So Disappointed! (Long)

FayeW

DIS Veteran
My husband and I have been discussing buying into DVC, or even (gasp!) some other timeshare. Early in the discussion stage, I spoke to The Timeshare Store about resales, and asked if they could call me if a small contract came up at BWV or BCV. I was shocked when less than 2 weeks later, I got a call yesterday with the EXACT size contract, and location, I was looking for. I told them we would take it, and she faxed the doc's to me. We spent all evening discussing it and I am going to have to call my rep back and tell her to offer it to someone else. My husband is having a really hard time with the concept of banking and borrowing to have a vacation every 2-3 yrs ( looks like it would be 2 yrs, then 3 yrs, then 2 again, etc). I was able to plan out vacation up to 2010, but it involved taking a studio for the night of arrival and departure to save points, and he is completely unwilling to change rooms or resorts. He wants to show up, plant his butt in a room, and not pack again for 7 days. Theoretically, we could do that, if we were willing to stay in a studio or 1 bdrm, but to be fair when considering this, we have to price for the accomodation we want, and what we would chose if were going through skyauction. I have explained to him that as the kids get older, taking them out of school for a week may not be an option, and we will have to travel at March Break. There is virtually NO availability with skyauction for March, so it's tough to book airfare when you don't even know if there will be accomodations! One of his real issues is going to Florida in March, because he doesn't want to go to the parks when it is crowded. I have pointed out that we don't HAVE to go to a theme park, we could just enjoy the resort just as we would if we went to a non-Florida resort, and that there are plenty of other things to do in Orlando anyway, but then he says "why would we stay onsite if we aren't going to the parks???". I am frustrated and disappointed, but someone else will be very happy later this morning when they get the call about the contract I have to give up

He wants to show up, plant his butt in a room, and not pack again for 7 days.

Sounds like my hubby. He used to not be like that, but now has this attitude he will not move!

Sorry about your situation. Men are such pains. ::yes:: Maybe he'll change his mind? Don't give up!

Shan
quote:Men are such pains.::yes::

Not all men are as you said "such pains" I for one, open and close the Parks each and every day of our trips to Disney, If it was totally my choice we would have added on at least 2 more times by now, But my "DW" says we should wait, so it's not just the "men"

Fayw
I hope your situation works out for you and yours::yes::

::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo

FayeW -- Perhaps I am misunderstanding your original post, but are you looking into enough points?

When DH and I looked into DVC, we thought about the season(s) we'd like to visit, the lengths of our stays and the size accomodations we anticipated needing now and in the future. Based on that we determined how many points per year we'd need.

With the studio on first and last day with 1BR in between, it leads me to believe you aren't looking into purchasing enough points?

:confused:

FayeW, Has your husband been to disney and stayed in one of the DVC resorts? If not, consider renting the points (through the rent/trade board here) and giving it a try. At the going rate of around $10 a point, renting can be almost as cost effective as buying, and after a week at BCV or BW, he may be ready to make a purchase...

Just a thought,

Jeff

FayeW, you are correct to think long term about taking the kids. When ours were younger we did take them out of schools for trips a couple of times. Now our 2 oldest are Jr. High, oldest will be in High School next year, and it is much more tricky with multiple teachers, heavy work loads, ect... We have to stick to the school calendar, and we have to always get a 2 bedroom (4 kids) but we just started with 160 BCV points. We made it work for a couple of years, but we just recently bought 250 more at VWL, and would like more BCV in time. You can start small and add-on as the kids get older and you vacation times change. Also, I think most people worry too much about the crowds. As long as you avoind Easter, April would be moderate at best IMO. Also, when you go again and again you don't have to see and do EVERYTHING on every trip. We now do a couple of park days, a couple of water parks days, some shopping time, ect. You don't have to go comando anymore when you know you have 40plus years of vacations coming to you. I do agree with your hubby though, DVC is not really a good deal if you don't LOVE Disney. There are lots of other nice T/Ss out there that are less$$ if Disney is not your main thing. We own another T/S in Williamsburg, Va that we trade through RCI to go all over, but our DVC is strictly to get our Disney fix!!! Hope this helps...Lacee

Oh, jim! I was just kidding around. :sunny:
My hubby loves WDW, too. He used to agree to staying at a value for our first night, but now wants to just stay at the same place the entire trip. He has started to hate packing up and moving during the trip. Really, it is rather easy. Last time we did it, Disney transferred our bags for us. We just left them in the room.

Originally posted by lenshanem
Men are such pains.

I'll admit to being a pain but for many reasons besides DVC and family vacations. I value both too much.

Now if you want to talk about playing golf.....that's another story.

HBC

Originally posted by CRSNDSNY

With the studio on first and last day with 1BR in between, it leads me to believe you aren't looking into purchasing enough points?

:confused:

That's just the problem, he WON'T stay in a studio and/or 1Bdrm, if he would we would have enough points! He wants to stay 7 nights in a 2 bdrm, because that's what we can get through skyauction ( except in March, apparently). We will need more points to meet his expectations, and we can't afford a large contract right now. We looked at 150 pts at SSR, but the maintenance fees alone for 2 years (we'd only go every 2nd year) would cost more than skyauction so he nixed that as well. I guess the only thing I can do is wait for the inevitable day that skyauction dries up completely and tell him "I told you so!"

Originally posted by FayeW
(snip) My husband is having a really hard time with the concept of banking and borrowing to have a vacation every 2-3 yrs ( looks like it would be 2 yrs, then 3 yrs, then 2 again, etc). (snip)

(snip)I was able to plan out vacation up to 2010, but it involved taking a studio for the night of arrival and departure to save points, and he is completely unwilling to change rooms or resorts. He wants to show up, plant his butt in a room, and not pack again for 7 days. (snip)

(snip) One of his real issues is going to Florida in March, because he doesn't want to go to the parks when it is crowded. I have pointed out that we don't HAVE to go to a theme park, we could just enjoy the resort just as we would if we went to a non-Florida resort, and that there are plenty of other things to do in Orlando anyway, but then he says "why would we stay onsite if we aren't going to the parks???". (snip)

Clearly, DVC just isn't for everyone. It sounds like your DH really is not a Disney fan (much less fanatic) and if he doesn't like crowds then he is bound to be unhappy from time to time in the parks.

I can sympathize with him on the moving issue....I don't like to spend time on vacation moving either.

Good luck to you...it's a hard situation.

Shan....you, I'm just ignoring! :p

Originally posted by FayeW
That's just the problem, he WON'T stay in a studio and/or 1Bdrm, if he would we would have enough points! He wants to stay 7 nights in a 2 bdrm, because that's what we can get through skyauction ( except in March, apparently). We will need more points to meet his expectations, and we can't afford a large contract right now. We looked at 150 pts at SSR, but the maintenance fees alone for 2 years (we'd only go every 2nd year) would cost more than skyauction so he nixed that as well. I guess the only thing I can do is wait for the inevitable day that skyauction dries up completely and tell him "I told you so!"
:( Well, I'll definitely echo what another poster said and that is rent points for a 1BR for a first stay and see how he feels afterwards. I think he may change his mind.

BEST OF LUCK!

What exactly IS skyauction? I've never heard of it.

I must admit I don't know what sky auction is either? How can they auction off DVC weeks? I would think this would cost more than renting points, but why no March???

SkyAuction.com
Did a seach for Disney and they were all CLOSE to disney.

DVC is not just close, it's the real thing!

If he or you are not into Disney maybe DVC is not for ya'll anyways.

If it's Florida but not disney I am sure there are alot of others out there.

Good luck whatever you both decide.

I think renting is the way to go as well! Perhaps a trip or two may give him the opportunity to see just how nice the DVC resorts are. Until this last trip (our first as DVC members), we did the commando thing at the parks; have to admit that having a wonderful unit at OKW made it much more tempting just to hang out! Another thing about renting is that it allows you to preview the resort(s) before purchasing. We've purchased at BWV and VWL for totally different reasons. After staying at OKW in October, we found we really like the atmosphere there as well -- each has its own "personality"!

Perhaps you and DH need to come to an understanding that part of your trip will be devoted to hanging out at the resort/pool, going to a movie at Downtown Disney, etc. which might make him happier, but then he needs to do what makes you happy as well -- getting out to those parks!

Good luck & keep us posted!!

Buy the conract when you both are ready to buy.

Took me three years to talk DH into buying a resale contract.

Finally won him over by saying that better buy now because the price per point is going up in the next couple of months (we bought VWL at $69 a point a few months back.)

Another conract will come your way when you're both ready.

Good luck to you!

princess:

I think the OP meant she is willing to stay in a one bedroom or studio which is within their budget, but Hubby is not.

When he is able to get a 2 bedroom for the entire week through SkyAuction. He does not care that it is not Disney.

I know it's hard to believe to all of us, but there are many people in this world that Disney is not the end all and while for us that love going its hard to understand it is normal to be this way. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter