• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Solo travelers using Mears?

Babyfatt

Mouseketeer
How many solo travelers out there using Mears bus tranportation to and from MCO & WDW?

Does anyone going solo use a towncar instead even though it cost a lot more?

I'm trying to decide if I want to stay with Mears or not.

I used Mears last July alone and it worked out great... HOnestly, I think its better used ONLY with 1 or 2 people, becuase of the layout of the van and such. It would be a pain to have a whole family, I think.

I didnt have to wait long, and we only had 2 stops before mine, so no biggie.

My last few solo trips, I've splurged on a towncar. I'm spoiled. It's nice to get into a private car rather than riding with a bus load of screaming kids. They also pick you up later for your return trip, which gives you at least an extra hour on your last day.

I always get the grocery stop. I figure that I save quite a bit of money by buying snacks and breakfast items so that pays for the bulk of the price difference between Mears and the town car.

Karen

I've done it both ways, and I'd just as soon use Mears. Used to use Mears, then I heard about the Town Car and decided to splurge. The first time I came down the escalators to see my name on a card was so exciting. But after a few years, last December I decided to try Mears again to save money for some "December WDW" activities. No problem! Once the novelty of the Town Car wore off, I was more than happy to use Mears again and now expect to stick with Mears. I was more than happy with the service.

Forgot to mention one thing I really enjoyed about Mears-talking with other passengers-"Where are you staying?" , and people who've never been to WDW before. Last trip I met a lovely couple on their honeymoon. When people find out you've been many times, they want to know about resturaunts, what's FP, etc. Love meeting the fellow passengers!

The one time I used Mears, I had a total travel nightmare. (90-120 minute delay, involving a packed bus, screaming children, 90 degree weather, and switching busses by walking on the shoulder of the interstate.) It's highly unlikely that lightning would strike twice, but never again. :)

I've done both. I really preferred the towncar, but it's a tough decsion because of the extra cost.

Deb

Last year, I went to WDW with my dad and stayed at the CBR. Anyway, it was the end of June and seemed like it took a long time for them to call our name to board a bus. Our plane landed at 3:00 and we didn't get to the CBR until almost 4:30PM. Yikes!

Our return trip to the airport was fine. There was no hassle. Even though our pick-up time wasn't until 7:00, a driver was more than willing to take us back at 5:00. We were tired.

Anyway, I think it depends on the time of year. If it's peak season, I would definately recommend the town car.

Also, you can always take the Town Car there and return back to the airport using Mears.

Last Nov. I used Mears transportation and found it perfectly fine. I walked up to the bus which was already mostly full and only had about a 10 minute wait at best. We were all adults in the van and I was the second to last stop (stopped at 4 different hotels before mine). The entire trip was about an hour and 15 minutes. People were excited about their trips and many conversations were going on and the time went by quickly. My return trip was easy as well and only lasted 30 minutes. The van arrived on time and my hotel was last on his list (picked up about 6 people at my hotel). I didn't have a problem with Mears.

Now if I could afford to spend the extra money to take the towncar, I probably would because of the grocery stop.

I have went Mears both with family and solo. As Aimeedyan said it's better solo in that you only have to worry about yourself getting a seat in the van. As it fills it is harder to get seats all together if you are not one of the first on the van. No doubt the town car is a much nicer experience, the price and service of Mears was fine for myself.

I've used Mears on solo trips and it's not too bad. I've had some good & bad experiences, but for $25 round trip, it's doable. My longest wait at the desk was 45 minutes and my longest ride was an hour & 45 minutes. A towncar is good for a group of people, but to spend like $100 or so on one for a solo, is just not worth it to me. I'd rather spend that on some nice sit down meals.

I have done it both ways.Most of the time it is DW and I. If we are staying for period of time say longer than 3 days we use a towncar and do a grocery stop. Solo I have a hard time justifing a towncar unless I need to do a grocery stop. I have been the last person dropped off in Mears as a solo. I found it depends on my mood the moment I get into the van as to how well I do. If I have been overly hassled with the flight and getting luggage I have less tolerance than if everything went fine. Justifing the cost is a personal thing. It has to do with your budget overall and if you feel going from $25 with the van to $100 for the car there and gone and can sleep a little later for your flight back.

I find the towncar cost prohibitive for one person, especially for a short trip (you can't buy enough groceries to make up for that).

do you have to pay extra to do a grocery stop in a towncar, or is it included in the round trip cost?

Ashes8380 - The towncar services usually offer a complimentary grocery stop of 30 minutes - included.

Last month, I used Mears both ways. But, there were times that I felt Mears from MCO was so slowww.

So, once, I rented a car from National for one day, and since I joined the Emerald Club, I was able to pick a car and go.

The following day, I returned the car at the Dolphin resort, very easily. At the end of the trip. I made arrangement for a Mears pickup back to the airport. I don't mind the trip back. It's the trip to WDW that I hate waiting for Mears.

I plan on doing the one day rental again in November. I stay one night at a resort, moving into DVC the next day. I also will make a trip to Publix before returning my rental, so that works out nicely.

I have used Mears for the 4 trips that DH and I had together, and for my 5 solo visits. As long as I arrive to Orlando early enough ( about 10 am ) Mears is fine for me. I would not get a Towncar unless I was rolling in money - which I'm not. LOL

I've never had a problem with Mears on my solo trips. The last trip I took, they had those beeper things so I could wait in the air conditioned airport until they were ready for me. I used the time to check in at home and move some things that I wouldn't need in the parks out of my backpack and into my checked bag.

I did Mears bus system once...........I will never put myself through that again. It is well worth the money to take a towncar. Within a short period of time you are at the resort and ready to go while those that took the bus are still on the bus listening to screaming kids and really starting their vacations off on a bad note.

Whatever you decide.........have a nice vacation

My first 2 trips to WDW with hubby we did Mears. The first trip not too bad, the 2nd trip too 2 hours and 4 or 5 resort stops. We swore never again!

Then we started doing the towncar. It is not that much more for 2 and if you count in the grocery store stop for water and breakfast items, you can save enough to make it worthwhile.

When I travel solo, it is a pure indulgence! I often travel after work and arrive into MCO 10:00 or later. I love knowing I will have a driver waiting for me and that I will get to where I need to be quickly. And the added perk of having help with my luggage.

It is an indulgence though for one. I do stop for water and soda and some basics. It is nice to have these things with me.

Good luck deciding!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter