Splash Mountain Being Changed?

This is an urban legend. There is no evidence to support any of this, but there is quite a bit of evidence to the contrary. There are a number of benefits attended or supported by walt Disney that were for minority and Jewish causes. There's a great deal of his personal letters at the Disney library that directly refutes these charges.

Mind you, that doesn't mean he NEVER said or thought things that would be judged harshly, by 21st century standards. He was a product of the first half of the 20th century, and he had the mores of a white man of that time period. He was no more racist, anti-semitic or homophobic than the average man of his time.

I think both of you should read the book "Vault of Walt" right now. Walt Disney was a very open minded and caring man, and there really isn't any evidence of racism, anti-semitism, etc. Any reasoning in this is bunk and this book outlines personal accounts of that and Walt's reasoning behind certain things that may seem racist. One particular thing it brings to light is how Walt didn't want to sugar coat life, in that there is and always will be evil, however good can always triumph over it. Song of the South wasn't him being racist or anything, it was showing the evils of racism and how it can be overcome. I'll sum it up with a Disney quote "When we do fantasy, we must not lose sight of reality."

Back on topic, I see no change to this ride soon, the uproar would be tremendous, its just too classic of a ride to change.

Let's stop turning the man into a saint. Despite the persistent stories over the years, he was not a racist and he was not an anti-Semite by most of the accounts I've read. However, he was also largely indifferent to them and in many ways ignorant -- and certainly not someone actively trying to help either blacks or Jews.

Also, when he turned on the suspected "communists" in his company -- aka the union -- he gave support to anti-commie causes that were also horribly anti-Semitic and were well-known as such at the time. And he did give Hitler's filmmaker, Leni Riefenstahl, a personal tour the Disney studios -- although my understanding is he didn't fully realize who she was at the time and when she later wrote to him he never replied.

There is no way this is true. They did not even keep the steam boat I assume due to popularity. That has a much better fit, and lasted like 1 month.

Actually adding Tiana to the Mardi Gras Themed rest already at POR would make sense.. but they didn't do that either. They could have added another Chart breakfast and had a huge improvement on # of guests at this rest.

Eh..there are no mountains in Louisiana.

Actually, there is one (take it from a lifelong LA resident)... Driskill Mountain is the highest point of elevation in Louisiana at 535 feet.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driskill_Mountain

Actually, there is one (take it from a lifelong LA resident)... Driskill Mountain is the highest point of elevation in Louisiana at 535 feet.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driskill_Mountain

Technically a hill, at least according to your link... Splash Hill doesn't have the same ring to it.

there are plenty of reasons why all of those examples you offer are fundamentally flawed.

Given the claimed abundance, it is noteworthy that you declined to provide a single example of any of these supposed flaws. The Crows in Dumbo (a film Disney still actively markets) are not racist stereotypes? That's a revelation I'm sure many here would have loved to have the specifics on. And King Louie from The Jungle Book (another Disney collection special avialable today) isn't a not-so-subtle African American stereotype? Tell us all the gory details!

We're waiting......;)

The fact that SOtS is not on DVD pisses me off! It's is the least racist Disney film there is. The fact that they won't sell thus but they will sell Dumbo is crazy.

PC makes me sick it will be the undoing if this country this and lawyers!!!!! You have to worry about every little thing that comes out if your mouth because it might offend someone. We can't keep score in Little league, we have to assimilate to people that move here instead if them assimilating to us like it should be!!!

It's a joke that we are one of the only countries that don't have a national language. You have to respect people's beliefs except if the are a Christian or Jew!

We are becoming soft as a people I hate thus topic I wish everyone wasn't so sensitive!!!! I'm glad I'll be dead in 50 years I am scared to see what this country will look like then!!

Bingo, we have a winner here:thumbsup2

I have talked to blacks who have seen it and didn't have a problem with it.

Given the claimed abundance, it is noteworthy that you declined to provide a single example of any of these supposed flaws. The Crows in Dumbo (a film Disney still actively markets) are not racist stereotypes? That's a revelation I'm sure many here would have loved to have the specifics on. And King Louie from The Jungle Book (another Disney collection special avialable today) isn't a not-so-subtle African American stereotype? Tell us all the gory details!

We're waiting......;)

What kind of weirdo resurrects a year-old thread to bring back a wacked-out straw man argument? This has nothing to do with King Louie or anything else.

Get a clue and come back in another ten months. See ya then.

:clown:

moonpie85 said:
I'm 26 and agree, I know nothing of the story and grew up on Disney movies. I'd say this rumor has a chance. However, changing such a park icon will be tough and cause such an uproar I also wouldn't be surprised if it never happened.

If it does happen, I predict it will be after Fantasyland expansion. Not soon.

I agree as well. I'm 26 and did not know the story of splash mountain until I was in high school. We mainly don't know the story because of the fact that the movie was never released in the US. But I can't see PATF taking SM. The theme doesn't work.

I agree as well. I'm 26 and did not know the story of splash mountain until I was in high school. We mainly don't know the story because of the fact that the movie was never released in the US. But I can't see PATF taking SM. The theme doesn't work.

The movie was released in the US, most recently to theaters in the early 80's. It has not been released on DVD or video in the US.

I hope they don't change it! I'd love a ride with Tiana, but can't they make another attraction? That's what we need! Not meet and greets, or stores, or restaurants. The new fantasyland will have what overall, 2 new rides? We need more than pretty things to look at.

I hope they don't change it! I'd love a ride with Tiana, but can't they make another attraction? That's what we need! Not meet and greets, or stores, or restaurants. The new fantasyland will have what overall, 2 new rides? We need more than pretty things to look at.

It's a year old thread, they clearly didn't change it. TIme to let this one die.

What kind of weirdo resurrects a year-old thread to bring back a wacked-out straw man argument? This has nothing to do with King Louie or anything else.

Get a clue and come back in another ten months. See ya then.

:clown:

Not worth it Larry. Revisionist historians don't need to allow facts or historical context interfere with their causes.

Hopefully the madness will come to a halt on November 7th, the elections will be over, and we will have 3 more years before it all gets cranked up again.

It's cyclical.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter