Slow Cooker Cheese Dip

Kirby

DIS Veteran
Anyone have a favorite? I've always just done Velveeta and Rotel in a double broiler here at home. This year for Christmas we are not having a traditional meal at my parent's house but more of a snacking/finger food spread. I'd like to take a cheese dip over in my crockpot and was wondering what suggestions you all had.

I have always done one that is a couple pounds of cooked and well-drained hamburger or ground turkey or ground pork, then a couple of the large boxes of Velveeta cut into smaller pieces, and a couple of cans of Rotel. Dump it all in, give it a stir sometimes, and it's IMO really good with any kind of tortilla chips. :thumbsup2

That sounds easy and good. What size crockpot do you have? I have a 2 quart size.

What temp to you start with? Do you begin on high and then switch to low when the cheese is melted? I guess warm would be good enough to keep it melted once we got to my parent's home?

I would start on high yes, and then low would be good to keep it warm when it's all melted and mixed. My crockpot is gigantic, I don't know exactly how big it is in quarts. I think it would be easy enough to make a smaller quantity of the recipe, since it isn't really exact anyway. :)

Thanks for the help! I may go ahead and buy the quantities that you make and only make up half of it. Then, if I need more, I can add it in.

I do the velveeta and chili dip. I cook it first in the microwave and then keep it warm in my crockpot (I use a small one for dips and keep refilling as needed).

I do the velveeta and chili dip. I cook it first in the microwave and then keep it warm in my crockpot (I use a small one for dips and keep refilling as needed).
So, what kind of chili do you use? Is there anything else added besides the velveeta and chili?

So, what kind of chili do you use? Is there anything else added besides the velveeta and chili?

I usually make the chili (brown 1 pound ground beef and drain, add in 1 pack of McCormick's chili seasoning- any strength you want, I use medium- and one 8 ounce can of tomato sauce as well as a bit of water; mix well and simmer for 5 minutes) and then add the cubed Velveeta to it to melt. That's all there is to it, but you could add onions, peppers, etc to it if you want (my family doesn't like it that way). There are no beans, but again you can add a can of pinto or kidney beans to it if you like (just drain & rinse them first). If you don't want to make chili then use 2 cans of your favorite brand. Mix the Velveeta in in batches and check for thickness; we like it nice and thick so I add the entire block.

I serve with nacho chips, Fritos scoops or pretzels

Here's a variation..........one can of Rotel, one 8 oz pkg of cream cheese, and one 16 oz pkg of ground sausage (we like HOT), browned. This can be prepared in the crock pot or in the oven. I tripled it for a party last week, and there was none left.

I have always done one that is a couple pounds of cooked and well-drained hamburger or ground turkey or ground pork, then a couple of the large boxes of Velveeta cut into smaller pieces, and a couple of cans of Rotel. Dump it all in, give it a stir sometimes, and it's IMO really good with any kind of tortilla chips. :thumbsup2

I do this same one, except I use pace picante instead of rotel, but they are basically the same thing. :) It is very yummy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter