Spending money?

We give my son a set amount for spending on trips too because otherwise he wants everything. With a budget, he is more careful about what he "needs" to buy. If my family had the dining plan, our budget for the week would be under $500. $50 for my son's souvenir budget, $20 or less for DH and I to pick out a magnet or Christmas ornament, which is the only souvenir we buy ourselves on trips, and the rest for alcoholic beverages. I figure 1 or 2 drinks per day, per adult totals $40 or less per day.

This is also what we do, with the exception that I don't drink, so neither does my husband (even though I wouldn't mind if he did!). We're not big shoppers, any of us.

The kids would save up their own money for the trip, and then we'd top it up with a 50 ourselves.

My husband and I would typically get just one souvenir - maybe a hoodie for me, or a golf shirt for him. Something we can use.

Having money in their own hands meant the kids were very careful about picking their souvenirs. They were free to spend it all at once, but they never did. They frequently chose to save their money, getting only a small treat, if anything. We were fine with that - if they didn't buy anything on vacation, the money was still theirs to spend as they liked when they got home.

My mother didn't quite grasp that concept - when she was growing up, she never had any money of her own. So she got quite upset with our son, when he refused to spend all his souvenir money on a trip to New York with her, saying, "But if you don't spend it, your father's just going to take it away from you when you get home!" My poor husband, who never would have dreamed of doing any such thing, was quite offended when our son called home that night to confirm that his money was really his to keep! :laughing:

I don't think you'll need $1000, esp with the DDP. If you've got that saved already, you're golden!

I know, depends on the person, and this has absolutely nothing to do with budget. How much stuff do you want littering your home? And will your kids really be playing with all the stuff they buy 2 months after the trip? If the answer is small house/don't like clutter or "no" then think about some parameters. When my kids were small we'd say something like "we'll buy you one toy and one article of clothing." When my kids were bigger, we'd say, you've got $X to spend on "stuff." Now that mine are adults, they're on their own!

I might also suggest, if you are doing Disney Springs, that you designate a "shopping day/time." We still do that. Keeps everyone from getting overwhelmed and prevents one member of the party from slowing everybody down because she's looking for something to buy.

After you factor your tips for dinner (which for 3 people on the dining plan figure ~$15-20 per meal for your portion x 7 days =$140 in tips. If you want to cover the tip for your friend (seeing she is paying for the room) then figure $25 per TS meal so $175 for the trip. With the dining plan it helps that your QS, TS and snacks are included.

At 11 and 6 years old they should have a good idea on the value of money, so i would actually get your child each a $100 gift card and tell them this is their money for souvenirs - it is plenty for them to buy a t-shirt and few other things. So that brings your amount spent already to $375. So that leaves a good cushion of over $600 -- there will always be snacks at the airport and other misc items but it seems that with your spending money you should be just fine.

Pro Tip, don't get into pin collecting and your souvenir budget can be OH so much lower. :crazy2:
I got into collecting on my first visit when I was 12 and now spend about 100 dollars plus on pins each visit (the LE ones are super pricey).

Pro Tip, don't get into pin collecting and your souvenir budget can be OH so much lower. :crazy2:
I got into collecting on my first visit when I was 12 and now spend about 100 dollars plus on pins each visit (the LE ones are super pricey).

no kidding! Now my kid is into pressed pennies, but its cheaper than pins!

haha so true! Between the 3 of us we probably end up around $150 or so on pins - just depends when we are there and what kind of LE or AP exclusives they have at the time. The Christmas party last year hit us pretty hard!

haha so true! Between the 3 of us we probably end up around $150 or so on pins - just depends when we are there and what kind of LE or AP exclusives they have at the time. The Christmas party last year hit us pretty hard!

I already bought the girls lanyards and pins to trade (from amazon)

We give our kids each a Disney gift card with a set amount on it. That is their money to spend on whatever they want as far as souvenirs. It's a good way to budget and makes them think about what they really want. It also allows them to buy things that I would not be willing to spend money on. Hope you have a great trip!

Past visits we had gift cards for the kids, but this recent visit in November we allowed them to put charges on their own Magic Bands. It's so much easier than having to use the gift card and worrying about them losing it. I just kept track of their purchases and helped them think through how much they are spending. They are older now and I actually like that they learned that just because they can "charge it" doesn't mean it's a free for all. There's a bill to pay at the end!

Sigh and I was going to suggest she get online and buy lanyards and pins and trade with the CM's. My girls already have 200+ pins and a lanyard each. Now I go agree with you on buying pins there. I buy one each trip with the year on it.

$1000 is more than enough. I definitely agree to give the kids a set amount. You may even want to put theirs on a gift card. When it's gone, it's gone. It will help them- and you! It is easy to get caught up in the excitement. We aren't big "stuff" people and I even tend to want, want, want! We wait until the end of the trip to buy.
I agree with the gift card idea!! I usually buy these for my older kids so I am not handing them cash and I don't give their manic bands charging privileges. I buy them in $20 cards and hand them a couple in the morning so if they get hungry and want a snack or a gift they can get it. Obviously your kids are young and be with you but the gift cards are still a great idea

We do a “pick three prizes” rule with the kids because it easily gets out of control. I usually end up spending around $300 on them and another $200 on stuff I might like (Christmas ornaments for example). I also always go over the DP allotments because we do a lot of character meals still so I factor that in. Given you have DP, I think you will be fine with $1000. Have fun!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter