• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

So Six Flags is the cleanest park in the world, not Disney?

I unfortunately had the "privilege" of having season passes to Six Flags Great Adventure last year, but NEVER AGAIN!! :scared1:

Everything about the place is absolutely disgusting, from the overflowing trash cans, garbage and general stickiness on the ground and floors, the for-some-reason wet seats on the rides (sometimes with stuffing spilling out of the some cushions), the unkempt employees, the dirty costumes of the those sad "characters," and ...

I have to speak the truth ... many of the guests. (sorry if I'm rude, but the New York / New Jersey people on this board can vouche for me). :eek:

can't wait to go "home" to disney :hug:

:goodvibes

I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to say it! The people that Great Adventure attracts are not the best family-friendly place to be. I'm in my early twenties and I don't even want to be around the type of people that are in the majority in GA.

And WHY are the seats wet?? It's completely gross.

It's so sad that GA is in such horrible condition. It's such a good location for a theme park.

Finally, is it just Great Adventure or all 6F that they started to have advertisements all over the place? I was there last year and realized that there are advertisements everywhere even on the sides of buildings. It kind of turned me off to see an advertisement for hair spray in the middle of a theme park.

I've never been to Six Flags, but the locker thing seems like way overkill to me! on ALL the rides? that's just ridiculous. I go to Cedar Point in Ohio a few times each summer because it's only a two hour drive away, and they only require lockers on two of the biggest coasters (I think it's because they're the ones that get the most use. I'm not entirely sure). And it's like $1 to rent a locker. Usually my friends all put in a quarter and we stuff all our bags in one locker. For all the other coasters that don't have storage room at your feet (or if you're worried about things falling out!), they have storage bins with numbers and your particular car has a designated number spot to put your bag in. Obviously you wouldn't put anything valuable there, but it gets the job done. And Cedar Point is a pretty clean park, but definitely not up to the Disney standard!

Whoa boy. I grew up in southern Cali and we have a Six Flags Magic Mountain out there.

Last time we went was 3 years ago, and the park was looking run down and areas of it were dirty. Parking was expensive and they no longer allowed you to leave the lot and repark later without charging an extra fee (thus thwarting attempts of people trying to leave the park for a cheap lunch or dinner). I can't even imagine what the line situation for the rides must be now that they sell front of the line passes. I've also been warned by relatives not to go to the park during holidays or school vacations because gang members frequent the park during those times.

And the food there was over priced! There were McDonalds restaurants in the park that charged $10 (I kid you not) for a kids Happy Meal! And they had the nerve to list McDonald's meals over $10 as "value meals". The lines for all the counter service parks were loooooong too, and there was NOTHING healthy served at the park at all.

When my husband commented to me that our old 6 Flags was declaring bankruptcy, I told him, "I wonder why? Could be it be that they never clean their park and they have overpriced food?"

And are ALL the parks now charging for lockers? I'm going to be really mad if they do...last time I went to 6 Flags they had free cubbies in the loading areas next to the rides! I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $1 for a locker for each ride. Now that I've been warned I'll definately be wearing cargo pants or shorts so I won't be charged for carrying a tiny purse.

I've been to Disneyland and Disneyworld, and I can honestly say, Disney parks are the cleanest by far, even with their staff reductions due to budget cuts. And at least I can find a decent meal nearbye.

:laughing:Last time I was at a Six Flags (last August) it certainly was NOT WDW. The kid rides needed a paint job and the landscaping was, well, NOT WDW

We went to Six Flags Great America several times when we were first moved to the Chicago area in 1999/2000 and quit going because it was gross... and, honestly, we didn't feel terribly safe there. But then last Labor Day weekend, we took a family trip out there and it was really a lot better. I'd actually consider it pretty clean. Of course, it was a private night, so the safety issue and such wasn't a concern. But the actual park was spotless. The bathrooms weren't bad. The rides looked nice.

My one HUGE complaint is the price of food. I'm used to inflated theme park food prices, but theirs are absolutely ridiculous. It cost us $50 (!!!) for 3 hamburger meals - 3 hamburgers, 3 fries, 3 drinks. But as far as the clean thing goes... they did have an employee whose only job seemed to be to run around cleaning off the tables as soon as anyone was done eating and before the next guest sat down in the outdoor seating areas. I've rarely seen that at Disney outdoor counter service areas. I usually have to knock off the crumbs from the last family and then have a seat.

My first exposure to 6F in a very long time was this year at Six Flags over Georgia. I don't know what the other people are talking about. Maybe it's because I don't have all the baggage from years past but my experiences are very different. I have been six times this year during all hours and I found the park to be clean and family-friendly. No roving gangs of teenagers, profanity, and garbage. Every time I have bumped into someone, everyone says "Sorry" even those "unruly" teenagers. Every worker has a shirt that says to keep the park clean and I think they have been making a very honest and effective effort at doing just that.

The main differences between 6F and WDW was the metal detectors at the entrance and a much more visible security force and the fact that it is a ride park. I had heard that the company that bought Six Flags a few years ago was working hard on cleaning up the parks and my experience with SFoG indicates they were successful given all the horror stories I hear about it. Sure I think it is sleazy they no longer allow you to put your bag on the other side of the ride and instead charge $1 to hold it every time you want to ride. Rides that don't have lockers (yet) still have the cubbies. I also think it was sleazy of WDW to absolutely gouge guests with stroller rental price increases.

The counter service food costs at Six Flags are even higher than WDW, especially drinks, but they seem to have a larger selection and for better or worse, mostly known fast food chains. Since it is a local park I don't really need to eat there and if we do we buy the absolute minimum to just make it through the day.

Oh come on, none of you DF'ers can be objective about 6 Flags.

Just kidding, 6 Flags sucks.

I will say, at Great America they have a 2 for 1 deal (about 28 per person), which is pretty good. A season pass is $75. Wait a minute, they are charging $15 for parking... oh that's general parking. If you want a spot up close then it's $25!! Want that fast pass and it'll cost you an additional $27, but you can also buy the Gold "Flash Pass" for $54. I just did a quick calculation and it would cost about $260 for a family of 4 just to get into the park (with the 2 for 1 deal, regular fast passes and up close parking).

I don't see where 6 Flags is any cheaper than WDW.

I dont know about other parts of the country, but the SF has THE most annoying commercial playing in Massachusetts. That old timer with the glasses has made me cringe just as much as the other guy they had the year before.
More flags! More fun! Six flags! :headache:

I would love to make a deal with SF: You stop playing that commercial, and I will consider going to the park.....actually cancel that, I dont want to risk any catastrophic injuries. The last two times I went to six flags, the roller coaster was stuck, one time the people were upside down. The fire department came.

I have been going to Six Flags New England annually since way back when it was still Riverside :lmao:

I have never had a problem there and will likely continue to return, but it is hardly the cleanest place. Most of the major attractions have gum stuck somewhere in LARGE quantities and it is quite gross, and back in the days of Riverside the one coaster that went upside-down sometimes had the occasional wet seat :mad:

I have been to the one in New Jersey and Atlanta as well and they simply cannot compare, definitely disappointing. I am starting to believe that I have a nostalgia mask on in terms of enjoying Six Flags New England so much. Regardless, it doesn't even come close to comparing to Disney/Universal in any way shape or form.

As a side note, does anyone else thing their 'More flags more fun' slogan is pretty dumb? It makes me want to open up a park called '7 Flags' just to spite them

I loved Riverside! It seems that it went downhill though before it was bought by SF and the last times we went, it wasnt as good. The turn off for me was seeing people stuck upside down. The first time the coaster got stuck was when it was still Riverside and the Black Widow got stuck, the second was SF and it was the newer coaster that went upside down, i cant remember the name (Superman?) but I was in line to ride it very excited, then all of a sudden it stopped and people were hangin upside down.

I loved Riverside! It seems that it went downhill though before it was bought by SF and the last times we went, it wasnt as good. The turn off for me was seeing people stuck upside down. The first time the coaster got stuck was when it was still Riverside and the Black Widow got stuck, the second was SF and it was the newer coaster that went upside down, i cant remember the name (Superman?) but I was in line to ride it very excited, then all of a sudden it stopped and people were hangin upside down.

Mind Eraser.

I was never there when it was stuck so I guess I never went through those problems. The one time I went to Six Flags NJ I got stuck on Rolling Thunder wooden coaster for 2 hours...it sucked.

I agree that Riverside was better and had slight decline near the end, but there are still some welcome additions since the purchase.

I just googled "cleanest theme park in the world" and Holiday world stuff came up first. We go there every year but havent' been to a six flag since I was little so I don't have anything to compare it to. Fun park and it is clean and the free soft drinks are awesome but it doesn't compare to Disney!!

There is NO way Six Flags is the cleanest. I've mentinoed it a few times on the boards but the last time i went to Six Flags Great Adventure in October will definitely be my last. From the minute we walked in the park I was grossed out. All of the rides looked worn down and not kept up. They were all faded from sun damage and the signs were all faded and peeling. Then towards the middle of the day we started noticing all of the rollercoasters that have the overhead shoulder restraints had GROSS and disgusting grime on all of the headrests where your ears, neck, etc touch the restraints. I couldnt get out of that park fast enough. Not to mention the garbage cans overflowing and trash all over the park.

I used to complain that disney was so expensive but I will honestly happily pay the crazy prices just to have the disney magic and clean park. I honestly won't miss Six Flags at all if they have to close down due to the bankruptcy filing.

And to the posters that mention the lovely guests at 6F Great Adventure? I hate to say it but i couldn't agree more. I didn't think normal manners was THAT hard to abide by but... yet again...I'd rather pay the extra money for Disney.

Ok so it's not the cleanest but I still really like to go and so do my kids! Let's face it we all can't go to WDW all the time so it's nice to have something close even if it's not as great but that just makes me appreciate WDW even more!

Since this thread has little to do with Disney theme parks planning, I've moved it to the Theme Parks Community board. :)

I live 15 minutes from Six Flags Great America. We used to get season passes every year back when you could get a reasonably priced annual parking pass, but it's so expensive to park there now that we stopped going regularly. I haven't been this year (and don't plan on going); when I was there last year, it was a LOT cleaner than it had been a few years prior, and there seemed to be more families and fewer teenage gang members there, but calling it the cleanest park in the world is comical.

Regarding the lockers, at least the last time I was there you could wear a fanny pack and they won't make you take it off. I used to take a backpack, but once they put in the lockers and wouldn't let you take a purse or backpack onto the coasters, I switched to the fanny pack. I have a fairly large one that holds everything I want to take - no issues.

Well, this seems to be as good a place as any to take out my frustration. I have not been to a 6F in about 5 years, but this weekend we went to Sea World in San Antonio.
I was very proud that I had found 2 day tickets at the price of $43.99, the same price as discounted 1 day tickets. I think gate price is something over $50 for one day. The park website states they open at 9am. We arrived at opening to see that parking was $15! :scared1: The other option... preferred parking, $20. They do not allow food or drinks in the parks and do not give cups of water. A bottle of aquafina is $3. Anyway, we get inside & none of the attractions are open! You can check out the Clydesdales, sharks, and penguins, or you can feed the dolphins for $5. Lockers are $12/ day, or .50 each time you open them by the rides. We did not get to visit the water park area because it reached capacity & I understand it was the 4th, but what I did not understand was why all the areas of the park merged into one 20ft wide path right past the fountain at the front gate. You could not get through the huge crowd of people trying to go in or out & there was no one there trying to organize the traffic. Once we finally made it through that small space, we were free to roam the area of the park we were in with no congestion. It was the most disorganized mess, & I felt like Sea World cared very little about how much fun we had as long as we gave them our money.

The last time I had to go to Six Flags was 2 years ago, so I don't know if the cleanest park claim is now true, but I know it wasn't then! My kids are all old enough to go with friends now, so I don't have to "enjoy" the lovely gum wall and weed garden that acts as landscaping (or is it theming?!):lmao: for the Batman ride anymore!

OMG you've got to be talking about SF St. Louis! :rotfl: It's so sad, when that Batman coaster first opened it was my first experience with awesome "theming" for a ride - first the park with the recorded birdsong, then the skeezy underbelly of the city, then into the sewer...

Yeah, that police car crashed into the fire hydrant fountain was super-cool when it was new and I was ten...now it's a sad rusted-out shell, the park side and the 'mean streets' side look equally skanky, and weeds and gum are the main decorations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter