• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SOLO: A Chunkymonkey Story - June 2018! NEW 8/23 Last SOLO Moments THE END - Final VLOG posted!

Sucks when long work weeks prevent me from being here as much as I want to. Ah well.... pg. 3 is where I'l have to plant myself ;)

Your roots run deep on pg 3 though!

My very favorite "snack" possibly? in ALL of WDW right now. YUM!

Yum! Another vote for this baked mac and cheese :)

This is possible?

We shall see.

I think you'll enjoy it. It's a pretty resort.

I know I will! I love POFQ and Riverside looks more...stately?

Disney Springs for certain! Take the time to shop all you want! Solo trips are perfect for spending more time on those things that your travel partners are usually less interested in. For example, on my mini-solo trip last yer I did more character interactions since my DH is usually not interested on only willing to wait around for me to do a few of them I also rose Star Tours several times in a row (he's not big on repeats and gets a bit motion sick on simulators). I went on it's a Small World so I could enjoy the nostalgia without him being bored brainless. Are there any foods that you love that he (your hubby) doesn't care for? Find a restaurant that specializes in that and go indulge. (My hubby is allergic to shellfish so when I am without him and going out I almost always go for shrimp or lobster).

Haha the main thing that me and my DH doesn't agree on is the shopping. Usually he'll go to a park while I go to the Springs. so Springs will definitely be on the list especially since I'm gonna be so close.
My DH and I usually like all the same foods and rides, even small world. Oh he doesn't really do Figment so I will ride that myself as usual. He doesn't like the skunk part. :laughing:

OMG! My hubby and I love Up! and I was not aware of this! Totally adding it to my September itinerary! :-)

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I know there was one at the dump shop of figment :lovestruc your plans seem awesome and I like how you do backup plans depending on what you think you will feel like at the moment.

Ah yes, Figment!! I'll add that to the list. I have to google the rest probably. :thumbsup2

OK Everyone need your help on this:

Should I switch my first night stay to Pop Century from POR Riverside? I didn't see Pop rooms when I booked last week but today I see some preferred rooms available.

I would save like 80 bucks that night, granted I won't have a "royal" room but I will be in a preferred room at Pop which I think means a refurbished room?

The Royal room sounds amazing and I'd like to stay in one eventually but the 80 dollar savings can't be beat. I'm only in there from about midnight - 9am probably, so not that much time to enjoy the room.

I only have 2 days to decide which is when I can cancel my Riverside room. Hmmm. What would you do? #undecided

Last edited:

Should I switch my first night stay to Pop Century from POR Riverside? I didn't see Pop rooms when I booked last week but today I see some preferred rooms available.

I would save like 80 bucks that night, granted I won't have a "royal" room but I will be in a preferred room at Pop which I think means a refurbished room?

The Royal room sounds amazing and I'd like to stay in one eventually but the 80 dollar savings can't be beat. I'm only in there from about midnight - 9am probably, so not that much time to enjoy the room.

I only have 2 days to decide which is when I can cancel my Riverside room. Hmmm. What would you do? #undecided
Would you take the ease to Disney springs into consideration? I can’t remember if you’ve done the boat ride to Disney springs from POR or POFQ. It’s pretty relaxing. We had the same dilemma as well for our trip and decided on POFQ so we could concentrate on Disney springs and the beignets in POFQ cafeteria. (But you might be staying at Saratoga which is so close to Disney springs right?).

Should I switch my first night stay to Pop Century from POR Riverside?...What would you do? #undecided

I'd stick with POR - partly, I'll admit, because I hate making phone calls, and wouldn't want the hassle! One of my greatest moments of relief is always when the resort is booked, and I can stop second-guessing myself...But a more practical reason is your plans for the next morning to walk around the resort and over to POFQ. - Plus, is your DH really going to want to stay in a royal room some other time?

(That said, if he does want to stay at POR sometime, but would hate POP, I might switch and spend the morning taking cool pics of all the big icons instead of getting the beignet.)

Soooooo….. I did an online chat with a Disney Cast member last week to ask if all of the rooms at POP have been refurbished. She said all except the preferred rooms were finished but they should be in the next month or two. Hope that helps with your decision?

Would you take the ease to Disney springs into consideration? I can’t remember if you’ve done the boat ride to Disney springs from POR or POFQ. It’s pretty relaxing. We had the same dilemma as well for our trip and decided on POFQ so we could concentrate on Disney springs and the beignets in POFQ cafeteria. (But you might be staying at Saratoga which is so close to Disney springs right?).

Usually I would but since this is just for my arrival night it won't really matter how close I was to anything. I am really just deciding out of convenience to the bus stops, and the room design. I like that it'll be close to my beloved beignets, but is it worth 80 dollars more? I'd really like to stay in the Princess room though, LOL, but I'd also like to stay in a renovated pop room!

I would keep the Riverside reservation due to the closeness to Disney Springs and food options.

Thanks! Another vote for POR! Although I will be moving to Saratoga Springs after the first night so it won't really matter that I'm close to the springs since I'll be heading straight to a park the next morning.

If it was for more than one late night, I would definitely keep POR, however with the short stay I would save my $80.00 for my food and drink budget!:thumbsup2

That is my dilemma! 80 bucks is a lot of starbucks...hahaha.

I'd stick with POR - partly, I'll admit, because I hate making phone calls, and wouldn't want the hassle! One of my greatest moments of relief is always when the resort is booked, and I can stop second-guessing myself...But a more practical reason is your plans for the next morning to walk around the resort and over to POFQ. - Plus, is your DH really going to want to stay in a royal room some other time?

(That said, if he does want to stay at POR sometime, but would hate POP, I might switch and spend the morning taking cool pics of all the big icons instead of getting the beignet.)

If I had to call, then yes I'd probably be lazy and keep my reservation, but I think I can cancel this one online and rebook online which is nice.
I actually think my DH would not mind staying in a princess room. He likes it when the decor is very themed so that it's not generic. I am torn! I think it'll be a fun room to spend a night in though. Should I treat myself? :P

Soooooo….. I did an online chat with a Disney Cast member last week to ask if all of the rooms at POP have been refurbished. She said all except the preferred rooms were finished but they should be in the next month or two. Hope that helps with your decision?

That is good to know! I actually thought all the preferred rooms were renovated first, like at CSR. This actually would not make me want to move to pop. I think I can get a standard room, but I know they are going to stick me in the farthest room ever and at 12am walking to my room I would probably curse myself for not booking a preferred room, haha. Thanks for the info! I might have to stick with POR.

Hmmmmm....

If you're only there from midnight - 9am, then the actual resort doesn't really matter, does it?
I'd save the $80.
A preferred room at Pop means you will be nice and close to the food court and Classic Hall.
If you're wanting to get to your room quickly (or have a shorter haul away from it) then a Preferred room is the way to go.

Hmmmmm....

If you're only there from midnight - 9am, then the actual resort doesn't really matter, does it?
I'd save the $80.
A preferred room at Pop means you will be nice and close to the food court and Classic Hall.
If you're wanting to get to your room quickly (or have a shorter haul away from it) then a Preferred room is the way to go.

I'm just joining…I saw you had started this and swear I thought I joined in already, but I wasn't feeling well so who knows what the heck I did :sad2:

Sounds like a fun SOLO trip, and I love your PTR title :rotfl:

I vote for switching to POP since you will literally be in the room for 9 hours. POP is my go-to value resort and you can't beat the food court. Plus, being in a preferred room, you'll be closer to the main buildings and the bus stop.

I stayed at Pop once and really didn’t care for it, but if really only there from midnight to 9am, I’d probably switch. So many ways you can spend that $80! Your plans sound great. Hit Tambu Lounge while you can... it’s closing for a few months in early July to get completely redone. The dessert party sounds fun. I’m so excited for your trip!!

Should I treat myself? :P

In light of this:

That is good to know! I actually thought all the preferred rooms were renovated first, like at CSR. This actually would not make me want to move to pop. I think I can get a standard room, but I know they are going to stick me in the farthest room ever and at 12am walking to my room I would probably curse myself for not booking a preferred room, haha. Thanks for the info! I might have to stick with POR.

- probably.

Even though I love POP:love:, you're not going to be seeing much of it in the middle of the night. (And I love POR, too - it's just so pretty and peaceful!) It sounds like you won't get both of the things you want at POP (proximity and a renovated room) at once, whereas the royal room will feel really special after a long day. So I'd go with the "principal of least regret" here. - Which will you regret more/longer: spending the money or giving up the royal room?

And here is the result of the Austrian jury .......... Pop vs POR/royal room - if I was staying for just one night I would go with Pop. First off - savings, especially since you arrive late. Second, POR his quite a big resort. Rreferred should put you close to Main Building, so dinner/breakfast should not be that much of a pain to get too, versus POR can be quite a hike. Royal Rooms are in the mansions, so that would be a bit away from the main building ...... and at night, thanks, but no thanks. But this is only me. Looking forward to find out what you are going to do. ;)

Yay for Dismeets!
And...as much as I'd love a Royal room...I'd go for Pop. If you don't get a preferred so you get a refurbed room (they are NICE) just fax in a room request for the corner of the nearest non preferred building. We stayed in the 80's section last fall and I honestly didn't think the walk to food court or busses was bad. We were further at from main building at All stars - and that was without the extra food option at AoA (I loved Pop!)

$80 gets an awful lot of snacks or couple extra cocktails at Nomad...:D

OK Update on Resort Selection:

Thanks everyone for providing your insights. You all made some great and valuable points.

So I have been going back and forth and I did more research online, to find out specifically what buildings had the renovated rooms and which did not. The 90's, 80's, 70's and 60's have apparently all been completed and only the 50's are currently under refurbishment. So therefore, I have come to the conclusion that a Preferred Pool View (which is all they had out of the preferred rooms), would basically guarantee a refurbished room since on the description of the Preferred Pool View it states: "
Rooms facing Hippy Dippy Pool " - which I believe is in the 60's section. I hope this intel is correct!

Therefore, I HAVE made the switch to Pop Century from POR Royal Rooms. I'm leaving the the royalty behind, but like you all said, it's only for a few hours, and I can just spend that money on....everything else! If I don't end up with a refurbished room I'd be very very sad though. :sad:
I will do a fax request for a refurbished room regardless.

So, it's also my first stay at POP - anything unique I should have for breakfast because I can't get beignets? :laughing:

Thanks everyone for the help...I will stay in a Royal Room one day. Those Genie faucets are calling my name. Maybe if I go with my sister on a sisters trip - that would be the perfect place.

Last edited:
PTR Update 6/3 - Changes to Plans

So I already made the resort switch, and now I'm switching days around. So I decided that since I couldn't find a Mama Melrose ADR on Sunday that I'd switch my DHS and Epcot days. So here's the new plan:

June 8th - Arrive in Orlando 11:30pm - Take ME to Pop - hopefully I don't have to go to the front desk, just straight to the room. Crosses fingers for a refurbished room close to transportation!

June 9th - Check out of Pop and have them transfer my stuff to Saratoga Springs. Should I grab breakfast at Pop? I will head to DHS where I have late morning-afternoon ADRs for Star Tours, Toy Story and Muppets. My lunch/dinner is at 3pm, then after that I will go to Epcot and catch the next GoTG Awesome Mix show. I'll see what rides I can get on in Epcot, or just walk around World Showcase then maybe catch Illuminations at 9pm, or try and go on Soarin' as the line dies out during the fireworks. If I feel like it, some shopping at Disney Springs (although Mousegears has always been one of my favorite stores IMO and I can usually find so much stuff in there anyways). If I go to Disney Springs, I think I can walk back to Saratoga Springs, although will have no clue as to where my room will be LOL.

June 10th - I'll start my day in Epcot. I think I'll grab breakfast at Sunshine Seasons. I believe I have FP for Character Spot, Spaceship Earth and Soarin'. Then I'll probably do standby for Mission Space green and LWTL, Figment. Maybe walk around the shops in WS a bit. head to either AK for or DS for lunch - I think it'll depend on what same day FP I can get. Then that evening, Maybe I'll swing by one of the monorail resorts...I was thinking of going to Top of the World for a drink and appetizer - because now that we're DVC I can go! I went once last year when my lovely DISboarder friend took us up there but now we can go ourselves. Anyone want to join me? :) Then I'll walk over to MK for some Peoplemover and the After Fireworks dessert party.:thumbsup2

June 11th - I'll start by checking out of Saratoga Springs and storing my luggage with bell services. Then I'll head to MK. I have some morning FP at BTMRR, HM, and PoTC (new redhead scene!) - I'll see what else I can do in the park. Not sure how crowded it will be. DISmeet with @Monykalyn then I'll decided what to do next based on what I did the day before. So I'll head to DS if I didn't do so already, and AK if I did. ME will probably pick me up around 6pm so I'll probably have to leave wherever I am by 5pm.

I like this plan much better now that I'm not going back and forth between Epcot and DHS on the same day, especially since the friendship boats are not going to DHS (they are doing some work on the bridge area near Swan and Dolphin). Luckily I was able to find most of the same FP+ so it wasn't a big deal. Either way, aside from my Mama Melrose ADR and the post fireworks dessert party, I don't have anything else booked so I can change things as I feel like it. Let's just hope it's smooth sailing next weekend (i.e. no flight delays, no weird weather patterns, and an FoP FP+ opens up :P).

Hmmmmm....

I'd save the $80.

Yup - although I'd prefer a refurbished room over everything. So I booked a preferred room and hoped it would be refurbished. As my research has told me, they SHOULD be refurbished.

Another vote for POP especially since you will have such a late arrival! $80 is $80!!!

Thanks!! That's why I was so torn. I did switch to Pop as you see :)

I would switch. You are only going to be there to sleep and $80.00 can be put towards goodies at Cherry Tree Lane!

Yes!! Good point! More shopping is always good. :)

I'm just joining…I saw you had started this and swear I thought I joined in already, but I wasn't feeling well so who knows what the heck I did :sad2:

Sounds like a fun SOLO trip, and I love your PTR title :rotfl:

I vote for switching to POP since you will literally be in the room for 9 hours. POP is my go-to value resort and you can't beat the food court. Plus, being in a preferred room, you'll be closer to the main buildings and the bus stop.

Thanks!! Great to see you here! I ended up switching and I hope I get a refurbished room. :)

I stayed at Pop once and really didn’t care for it, but if really only there from midnight to 9am, I’d probably switch. So many ways you can spend that $80! Your plans sound great. Hit Tambu Lounge while you can... it’s closing for a few months in early July to get completely redone. The dessert party sounds fun. I’m so excited for your trip!!

Thanks! I have made the switch to POP and I hope it's the right choice. Either way, I'll be at Disney so all should be good plus an extra 80 bucks in my pocket doesn't hurt :)
Thanks for the tip on the Tambu lounge! Hopefully I can find some time to have a drink or some bread pudding :)

Even though I love POP:love:, you're not going to be seeing much of it in the middle of the night. (And I love POR, too - it's just so pretty and peaceful!) It sounds like you won't get both of the things you want at POP (proximity and a renovated room) at once, whereas the royal room will feel really special after a long day. So I'd go with the "principal of least regret" here. - Which will you regret more/longer: spending the money or giving up the royal room?

So after doing more research it sounds like I should be getting a refurbished room AND a preferred room, so I'm hoping all the information I read is correct because I have switched to POP! If I wasn't going to get a refurbished room I would not have switched. I like pretty rooms :)

And here is the result of the Austrian jury .......... Pop vs POR/royal room - if I was staying for just one night I would go with Pop. First off - savings, especially since you arrive late. Second, POR his quite a big resort. Rreferred should put you close to Main Building, so dinner/breakfast should not be that much of a pain to get too, versus POR can be quite a hike. Royal Rooms are in the mansions, so that would be a bit away from the main building ...... and at night, thanks, but no thanks. But this is only me. Looking forward to find out what you are going to do. ;)

Thanks Austrian jury!!
I did not know the Mansion rooms were far away. I was looking at the maps of POR and I can't really tell how to get form the main building to the mansions, to me they looked pretty close but since I've never stayed there I don't know. I know that POFQ is a much smaller resort and I'm more familiar with their layout. Either way, I have switched to POP because it looks like I'll be getting a refurbished and preferred room based on my online research so let's hope this is the case :)

Yay for Dismeets!
And...as much as I'd love a Royal room...I'd go for Pop. If you don't get a preferred so you get a refurbed room (they are NICE) just fax in a room request for the corner of the nearest non preferred building. We stayed in the 80's section last fall and I honestly didn't think the walk to food court or busses was bad. We were further at from main building at All stars - and that was without the extra food option at AoA (I loved Pop!)

$80 gets an awful lot of snacks or couple extra cocktails at Nomad...:D

Thanks for the help!! And you're right, the 80 bucks is a lot of drinks and snacks and pretty much covers the dessert party. From what I can tell the preferred pool rooms are in the 60s section and I heard that building was supposed to be finished so fingers crossed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter