So I just got a package from ABD... and NEWS! (sort of)

I'm wondering if anyone who traveled with ABD in the past having used Disney Vacation Club points to pay for the trip has received this offer. I certainly haven't although given my recent issues with the company and their lack of interest/concern in our situation, I highly doubt that we'd want to travel with ABD again. Still, it is irritating to think that customers using vacation club points wouldn't be entitled to the same benefits. Seems like we're just a necessary evil to this compnay

We've taken 6 AbDs (4 international) and the only thing I've received so far is the email about the gift card offer. I guess Disney doesn't consider how many trips you've taken or amount of $$$$ spent when they anoint you a "VIP". :confused3

I just went to Yahoo and the advertising banner that popped up on the screen was for $500 Visa Gift Card ABD offer. So this is just a general public offer.

I still hold to what has been discussed in these boards before that there is a natural letdown after you travelled with ABD the first time. I can't say I've seen any reduction in quality--but then, we did a Disney cruise this year rather than an ABD, so I can't speak to the ABD trips this year.

I will continue to push for some sort of frequent traveller plan--points for each trip that you can cash in for a pre-night, or some other incentive/reward. Seems to me that would encourage repeat bookings and satisfy those who feel the company is ignoring them or whatever.

From just my own experiences on 4 ABD trips, I can think of a dozen unexpected events that occured through no fault of Disney--and the guides came in and helped the guests through it (computers left in another city, flight delays at the beginning of the trip, special arrangements for post-trip travel etc etc). Having read these boards for a few years now--including the cruise one (now there is a board deep in small details)--I am surprised at the level of "entitlement" expressed by some of the posters. Maybe because it IS Disney, there is a higher expectation--and that might be justified to some degree because Disney uses that as a selling point. But it is still a business that needs to deal with the economy, and no doubt the travel biz is fraught with unexpected events/costs/headaches. I don't subscribe to the idea that the Disney travel group is looking for ways to kill their business, or don't know anything about public relations etc.

All of this is just MHO--no offense intended nor is this directed at anyone in particlular.

We've done 4 adventures (3 international) each time with 4 to 6 people. We booked each trip by October. We didn't receive a letter etc. Like you. I was just thinking the other day that if I was working in the ABD marketing department I'd be contacting former travelers like me who haven't booked for 2011 to find out why and give 'em a reason to book now. I don't exactly know what makes anyone a VIP or not, maybe it's random...either way I am holding off on 2011. After our last trip (Germany) in August, I was feeling like the quality seems to have slipped over the years with each trip. Yes, there is still magic, but something seems to be missing. So, I will probably need a financial incentive to book for 2011. Am I alone in my thinking? And speaking of incentives: there were a few families on our Germany trip that booked to soon last year and didn't get the free cruise incentive. We booked through Costco--a first for us and so worth it--and got the free cruise and $1000 in Costco gift cards. Now that's an incentive! BTW each of those families were so mad they don't plan to be repeat customers.

No, you're not alone. We have noticed the same thing - the quality of AbDs have been declining by degrees... those taking an AbD for the first or second time may not notice the difference, but we certainly do.

From just my own experiences on 4 ABD trips, I can think of a dozen unexpected events that occured through no fault of Disney--and the guides came in and helped the guests through it (computers left in another city, flight delays at the beginning of the trip, special arrangements for post-trip travel etc etc). Having read these boards for a few years now--including the cruise one (now there is a board deep in small details)--I am surprised at the level of "entitlement" expressed by some of the posters. Maybe because it IS Disney, there is a higher expectation--and that might be justified to some degree because Disney uses that as a selling point. But it is still a business that needs to deal with the economy, and no doubt the travel biz is fraught with unexpected events/costs/headaches. I don't subscribe to the idea that the Disney travel group is looking for ways to kill their business, or don't know anything about public relations etc.

All of this is just MHO--no offense intended nor is this directed at anyone in particlular.

Great post.....the sense of entitlement can also be found on other "cruise boards". :confused3

I just wanted to let folks know that, so far, this so-called VIP status has netted me absolutely zip, besides a free water bottle and a phone number I can call and get a "concierge". Quite honestly, if ABD were looking for an incentive to get me to rebook, they could hardly have picked something I needed less. I have found the "regular", front-line ABD folks that answer the "regular" phone number to be fantastic. They are personable, eager to please & answer my questions, and if they didn't know the answer, have always *gotten* the answer or referred me to a supervisor who was able to get it. Saying "Oh, wow, now I can book through someone who's really going to look out for me & help me" is ridiculous, because EVERYONE ALREADY DOES! I have repeatedly been blown away by the amount of time folks have spent on the phone with me, especially describing, in detail, the details of each trip I've been contemplating. So honestly, not that big a deal.

What I do want you to know is that I thouroughly intend to call this concierge this evening (forgot the number at home!) and tell her what I just wrote. And ask her why ABD is not providing us with a more meaningful incentive program for repeat customers. If they REALLY want to motivate me to book, they missed the mark. I'll let you know what they say.

No email, nothing on the website, so the letter was wrong. VIP status? Pretty hollow at this point. (And I think it's RIDICULOUS to make it so random. Either you meet whatever the criteria for VIP status or you don't. This just seems too inconsistant.)

Sayhello

I still hold to what has been discussed in these boards before that there is a natural letdown after you travelled with ABD the first time. I can't say I've seen any reduction in quality--but then, we did a Disney cruise this year rather than an ABD, so I can't speak to the ABD trips this year.

I will continue to push for some sort of frequent traveller plan--points for each trip that you can cash in for a pre-night, or some other incentive/reward. Seems to me that would encourage repeat bookings and satisfy those who feel the company is ignoring them or whatever.

I have to agree with you, WeLoveABD. My plane to Fairbanks was extremely late. The Adventure Guides were on top of the situation, contacted me to let me know they were on top of the situation, and Jesse was sitting there, waiting for me when I disembarked, hours late, at 2am. And I was arriving a day early!

I did not find the quality lacking on my Alaska trip or my Mediterranean trip. I'm sorry if some people's expectations weren't met, but I'm not seeing a decline in quality. Some of the back office stuff has been a pain in the butt, but the actual trips? The Adventure Guides? Fabulous!

Sayhello

What I do want you to know is that I thouroughly intend to call this concierge this evening (forgot the number at home!) and tell her what I just wrote. And ask her why ABD is not providing us with a more meaningful incentive program for repeat customers. If they REALLY want to motivate me to book, they missed the mark. I'll let you know what they say.

No email, nothing on the website, so the letter was wrong. VIP status? Pretty hollow at this point. (And I think it's RIDICULOUS to make it so random. Either you meet whatever the criteria for VIP status or you don't. This just seems too inconsistant.)

Sayhello

You go, girl! I am glad you are on our team.:cheer2:

I didn't see any difference is quality between our 2008 and 2009 ABDs. Both trips were fantastic. No ABD in 2010 so I can't comment on that, although it does seem that the prices are higher but less is provided (fewer meals, more on-your-own time). I didn't experience any let down with the 2nd trip either. Our first trip was Costa Rica, and even though the location was more exoctic, the accomodations in general were nicer than in Alaska (except for the Aleyaska), we didn't have any box lunches, and the activities were more exciting, I actually enjoyed the Alaska trip the most. I think all of those differences in quality (if you can call it that) were just due to location. And on our second trip I knew there would be towel animals, and post cards with our photos, etc. but it was still just as much fun.

I have to agree with you, WeLoveABD. My plane to Fairbanks was extremely late. The Adventure Guides were on top of the situation, contacted me to let me know they were on top of the situation, and Jesse was sitting there, waiting for me when I disembarked, hours late, at 2am. And I was arriving a day early!

I did not find the quality lacking on my Alaska trip or my Mediterranean trip. I'm sorry if some people's expectations weren't met, but I'm not seeing a decline in quality. Some of the back office stuff has been a pain in the butt, but the actual trips? The Adventure Guides? Fabulous!

Sayhello

I agree with you Sayhello. The quality of the Germany adventure was great. People ask me to compare trips but you really cant-different countries,everything is different. And the customer service at the front line and with managers helping me rebook the adventure was excellent. The guides were fantastic.I still remember the chocolate bars and stuff they gave me when i met them. They were very aware of what happened. Even with the Austria trip, the guides knew my arrival was delayed.:)

The quality of the AbD guides have not changed - they are fantastic! It's the cost cutting moves by Disney that has impacted the overall quality of the trips. We have seen all the little changes between our first trip in 2007 to our most current trip this year.

For example, at our Farewell Dinner in Paris (Knights & Lights adventure), there was just one accordian player to entertain us. The rest of the entertainment consisted of our Junior Adventurers doing a dance that the Guides had taught them. That was it! For the price of the trip, we expected more.

When we arrived in Paris via Eurostar, we were given a cold sack sandwich for lunch outdoors at the Trocadero. We're in PARIS and the best they could do was serve us a sandwich, chips and soda???

Those are just a few examples of the cost-cutting moves that have affected the quality of the trips. If they lowered the prices, that would be fine. But every year they raise the prices and offer less...

One thing to keep in mind ..the ECONOMY....The Euro has skyrocketed in the last few years in regards to the dollar. The price of oil also as taxes and insurance along with food. We cruise alot and the cuts are evident there also.
Try to go to WDW today on last years ticket price. The only thing that stays the same is change. As stated before the guides are wonderful but ABD just reflect what is going on throughout the leisure industry as a whole.
Check out the cost of air fare today...YIKESSS!:scared1:

I just read this entire thread and my head is spinning right now..

Am I understanding that ABD in an attempt to market themselves with what has the potential to be a great incentive have shot themselves in the foot because once again they have demonstrated inconsistency in their ability to distribute the info?

I cant wait to take another ABD, the guides are tremendous, I really see where they are the ones that make ABD what it is. The back office stuff mainly marketing is doing them a disservice and its a shame.

We have only done one ABD so my expectation is that we will not receive any offer.

One thing to keep in mind ..the ECONOMY....The Euro has skyrocketed in the last few years in regards to the dollar. The price of oil also as taxes and insurance along with food. We cruise alot and the cuts are evident there also.
Try to go to WDW today on last years ticket price. The only thing that stays the same is change. As stated before the guides are wonderful but ABD just reflect what is going on throughout the leisure industry as a whole.
Check out the cost of air fare today...YIKESSS!:scared1:

Tauck, which is comparable to AbD, is offering 2 free hotel nights to dozens of destinations around the world (including Euro countries) and their prices are lower than Disney's.

If you book a Tauck European rivercruise, they are offering $1,500 per person discount on Business Class fares OR a free companion ticket for Coach Class travel. Again, these are countries using the Euro.

Certainly the economy has impacted the travel industry, but Tauck knows how to attract new guests, as well as reward past guests, while Disney does not seem to care about its loyal guests. Tauck has been in business for 85 years, so they've been doing something right!

Tauck, which is comparable to AbD, is offering 2 free hotel nights to dozens of destinations around the world (including Euro countries) and their prices are lower than Disney's.

If you book a Tauck European rivercruise, they are offering $1,500 per person discount on Business Class fares OR a free companion ticket for Coach Class travel. Again, these are countries using the Euro.

Certainly the economy has impacted the travel industry, but Tauck knows how to attract new guests, as well as reward past guests, while Disney does not seem to care about its loyal guests. Tauck has been in business for 85 years, so they've been doing something right!

I have to agree with you and that's why we are looking at Tauck for are next adventure.I took some on-line survey for Disney awhile ago and told them I wasn't likely to do a European trip anytime soon.So I'm not looking for a package from them anytime soon.But the Disney guides we had were super.

Am I understanding that ABD in an attempt to market themselves with what has the potential to be a great incentive have shot themselves in the foot because once again they have demonstrated inconsistency in their ability to distribute the info?
That would seem to be it in a nutshell! :thumbsup2

I cant wait to take another ABD, the guides are tremendous, I really see where they are the ones that make ABD what it is. The back office stuff mainly marketing is doing them a disservice and its a shame.

We have only done one ABD so my expectation is that we will not receive any offer.
It really is a shame that the back office doesn't match up with the product. Seriously a shame!

Sayhello

HappyGrumpy, I didn't get the VIP package either. I did receive the email this time, and usually I don't get them. But the offer is available even if you didn't receive the email. When I scroll down to the bottom of this page (meaning the one your're looking at right now), I see an ad for the Visa Gift Card Offer and you can just click on it and get to the webpage. So you don't need the email, but I know what you mean about inconsistency. I never got the return guest off email last year, when so many others did. Luckily I have this board to let me know what I'm missing.

"Disney does not seem to care about its loyal guests"

I disagree with the underlying premise. What is it that everyone wants?

I don't accept the swipe at Disney that they (whoever that is) "don't care"--the Disney empire has been, and remains, family fun, attention to detail etc.

This goes back to that demand for more--but why? At who's expense? I just haven't seen a lack of detail nor a diversion from the basic principles of Disney quality--and I've enjoyed each and every trip, even with the unexpected events you should expect from group travel. Do you REALLY believe that there lurks within the front office or in the PR section people out to sabatoge ABD? Or that they are somehow unaware of the need to customer loyalty (marketing 101)??

Sorry to vent a little--but come on already!

Well perhaps then you can explain to me why it is that they are sending gifts and VIP status to people who have NOT booked next trips and they are not sending anything at all to those who HAVE booked next trips even though the number of trips is the same or in some cases those who HAVE booked next trips have even more trips than those who have NOT booked. How is that even remotely fair? And why do we sometimes in our trip package receive one of something? We both have to pay full price -- why don't we get two? I agree with you that people expect a lot of Disney -- sometimes absurdly so -- but this situation makes absolutely no sense to me at ALL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter