slo’s WEDNESDAY 11/23 poll - Thanksgiving Time Off Work

Thanksgiving Time Off Work - When are you off? (M.C.)

• Sunday 11/20 or 11/27 - please post which or both

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Monday 11/21

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Tuesday 11/22

• Wednesday 11/23

Votes: 14 17.9%
  • Thanksgiving Day 11/24

Votes: 50 64.1%
  • Friday 11/25

Votes: 46 59.0%
  • Saturday 11/26

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • I’m unemployed

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I’m retired

Votes: 22 28.2%
  • Other - please post your answer

• Total voters
RN who retired in April so working holidays is required. When I was working, we had holiday groups our work commitments were assigned from. Thanksgiving was grouped with Memorial Day, 4th of July & Labor Day. Worked all of them over the years. But the last several years I was able to get the pick I wanted thanks to my seniority. So I’ve been off Thanksgiving for years. The rest of the week really depended on everyone’s requests & weekend work commitments. I did take vacation many years so was off at least Sunday - Saturday.

I get both Thursday and Friday off as paid holiday. Saturday and Sunday are normal days off.

:scratchin Interesting! I thought all Americans got the Friday off automatically and I’ve always envied that. Wishing you all a lovely time tomorrow.:wave2:

I actually think the opposite is true, except for government agencies. Most employers are business as usual on Friday. This my first employer to give Friday off as a paid holiday. My last employer I took Friday off but had to use my leave time.

Black Friday is not a holiday at my company. Many people DO take it as part of PTO and sometime I do too. But this year I’m working because I took an extra day off earlier in November during my vacation.

it's the first day of buck
First day here is Saturday, things are ramping up for sure.

We close the office & jobsites on Thursday & Friday of Thanksgiving week, paid off including the field guys. Chances are I'll send everyone home early this afternoon due to a) phone being still b) lack of interest and c) I want to leave :idea:

My work holiday is Thanksgiving Day only. I'm fortunate to be in a position to take time off around holidays. That being said I do keep an eye on email in case something that requires my attention comes up, very rarely does. I'm on PTO starting now and return to work next Wednesday. I host and do all the cooking and baking for all holidays so I'm lucky to be able to take time off.

First day here is Saturday, things are ramping up for sure.

We close the office & jobsites on Thursday & Friday of Thanksgiving week, paid off including the field guys. Chances are I'll send everyone home early this afternoon due to a) phone being still b) lack of interest and c) I want to leave :idea:
It may be Saturday now too here. I don't hunt. I just enjoy the day off. I think they did change it to Saturday a while back but not positive.

It's just automatic to call it the first day of buck just as we no longer have a K-mart and everyone gets confused when you talk about the old K-mart, which is the one that closed down decades ago and has had several other businesses and the "new K-mart" is the one that recently closed because of the bankruptcy.

We're closed on Thursday...we go by whatever UPS' schedule is. If they are closed, we are supposed to be.

Our Houston family had whole week off, from work and elementary school. They spent weekend in NYC, then came to Cape May where we’re having great times!🦃

I'm self-employed, so I don't get paid vacations. But I'm taking off Thursday through Sunday. Wanted to take off today, but I need to wrap up some projects so I'm working a half day or so.

My normal days off are Tuesday/Wednesday, but for this week they switched it to Wednesday/Thursday. I'm grateful to be off the day before Thanksgiving because my commute includes 18 miles southbound on the FL turnpike in the early afternoon. It's crazy enough with the regular traffic.

This is our second Thanksgiving of retirement, and only the second Thanksgiving we have had off since 1979. All holidays are normal work days in TV news. Which is why we moved our Thanksgiving dinner to the Saturday afterwards about 30 years ago. And it remains there because our daughter is working Thanksgiving.
Really no different than when I was a kid. My mom was an RN working in a hospital and holidays there too are normal work days.

Well, I kind of messed up on the poll. I have a 4 day weekend, but just Thursday & Friday are the days off work; the rest is just normal weekend.

I gave my employees a half day off today and Friday off. We are all off on Thanksgiving day.
Today is free, they don't have to take leave. If they want Friday the need to use their PTO but I'm covering.
I'll answer your Christmas poll now. Depending on what day we (the government) has off, I let people of a half day prior to Christmas day in case they need to get last minute stuff done. When I had a large team I had to split the days off, half could get off early on Christmas eve, half the day before. They didn't have to use leave. I let a lot off on the day after Christmas but had to have a few working. They had to use PTO for full days off.

Retired so no work days. All 3 of my kids in office-type jobs have Thursday and Friday off in addition to the usual weekend days off.

I work in a hospital so I work every other Thanksgiving. Thankfully I have enough seniority to get the shift I wanted, which was 3rd shift. So I go to work tonight at midnight and get home at 830am. That gives me enough time to squeeze a nap before getting starting on dinner. I ordered out and just have to hear everything up.

I don’t work Fridays since I’m only part time but I volunteered to take someones shift since I will be on vacation next week.

Other, as I'm unable to work now, but when I was a freelancer I usually had a deadline that required me to work on whatever I was designing or illustrating on Thanksgiving. My drafting table was in the living room though, so I could socialize while I worked.

I’ve always had Thanksgiving and Friday as holidays at my job. My husband only has Thanksgiving off.

My high school student had school today, but is off Thanksgiving through Monday. My college student has only Thanksgiving and Friday off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter