I do think that is a monetary stretch. It is another mortgage payment and maintenance on yet another property is not going to be cheap. I wonder if she ended up paying for it herself.

if Meri was to leave I bet Maddie or mykelti would buy/move into Meri's house. I don't see them selling to an outsider and I don't think an outsider would want to live in the middle of that new mess. Who know maybe Cody has a new wife in mind.

Robyn is just always thinking to say the right thing in the interview. I use to like her but no so much now. Janelle , once the grandbaby arrives I think she will be more checked out. Times are changing, people are changing and relationships are changing.Everything is changing except for Codys outdated hair style!

:faint: I just looked at that scoliosis 'boot camp' they went to-$500-$700 per day NOT INCLUDING your lodging, travel, meals, equipment for home use, recommended follow up care.....dang, that would add up to a hefty chunk of change quick!

I knew they were crackpots & neglectful parents when Mykelti got buckled off the horse, hurt her back, and they took her straight to a chiropractor instead of the ER. Now, they're taking Ysabel to a chiropractor's boot camp. :sad2:

if Meri was to leave I bet Maddie or mykelti would buy/move into Meri's house. I don't see them selling to an outsider and I don't think an outsider would want to live in the middle of that new mess. Who know maybe Cody has a new wife in mind.

Robyn is just always thinking to say the right thing in the interview. I use to like her but no so much now. Janelle , once the grandbaby arrives I think she will be more checked out. Times are changing, people are changing and relationships are changing.Everything is changing except for Codys outdated hair style!
How would any of the Jr. Browns be able to afford that house? Caleb was probably working before, but have they mentioned a job since they moved to LV? Even if they could afford a home, I can't imagine they could afford that one.

I agree though that times are changing. I can totally see Janelle checking out when that baby arrives.

It was amusing to hear Kody talking about marriage and meeting "petty needs" of a wife. He's apparently an expert on monogamy now too since he knows no monogamous man would be doing that.

I knew they were crackpots & neglectful parents when Mykelti got buckled off the horse, hurt her back, and they took her straight to a chiropractor instead of the ER. Now, they're taking Ysabel to a chiropractor's boot camp. :sad2:
Remember, they're polygamists and shun traditional medicine for fear of being found out.

Oops, that ship already sailed.

How would any of the Jr. Browns be able to afford that house? Caleb was probably working before, but have they mentioned a job since they moved to LV? Even if they could afford a home, I can't imagine they could afford that one.

yeah, i'm kind of confused about their living situation. when they moved back they said it had to do with his health scare, her pregnancy (wanting more family for support) and I THOUGHT to be able to afford to finish college but it doesn't look like they are attending (and I thought when she quit college to marry caleb she said she had no plans to go back), and I would think it would cost them more to change colleges b/c they would have to pay out of state tuition (most states seem to require 2 years of residency for in state rates) and may have to retake classes if Nevada doesn't accept all their units for transfer. I think he worked in something related to mining-is there any kind of employment demand for that in vegas?

I agree though that times are changing. I can totally see Janelle checking out when that baby arrives.

It was amusing to hear Kody talking about marriage and meeting "petty needs" of a wife. He's apparently an expert on monogamy now too since he knows no monogamous man would be doing that.
I think they would figure out how to make it work. I doubt they will let an outsider move in

When Kody and Meri were with the therapist it really felt like Meri wanted to fix their relationship but Kody had already moved on. He clearly isn't interested. Sad really because he has 3 other wives to go to but Meri is on her own. She's kind of stuck unless she takes the initiative and moves on without him.

I think both Meri and Janelle are on their way out the door. Christine couldn't be drug off by a wild horses and Robin and is Kody true love

I don't think Robyn is Kody's true love. I think he lusts after her. She's the new pretty young hot thing he gets to sleep with. I think Robyn is head over heels for Kody and he loves that.

I've always felt that Meri was "the" wife up until the catfish scandal. I don't think she had to share his true affection until Robyn, and even then Kody still preferred her, but she didn't like sharing. I think the catfishing deal was on purpose, as a way to give Kody a taste of his own medicine. (Harking back to their anniversary dinner convo years back where she asked him how he would feel if she was married to multiple men. Kody about lost it.) I'm guessing she intended just to rattle his cage and make him jealous, and then got sucked in to the catfish deal. Once that blew up and became super public, Kody was emasculated and ticked off and resents her to this day.

I felt so bad for Maddy, that poor girl! My longest labor was 6 hours, that child must have just been exhausted. Hopefully she had lots of help and was able to rest for at least a few days.
As far as Meri Wants to Buy a House, wow Kody really was a jerk. I get his reasoning, but jeez - he didn't have to be so careless of her feelings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter