Skip MK?

Nostalgia is definitely the main reason for me and my wife wanting to still go

If you and your wife like MK, but the kids don't, then it seems the best options are either to plan to park-hop or (if you feel parentally comfortable with it) splitting up for one day, with you and your wife taking MK, while the boys hit HS. I think 13 is a pretty normal age for independent theme-park roaming, and by 15 it's downright standard. I know I was hitting Disneyland with just a friend or two at that age, and that was long before cell phones could keep kids and parents connected at all times.

If you're uncomfortable with that, then park-hopping is still a fine option. If you and your wife will miss MK if you skip it, then that's reason enough to spend at least a morning there before giving the boys what they'd prefer.

Heading down in April with my wife and 2 teenage boys 13 & 15

doing 4 park days, well 5 with one day at universal

HS has always been our favorite park, and now with Galaxy’s edge will be by far our favorite. And will be the first time seeing it

MK has been their least favorite for about the last 7 years

think it’s a good idea just to skip MK and do 2 days at HS, or will the second day there be overkill
last 3 trips we skipped MK - it is just me and DH and our least fav - aside from Castle and photos (which with masks are killed) doesn't appeal to us, we loved going there at night with hoppers for a few rides/photos and fireworks. We did 1 HS day Monday and had a blast, didn't quite get it all in but we also hung out at baseline for 2 hours.

Mine are 11 and 13 and have started complaining about MK. They will certainly be taken out of my will and all my assets will be donated to Goodwill or the animal shelter, as they are more deserving.

But OP, have you considered maybe going to MK for dinner? Maybe make a reservation so you don't feel like you're just aimlessly walking around.

HS has always been our favorite park, and now with Galaxy’s edge will be by far our favorite. And will be the first time seeing it

think it’s a good idea just to skip MK and do 2 days at HS, or will the second day there be overkill
No. I’m sorry, but... Pirates!!!

I’m in the skip it or let Boys do HS alone while adults do MK. I’m assuming they have phones and have done Disney. It’s a great bubble in which to spread wings and practice independence.

If you are driving, it’s easy to do drop off and pickup at HS.

I would do what you and your family love. Seven years is a pretty long stretch to know MK is not your favorite. It sounds like you go often enough that you could catch MK on the next trip.

I would definitely skip MK. Of all the parks, MK brings down my mood the most. It's exhausting, crammed with people still even with old what's his virus floating around. It's just not always worth the hassle unless you can completely unhinge and use it as an exestensial "whatever happens, happens" experience. I certainly can't.
We were there 3 weeks ago and did all 3 Mountains and Mine Train before 9:30... all were walk-on excepting the 12 minute wait at Mine Train. The bottle neck at Small World was literally empty before 10:00 am. Park opening was at 9:00 but rides were running at 8:15. If you do it right you can avoid crowds and exhaustion. We left for a Geyser Point lunch after adding Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, and Country Bear Jamboree, all before noon.

Same issue with my 15 year old twins. My DW and I LOVE MK. Before they brought back park hopping, we had three day tickets and both kiddos voted down MK. I was heartbroken! Fortunately park hopping is back (although not what I'd like it to be) and we won't miss MK. That's my advice--park hop to MK. I wouldn't feel like I even went to WDW if I skipped MK!

We were there 3 weeks ago and did all 3 Mountains and Mine Train before 9:30... all were walk-on excepting the 12 minute wait at Mine Train. The bottle neck at Small World was literally empty before 10:00 am. Park opening was at 9:00 but rides were running at 8:15. If you do it right you can avoid crowds and exhaustion. We left for a Geyser Point lunch after adding Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, and Country Bear Jamboree, all before noon.
Now that sounds like a great day at MK. :)

I’m with your boys. Although there are a few individual things I love there, overall it is my least favorite U.S. park. I love DL so much & MK suffers by comparison for me.

I could never personally skip MK. :)

But I guess if you don't like it, you don't like it. It's your trip.

Hey, if they're not loving it, then skip it. They're at that age where MK is less appealing - they'll grow out of it. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter