Skip MK?

jjpdjr

Earning My Ears
Heading down in April with my wife and 2 teenage boys 13 & 15

doing 4 park days, well 5 with one day at universal

HS has always been our favorite park, and now with Galaxy’s edge will be by far our favorite. And will be the first time seeing it

MK has been their least favorite for about the last 7 years

think it’s a good idea just to skip MK and do 2 days at HS, or will the second day there be overkill

The primary reason we still do MK with our children, who also prefer HS, is for the nostalgia factor. If your boys have been less than thrilled for the last 7 years and, given the number of new things at HS, I agree that a second day at HS will work.

FWIW, we have 3 days at HS planned for our next trip and have already seen SWGE - it's amazing! Also, even though mine are now 20 and 22, they enjoyed slinky dog dash - just not as much as they enjoyed Rise of the Resistance. Enjoy.

What about getting Park Hoppers? We could never skip MK, even if it was just to pop in, walk around, maybe have a snack and ride Haunted Mansion :) But I do understand your dilemma, my boys are almost 12 and 14, and they too would now say that MK is their least favorite 😭

Can you do a half day at MK? You'd think they'd want to do Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Big Thunder, Mine Train, etc.

Without the shows at any of the parks, I don't know how you can make a full day out of HS. Unless the lines are that bad.....

I vote for hoppers.
We’re doing 2 days at HS for more chances of ROTR.
But I don’t expect we’ll be there past 1 or 2 each day.
Planning to hop to Epcot for afternoons/evenings.

I would definitely skip MK. Of all the parks, MK brings down my mood the most. It's exhausting, crammed with people still even with old what's his virus floating around. It's just not always worth the hassle unless you can completely unhinge and use it as an exestensial "whatever happens, happens" experience. I certainly can't.

I'm in the hopper crowd. MK isn't our fave either, but I do like to check in. I made reservations last night (yay we're heading to Disney World!!) and made sure we had one day reserved for the MK, with the knowledge that we can "hop" out and go somewhere else later in the day.

It seems like every few times we go, we have a new favorite park. The first few years we went it was DHS. This was before TS and SWGE. The next few years, Epcot was it. Then MK became our favorite. Even DS became our favorite place one year. Everyone is different, and I'm sure you will have fun no matter what, but for us, we are often surprised what the stand out of each trip will be.

We were done with HS by, I don't know, 2 or 3pm? That includes riding MMRR, SDD, Aliens, MFSR & RotR and a sit down meal at SciFi for our party of 8. I don't think we could stretch that park out to two days, but we aren't huge star wars fans, so we didn't linger in the land for very long.

The primary reason we still do MK with our children, who also prefer HS, is for the nostalgia factor. If your boys have been less than thrilled for the last 7 years and, given the number of new things at HS, I agree that a second day at HS will work.

FWIW, we have 3 days at HS planned for our next trip and have already seen SWGE - it's amazing! Also, even though mine are now 20 and 22, they enjoyed slinky dog dash - just not as much as they enjoyed Rise of the Resistance. Enjoy.
Nostalgia is definitely the main reason for me and my wife wanting to still go

decisions..decisions

We decided a while ago that since we return every year, usually multiple times a year (we like to go for long weekends), that we would limit ourselves to the parks we are close. If we stay in Saratoga Springs we don't do the parks. A one point we hadn't been to the MK for 3 years straight. We find that when we do return to a park we seldom see it makes it 'new' again. We're staying at the AK in March with no park tickets.

We decided a while ago that since we return every year, usually multiple times a year (we like to go for long weekends), that we would limit ourselves to the parks we are close. If we stay in Saratoga Springs we don't do the parks. A one point we hadn't been to the MK for 3 years straight. We find that when we do return to a park we seldom see it makes it 'new' again. We're staying at the AK in March with no park tickets.

Blasphemy !here is no place for your likes here or anywhere else.

Heading down in April with my wife and 2 teenage boys 13 & 15

doing 4 park days, well 5 with one day at universal

HS has always been our favorite park, and now with Galaxy’s edge will be by far our favorite. And will be the first time seeing it

MK has been their least favorite for about the last 7 years

think it’s a good idea just to skip MK and do 2 days at HS, or will the second day there be overkill
Skip it!
I’ll be the brave one to say it.
Maybe the only reason you’re even contemplating going to Magic Kingdom is because it would be a sin not to (as said above).
Maybe the reason you’re contemplating skipping Magic Kingdom is because it isn’t important for you.

I could never do it but I say go for it.

My first trip to WDW as a boy was to MK when I was 13, and on Easter Sunday,.

Absolutely hated it. I can totally get why 13 and 15 yr old boys have zero interest.

Love it now, but it’s your family, don’t waster valuable time somewhere where the family doesn’t want to be.

Another vote for skip it! My young men (early& mid 20s) like MK, but in recent years we ALL find it too crowded, and extremely noisy! Sometimes we’d rather skip their beloved Splash, Big Thunder and Space, because the park is too irritating.
Heresy, I know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter