Speaking of Airline Etiquette - a story from last week

He mustā€™ve kept his chewing tobacco hidden from the crew because any kind of tobacco is prohibited. Yes, that includes smokeless.

I have made men spit it out before. They werenā€™t happy, too bad. Those are the rules.
:confused: Curious - I never would have guessed this. Why is it, exactly? Don't get me wrong; I think chewing tobacco is gross, but it is in no way the same as smoking or vaping. I chew nicotine gum on flights - is that against the rules too??

Iā€™ve seen them all at this point. The drunk guy that they couldnā€™t wake up to get off the plane, the woman who threatened a woman in a burka then proceeded to attack a retired cop in the seat behind me. But the winner was the guy waiting to board a flight out of Atlanta and was taking video of a young woman in a wheelchair who happened to be eating some chicken. He figured she was in the wheelchair because she was overweight and naturally was eating fried chicken. I suppose he thought he would expose her abuse on some ridiculous social media platform. My wife took offense and got in the guys face about taking pictures of this girl(maybe 20 y/o). Well the girl realized what this scumbag was up to ā€¦probably after my wife made a scene. I went to the gate attendants and let them know that the girl was uncomfortable getting on the flight and what had been going on. As it turns out, the girl had lost her leg -hence the wheelchair. She was traveling alone. The scumbag continued to berate my wife, now from a distance, spouting some nonsense -finally I had enough and made a ā€œsuggestionā€ that he stop his ranting. Soon after, the police showed up and hauled the douchebag away. Too bad he never made that flight to Las Vegas ā€¦he missed a real good time!

:confused: Curious - I never would have guessed this. Why is it, exactly? Don't get me wrong; I think chewing tobacco is gross, but it is in no way the same as smoking or vaping. I chew nicotine gum on flights - is that against the rules too??
Nicotine gum, absolutely allowed.

Biohazard for chew? I honestly donā€™t have a definitive answer as to why thatā€™s the rule, but my guess would be that. Because yes, I have been greeted with a spit cup without my knowledge before. :sad2: And as you said, gross. Not to mention how unfair to a potentially innocent person sitting next to him that has to smell and see his spittoon, let alone be hit with it at 30,000 ft during turbulence.

I might be the only person on an airplane at any given time who is actually looking at the safety instructions and following along with the flight attendant's talk.
I almost always the watch the FAs demonstrate the safety instructions, either a live FA or on a video screen. I feel itā€™s kind of rude not to for a live FA, besides, I actually enjoy seeing them go thru their routine.

I get why he put his child next to the window. Neither of my kids would have wanted to sit next to a stranger (actually, they still don't lol).

As for the shoes, I don't like it if a passenger next to me takes their shoes off. Sometimes you can't smell your own stink, if you know what I mean.

The guy probably doesn't fly often. I think people who do fly a lot know the drill and are more respectful of others.

A person that large would have a pretty hard time moving to a window seat and an even harder time trying to get up and move across to get to the aisle. I think we all know that! I don't know what the solution is for people of a certain size when it comes to flying. I don't know what the solution is for people who must sit next to those of a certain size is either. I only know that I have seen people at my gate and have prayed they will not be my seatmate.

A person that large would have a pretty hard time moving to a window seat and an even harder time trying to get up and move across to get to the aisle. I think we all know that! I don't know what the solution is for people of a certain size when it comes to flying. I don't know what the solution is for people who must sit next to those of a certain size is either. I only know that I have seen people at my gate and have prayed they will not be my seatmate.
Just my opinion, and I'm sure I'll get flamed for it... if you know you're going to encroach on the neighboring seat (lets define that as "can't put the armrest down"), you should pay for a 2nd seat. *IF* there are any unsold seats, you get that cost refunded.

Or basically let people book and pay for more than 1 seat. Yes, that could mean a couple pays for three seats and gets an entire row for themselves.

If a passenger "loses" part of seat because a "passenger of size" is encroaching on their space, an FA should be notified, they fill out a form (paper or electronic), and the person encroached on gets a refund for their ticket.

ETA: There would need to be someway to check in and board with multiple seats so the computer doesn't see "hey, this seat is empty, let's put a standby person there".

Last edited:
Just my opinion, and I'm sure I'll get flamed for it... if you know you're going to encroach on the neighboring seat (lets define that as "can't put the armrest down"), you should pay for a 2nd seat. *IF* there are any unsold seats, you get that cost refunded.

Or basically let people book and pay for more than 1 seat. Yes, that could mean a couple pays for three seats and gets an entire row for themselves.

If a passenger "loses" part of seat because a "passenger of size" is encroaching on their space, an FA should be notified, they fill out a form (paper or electronic), and the person encroached on gets a refund for their ticket.

ETA: There would need to be someway to check in and board with multiple seats so the computer doesn't see "hey, this seat is empty, let's put a standby person there".
This actually used to be Southwest Airlines policy exactly. Now the policy has changed to if you encroach on any part of another seat you can get another seat for free, no matter if the flight is full or not. And if that puts the flight over capacity, whoever has the last boarding card gets bumped. When you board, you get a card that labels the seat as being taken for a Customer of Size.
On legacy airlines when you buy a second seat for this purpose it gets put into the system as First 2ndSeat Last so the computer can't put a standby there and it looks occupied on the seat map.

This actually used to be Southwest Airlines policy exactly. Now the policy has changed to if you encroach on any part of another seat you can get another seat for free, no matter if the flight is full or not. And if that puts the flight over capacity, whoever has the last boarding card gets bumped. When you board, you get a card that labels the seat as being taken for a Customer of Size.
On legacy airlines when you buy a second seat for this purpose it gets put into the system as First 2ndSeat Last so the computer can't put a standby there and it looks occupied on the seat map.
Based on that, aside from SW, there should be no excuse, if someone is honest, with "encroaching" seatmates.

Based on that, aside from SW, there should be no excuse, if someone is honest, with "encroaching" seatmates.
Many people's pride won't take the extra seat. My MIL won't, technically I fit the criteria for an extra seat and she's twice the size I am. It's also not a policy that is well known. If it was and was used by everyone that fits the criteria, the policy would be changed very quickly as you'd only see 50% flight loads. Maybe I should take it on my next flight, buy a Business Select Ticket and get two exit row seats for myself.

Many people's pride won't take the extra seat. My MIL won't, technically I fit the criteria for an extra seat and she's twice the size I am. It's also not a policy that is well known. If it was and was used by everyone that fits the criteria, the policy would be changed very quickly as you'd only see 50% flight loads. Maybe I should take it on my next flight, buy a Business Select Ticket and get two exit row seats for myself.
I don't think it's fair to the stranger sitting next to you (general... whoever can't put the armrest down). Of course, then you get into the people with wide shoulders and what constitutes "encroaching", which is why I suggested an FA "validate" the issue. But airlines would probably use that as a "objective" metric when doling out raises, assigning flights, etc. "Oh, FA Judy OK'd a refund on half of their flights and FA Joe hasn't done any. Let's give Joe the raise!"

Yeah, I flew with a buddy last year and his mother-in-law had bought the ticket for him (for a very nice birthday gift trip to Dinseyland!). She actually bought two seats for him, but I thought it was unnecessary. At the gate, Southwest absolutely took care of that, refunded the money and told him how it would be handled.

I have a few friends who fit that description, and have travelled with many of them before. My usual protocol is that we will leave the middle seat empty (as is customary on SW anyway), then if the seat becomes needed, I just scoot over and that passenger wins the aisle seat jackpot! Usually it does not become necessary though and that middle seat is usually a last choice for anyone boarding.

I take my shoes off but I have sock on. I also am fat and spill over my seat, we travel first class now thank goodness BUT when we did fly coach I was not enough of an oblivious idiot to impose on a stranger when I can impose on my own husband who doesn't mind me being really up close and personal :rotfl2:

I am a recliner. I recline my seat. Last trip I was kindly told I was rude and to put my seat up. We were in first class. Get over yourself dude I am reclining so either recline yourself or sit in bulkhead if this isn't enough room for your legs.

I don't think it's fair to the stranger sitting next to you (general... whoever can't put the armrest down). Of course, then you get into the people with wide shoulders and what constitutes "encroaching", which is why I suggested an FA "validate" the issue.
That is exactly my issue, I fit just fine in the seat between the armrests, but my shoulders are wide and according to SW are considered to be encroaching. I don't take the extra seat, I'm usually one of the last ones that people want to sit next to anyway.
I take my shoes off but I have sock on. I also am fat and spill over my seat, we travel first class now thank goodness BUT when we did fly coach I was not enough of an oblivious idiot to impose on a stranger when I can impose on my own husband who doesn't mind me being really up close and personal :rotfl2:

I am a recliner. I recline my seat. Last trip I was kindly told I was rude and to put my seat up. We were in first class. Get over yourself dude I am reclining so either recline yourself or sit in bulkhead if this isn't enough room for your legs.
I doubt that it was that there wasn't enough room for their legs, it was much more likely the recline messed with the angle of their laptop screen. However I completely agree that they were full of themselves. You are using the seat as it was designed to be used.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter