So, I think I've been "Disney Shamed"...

My husband told me yesterday that a bunch of his colleagues ambushed him at lunch and one from a different department cleared her schedule to crash his meal because she wanted confirmation from him in person:

"Are you spending 2 weeks at Disney World and Universal Studios??? Like. For real?! You could go literally *anywhere*."

I took a deep breath and was ready to defend my Disney mania, when he continued in the same breath:

"I told them, yeah. Why would I want to be anywhere else but there on our anniversary trip?"

I knew I married a keeper. :cloud9: #soproud

Those people should trying going to a ski resort, lol. I've been trying to get into snowboarding and it's sooooo expensive! One day of lessons, lift tickets, and rentals is WAY more than a day at Disney. Don't get me started on the plane tickets & hotel on top of that. I just booked flights to Paris and I'm really struggling to find a place to stay that fits my budget, and I'm the kind of person who stays at the Yacht club if I can. Not rich, I'm just the kind of person who doesn't like the middle road haha. I'm either at the America's Best Value Inn for $40/night or at the fancy hotel where you can bet I'm going to use every amenity.
I use hotwire and got 8 days, flight AND hotel for $842. I picked my hotel based on the ratings. Almost every hotel is a boutique hotel with tiny rooms. It's just the way it is there. Always use hotwire or Orbitz and bundle! But now I go in November so it's the off season as well.

Don't you find though, that it comes mostly from people that never go anywhere? Or people who consider going to visit family in another state their "vacation". I've always figured the jealousy comes from how expensive Disney is and these people simply can't afford it. They don't have a clue about all of our tricks and things that we do to make it affordable. Unfortunately Disney has found a way to close just about every single loophole. AP no longer offers very good discounts on rooms and long gone are the days when you could buy 10 day tickets that didn't expire and use a day here and a day there so that you could go several times in a year if you wanted. For me, it's been the military discounts but I have to be there with my Dad in order to get those. Disney has priced me out and after 30 visits, I'm starting to do cruises instead. Short 3 to 5 day trips a few times a year is for me! If Disney doesn't want my money anymore, then the cruise lines will gladly take it! I'll be going on my 4th for the year next month! You can't beat the prices and not have to worry about spending a penny on the ship if you don't want to. I'm sure there are others out there doing the same. Oh I'll go back to Disney every once in a while but it will be once every couple of years just for a couple of days, staying off property. Last year alone I went 6 times for 4 to 7 days at a time with various different people. After all of the price hikes, I'm out. Foolish on Disney's part if you ask me. Now it's a save up for years kind of vacation and it's time for me to move on. I'm not going to save for years to go somewhere I've been a hundred times. I'm saving for a viking river cruise or something!

I use G Adventures for some international travel. Check it out.

I also go to a national park every year. Every family should do this with or without kids. John Muir was right.

Disney and Universal are extended weekend trips for me. And I don’t go every year. I go when new rides come out.

There isn’t much to explain to coworkers. I love Harry Potter and Star Wars. Why wouldn’t someone want to ride a Harry Potter ride?

Then I show them a YouTube video of a ride, and they’re sold.

Yes. My attitude is my money my vacation. I enjoy a good theme park.

Plus going to Europe, the beach or a national park is getting to be just as expensive. I just went to Washington DC in June. I don't even want to discuss how much the hotel costs per night. Luckly my travel agent/sister worked hard a got a really good deal.

I use hotwire and got 8 days, flight AND hotel for $842. I picked my hotel based on the ratings. Almost every hotel is a boutique hotel with tiny rooms. It's just the way it is there. Always use hotwire or Orbitz and bundle! But now I go in November so it's the off season as well.
I'm going in April (it's when I found super cheap flights). I first looked at Hiltons because we have points, but they're sooooooo many points & in less than ideal areas. I normally avoid Hotwire (outside of going to Disney lol) because I like being able to change/cancel, but I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet for Paris!

Just ignore them. I'm 23 and go to the parks pretty much every week usually by myself. I stay on property all the time by myself too. If that's where you want to go don't let anybody tell you otherwise my dude. It's YOUR vacation, not theirs.

"Oh, I'll be on vacation next week."
"Where are you going?"
"I've got family in California." (true, but I have no intention of seeing them this time!)

"Oh, I'll be on vacation next week."
"Where are you going?"
"Florida."
"Are you going to Walt Disney World?"
"We're going to see Kennedy Space Center! I've always wanted to go there." (true, but that's one day there and six days at WDW)

It's not hard, people.
:lmao: This is hilarious. LMAO! I've actually done this as well. Although lately when people ask where im going i simply reply "Florida". And leave it at that. If they ask where in Florida, i say Orlando and leave it at that. Lol! Its funny watching their reaction when i dont offer information about my trip. Some do ask what i'll be doing in Florida....thats when i say "oh you know, this and that". Most dont ask though cause they can sense that I dont want to talk about it or give further info.

Been there, got the T-shirt. They should mind their own beeswax. Most are from people who have never been and have no idea of how great Disney is for adult and solo vacations. I was talking to a neighbour about this last week, she wasn't judgemental, just curious as to what I do at Disney, she knows I do precious little at home and when I said how just strolling around WS on a lovely evening or eating out are big treats and there are not many places I can do that safely as a solo traveller she understood. But, she is the exception.
Just ignore them at the end of the day.

How can you feel shamed for doing something that you love? Shaming is just a different word for jealousy to me. Haters gonna hate. I agree that most of these people have never been to the parks/world, many that I know, it's because they don't have enough self control of their finances to save enough to be able to afford it.

I've been going to WDW since it opened, ain't nobody gonna shame me for what I love.
:tink:

You are in good company as you can tell from all of the post's on the subject. God created Disney for only a select few, he gave the rest of them other places not as magical.

So now for us Dinsneyites lets all take a trip down to our happy place.

"Please stand clear of the doors...Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas."

Welcome aboard the Walt Disney World Express Monorail, our Highway in the Sky to the Magic Kingdom. For those of you standing, please hold on to the handrails throughout our journey and stay clear of the doors. For the comfort of others, no smoking please. Thank you.

We are circling the Disney-created Seven Seas Lagoon. Rising from the Magic Kingdom on the opposite shore is Cinderella Castle. You can also see Disney's mountain range, Big Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain in Frontierland and Space Mountain in Tomorrowland.

To the right hand side on the shores of Bay Lake is Disney's Wilderness Lodge, which captures the spirit of the National Park Service lodges built in the west during the early part of this century. Also on Bay Lake, you can enjoy a natural setting at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground. More outdoor recreation can be found at River Country, Disney's version of the old-fashioned swimming hole.

We are entering Disney's Contemporary Resort, where on the Grand Canyon Concourse, you can start your day with Chef Mickey's Character Breakfast. For a panoramic view of Walt Disney World, the California Grill, located on the 15th floor, offers an exquisite array of fine dining experiences, with each meal prepared on stage, as a specialty of the house.

While your group is together, now is a great time to pick a place to meet if you become separated in the park. Should you become separated, stop by City Hall on Main Street U.S.A. for assistance. Guest Relations at City Hall can also help you plan your day, make dining arrangements or provide a special guided tour of the Magic Kingdom.

In front of the Magic Kingdom is Disney's Walk Around the World, a pathway that will eventually stretch more than three and a half miles around the Seven Seas Lagoon. Each stone in the pathway commemorates the name and year of an individual guest visit or an entire family vacation at Walt Disney World.

Ladies and Gentleman, we're approaching our station at the entrance to Main Street U.S.A, gateway to the seven themed lands of the Magic Kingdom. If you're standing, please hold on to the handrails and stay clear of the doors until the Monorail stops completely and the doors open. Ladies and Gentleman, this is the Magic Kingdom Monorail station. On behalf of the cast of the Walt Disney World Resort, we'd like to welcome you to the Magic Kingdom.

Ladies and Gentleman, please collect your belongings and watch your head and step. Please assist small children by the hand. Once again, we hope you enjoy the Magic Kingdom.

LOVE THIS!! Thank you and please have a Magical Day!

I travel to WDW at least twice and sometimes three times a year. Often solo. People "ambush" me all the time to ask about it: "Really? Disney World again?" "Didn't you just go there?" "I don't think I could go alone. Don't you get bored?"

To me that isn't "Disney-shaming" and it isn't an "ambush". I don't think they are haters. People are curious. To most people a long (over 5 days) WDW vacation is something one does once every three to six years. To some people that's a once-in-a-lifetime vacation. When they meet someone who travels there regularly they are curious. If YOU feel some shame then it could be considered "shaming". I don't feel any shame at all for my vacation choices and I'm happy to share my experiences and reasons with people who ask. Then I ask them about where they love to go.

It's all perception. You can see it as shaming or "haters-gonna-hate" or intrusive; or you can see it a people are interested in you.

I travel to WDW at least twice and sometimes three times a year. Often solo. People "ambush" me all the time to ask about it: "Really? Disney World again?" "Didn't you just go there?" "I don't think I could go alone. Don't you get bored?"

To me that isn't "Disney-shaming" and it isn't an "ambush". I don't think they are haters. People are curious. To most people a long (over 5 days) WDW vacation is something one does once every three to six years. To some people that's a once-in-a-lifetime vacation. When they meet someone who travels there regularly they are curious. If YOU feel some shame then it could be considered "shaming". I don't feel any shame at all for my vacation choices and I'm happy to share my experiences and reasons with people who ask. Then I ask them about where they love to go.

It's all perception. You can see it as shaming or "haters-gonna-hate" or intrusive; or you can see it a people are interested in you.

I've found this to be true as well. Some of the "shaming" label is because I'm prepared to be judged about my choices. But in some cases, they're just genuinely curious why you go to WDW so often. And once they accept that this is your "thing," they will admit their own "thing" that they do a lot of that others don't understand.

I can tell my sister has to try very hard to not roll her eyes (I know her so well, I pick up on even the smallest movement of body language) when I start talking about Disney. Her gripe is that it’s all contrived and “fake.” What’s ironic is that she’s a drama teacher! She teaches young people how to put on the best performance/show they can. That’s exactly what Disney is—it’s a show in which the people who pay to attend actually get to participate!

She’s never been to Disney World (and was too young to remember when we went to Disneyland as children). And, vacationing isn’t a priority for her budget. Having a big, beautiful home and the very best food and supplements, etc., are priorities, and that’s her choice, of course. I’m positive my life would better if I ate grass fed beef. I’m also positive that I need my vacations to be about letting go and having fun, and I’m guaranteed that with the Mouse!

I so want to share the excitement and fun with her, and fantasize of one day whisking her away on a fun sister’s trip to show her. But then, what if she doesn’t like it? Nah... I think I’d rather take my daughter or husband, who both love WDW magic!

It does hurt a little to not be able to share this side of me fully with her, but not enough to overcome the fact that Disney is the fun, non-threatening, laid-back, exciting, energizing, amazing place that makes me feel like a young, carefree kid again!

I've been there with everyone here but honestly I think I get it less for Disney than for everything else.

I'm the 'toy expert' certified. I've been working in toys/video games retail all my life. I also collect them because how am I going to know all the details of the new dolls or games if I don't own them, right? Then I married another toy collector and slipped into sci-fi geekery with him. I've been an avid Marvel reader since I was knee high to my mom, I have weird pets, I'm genderqueer, I have an art degree. In short NOTHING I do has ever been considered mature by my family. I used to dwell on this, now thanks to the hubs I just let it go when they comment. What I consider mature has always been helping others, treating people with respect, paying your debts when owed, and taking care of responsibilities. The family has stopped trying to remold me to their standards and if a friend would 'shame' me for going to WDW without kids then they probably won't be a friend for very long. 8-)

Oy vey......I've lived with this for roughly 10 years (longer if you include when I was a kid). Listen to this (this is a little rant, I'm sorry) :

First my dad, who went to Disney twice when I was younger, but because we went in July the last time he went, he swears up and down that it's always too hot, it's always too crowded, it's always too expensive no matter when you go. He literally DOESN'T BELIEVE ME when I tell him you can get discounts on rooms, tickets, etc and get decent weather if you know where to look. He goes "There's no way you can get a discount, that place would never let that happen, and it's always too hot, you couldn't pay me to set foot in those parks ever again..."

Then you have one of my brothers, who after my last trip to Disney (in 2010), literally told me "Well THAT was a waste of money, should've used it for something else...I don't know what you were thinking.". He says he has no desire to go because he's in that group that assumes the 1-day base ticket price that the media always shouts out is always that and never discounted. As in if you go 10 days in the parks, you're spending over $1000 on the tickets, which we ALL know is simply not true. (my dad is also in this group, go fig). You try to explain how it works and they don't wanna hear it. :furious:

Then to top it all off, you have my sister and her family, who went JUST a few years ago, and she also went there with her husband for their honeymoon, saying it's too expensive and you can't ride anything because of the crowds (they went during Spring Break, which I warned them would be busy). She even has a daughter, my niece, who has a severe peanut allergy, and was impressed that the chef in each restaurant came out to go over the menu with them for said allergy, and yet she STILL says it's overrated.

I just visited family in PA a couple of weeks ago, which my sister and brother came from NJ to visit as well, and my cousin and her daughter (along with a couple other family members) recently came back from a July trip to WDW for a dance performance. My cousin and her daughter loved it. They're already planning to go back in 2021. My sister, my brother in law AND my brother proceed to tell them, "Oh, why do that? I mean you've been to Disney once. You can move on now. When you've been there once, you've seen it all. Try somewhere else! It's loads cheaper!" and when my cousin and I tell them about the skyliner and all the new rides and stuff coming (she stayed at CBR), my brother in law goes "Oh, how much does the skyliner cost per ride? Because I know Disney, and NOTHING is ever free there. Probably $10 one way..." and we tell them it's free, and they literally DON'T believe us and tell us that we're just being idealistic. I mean we have a little 9 yr old girl sitting right there in the conversation holding her Stitch plush that she got at Magic Kingdom, and they're bashing Disney like there's no tomorrow and saying it's a waste of money in front of her. :sad2:

It bothers me, because those of us in my family that love Disney know how it all works, we know the discounts, we know the right times to go, we just get it. We try to tell the other half of our family the tips and tricks we've learned, and they ignore it all, and then complain about things they could've clearly avoided had they just listened. Then they have the nerve to borderline INSULT us and act snobby when we say we're going to Disney. I'm just grateful that I live close by to my other brother and his family that are DVC members and love Disney to death, and my cousin and her family up in PA love it too. The rest of my family? It's almost like a civil war at this point. I won't even tell them I'm going for my birthday in Feb next year, because I know what they'll say, and for my birthday trip even? I do NOT want their negativity bringing it down at all. :upsidedow

and sorry for the mini-novel. This topic just brings out a lot for me lol

Honestly, I haven't favced it from others though sometimes I shame myself 😅.

In all seriousness, I still feel a little uncomfortable doing character meets or being solo in the parks. But the solo time & character meets are so much fun I don't let that slight discomfort stop me from getting the Disney experience I want. And that should be the way it is: vacation how you want, not how others want.

I was not exposed to DW much as a kid, on a Florida trip we went to Magic Kingdom for a couple hours and that was it, I didn't know there was more than 1 park until probably my 20s. If the topic of DW ever came up I thought of it as that horrible place you are forced to take your kids to just once in your life and hope you get through it. I probably learned that from adults in my life at a young age.

So I think it's easy to see how that mindset can spread around to people that aren't educated on what DW really has to offer. I even went into our first trip still assuming it would be the one and only time we go there. We were back a year later, and DVC members a year after that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter