Smoking ban may change our strategy

I have no idea what prompted this. Not saying it wasn't complaints about smoke but more the health aspect than the smell. If Disney starts trying to remove any smells that many guests are offended by, they are going working non stop on that.
I think complaints about offensive smells drove this action. I can imagine that health was frequently mentioned as a reason to heed those complaints and was a convenient selling point, but the action was taken because there are now more people who don't like the smell than there are people who or family of people who suffer from the addiction.

We have been invited to go with Dd and sil to orlando for her 21st birthday celebration. Two days will be in Disney but we will be park hopping. Both dh and I smoke.

My plan is to actually plan in smoke breaks in a way that won’t affect their touring. I should be good. Dh may be a different story. He won’t chew gum but may try the lozenges.

As for fast passes, Dd and I discussed doing the first 3 in the AM and at that point know ahead we will likely split up so we can take a break and us two oldies can slow down a little. Then meet back up.

I am a bit surprised at where they have put these smoking areas. On the maps they honestly look to be in more populated areas than some of the in the park areas were.
Where are the smoking areas?

Where are the smoking areas?

The one outside of MK is by where the buses load and unload. The one at DHS is by the boat dock. The one in AK is on the left as you are walking up to the turn styles, looks like on the map its right before the entrance to Rainforest. There are two in Epcot, one by International Gateway and the other one is at the front but, it looks like its over toward the side where maybe the strollers are? Not inside the park though. Honestly I don't know if I have ever been all the way over there.

The one in AK and DHS just look to be right in a pathway and the one at MK is right there where bus passengers will pass by.

They don’t know if 2nd hand vape byproducts are harmful or not. They are finding out that vaping is harmful to the user (popcorn lung) so it may very well be bad for people walking through the vapors. I’m sure Disney doesn’t want to be seen as discriminating against one type of inhalant-user and doesn’t want to set the precedent that vaping is allowed in case it turns out to be harmful to more people than just the user.
OK, looks like it was debunked. I thought it sounded odd that I hadn't heard about it before https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/vaping-causes-popcorn-lung/

The one outside of MK is by where the buses load and unload. The one at DHS is by the boat dock. The one in AK is on the left as you are walking up to the turn styles, looks like on the map its right before the entrance to Rainforest. There are two in Epcot, one by International Gateway and the other one is at the front but, it looks like its over toward the side where maybe the strollers are? Not inside the park though. Honestly I don't know if I have ever been all the way over there.

The one in AK and DHS just look to be right in a pathway and the one at MK is right there where bus passengers will pass by.
Someone mentioned it was in busy traffic areas how you describe it that seems to be the case and seems like guests have to leave the park to smoke. I'm not a smoker but see that being a inconvience for those who do. We have 1 smoker that travels with us and if they have to leave the park and scan back in it will be time consuming.

Someone mentioned it was in busy traffic areas how you describe it that seems to be the case and seems like guests have to leave the park to smoke. I'm not a smoker but see that being a inconvience for those who do. We have 1 smoker that travels with us and if they have to leave the park and scan back in it will be time consuming.

Definitely have to leave to get to them and then go back through security. Which in one way makes sense by in another is frustrating. And it seemed to me they are in high traffic areas. I am almost positive the one in AK is. But we may get there and lay eyes on them and then say "OOOOOHHH. Ok, that makes more sense!" LOL

I do wish , since they moved them outside of the parks, they had kept them within a security area. It just makes it that much more time consuming. DH can go the day without vaping, but it's not his favorite thing.

Definitely have to leave to get to them and then go back through security. Which in one way makes sense by in another is frustrating. And it seemed to me they are in high traffic areas. I am almost positive the one in AK is. But we may get there and lay eyes on them and then say "OOOOOHHH. Ok, that makes more sense!" LOL
Going in July with a smoker will see then I guess

OK, looks like it was debunked. I thought it sounded odd that I hadn't heard about it before https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/vaping-causes-popcorn-lung/
Well that's not exactly accurate, as all that link debunked was the "clickbait web sites" which mis-stated the results of the Harvard research on the topic: Snopes actually gives it a "Mixture" verdict because the referenced Harvard study did conclude that the chemical which is associated with Popcorn Lung is indeed in most e-cigs, and that more research is needed to prove a link. More recent Harvard research has linked other damaging effects to lungs by those inhaled chemicals from e-cigs.

Well that's not exactly accurate, as all that link debunked was the "clickbait web sites" which mis-stated the results of the Harvard research on the topic: Snopes actually gives it a "Mixture" verdict because the referenced Harvard study did conclude that the chemical which is associated with Popcorn Lung is indeed in most e-cigs, and that more research is needed to prove a link. More recent Harvard research has linked other damaging effects to lungs by those inhaled chemicals from e-cigs.

I found this part interesting:

"While studies like Harvard’s are critical to fully understanding e-cigs, they too often have the opposite effect. Tobacco cigarettes, for instance, have also long been known to contain diacetyl — at levels over 100 times those found in electronic cigarettes — yet earlier tobacco studies found that even these levels were not enough to cause popcorn lung in smokers"

I have never heard of anyone having popcorn lung. I have heard of the name before but never once heard of anyone being diagnosed with it.

I don't vape and neither does dh but I have googled and googled the dangers of vaping and all I get is how it can be dangerous because of the nicotine. Not all vapes contain nicotine.

Real quick, can you say where the popcorn lung information is from so I can research it?
Popcorn lung is a result of using the sweet liquids. Almost any report you read focuses on those types, but even with those, it’s unclear if it’s really a risk or not.

I just wish it didn't apply to vaping as well. It was tough for my husband when he switched to vaping, but he dutifully went to the smoking areas to vape...with a bunch of other vapers. I hate the smell of cigarettes and I have asthma and I never gave a crap about the smoking areas. They were already pretty far out of the way and just because some of it smelled a bit walking by, who cares? You're outside and it won't cause any health problems just because you can smell it. Oh well. Looks like there will be the smell of blueberry muffins wafting out from some bathroom stalls, lol.

You might want to try the vape pens that put out no vapor when used correctly. The rule at Disney is it can’t produce smoke or vapor.

We should all chew the gum , then leave it all over the park, on the rides , ground , untill they create zones outside of the park without securety checks.

Kidding aside, this looks poorly planned. They could have set up a few places on the perimeter of the park with a gate so you could say go out into a holding pen like area, smoke then reenter the park without security. 3 of these would have worked for each park with 1 cm maning the gate. Disney wouldn't even have to pay , charge a fee to recoup the CM pay for the day. I bet everyone would fork over 5 bucks a day to be able to smoke.

What I find offensive are the loud drunks at EPCOT bumping into me sloshing their beer everywhere. If they can drink, why can’t there bring back smoking areas?
I agree. At least if there were smoking/vaping areas, they could tell all those people with vapes to go there. Instead, people are sneaking their vapes throughout the parks all the time. Just bring back smoking/vaping areas so the rest of us don't need to be exposed to all those chemicals as people sneak their vapes out.

On the subject of smoking, I hate that there is now a smoking area on the walkway from MK to GF, so you can’t do the walk without being exposed to the nasty, toxic fumes. All smoking areas should be situated in spots where there is no reason to go anywhere near them except to smoke.
I smoke but only in designated areas. With MK it used to be on the walkway near the buses but I saw people not sticking to the actual designated area. I can only guess this prompted the move to GF walkway which was worse for people walking past being a lot narrower. I hated using that spot. I suppose unlike the other parks there is no space around MK outside to utilise without causing inconvenience to others. I wish they could find a spot inside away from people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter