• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

So conflicted about sea sickness meds

MAmama78

First time cruiser in 2020
I'm headed on my first ever cruise next month. I am prone to motion sickness (nausea but not vomiting) in the backseat of a car. I do not feel sick on boats BUT I do get the sensation of movement at bedtime after I've been on a boat. The land legs issue is my big concern. I have read a lot about sea sickness medicine options, but I don't know if I should just resign myself to taking Bonine proactively and risk being groggy and unable to drink, or just see what happens with this first cruise? I drink moderately, but was looking forward to a couple of mixology classes. I bought Bonine yesterday and was thinking about a test run to see how I feel using it at home. Suggestions?

Where is your cabin located? That will be a significant factor as to how much motion you'll feel.

You could certainly try a test run of Bonine at home and see how you feel.

I also experience some nausea but not in a severe way. Have you tried the ginger pills/capsules available at most pharmacies and Target or Walmart? Think Gravol may offer them as well as their regular line. Think there are also ginger chews available on amazon but you should do some research about their effectiveness.

I mention ginger and regular Gravol because for years Bonine has not been available for purchase in Canada. Regular Gravol and ginger have been our go to.

I took meds with us for everyone but waited to see if we needed them. As soon as the ship started moving I felt off balance and a little dizzy, not shocking with all my ear problems. I took less-drowsy dramamine (same as bonine I think) and felt fine. I just took it every afternoon/evening after that. For our next cruise I'll probably just start the night before so my timing is better taking it at bedtime, but honestly I wasn't drowsy from it. We started moving right at dinner time so that first dinner I didn't eat much and didn't feel great. My daughter and husband were fine but I'll still take enough meds for them in case they need it.

I recommend bringing motion sickness medications, and things like ginger candy to suck on, but not using any of them unless you actually have a problem at sea. I sometimes get motion sickness issues on land and small boats, but I'm just fine on a cruise and that is very common. I've sailed six times, have sailed on every Disney ship, both aft and forward, in inside, porthole, and verandah staterooms, and been fine. The ships are huge and have great stabilizers, so I would not go in assuming there will be a problem. Just bring medicine to be prepared, just in case.

What you should not do is medicate yourself in advance without knowing if you'll need it. Medicines have side effects, and you would also rob yourself of the chance to cruise medication-free if you assume that you'll have to medicate yourself without knowing from experience.

We did the wait and see method on our first cruise (Alaska). I had Dramamine Naturals (ginger pills) with me. Only my oldest DD (then 16) had issues. (I felt a little off on the first day and taking a ginger pill worked well for me.) The health center on deck 1 has free samples of chewable Meclizine (active ingredient in Bonine), so I grabbed some for DD. That worked well for her, no drowsiness. For our second cruise, I bought Bonine ahead of time and DD started taking it the night before the cruise--no drowsiness. My youngest DD, now 15, will take Bonine for overnight flights, as she's prone to air sickness on long flights, especially overnight ones--no issues with drowsiness there either. Both kids use 'seabands'--acupressure bands worn on your wrist--it's a good non-medicine option.

I would test Bonine on yourself at home, 1 tablet, to see how you react to it. Generally, it's supposed to be non-drowsy. A lot of people will take it before bedtime, so if there is any drowsiness, it's during their sleep cycle.

I start my Bonine regime the day before and take one every night at bedtime, no issues.
I still have a drink or two a night.
Like PP said do a trial run at home to see if it works for you.

The best thing to do with Bonine is to start taking it at night, prior to bed time, several days prior to your sail date. Taking Bonine and Dramamine when you feel sick will be too late.
Make sure you stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water, more than usual, but also ensure you are replacing your electrolytes.
If you do feel queasy on ship, get a salty, but light, snack. Lool at the horizon and get wind in your face. Do NOT go below or lay down. That will be the kiss of death.
Finally, if you cannot shake it off, get in the water, over your shoulders if you can, and look at the horizon. Pick a spot and focus.

I love to cruise, but have terrible motion sickness. So, in addition to Bonine, I keep prenatal morning sickness candies with me, as well as Sea Bands. The best thing you can do is try to ignore it or not dwell on it. Distract yourself as best you can. Sometimes sea sickness can be a self fulfilling prophecy, if ya know what I mean.

These are my tricks, but I do have a few others. PM if you need.

Lower is actually better for seasickness. You feel the motion less closer to the water.

I will say, I am VERY sensitive to medications (like I can't take more than one regular strength tylenol without feeling wonky) and I have no side effects with Bonine. I take it at night, even though I've never noticed it making me drowsy. I'm not a big drinker but I have had a drink while taking it (though I take it at night, and I'd have a drink in the evening so it's probably mostly out of my system). Like other posters have said, staying extra hydrated is a necessity for me (more so when you're drinking). Dehydration is a sure way to bring on seasickness.

I get motion sickness sometimes. I used to take Bonine on my cruises. It made me nap every afternoon. Alcohol will make you very sleepy.

Figuring out why you get it might help. I found out that I always have fluid or crystals in my inner ears. It eventually caused me a lot of vertigo. I take half of a Zyrtech every day and that keeps the vertigo away and it also had the benefit of removing my motion sickness. I cannot take a whole pill or I will become a zombie.

Sea Bands have always helped for us. You can find them at any drugstore or pharmacy in the motion sickness section. No drugs involved so no negative effects. They use pressure points to reduce motion sickness. The ships are so stable I really only notice movement in confined spaces like in the theaters.

I get bad motion sickness, so my travel routine is as follows:

I start a ginger supplement (that also contains a probiotic for digestion) a week before the cruise, take it every morning through the cruise and also for a week after since I get terrible sea legs afterwards. I also wear sea bands continously during flights and the cruise, and I apply MotionEaze behind my ears for take off and landing, every couple of hours the first day of the cruise and always at bedtime (as well as for any tender boats we may have to take). I keep Dramamine in my make up bag as a back up.

This may sound over the top but it works for me. I rarely have to dip into the Dramamine stash.

I had no luck with the ginger based "nondrowsy" medications but bonine made the seasickness disappear within about 30 minutes of me feeling sick, and I did not start it before the cruise. I drank alcohol as I normally would on vacation (i.e., quite a bit) and did not notice any drowsiness or dizziness. I have taken Dramamine before and it did make me very drowsy, but had no issues with the bonine.

It's probably just something that is going to vary person to person.

Oh! BTW, I'm a drinker. I don't know what moderate means to you on vacation. I'm budgeting 10-12 drinks per day (per two people), and thats our average. I do well with that, even on sea days, even on small boats with no stabilizers. Taking the Bonine at night will not affect your day drinking. Also, I just pulled my morning sickness candy stash, they are called "Preggie Drops." They make you salivate like salty snacks do, and thats how they work. Decent flavors and they are infused with Vitamin B which also helps the nausea, allegedly.

had no luck with the ginger based "nondrowsy" medications
Same.

I would wait and see how you feel on the ship prior to taking anything. I had the same concerns as you. I came prepared with bonine, real ginger chews and sea bands for my family of 4. I have a husband and son who are prone to car and small boat sickness. I hate medicating when there is no need to. Anyway, all of us felt fine. It was not an issue at all. We also stayed Deck 2, mid ship.

Even if you get on the ship and start to feel sick, just take the meds then or try a different alternative (ginger chews, apples) and see if that works.

Good luck!

I'm headed on my first ever cruise next month. I am prone to motion sickness (nausea but not vomiting) in the backseat of a car. I do not feel sick on boats BUT I do get the sensation of movement at bedtime after I've been on a boat. The land legs issue is my big concern. I have read a lot about sea sickness medicine options, but I don't know if I should just resign myself to taking Bonine proactively and risk being groggy and unable to drink, or just see what happens with this first cruise? I drink moderately, but was looking forward to a couple of mixology classes. I bought Bonine yesterday and was thinking about a test run to see how I feel using it at home. Suggestions?
I have the same issue as you, land sickness. I didn't take anything our first 2 cruises and got terrible land sickness for a week when we returned. This summer, I took Bonine every day/night and gave it to my kids and I was completely fine. No land sickness at all (granted the water was also quite smooth compared to our first two cruises). But, the Bonine did not make me drowsy at all. I don't drink, so I can't speak to that, just wanted to share my experience.

I usually get by taking Ginger capsules which don't make me drowsy. Another option is suck on candied ginger pieces which also helps too. Good luck!

When on a cruise ship, I feel lightheaded and I have balance problems so now I take Bonine once a day at bedtime. Helps a lot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter