So conflicted about sea sickness meds

I get very motion sick and pretty easily too. I was nervous about our first cruise, I bought one of everything. I used ginger chews/gum and sea bands during the day and took melatonin to help me sleep at night. I didn't have any major issues. I definitely felt the ship moving the first day and it took some getting use to but I didn't get sick. We had really rough seas one night and I got a little dizzy but it was all very manageable, nothing that prevented me from doing anything. I did feel like I was moving after the cruise was over for about 5 days :-) Know your limits (when to go lay down) and have a good time!

I wouldn’t assume you’ll have problems. I was worried, brought the sea bands, and I’ve been fine. Without the sea bands (they are very very tight)

the first night out of Florida is the roughest on a normal weather cruise. Get through that night and the rest should be fine. And if it’s not the ship has medication.

I have dealt with BAD vertigo after the cruise once or twice, but I’m not going to drug myself during the cruise for fear of something afterwards.

Stateroom 2508 on Deck 2. I probably screwed up going too low, right?

no, that’s good.

You might want to try the wait-and-see approach. Our older DS has motion sickness problems on land, but has never had an issue at sea... so if we had started him on medication before our first cruise he would have been taking it for no reason. Our younger DS, who usually has a cast-iron stomach, sometimes has trouble on the way out of Florida. Our servers have sent a couple of green apple and ginger ale dinners to our room the first night! :) He's always fine after that, though.

I'm headed on my first ever cruise next month. I am prone to motion sickness (nausea but not vomiting) in the backseat of a car. I do not feel sick on boats BUT I do get the sensation of movement at bedtime after I've been on a boat. The land legs issue is my big concern. I have read a lot about sea sickness medicine options, but I don't know if I should just resign myself to taking Bonine proactively and risk being groggy and unable to drink, or just see what happens with this first cruise? I drink moderately, but was looking forward to a couple of mixology classes. I bought Bonine yesterday and was thinking about a test run to see how I feel using it at home. Suggestions?
my personally I would never take any medication for the what iffs. Also I feel the amount of sea sickness issues are overstated. Everyone writes about how sick they were, but the most have no issues and never write " Just got off a cruise I wasn't sick!" KWIM?

to be safe bring some with or Ginger stuff just in case. I feel many may get sick due to choices they make while sailing ex, Over eating and over drinking and not moving enough...

I never noticed anything while sailing but man i did have sea legs afterwards.. noticed it the most while sitting on the toilet lol. thought I was going to fall off. The best advice for this and it worked is to keep moving. thank God we were at WDW after our cruise. walking the parks I didnt notice anything.. only back at the hotel when things were still. took about 2 days..

My DH uses the patch and it works wonders for him. It is a RX but so well worth it. You just place behind the ear and change every 3 days. He has issues with meds but nothing with the patch. We were in rough waters at last day to where I felt the motion to the point I was worried about having to fly the next day. DH didn’t notice anything at all. I wasn’t sick just felt strange.

I've suffered from motion sickness all my life. Riding in a stick-shift vehicle is the worst, but being on a boat on the open sea is just as bad. I've tried it all... sea bands, ginger, the patch, all brands of motion sickness pills, green apples, etc. About 15 years ago, I finally found what works best for me, and haven't had any problems with sea sickness or drowsiness since. The night before a cruise, I take 1/4 of a Bonine at bedtime. At lunch onboard Day 1, I take a whole Bonine to get me through the 1st evening's current. After that, I just take 1/4 Bonine every night until the cruise ends. Hope this info helps and you have a fantastic cruise! :)

My daughters and I do proactive bonine. We start the day before we leave (a 12 hour car trip) and take one each morning through the day after we get home. I drink some alcohol on the cruise and don't have any issues. Getting ahead of motion sickness is a must for me and two of my girls; once it's started it's too late and I'll be chasing the nausea.

I do the Bonine pro-actively and don't have an issue with drowsiness or alcohol, though I'm a 1-2 drinks sort of person at most per day. Only two cruises have impacted me to the point of feeling miseable, both with major storms / waves.

I am prone to motion sickness and usually have to sit in the front of the car on a long ride although I can last in the back seat if the ride is fairly short with not a lot of rocking. I take 24H non-drowsy Dramamine - start a day ahead and I have never had a problem. We've been on 5 cruises - the first in the ships middle OV and the last 4 aft for the extended veranda.

I do the Bonine pro-actively and don't have an issue with drowsiness or alcohol, though I'm a 1-2 drinks sort of person at most per day. Only two cruises have impacted me to the point of feeling miseable, both with major storms / waves.
Yeah, if the crew is turning green, it's not just my issue. When I'm proactive about my meds, I don't get sick, except for when its really rocking and rolling. Then, it doesn't matter where you are on ship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter