Sister Wives

Exactly. Utah put legislation in place that included criminalizing purported marriages.

Most, but not all, anti-polygamy laws were put in place before things like state IDs and social security numbers. Back when records were kept manually and mostly locally, people could, and did “legally” marry more than one person. Of course if they were caught, subsequent marriages would be annulled or invalidated, but it did happen. It still can technically but it’s a lot harder.
Way back in the 70s my mom ended up married to a guy who was already married. She had no idea. From the little I know about it (she acts like it never happened) it wasn’t hard for him to pull off.

I think they said Utah also considers 'purporting' plural marriage to be illegal.

Right. They explained it on the show once. You can be legally married to one person and hang out and have kids with another (or others). That’s not illegal in Utah. As soon as you “purport” or refer to the other person (or people) as your spouse(s), it becomes illegal. Kody refuses to refer to them as anything but his wives, so he is breaking the law.

Here’s a question: Since Kody and Meri are legally divorced, did they have a spiritual ceremony to get “remarried?” Are they married in any form now? Although I’m sure neither really cares at this point!

Right. They explained it on the show once. You can be legally married to one person and hang out and have kids with another (or others). That’s not illegal in Utah. As soon as you “purport” or refer to the other person (or people) as your spouse(s), it becomes illegal. Kody refuses to refer to them as anything but his wives, so he is breaking the law.

Here’s a question: Since Kody and Meri are legally divorced, did they have a spiritual ceremony to get “remarried?” Are they married in any form now? Although I’m sure neither really cares at this point!
In general when people of the LDS faith get married in the temple the marriage is both legal and spiritual. Some get legally married and then go to the temple and get spiritually married later. Some just go right to a temple marriage. My guess, since Kody and Meri were traditional Mormons in the beginning they probably did one of those two scenarios. Spiritual divorces are hard to come by and not usually granted to a woman. If they truly believe in their faith then they’re pretty much stuck with each other in the afterlife. I don’t know that their particular brand of FLDS has temples but I do remember them talking about the spiritual ceremony. Big, splashy weddings like he and Robyn had are next to zero in those type of groups (which helped fuel the jealousy among the wives because they didn’t get that) and it’s likely they had a spiritual ceremony before that.

In general when people of the LDS faith get married in the temple the marriage is both legal and spiritual. Some get legally married and then go to the temple and get spiritually married later. Some just go right to a temple marriage. My guess, since Kody and Meri were traditional Mormons in the beginning they probably did one of those two scenarios. Spiritual divorces are hard to come by and not usually granted to a woman. If they truly believe in their faith then they’re pretty much stuck with each other in the afterlife. I don’t know that their particular brand of FLDS has temples but I do remember them talking about the spiritual ceremony. Big, splashy weddings like he and Robyn had are next to zero in those type of groups (which helped fuel the jealousy among the wives because they didn’t get that) and it’s likely they had a spiritual ceremony before that.

They are not FLDS but AUB.

I think the only reason Robyn got a big wedding is filming.

I could not remember the name of their branch. They are still fundamentalist and an offshoot of the LDS Church. An offshoot of an offshoot if you will.

I think Robyn got the big wedding because she’s Robyn. She’s the high maintenance wife.

I could not remember the name of their branch. They are still fundamentalist and an offshoot of the LDS Church. An offshoot of an offshoot if you will.

I think Robyn got the big wedding because she’s Robyn. She’s the high maintenance wife.
The only one that ISN'T high maintenance (each in their own ways) is Janelle. Man, she's so chill she's practically frozen. In all the years I don't remember her ever getting after Kody for anything and she's always so self-possessed and the voice of reason. :lovestruc I did LOVE it though in the last episode where she explained how she works at manipulating the other wives - "politicking" she called it.

The only one that ISN'T high maintenance (each in their own ways) is Janelle. Man, she's so chill she's practically frozen. In all the years I don't remember her ever getting after Kody for anything and she's always so self-possessed and the voice of reason. :lovestruc I did LOVE it though in the last episode where she explained how she works at manipulating the other wives - "politicking" she called it.
True. I guess I meant more in a material way. If you go back to the first episodes the wives all dress very plain, little to no make up or jewelry, basic haircuts etc. while she dressed a little more upscale (when it comes to the way they dress in that region) always wore make up, did her hair, nice jewelry. She started out with a nice rock, I don’t think they did, kwim?

I think she is the only wife that wanted the big house too.

i have to wonder if the reason janelle seems so together and above all the craziness is b/c she's the only one who has ever walked away with her children from the situation and successfully self supported to the extent that she was sending money to help the others get by. she knows she's capable of being independent of the family which has to provide her with a level of self confidence that the other 3 wives have never experienced.

I don't think one has anything to do with the other. The legal divorce didn't affect their spiritual marriage in any way.

I do recall strife over the honeymoon. Cody said the other wives all came into the family before Logan was born and Robyn needed something special to mark her joining the family so she got a 10 day honeymoon in San Diego while the other wives got a few days on a road trip. I remember Janelle in particular having an issue with that.
Meri had a larger, more traditional wedding too.

I do recall strife over the honeymoon. Cody said the other wives all came into the family before Logan was born and Robyn needed something special to mark her joining the family so she got a 10 day honeymoon in San Diego while the other wives got a few days on a road trip. I remember Janelle in particular having an issue with that.
Meri had a larger, more traditional wedding too.

All while they had her kids too.

I do think her big wedding and longer honeymoon were also for the show. Had it not been for the show it probably would’ve been quiet and low key.

Meri had a larger wedding.

Janelle and Christine's were small. I think Christine would have liked a bigger wedding.
By the time he married Robyn the show had started so I think TLC paid for/encouraged the larger wedding to boost ratings.

Meri had a larger wedding.

Janelle and Christine's were small. I think Christine would have liked a bigger wedding.
By the time he married Robyn the show had started so I think TLC paid for/encouraged the larger wedding to boost ratings.

It would be interesting to know how much production actually pays for. I wondered that with the kids' weddings too. My guess is TLC kicks in for at least some of the cost since having a film crew affects that. I bet there's plenty of negotiating that goes on regarding publicity for the venue too. Either way (or both) I imagine the weddings that have been featured on the show were more lavish than they would have been otherwise.

They saw the dates when they lived together in Lehi.

I think this is just drama for ratings. Scripted.
Eh... “Staged” is the word I think you’re looking for vs. ”scripted.” I think they blow things out of proportion but I don’t think production tells them what to say.

And I think they were a lot more comfortable with their relationships in Lehi before Robyn was in the picture. I know all of the wives were VERY upset that Kody kissed Robyn on a date before they were married, and I think after that was when a lot of them learned to not watch footage of the dates.

Eh... “Staged” is the word I think you’re looking for vs. ”scripted.” I think they blow things out of proportion but I don’t think production tells them what to say.

And I think they were a lot more comfortable with their relationships in Lehi before Robyn was in the picture. I know all of the wives were VERY upset that Kody kissed Robyn on a date before they were married, and I think after that was when a lot of them learned to not watch footage of the dates.

Yes you're right. Staged.

I know that they were is serious jeopardy of being cancelled and they negotiated to stay on but at a lower salary.
They know they have to have drama to keep from being cancelled.

I just find this show dwells so much on the same "drama" all season - Meri's wetbar, catfishing, new homes. It get tiresome.

The first season was so interesting as it was more of a documentary about their actual lives.

I think she is the only wife that wanted the big house too.
Yep, but I'd bet money that it wouldn't have taken much to get Robyn on board. Christine was the one that really hated it and it's my impression that Meri was holding back to play spoiler, regardless of which way the decision went.
It would be interesting to know how much production actually pays for. I wondered that with the kids' weddings too. My guess is TLC kicks in for at least some of the cost since having a film crew affects that. I bet there's plenty of negotiating that goes on regarding publicity for the venue too. Either way (or both) I imagine the weddings that have been featured on the show were more lavish than they would have been otherwise.
:laughing: ...and that life-sized upright elk groom's cake couldn't have been cheap.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter