• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Solo Holiday to Disney World

MrTomTom

Earning My Ears
Hello all,

I have been on holidays to Disney World many times growing up with either family members or a past relationship but unfortunately now my family members cannot travel due to health reasons and I have been happily single for 2+ years now. I have realised during the pandemic that what I really need to be able to look forward to is another trip to see Mickey.

My question is... would you recommend that I, a 28m, a highly introverted, a very Northern UK based singleton should take the plunge and go by myself? Would this be strange? I was wondering if there was anyone else out there who is in/ who has been in a similar situation and how they found their trip?

Any advice and thoughts are very welcome :)

Thanks

Hello all,

I have been on holidays to Disney World many times growing up with either family members or a past relationship but unfortunately now my family members cannot travel due to health reasons and I have been happily single for 2+ years now. I have realised during the pandemic that what I really need to be able to look forward to is another trip to see Mickey.

My question is... would you recommend that I, a 28m, a highly introverted, a very Northern UK based singleton should take the plunge and go by myself? Would this be strange? I was wondering if there was anyone else out there who is in/ who has been in a similar situation and how they found their trip?

Thanks

I have always done WDW with my partner and now I have a son on the way so will probably never be able to do this...

But I think it would be great! Dine where you want, spend your time as you wish, no possible disagreements on what park to visit on what day or whether to have a resort day etc..

I don't see how you could have a bad time at WDW alone, as a couple or with a party of any size.

Go for it!

I didn’t grow up going to WDW, my first trip was when I was 30 taking my own kid. Since then, I’ve been able to go a few times as a family, now with 2 littles in tow. It’s not my husbands favorite place to be, so I’m currently planning my first adult only trip with a friend for 2021. If it hadn’t been for stumbling on this site, I’m not sure I would have ever considered a solo trip either. It was just never a thought that I’d have to think a solo trip as a possibility. Truthfully, I love the idea and think you should go for it. Even though my kids are still little, I don’t think a solo trip is totally off the table for me either. I think I’m going to see how the adult trip goes and how much guilt I’ll have for not taking the kids, but that’s not to say I can’t plan more trips with them in the future too.

Hi! I was supposed to go to WDW for the first time (first solo trip too) back in June for my 30th birthday but sadly it had to be cancelled for obvious reasons. I'm now booked for June 2021 (solo trip) and I can't wait! I'm basically in the same boat as you MrTomTom: happily single, introverted, Canada-based and loves Disney! I've only been to Disneyland with family before and never travelled alone. But I really wanted to try a solo trip to break out of my shell ( a solo trip is on my bucket list haha) and I figured Disney World is the perfect bubble! It sucks that all my planning hit a sudden break because my trip has to be postponed but I very much look forward to 2021! I received a lot of great tips & advise from this site/community and it really boosted my confidence to by myself. Cheers!

While I am not in your same demographic (I'm a late-30s married mom of two teenagers from the mid-southern US. I'm one of those extroverted introverts who easily talks to anyone I meet, although part of that stems from social anxiety!), I am always highly encouraging of a solo visit! I have trip reports in my signature of the two I've taken - well, my most recent last June was semi-solo, a friend did join me for the last couple of days. I will do other solo trips in the future. It's nice to do whatever you want to do and those trips are the most relaxing Disney vacations I've ever had. Aside from our last family trip on NYE 2018/2019, we are usually go-go-go when we're all there together. I have learned to slow down over the years, though!!

I am also from the north (ish) of England, but a little older, and I was also lucky enough to visit Disney several times as a child and teenager. I've just booked my first solo trip for next February for the Princess half marathon weekend, and I'm really looking forward to many aspects of the trip (too many to mention that have already been mentioned many times in these threads).

Is it because you are a man travelling solo to a place full of children and families that you are hesitant? A few years ago my nephew's dad joined us later in the holiday and he was grilled at MCO about why he would be travelling alone to Disney world. But beyond that, I can't see why it would be a problem. If you're embarrassed or concerned about people's reactions during your trip, just tell a little fib (my friend is unwell/tired/we've fallen out etc), as you're unlikely to see people again if you're just chatting to a stranger in a queue. If you feel uncomfortable, try a split stay so people don't 'notice' you're travelling alone.

I know that feeling of desperation to visit WDW, which is why after several years away I've taken the plunge to join the 10K and make an solo 11 day trip out of it. I say go for it if it's what you really want to do. Life is too short, as many people have sadly found out recently.

Also from Northern UK (well Northern England) here, currently 35 year old married female but I prefer to travel to WDW on my own. My husband isn't a huge fan so will only go once a decade :tongue:

I never traveled as a kid (grew up poor) and my first time to WDW was when I was 31 with my husband. I went back 2 years later on my own and it was the best 9 days of my life. I was supposedto go back on my own next year but I've decided to push it back to 2022 now with the current situation but i cannot wait!

So yeah, do it!

Edited to add: I'm an extreme introvert as well.
Edit

Hello all,

Thanks
Hello all,

Thanks
I am an introvert also, and I absolutely LOVE my solo trips to WDW. Everyone else is so busy having fun that very few notice you, unless you want to chat with someone in line, or on a ride. With your British "accent" you could be very popular! The only thing I am uncomfortable with is eating by myself. So I rarely do sit-down dining in restaurants. Instead I do quick service food and find a quiet table to eat and people watch. I have done 8 solo trips now, and look forward to my next in December. Have fun!!!

The only thing I am uncomfortable with is eating by myself. So I rarely do sit-down dining in restaurants.
I have dined alone a few times at places no one else wanted to eat (during family trips). I didn't feel totally relaxed in the Plaza, but felt better in Yak & Yeti because I had a window table and could just people watch while eating. The best for me as a single diner was Sci Fi Diner as I was just engrossed in watching the screen and eating. Sometimes I just don't know where to look if there's nothing to watch, I don't want to just stare at my phone, and I certainly don't want to stare at other diners so outside dining (e.g. Via Napoli) or window tables are best in my opinion.

Next year I want to eat breakfast in the West Wing in BOG so I'm going ot bite the bullet and do it because I just love the surroundings,

Last edited:
I think the idea of solo traveling sounds great. You get to set the schedule. There will be no need to wait for anyone else to get ready or keep you in the park if you want a break. Also, if you feel like meeting someone for a change you can always post your dates on the Disboard and meet up with others,

I’m also a super introvert, not one to strike up conversations with strangers and I love my solo Disney trips so much that a little part of me is always a bit disappointed when my family joins in. Table Service dining was uncomfortable for me at first but I persevered and now enjoy it.

Other than the introvert thing we couldn’t be more different. I’m 60, from south Louisiana, female, 40 years married and my kids are older than you! I first went solo because my DH dropped out of a non-refundable trip. I thought it would be awful but I had the best time doing exactly as I pleased when I pleased. That was 13 years ago and I’ve never looked back. I even took the plunge and traveled solo to the UK last year.

Of course you should go! If I didn't have someone I wanted to go with who also wanted to go, I'd definitely go solo. If you love WDW 10% as much as I do, then you need a trip to WDW. And you don't need anyone else's permission. Do it. You'll have a wonderful time. Guaranteed.

I have visited WDW solo over 10 times and actually really enjoy myself. I do what I want and can change my mind based on the feeling that day. I agree it is more fun to share a vacation but I am not a big fan of more than 4 during a trip since you just can't please everyone and you wind up waiting for them more than spending time with them. It is also really easy to dine solo and take advantage of single rider every time.

Hello all,

Thanks
I have spent 120 plus days/nights at WDW over the last 10 years. Most of the days (100) have been with friends or my significant other. However, I have one trip (stayed at Pop Century) and parts of other stays (Grand Floridian Villas) approximately 20 days alone. I have never felt out of place or lacked for things to do. I took the food tour at Magic Kingdom, high tea at GF, and a garden tour at EPCOT when alone. Being alone is a different dimension and way to explore different aspects of the parks for me. I sat go for it and have a great time.

I've gone solo over 30 times. I'm sure it will be different now because part of the fun for me was meeting new people and now that most likely won't happen with all the social distancing.

But I'm still planning on going in September at the moment - solo for 4 days with someone for 2 days. I do everything I want - take pictures, get snacks, shop. I've done several tours solo and loved them. Hoping to get a tour in September that was cancelled but I saw they are starting to take reservations for tours again so I'm hoping that is one that will be active and that I can get it back.

I say go for it if you can.

I've never down WDW on my own but last year I did 8 days travel by myself in Japan including doing Tokyo Disneyland solo and loved it! It really allowed me to take in all the intricacies of the park and appreciate things I may never have noticed had I been preoccupied with family/friends. While I wish more rides would have had single-rider options to speed up the process, there really wasn't anything I could complain about.

As long as you're already comfortable doing things solo (e.g. travel, going to eat, going to the movies), I don't think you'll have a problem!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter