• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Solo travelers using Mears?

Originally posted by BriarRosie
Last month, I used Mears both ways. But, there were times that I felt Mears from MCO was so slowww.

So, once, I rented a car from National for one day, and since I joined the Emerald Club, I was able to pick a car and go.

The following day, I returned the car at the Dolphin resort, very easily. At the end of the trip. I made arrangement for a Mears pickup back to the airport. I don't mind the trip back. It's the trip to WDW that I hate waiting for Mears.

I plan on doing the one day rental again in November. I stay one night at a resort, moving into DVC the next day. I also will make a trip to Publix before returning my rental, so that works out nicely.

Yes, I have often found this the way to go as well. I usually rent a car the first night, and either do Mears or Towncar return.

Having a car the first day is great - I know the area well, so I can stop where I need to, then can cruise around Disney the first night as well. Last trip I splurged and spent $40 instead of $25 and had a convertable for my first night down - I took a lot of great pictures from that car (safely, of course!).

The drop-off is very convenient at the Disney resorts as well - the Dolphin as well as the car care center. I don't know for sure, as I haven't done it, but I believe you can pick-up from those locations as well. I've been entertaining that idea for my next trip - getting a car for the last day so I can do early check-out, spend the day at IoA/USF, and then fly home late that night.

With kids, I'd say rent a car the whole stay - it's just easier and kids like familiairity when they are tired and cranky - but with audlts and solo travelers it can be worth it to selectively rent instead of/in addition to transfers.

N.E.D.

I've done Mears van and Tiffany Towncar. Had awful experience with Tiffany Towncar. My last visit I didn't get a chance to go online and reserve Mears so I had a long wait getting it after I flew in.

I'm going in August and considering Mears Towncar only cause it will be faster I believe getting to my resort. Mears van does have to drop off at other resorts and you might have an initial wait upon getting to the airport.

Mears Towncar is cheaper than Tiffany Towncar so I think I'm going to try it out. Wish me luck! Ely

I haven't used Mears, and I don't ever intend to. I've used similar shuttle services in other cities that go from the airport to a group of hotels. Invariably I'm one of the first in the van and have to wait for it to fill. And then invariably my hotel is the last to drop off. Add screaming kids and it's just too much! I love the ease and speed of a towncar and so it's totally worth it to me to splurge. When I take a late flight I'm tired and I just want to get to my resort quickly and safely. When I take the early flight I'm ready to go go go! The only alternative I would consider would be a rental car, but the cost of even the two day rental (one day on either end) and the time involved in picking up and dropping off don't justify not going with the towncar for me.

I almost always visit my mom in Cocoa when I go to WDW. I rent a car from National to get to my mom's, then drop it off at the Dolphin. Then I take Mears back to the airport. No problems with Mears, and I like saving money.

I'm a newbie. Who is Mears? Is there a timetable for Mears? Is this the complimentary transport company if you stay at a WDW resort?

There isn't any complimentary shuttle service to WDW. Mears is the recommended (by Disney) service. I don't believe they have an actual timetable. It is my understanding that they wait until the van is full and then leave, making stops at all the WDW resorts. On your return you can schedule a time.

What do they charge to go from resort to theme park or park to park? Is there a fee schedule?

I believe if you make your reservations for a shuttle or towne car online beforehand you're likely to get on faster than going to the desk once you have arrived at the airport. At least the last time when I didn't do prior reservation I had a long wait while others who had flown in with me (and going to the exact same WDW resort) got rides quicker than myself. In the past I've always prereserved and had no problem and very minor waits. Ely

Originally posted by cjeong
What do they charge to go from resort to theme park or park to park? Is there a fee schedule?

You would not use Mears to go from resorts to theme park (unless you were going from a WDW resort to Universal or somthing like that). Mears would be used to get from the airport to your resort. Once you are on WDW property then you would use the WDW busses to make your way around property. If you needed to go off property, that's where Mears could come into play.

B'rer Karen, thank you for your help.

I haven't found any information up till now that really explains how to get around. I'm confused! Can you clear my mind? :confused:

Mears can transport you from airport to resort or WDW to Universal or outer areas (and you have to pay for this)?

And the transport in WDW (eg bus, boat, monorail) can only take you from park to park, or resort to park within WDW - is this correct? Who runs this? Is there are charge? Are there time schedules for this?

I'm trying to decide best place to stay - on-site or off - without the hassle of transport.

Would love any advice.

Hi! I'm not Brer Karen, but I'll try to answer your questions. I'd recommend staying onsite if you can (usually more expensive-but I think it's worth it). It's so much easier to get around. There's no schedule for transportation, unfortunately, but buses seem to come every 15 minutes or so, more often at park opening and closing. And there's no charge for any of the onsite transportation if you're staying on site.

I agree with Simba's mom. To break it down for you:

1) It is your responsibility to get yourself to your hotel from the airport. You can do this via shuttle, taxi, car service, your own car, or a rental car. There is no free servcie

2)To travel within the WDW Resort there are multiple free transportation methods: bus, monorail, and boat.

3)To travel outside of the WDW Resort you would again have to handle this yourselft via a shuttle, taxi, car service, your own car, or a rental car. There would again be a cost for this. Of course if you are using your own car or a rental car you have it for your whole trip so you're not paying on both ends.

4) Basically the disney busses run every 20 minutes or so. They start an hour prior to the park's opening and an hour after. For Downtown Disney I believe they run starting at 9 and end at 2 am, although the Marketplace stop is closed after midnight. For the resorts with boats (OKW, SSR, POR/PFQ) there are schedules for the times they run to DTD but I don't know those off the top of my head. The monorail runs to Epcot and MK Again I believe it runs an hour before opening and an hour after and they probably run every 10-15 minutes or so.

5) The transportation within WDW is run by Disney and yes it is free.

Hope this helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter