Speaking of Airline Etiquette - a story from last week

Not to fret, it’s shown that most people go into a complete state of shock and freeze up. That’s why the crew is SHOUTING COMMANDS to tell you exactly what to do.

If I can teach anyone anything it’s to leave everything in an emergency. Stuff can be replaced, people cannot. Think of others before belongings. Getting bags takes time no one has in an emergency.
We had to evacuate a Braniff airplane by slide when I was 4. The crew must have done a great job of keeping everyone calm and in line, as I don’t remember being afraid at all.

My memory of that flight is only that it was so exciting to go down that slide into the foam. Of course, my mother’s memory of that trip is slightly different. 😉

My first international flight I was going to Japan at 17 and I was traveling alone. I was put in the emergency exit row in the middle seat as the raft bulged into the window seat on that particular aircraft and there was a very obese man sitting next to me. We realized real quick that there was no way he was going to be able to use his tray table for eating since it couldn't go across his belly. He was nervous and told me he'd go without eating for the flight, but I wasn't going along with that. I moved to the window seat, contorted myself in a way to be able to sit for the flight and he was able to use the middle seat tray table for meals.

OK, I'm going to be bad and admit I don't pay strict attention to the FA safety announcements (sorry @fly girl). Let's see if I have it right...
* Here's how to buckle and unbuckle your seat belt.
* Here are the exits on the plane (usually at least two doors at the front, probably 2-4 over the wings, and possibly some at the rear).
* There are lights on the floor to help point you to the exit, and the closest one may be behind you.
* If there's a loss of cabin pressure, oxygen masks will drop from the ceiling. Pull the mask down to fully extend the tube, put yours on before helping others, the bag may not fully inflate, but oxygen is flowing.
* Lifejackets are in a pocket under the seat. Here's how to put it on. There's a waterproof light that will automatically activate. Pull the handles to inflate, blow into the tube if needed to reinflate. Small sizes (for children) will be dispursed as needed.
* Your seat cushion can be used as a flotation device also.
* There's a placard in the seatback in front of you that goes over all of this also.

Did I miss anything?

When I was only flying MAYBE once a year, I'd pay more attention. I ended up with 99 flights last year.

OK, I'm going to be bad and admit I don't pay strict attention to the FA safety announcements (sorry @fly girl). Let's see if I have it right...
* Here are the exits on the plane (usually at least two doors at the front, probably 2-4 over the wings, and possibly some at the rear).
* There are lights on the floor to help point you to the exit, and the closest one may be behind you.
* If there's a loss of cabin pressure, oxygen masks will drop from the ceiling. Pull the mask down to fully extend the tube, put yours on before helping others, the bag may not fully inflate, but oxygen is flowing.
* Lifejackets are in a pocket under the seat. Here's how to put it on. There's a waterproof light that will automatically activate. Pull the handles to inflate, blow into the tube if needed to reinflate. Small sizes (for children) will be dispursed as needed.
* There's a placard in the seatback in front of you that goes over all of this also.

Did I miss anything?

When I was only flying MAYBE once a year, I'd pay more attention. I ended up with 99 flights last year.

Take off your high heels before getting on the slide.

Yeah, I flew with a buddy last year and his mother-in-law had bought the ticket for him (for a very nice birthday gift trip to Dinseyland!). She actually bought two seats for him, but I thought it was unnecessary. At the gate, Southwest absolutely took care of that, refunded the money and told him how it would be handled.

I have a few friends who fit that description, and have travelled with many of them before. My usual protocol is that we will leave the middle seat empty (as is customary on SW anyway), then if the seat becomes needed, I just scoot over and that passenger wins the aisle seat jackpot! Usually it does not become necessary though and that middle seat is usually a last choice for anyone boarding.
I fly SW often. MKE to PHX and MKE to MCO the plane is usually FULL
I have flown solo many, many times and will always take that middle seat., getting row 2,3,4,5 and NOT paying extra to board early!

Did I miss anything?

Not too shabby. But I will call you out on just a few baby tweaks, and they are extremely nitpicking.

One version of Delta's 757 (75S) doesn't have over wing exits. You said probably and it is probably, except for this version. Mainline will always have rear exits, tailcone on 717. Yeah, I am being a PITA. ;) lol

Lights are no longer on the floor, they are "near the floor" actually, on the seat frame. That is beneficial because if you are dealing with smoke and fire crawling, they will be closer to eye level.

When do you inflate the vest? Upon exiting the aircraft. I bet you knew, but you didn't specify. ha ha ha

Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 6.14.43 PM.png

Not too shabby. But I will call you out on just a few baby tweaks, and they are extremely nitpicking.

One version of Delta's 757 (75S) doesn't have over wing exits. You said probably and it is probably, except for this version. Mainline will always have rear exits, tailcone on 717. Yeah, I am being a PITA. ;) lol

Lights are no longer on the floor, they are "near the floor" actually, on the seat frame. That is beneficial because if you are dealing with smoke and fire crawling, they will be closer to eye level.

When do you inflate the vest? Upon exiting the aircraft. I bet you knew, but you didn't specify. ha ha ha

View attachment 837850
Yea, I did the "probably" because I'm pretty sure I've been on airframes without the over the wing exits.

And I did know about when to inflate the vest, but couldn't remember if it was part of the speech. :rotfl2:

So, if I don't pay attention to the announcement, I'm not trying to be rude, but yea, I know it pretty well. :thumbsup2

Yea, I did the "probably" because I'm pretty sure I've been on airframes without the over the wing exits.

And I did know about when to inflate the vest, but couldn't remember if it was part of the speech. :rotfl2:

So, if I don't pay attention to the announcement, I'm not trying to be rude, but yea, I know it pretty well. :thumbsup2
I know you’re not, just messing with ya!

I mainly listen/read to find know where the lifejackets are (I fly different airlines/planes and it isn't always the same) and the exits (though I just look for these on the plane, not in the video/booklet).

If I can teach anyone anything it’s to leave everything in an emergency. Stuff can be replaced, people cannot. Think of others before belongings. Getting bags takes time no one has in an emergency.
Can you remind me to bring my coat (it’s probably on my lap) before we dive into the Hudson? It is so ingrained in my head to leave everything, that I’ll probably forget 😜

Well shoot, I don't need two seats but if it's available as an option....

Does it work for people who have anxiety sitting next to strangers for long periods of time?

As a person who sits in the middle just about every time my biggest gripe is understanding the unspoken perk which is middle seat gets both arm rests.

I don't have an issue sharing the armrest but it is very uncomfortable when the person either on the window or aisle (if I'm traveling with my husband the other person normally would be sitting at the window) decides to claim the armrests most especially in the middle of the armrest itself forcing my arms in a weirdly constrained way because there's not enough room for my arm now. I'm not going to fight you over it but I do appreciate those who get it :) When I am able to get both arm rests rest assured I'm quite aware of the person next to me trying to make sure I'm not into their space.

Those that don't stay in your lane (I.ie. spread their legs/put their legs over the seating area) are a big no no no matter what seat you're sitting it.

I mean I know lots of ppl. who don't want to sit next to a kid and his kid may squirm a lot, so he may have thought he was doing something better for the other passenger. We are so judgemental.
Of course we "judge" people when they are impinging on our space. Honestly, I'd think something was wrong with someone if they didn't.

Not sure if I missed it or OP didn't mention...So was the aisle passenger able to move to a different seat?

I've been pretty lucky that I never had any major issues w/ my seatmate on the plane...just gross ones like not wearing their shoes walking up and down and including going to the restrooms, or wiping their hands/fingers on their clothing after they eat 🤮🤮🤢 but that's not my problem and they didn't cross any boundaries.

Not sure if I missed it or OP didn't mention...So was the aisle passenger able to move to a different seat?

I've been pretty lucky that I never had any major issues w/ my seatmate on the plane...just gross ones like not wearing their shoes walking up and down and including going to the restrooms, or wiping their hands/fingers on their clothing after they eat 🤮🤮🤢 but that's not my problem and they didn't cross any boundaries.
Yes, he moved to an exit row and paid the upgrade cost. I don’t even think he asked how much it would be. There was no way he was going to last a 5 hour flight with the current configuration.

Yes, he moved to an exit row and paid the upgrade cost. I don’t even think he asked how much it would be. There was no way he was going to last a 5 hour flight with the current configuration.
I would have done the same thing! But I think the other passenger may have done it on purpose like some posters have said, so he could have the whole row. Well...if he did...it worked!

You could've shared the same story without the body-shaming parts. It doesn't really add much to the story - and it sucks (and makes you look bad).

You could've shared the same story without the body-shaming parts. It doesn't really add much to the story - and it sucks (and makes you look bad).
How could he have shared the same story without mentioning the man's size? The man's size was integral to the story - there was only a problem because he didn't fit into a single seat. So, yes, it does "add much" to the story.

As far as I can see, nothing else was mentioned that could be construed as body shaming but possible I missed it and you aren't referring to telling the story without mentioning the man's size.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter