Some Enchanted Christmas PTR

Thank you DDW, I feel very blessed to have her so that makes 2 of us. :goodvibes

Sister's dementia means she can know something one minute yet not know it the next - it's odd. We have talked about this trip a few times and when we do I say I will do my best to sort it. I have asked her what she wants to do on the trip and she says "see Mickey." I asked if she'd also like to see Santa and she says "yes, and Mickey." When I ask where she would like to eat she says "dinner with Mickey." :rotfl2:

We are going to visit family in Spain in the next couple of weeks and I want to get that trip over before talking too much about this one so she isn't too confused. I especially don't want her to think that is the Disney trip and be disappointed when we get there and she finds it isn't. The highlight of the Spanish holiday is always a day trip to Benidorm to see the dolphins at Mundomar. The highlight for me is some horizontal time on a lounger in the sun while uncle Jay entertains sister. :cool1:

I ordered Brave and Nightmare before Christmas from Amazon to watch with sister to prepare her for Merida and Jack & Sally meets. They arrived today so we can watch them at weekend. popcorn::

aww that's awesome, im trying to get my partner to sit and watch some Disney films with me before we go, but he's a man, he wants to watch boring man things haha

ohh she will love the dolphins, that will be great for her. My auntie had dementia, one minute she was all with us, the next she would ask our names etc.

Give our love to your sister at the weekend, and give her a big hug from Jonah xxx

Aw thanks Rachael. :hug:

I am officially amazed - I sent a message to the Disney Store UK on their website quite late on Wednesday evening asking for a "Going to Disneyland" certificate for sister for our December trip. I'd read about these on TA forum.

I got a lovely e-mail yesterday morning saying they had received my request and passed our details on to the castle. Also wishing us a magical time. :cool1:

Today when I got home from work there was a big envelope addressed to sister and I peeked inside and it was the certificate in a beautiful gold envelope - with Princess Sister on the front. :banana:

Mickey Mouse is bloomin efficient - could teach a few people a thing or two. :rotfl2:
I have these for the boys :love::love:
They are great aren't they !!
Your going to have the best time ever I'm sure :hug:.
Will be reading along all the way ;)
Xx

aww that's awesome, im trying to get my partner to sit and watch some Disney films with me before we go, but he's a man, he wants to watch boring man things haha

ohh she will love the dolphins, that will be great for her. My auntie had dementia, one minute she was all with us, the next she would ask our names etc.

Give our love to your sister at the weekend, and give her a big hug from Jonah xxx

Thank you so much DDW - hugs back to lovely Jonah from us. :grouphug: xxx

Busy time ahead for you, lovely to have a wee trip to Spain too. The dolphins sound fantastic :goodvibes

I always try to watch Nightmare Before Christmas, especially as we're going during Halloween, but I can never get to grips with it - is it just me :confused3

Look forward to hearing more, but is sounds like you're pretty much there :thumbsup2

I haven't seen it the whole way through - just bits and pieces from it. :blush: Will tell you what I think when we've watched. :rotfl:

Christmas room? Certificate from the castle?? My plan is to watch what you do and follow suit!

You sound so lovely doing all this for your sister and she sounds fab with all her Mickey requests.

Yay you found me. :)

If you are in a standard room at HNY you can pay extra to have it decorated as a christmas room. Think it's £97. Unfortunately there were no standard rooms left for our dates so we will be making our own Christmas room.

And if you want a golden certificate to surprise your DH and / or DS with the trip you can ask them to send you one on the "contact us" section of the disneystore.co.uk site. It's really lovely.

Did anyone see this item on facebook? Keep clicking next to scroll through photos.

https://www.facebook.com/381132755176/photos/pcb.10154625804855177/10154625802800177/?type=1&theater

Apparently they have redecorated some HNY rooms as a tester for when the complete renovation starts. I've seen a couple of sets of photos on different sites and looks like room numbers 1173 and 1175 have both been redecorated. A little bit of research on Tripadvisor suggests these are Plaza rooms and are interconnecting.

I might be a bit cheeky and ask if either of these rooms is available when I e-mail the hotel before we go. Think the bathroom looks very nice indeed.

I found you!

I think we've got a plaza room too. I don't know if I'll have enough luggage space to pack Christmas decs as I was hoping to just take hand luggage. I may have to rethink that now.

I'll email TDS and get one of those certificates thanks. I can wrap it up with DH's present for his birthday. I'm trying to think of how to give it to him so that's perfect thanks.

Good plan on emailing re the newly decorated rooms. Fingers crossed you get one.

I am bringing one big spinner case between the 2 of us - have sorted it with the airline that it will be ok. Think it will be easier than 2 smaller bags with the wheelchair. Fingers crossed.

The certificates are lovely - it will be addressed to Prince DH :cool1::rotfl2:

I would so put in that request for one of the new rooms. A nicely worded email the week of your trip is advisable! Had a look at the H&M site and found it hard to navigate it looking for tops but the PJs are fab! Thanks :thumbsup2
I'[m off to email the disneystore too :goodvibes

Thanks Kizzy, will do. All they can say is no and we might be lucky. :)

I know what you mean - I struggled to find tops on H&M site - no search facility - but once I found one I got recommendations for others iykwim.

Here are the tops I ordered - shipping is shockingly slow though.

http://www.hm.com/gb/product/30694?article=30694-A

http://www.hm.com/gb/product/32564?article=32564-A

and socks

http://www.hm.com/gb/product/29746?article=29746-B

Just saw this fetching little hat as well ;)

http://www.hm.com/gb/product/36578?article=36578-A

Hope you got sorted at Disneystore. :thumbsup2

Thanks Kizzy, will do. All they can say is no and we might be lucky. :)

I know what you mean - I struggled to find tops on H&M site - no search facility - but once I found one I got recommendations for others iykwim.

Here are the tops I ordered - shipping is shockingly slow though.

http://www.hm.com/gb/product/30694?article=30694-A

http://www.hm.com/gb/product/32564?article=32564-A

and socks

http://www.hm.com/gb/product/29746?article=29746-B

Just saw this fetching little hat as well ;)

http://www.hm.com/gb/product/36578?article=36578-A

Hope you got sorted at Disneystore. :thumbsup2

Im with Julie! Those socks :thumbsup2 and the hat. They are deadly!
Thanks a mill for the links. I maxed out the card today on another new coat for Jem but next week I'm hitting it hard for holiday clothes! Oh and I did get around to emailing the Disney Store and I will have some Disney post very soon :banana: Thanks so much for your help.

Hope the Disneystore sent you some pixie dust invites Kizzy. pixiedust:

The H&M stuff arrived when I was away but a kind neighbour took the parcel for me. I am so knackered after catching up with everyone's TRs and have work in the morning so will be back tomorrow for the next installment. :wave2:

Ok, so we had 10 days in Spain staying with family. Was great in some ways but not so great in others.

There has been a huge change in sister from when we last stayed there nearly 2 years ago and to be honest Aunt and Uncle struggled to cope with the person she is now. Uncle had been great at sitting with her playing games or colouring in but she can't concentrate to do that now. They brought out the big tub of duplo they keep for their grandkids visits but she didn't show any interest. She can no longer hold the sort of normal conversation she used to be able to and they just couldn't cope with all the silences and repeated phrases and questions. I've learned to be comfortable with those and just enjoy being together quietly but they found it awkward.

That's the cognitive differences. The physical changes were just as huge. They live in a lovely apartment at the top of a fairly steep flight of steps. With help sister managed to get up these but there were occasions it took me 20 minutes of gently coaxing to persuade her to let go of the gate at the top and take the first step down. There was a handrail for her to hold and I held onto her other arm the whole way but for some reason she found it terrifying at times. This was exhausting and Aunt and Uncle were frankly bewildered by it.

It was a huge effort to get her in and out of their bath. They don't have a separate shower so I had worked out a safe way to get her in and out of bath but she had to have it explained to her every time I bathed her and again she found this quite frightening. Needless to say baths were not a daily occurrence but in the heat I couldn't let her go more than 2 days without one.

So it wasn't quite as restful as previous holidays but we still had a lovely time. Auntie cooked about half the time and the rest we went out to eat which was nice. After persuading Aunt and Uncle we did our day trip to Sea World and she really enjoyed the Sea Lion and Dolphin shows but she was too afraid to step into the very shallow water to have her photo taken with a dolphin. I found that really sad as I know she had to be very frightened not to do it - it has always been the highlight for her.

I also found the travelling really stressful. I have always been incredibly independent - I found myself a single parent when my boys were just 2 and 3 and I think that made me [and all of us] very self reliant. Well, it is just impossible to get from airport parking to the terminal and through check-in [even with just 1 case] with a wheelchair and not have to accept help sometimes. Don't get me wrong - people were very willing, generous and gracious - I just hate not being able to cope by myself. Ok, so I'm a complete control freak. :rotfl2:

So she won't be back to Torrevieja which is sad but we do have our Disney trip in December. The travelling will still be hard but Disney itself isn't - it is so action packed the time just flies by and so long as we can get to do everything we've planned and eat every day I will be happy. The priority pass then makes everything so much easier too.

So back to the present we met friends for lunch on Saturday at sister's favourite restaurant where I live. Guess why it's her favourite? Sorry - the pic is a bit shaky.

Photos of our Disney purchases.

Bought this lovely Minnie bag in Next's sale.

The H&M order arrived. The PJs and jumper are huge and would drown sister so I will take them. The rest should fit her ok.

This is a really fine knit jumper. I tried it on on its own over a camisole and it's lovely - clings in just the right way - but it's more of an evening top in weight and texture so I'm not sure. Over a black baselayer top it looked ridiculous as it's quite wide necked - might get a polo neck and see what it looks like over it.

These are the huge PJS that fit me.

Sister will love the sweatshirt

Socks

and these PJs we bought in Spain

as well as these lovely Christmas ones

I think we need a Christmas jumper or 2 each as well - have to get back to Primark this week for a look to see what they have.

We also had some lovely pixie dust this week when a lovely fellow DIS member sent sister an amazingly generous Disney goody bag. If she's ok with me doing so I'll post a photo of the fabulous treasure trove on here.

Watch this space. :thumbsup2

Anemone said:
Hope the Disneystore sent you some pixie dust invites Kizzy. pixiedust:

The H&M stuff arrived when I was away but a kind neighbour took the parcel for me. I am so knackered after catching up with everyone's TRs and have work in the morning so will be back tomorrow for the next installment. :wave2:

Totally forgot. Thanks a mill! They arrived last week. I'm delighted with them :-)

I'm sorry to hear of your sisters deterioration in the last couple of years. You work very hard for your sister to enjoy her life and not to be limited in her experiences and it is beautiful to read about your relationship. Lovely that your sister enjoyed the dolphin show too.
Oooh everyone loves pixie dust! That's fab!
Gorgeous purchases too :yay: love the jammies

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter