Smugglers Run, should we be afraid to ride?

juju

DIS Veteran
We’re a couple in our mid 60s who go to WDW at least twice a year. We’ve slowed down our attraction choices at Hollywood Studios the past several years due to motion issues. No more multiple rides on TOT and even one ride on Slinky Dog was enough. We not video game people either, too uncoordinated, however we are fine if we are the only ones involved, love Toy Story. We’ve avoided Smugglers Run because of reported motion illness and afraid to ruin the attraction for others with our ineptness. Should we continue to avoid?

We’re a couple in our mid 60s who go to WDW at least twice a year. We’ve slowed down our attraction choices at Hollywood Studios the past several years due to motion issues. No more multiple rides on TOT and even one ride on Slinky Dog was enough. We not video game people either, too uncoordinated, however we are fine if we are the only ones involved, love Toy Story. We’ve avoided Smugglers Run because of reported motion illness and afraid to ruin the attraction for others with our ineptness. Should we continue to avoid?

If they're still doing one party per pod you don't have to worry about ruining it for others and can just have fun ;)
I will say thanks to new technology the simulation is a bit more intense than Star Tours IMO but if you want to do it once and plan a break afterwards to get your bearings it's a really fun attraction!

If they're still doing one party per pod you don't have to worry about ruining it for others and can just have fun ;)
I will say thanks to new technology the simulation is a bit more intense than Star Tours IMO but if you want to do it once and plan a break afterwards to get your bearings it's a really fun attraction!
They're not. They installed plexiglass and can now load a party of 2 or less and a party of 4 or less

I haven't done Star Tours for years because it makes me feel sick, and I even close my eyes occasionally for a few seconds during Flight of Passage. However, I had no problem on Smugglers Run, which I've only ridden once. Maybe it was because I was so busy laughing as we tried to steer and shoot! Anyway, if you're the only ones in your pod, it's easy enough to just close your eyes if you feel ill, without harming anyone else's experience.

I can ride everything else and be just fine but motion simulators get me sometimes. I have ridden Smuggler’s Run several times. The first time I was one of the pilots and I felt pretty bad about halfway through and for awhile after. However, I’ve not been a pilot since then and have been just fine. I think that being able to look away from the screen if I want to helps. So my personal recommendation would be to try it, but don’t be a pilot. Good luck!

You may want to schedule riding it towards the end of your day in the park. You can always close your eyes but that ride is anything but smooth- very jerky.

I can't ride Star Tours.....try it every few years. Just not happening.
I was fine on Smuggler's Run....so buy looking at the side panel, I didn't notice a lot of the motion things

I assume you can request the engineer positions and if motion becomes a problem, you can just look for buttons/switches to light up on your board to push/flip.

You can actually request individual cabins (I did it twice just last week without issue). But you will have to let the the cast member know before they start putting you into assignments. Eliminates needing to ask for positions. Autopilot fills in the vacant seats including the pilots.

I'm fine on star tours. However, I was an engineer on smuggler's run and had to close my eyes a few times. I think it was because I was looking at the screen in front and having to turn my head to look for flashing buttons.

I have some motion sickness issues on simulator rides, including Star Tours, but I don't remember having any trouble with Smuggler's Run.

You may want to schedule riding it towards the end of your day in the park. You can always close your eyes but that ride is anything but smooth- very jerky.

I agree. Noone in our family has motion sickness issues, so that was no problem for us. But I did not anticipate how jerky the actual motion of the ride would be. My husband has a bad back and I spent the entire ride worrying about him. I don't have any severe back issues, but even I was uncomfortable on it. While my husband did ok on MFSR, I'm not sure it's worth the risk for him, and I doubt he'll ride it again. It's a fun ride, but nothing all that special IMHO. Frankly I thought the queue was the best part! :goodvibes

I can do Star Tours once or twice before the motion sickness sets in a bit but I will say Smugglers Run made me feel not so hot for awhile. I was left pilot, granted not a very good one, but for some reason I did not feel very good for awhile after that ride...not like Mission Space Orange where I thought I was going to die but definitely not great.

what is rise of the resistance like? All these descriptions are sounding the same to me!

Rise of R does not have the movements of Smuggler’s Run, Flight of Pandora or Star Tours. They are similar in that they are simulator rides; they depend on the video aspect to create motion, whereas your vehicle actually moves you through an area for Rise.

I get nauseated on all three of those rides; closing my eyes is the only way to tolerate them, but still come off the ride with messed up equilibrium.

I really enjoyed Rise, more so the second time, even. After the first ride, I thought, “what’s the big deal.” Maybe so much to take in.

Unless you just want to check it off the list, it’s skippable if you have issues. Definitely not worth a long queue wait to come off nauseated. I’ll give most rides one shot, just in case. But I never returned to Star Tours after 2005. I did Flight of Pandora and Smuggler’s a second time, just to be with family, but now consider it in the category of Star Tours.

i can ride Rock n Rollercoaster and Tower of Terror; so it’s not all motion.

I have ridden Smuggler's Run at Disneyland (not WDW). I can't really do Star Tours without feeling sick, but was fine on Sumggler's Run. Part of what helped was there was a fan blowing right in my face. Also, you are doing some kind of task so it distracts you from the simulator a bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter